November 20, 2017, 05:34:14 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 196519 times)

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #640 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
☆Giant steps are what you take
Harambe on the moon☆

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #641 on: July 04, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
I discovered another lifehack to improve your culinary life.

If you're making a smoothie with milk, you can cut the milk with about three parts milk, one part water. The water reduces the calories in the smoothie, and also decreases your milk usage by 25%, which almost no negative effect on flavour.

So, next time you're making a smoothie, don't just use all milk. Save yourself some calories, and money, by putting a splash of water in there instead. I'm literally serious.

Have you tried using rice or almond milk in place of cow milk?

Just curious about the taste. Not sure if either would go well in a smoothie but been too afraid to try it out for myself. xD

I used to make smoothies back home with almond or coconut milk only because cow milk made me sick sometimes. If you use vanilla flavored almond or coconut milk then you don't need to add much extra sugar. ;D Coconut milk gives more of a watery taste unless you add some yogurt.

I've actually been contemplating making smoothies for breakfast lately, but I don't know what kind to make. Can everyone recommend their favorite smoothies (recipes, please)? Please and thank you! I'll try to make a recommendation when I've actually made one. I've been looking up recipes online haha

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #642 on: July 04, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »
Re: Smoothies

I actually don't like milk at all, so my smoothie consists of: ~1 frozen banana, 4-5 frozen strawberries, and maybe a cup or two of orange juice (I pour the orange juice so it almost - but not quite - covers the chopped fruit in the blender. Your mileage may vary, depending on how thick you like your smoothies.)

No ice necessary, since the fruit is frozen. I suppose it might be a bit high in sugar, but it's fructose, and it's often my only fruit of the day. *shrug*

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #643 on: July 04, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
I think almond milk in smoothies tastes great. Adds a nice nutty flavor!

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #644 on: July 04, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »

If you're making a smoothie with milk, you can cut the milk with about three parts milk, one part water. The water reduces the calories in the smoothie, and also decreases your milk usage by 25%, which almost no negative effect on flavour.

So, next time you're making a smoothie, don't just use all milk. Save yourself some calories, and money, by putting a splash of water in there instead. I'm literally serious.

Just curious about the taste. Not sure if either would go well in a smoothie but been too afraid to try it out for myself. xD

Afraid to try a minor recipe substitution?

What is the worst that could happen? Assuming no allergies, You don't like it, and dump it out.

You, my dear, get the prize for being the most risk adverse person ever to leave their home country.

The prize is a digital wink.
 :wink:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #645 on: July 04, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »

Afraid to try a minor recipe substitution?

What is the worst that could happen? Assuming no allergies, You don't like it, and dump it out.

You, my dear, get the prize for being the most risk adverse person ever to leave their home country.

The prize is a digital wink.
 :wink:

xD

I have a thing about food waste... so even if I don't like it, I'll still chug it down. For this reason I ask for a lot of opinions on certain types of food combinations to help me decide if the risk is worth possibly being all like:

Offline Zaiterade

• Veteran
« Reply #646 on: July 05, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Today just went from 0-100 real quick, but in a great way. I was supposed to have my open class today. I'm not planning on staying and I don't really care how it turns out, but i'll do my part. Just wasn't looking forward to people I don't know and most likely will never see again whining about stupid stuff in the lesson.

Anyways, yesterday my coteacher was MIA because she "burned herself". Today she wasn't here either, and apparently didn't let the school know either. Another KET whom I have never taught with before comes up to me:

Her: Are you planning on staying here next year?
Me: No.
Her: Ok, your open class is cancelled.
Me: Great.

I guess you could say that right after independence day....I have declared my independence from this system....or something like that.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #647 on: July 05, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
harambe matata
what a wonderful ape
harambe matata
shot you in your cage

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #648 on: July 05, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
The most thrilling comeback in ESL game history.

Team 6 is in the hole. Deep in the hole. A series of mistakes and bad luck seems to ensure that victory is nigh impossible today. Lacking all hope for a brighter future, when their turn comes around, Team 6 ironically cheer for minus points in order to see how low their humiliation can go. Darkness and depression consume all.

Penultimate round, a fluke answer and scoring bonanza bring Team 6 out of the red. The mood shifts from despondency to tempered optimism. Team 1's once insurmountable lead is shaken. "안 돼ㅐㅐㅐㅐㅐㅐ!" they shriek. Yet, being 2nd graders, arrogance wins their hearts and the taunting resumes. Surely our lead is secure, right?

Wrong. A flubbed answer by Team 2 opens the floor to all comers and Team 6 grabs their chance. This is a "cultural question" and, as Team 6 are book smart but lacking in general cultural knowledge that extends beyond Obuhwatch and Twiceuh, the players take a wild gamble on the answer. Their courage pays off. The answer is worth a towering ten points. A ray of sunshine appears...

This sets up a two-way tie going into the bonus round. Team 1's flippant condescension melts away as the momentum shifts to Team 6. The clock, unsympathetic to the unfolding drama, marches inexorably forward: 9:45 is coming. Sweat dribbles down the players' brows as the air con is not allowed to be used on this day in July. But as Aries the God of war cares not for air con, the action continues.

The last two contenders stand ready, and the final question is displayed. Despite the high stakes it seems like Team 1 has been shocked into submission and is reacting in slow motion. Team 6, sensing looming victory, nimbly dismiss the bonus question using grammar points skillfully taught by their stunningly handsome foreign teacher. Pandemonium ensues, Team 6 erupts in whoops of joy as Team 1 sits in subdued silence. Victory and defeat are brothers. Yin and Yang.

Team 6 gleefully reap the spoils of hard fought victory, aka Tootsie Pop miniatures.

This victory shall echo through the halls of time, the strategy and methods employed will be studied and discussed for millenia. Never forgotten will be, this day of dreams realized. Or until PE class...

Today was a good day.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #649 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
I just walked barefoot to the bathroom and back.

Probably not doing my socks any favors.

But it felt so good.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #650 on: July 05, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
The most thrilling comeback in ESL game history.

Team 6 is in the hole. Deep in the hole. A series of mistakes and bad luck seems to ensure that victory is nigh impossible today. Lacking all hope for a brighter future, when their turn comes around, Team 6 ironically cheer for minus points in order to see how low their humiliation can go. Darkness and depression consume all.

Penultimate round, a fluke answer and scoring bonanza bring Team 6 out of the red. The mood shifts from despondency to tempered optimism. Team 1's once insurmountable lead is shaken. "안 돼ㅐㅐㅐㅐㅐㅐ!" they shriek. Yet, being 2nd graders, arrogance wins their hearts and the taunting resumes. Surely our lead is secure, right?

Wrong. A flubbed answer by Team 2 opens the floor to all comers and Team 6 grabs their chance. This is a "cultural question" and, as Team 6 are book smart but lacking in general cultural knowledge that extends beyond Obuhwatch and Twiceuh, the players take a wild gamble on the answer. Their courage pays off. The answer is worth a towering ten points. A ray of sunshine appears...

This sets up a two-way tie going into the bonus round. Team 1's flippant condescension melts away as the momentum shifts to Team 6. The clock, unsympathetic to the unfolding drama, marches inexorably forward: 9:45 is coming. Sweat dribbles down the players' brows as the air con is not allowed to be used on this day in July. But as Aries the God of war cares not for air con, the action continues.

The last two contenders stand ready, and the final question is displayed. Despite the high stakes it seems like Team 1 has been shocked into submission and is reacting in slow motion. Team 6, sensing looming victory, nimbly dismiss the bonus question using grammar points skillfully taught by their stunningly handsome foreign teacher. Pandemonium ensues, Team 6 erupts in whoops of joy as Team 1 sits in subdued silence. Victory and defeat are brothers. Yin and Yang.

Team 6 gleefully reap the spoils of hard fought victory, aka Tootsie Pop miniatures.

This victory shall echo through the halls of time, the strategy and methods employed will be studied and discussed for millenia. Never forgotten will be, this day of dreams realized. Or until PE class...

Today was a good day.

Beautiful post. I wait with bated breath for the epik retelling of the inevitable rematch!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #651 on: July 05, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Thursday and Friday we resume classes after finals, so I'm gonna play the werewolf/mafia game with the classes I have on those days. Didn't see any cards online that I really liked so I decided to spend all morning making my own. I spent about two hours sketching and tracing on the window and even though I know objectively they kinda suck, I feel proud of myself for doing it so I wanted to share.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #652 on: July 05, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
On Friday I did a lesson on Canada for Canada day and my student drew me this! so cute!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2016, 12:43:14 PM »
Smoothie A: Frozen blueberries from HomePlus (they're cheap, often on sale, and unsweetened, which is important, because processed sugar is basically poison), one banana. One and a half bananas if you're feeling luxurious. Add some milk and water as desired. Blend well. It's frosty and cool, and super delicious, without anything bad for you in it.

Smoothie B: One to one-and-a-half bananas. Unsweetened cocoa powder (again, processed sugars are gross - don't eat them). Some super soft tofu. Top up with milk and water. You need less milk, because the tofu adds a lovely thick, creamy texture.

Smoothie C: Only recommended if you plan on exercising or have exercised within an hour or so of drinking it. Milk, soft tofu, water, unsweetened peanut butter, banana, and a tiny bit of unsweetened cocoa powder. It's similar to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, but not terrible for your life.

Note: Wheat germ, flax seed, bran, etc can all be added for some extra roughage and are highly recommended, but will definitely increase the prices of your smoothies.

Thanks! I'll definitely try those~ I've never considered using tofu as an ingredient for a smoothie but it sounds interesting (in a good way) so I will have to try that out. Thanks again!

Also, is there any particular reason that Smoothie C should only be had before or after a workout besides the calorie count (I'm assuming that's the reason)? Because it sounds really good but I don't want to work out... :blank: lol I need to... but I don't want to...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »

I actually don't like milk at all, so my smoothie consists of: ~1 frozen banana, 4-5 frozen strawberries, and maybe a cup or two of orange juice (I pour the orange juice so it almost - but not quite - covers the chopped fruit in the blender. Your mileage may vary, depending on how thick you like your smoothies.)

No ice necessary, since the fruit is frozen. I suppose it might be a bit high in sugar, but it's fructose, and it's often my only fruit of the day. *shrug*

Haha for me it's not necessarily the only fruit of the day but I really hate bananas unless they're in smoothies and that's pretty much the only way I'll eat them. Also, do you buy the strawberries frozen or do you freeze them yourself? Stupid question, I know.

I was thinking soy milk (can't drink milk) but I will give almond milk a try. :D

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #655 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »

Haha for me it's not necessarily the only fruit of the day but I really hate bananas unless they're in smoothies and that's pretty much the only way I'll eat them. Also, do you buy the strawberries frozen or do you freeze them yourself? Stupid question, I know.

I was thinking soy milk (can't drink milk) but I will give almond milk a try. :D

I've done both, actually. The store-bought ones seem to be smaller and easier to cut, and the ones that I buy and freeze tend to be bigger (might just be my supplier - but you can only buy the fresh ones in-season, which may also be a factor). Just remember to cut off the greens beforehand - it saves some time, and then you can freeze them on a tray, just laying the cut part down, flat and secure.

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #656 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
We're only taking 40 kids for summer camp (10 per class), but we've had nearly 100 sign up for it, so we're doing a lottery style drawing. My coteacher says that if we draw any kids that I don't want at camp I can eliminate them because no one will know and I can change it to a student I like. :evil:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #657 on: July 05, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
All this talk of smoothies. I need to get me a blender!

Elementary exams are this week so for the remaining two weeks I just have to do activities/games that review the previous chapters. Gonna just use whatever extra activities that we ran out of time for  8) Very minimal prep!

Now to plan summer camp for middle school  :cry:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #658 on: July 05, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »
#basedcowboyshirt: Ah, okay, haha. I'll try to fit it an excercise here and there. Thanks for the suggestions, though! They sound great. Will try one this weekend.

yirj17: I just got a blender haha I haven't actually used it yet, though.

chelseajk: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #659 on: July 05, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
Had a chat with my coT. Persuaded her that cooking was a good idea for camp! Turns out she was just worried about it being too complex and expensive. I'm like nah! Simplicity!

Camp is also shortened by one less period a day! Which makes me feel less stressed about planning it. Apparently they decided that that extra period would be "a burden."

I should get a blender and then we could make smoothies for summer camp  :laugh: