November 19, 2017, 11:50:24 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 196061 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #620 on: July 01, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »
I asked the teacher of the student who asked me for my phone number if it was normal for teachers to give students their phone numbers and she was like "yeah absolutely, how else would they get in contact with you for an emergency?"

Also learned that this particular student, who is by far one of the brightest English students I have, doesn't even go to hagwon, she does self-study! I will be happy to help her as much as I can, since she's so motivated. Might even start having lunch with her after finals/next semester.

It's almost like I might have meaning in my job again lol

I just wonder how you'll react when you get that emergency call. :shocked:  I hope you've been practicing your emergency drills.

hahaha it seems that emergency drills are a big thing in elementary school but I teach in middle school and they don't make a big deal out of them. we've only had two, including the city-wide drill, this semester.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #621 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
I asked the teacher of the student who asked me for my phone number if it was normal for teachers to give students their phone numbers and she was like "yeah absolutely, how else would they get in contact with you for an emergency?"

Also learned that this particular student, who is by far one of the brightest English students I have, doesn't even go to hagwon, she does self-study! I will be happy to help her as much as I can, since she's so motivated. Might even start having lunch with her after finals/next semester.

I just wonder how you'll react when you get that emergency call. :shocked:  I hope you've been practicing your emergency drills.

hahaha it seems that emergency drills are a big thing in elementary school but I teach in middle school and they don't make a big deal out of them. we've only had two, including the city-wide drill, this semester.

As a general rule, phone numbers given out "in case of emergency" are used for emergencies as classified by the dialer, and may not be an emergency as classified by the recipient of the call.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #622 on: July 01, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »

As a general rule, phone numbers given out "in case of emergency" are used for emergencies as classified by the dialer, and may not be an emergency as classified by the recipient of the call.

I was told by the cot I asked "don't worry, they know not to bother the teachers with stupid crap" lol

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #623 on: July 01, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
I'm loving this rain.

It's so much cooler right now. c:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #624 on: July 02, 2016, 02:16:56 AM »
I'm loving this rain.

I can't sleep because it sounds like someone is trying to bash my walls in.  I have an amazing veranda that I love, but the floor-to-ceiling sliding doors are killing me right now :huh:

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #625 on: July 04, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
No classes today or tomorrow because of exams. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #626 on: July 04, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
I'm loving this rain.

I can't sleep because it sounds like someone is trying to bash my walls in.  I have an amazing veranda that I love, but the floor-to-ceiling sliding doors are killing me right now :huh:

I'm sorry. ;c

I used to have the same issue (once lived in an apartment that may as well have been made of aluminum), but then I moved into an apartment that was built RIGHT NEXT to some train tracks, and now I can sleep through pretty much anything.

It's both a blessing and a curse.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
This weekend I went to Busan and went to my favourite dog cage on both Saturday AND Sunday. Over the last year or so I've gone there so frequently that I am definitely a regular despite not living in Busan. On Saturday the manager who I had not seen in ages gave me a huge discount (coffee is a bit more pricey there) AND let only me see some new born golden retriever/dalmatian mix puppies <3. I felt like a VIP! Then he goes "Do you want a puppy? You  can take one in 6 weeks" It was so hard to say no. No time, and can't begin to afford it right now. IT makes my soul happy  ;D

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
This weekend I went to Busan and went to my favourite dog cage on both Saturday AND Sunday. Over the last year or so I've gone there so frequently that I am definitely a regular despite not living in Busan. On Saturday the manager who I had not seen in ages gave me a huge discount (coffee is a bit more pricey there) AND let only me see some new born golden retriever/dalmatian mix puppies <3. I felt like a VIP! Then he goes "Do you want a puppy? You  can take one in 6 weeks" It was so hard to say no. No time, and can't begin to afford it right now. IT makes my soul happy  ;D

What's the name of this cafe? All of the dog cafes I've visited so far have been kind of bad.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

The fck?  :huh:

*continues reading*

Ah, I get it.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #630 on: July 04, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Yesterday I saw one of my students on the bus, and she asked for my phone number because she wants to be an English teacher and she wanted to talk to me about it. Of course, in the interest of being professional I had to refuse, and explained to her gently that while I don't know the rules in Korea, in America it's not okay for teachers to give their phone numbers to students. Even so, it made me feel kind of special :)

All of my high school students have the personal phone numbers for their homeroom teachers, and for many of the other teachers here too.  I can see how it wouldn't be necessary for elementary, but at the high school level the kids live in dorms and the teachers are basically like their parents. They're very close with them and come to them with both academic and personal problems.   My guess would be middle school falls somewhere in between? I don't give my number to current students, but I do give it to them when they're no longer in my classroom.  It feels weird because of our culture, but here it's pretty normal.

What's the name of this cafe? All of the dog cafes I've visited so far have been kind of bad.

I've been to Bauhaus in Hongdae and it was fun.  The dogs look very well cared for, and they have lots of big dogs too.  I just wish they had more natural light/windows, as it's located in the lower level of the building.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:08:01 AM by nomadicmadda »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #631 on: July 04, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »

The fck?  :huh:

*continues reading*

Ah, I get it.
Bwahah oops! Not a cage.... cafe....:)

I've been to Bauhaus in Hongdae and it was fun.  The dogs look very well cared for, and they have lots of big dogs too.  I just wish they had more natural light/windows, as it's located in the lower level of the building.
I also really liked bau house! I love big dogs <3
This weekend I went to Busan and went to my favourite dog cafe on both Saturday AND Sunday. Over the last year or so I've gone there so frequently that I am definitely a regular despite not living in Busan. On Saturday the manager who I had not seen in ages gave me a huge discount (coffee is a bit more pricey there) AND let only me see some new born golden retriever/dalmatian mix puppies <3. I felt like a VIP! Then he goes "Do you want a puppy? You  can take one in 6 weeks" It was so hard to say no. No time, and can't begin to afford it right now. IT makes my soul happy  ;D

Its called 덕수네 and the dogs are very happy, healthy, and well taken care of. They have a few locations in Busan (some better than others) and one in Daegu. I have also been to bad ones before and this is definitely not one of them  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #632 on: July 04, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »

Its called 덕수네 and the dogs are very happy, healthy, and well taken care of. They have a few locations in Busan (some better than others) and one in Daegu. I have also been to bad ones before and this is definitely not one of them  :smiley:

Nice, thank you, both. I'll be sure to pay a visit to both places the next time I'm in those areas.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #633 on: July 04, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
Yesterday I saw one of my students on the bus, and she asked for my phone number because she wants to be an English teacher and she wanted to talk to me about it. Of course, in the interest of being professional I had to refuse, and explained to her gently that while I don't know the rules in Korea, in America it's not okay for teachers to give their phone numbers to students. Even so, it made me feel kind of special :)

All of my high school students have the personal phone numbers for their homeroom teachers, and for many of the other teachers here too.  I can see how it wouldn't be necessary for elementary, but at the high school level the kids live in dorms and the teachers are basically like their parents. They're very close with them and come to them with both academic and personal problems.   My guess would be middle school falls somewhere in between? I don't give my number to current students, but I do give it to them when they're no longer in my classroom.  It feels weird because of our culture, but here it's pretty normal.

I actually asked the coteacher of the class that student is in about it, and she said it was fine for me to give her my number. :) Haven't given it to her yet, though, because since that happened in class so her cellphone was locked away in the cellphone locker haha. Actually this student is incredibly motivated and has amazing English despite NOT having the money for hagwon. She must spend hours studying on her own so I'm thrilled to help such a dedicated student.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #634 on: July 04, 2016, 12:34:52 PM »
Been meaning to listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks for quite a while and recently have begun doing so. Just finished my favorite book (3!). Jim Dale is excellent  :azn:

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #635 on: July 04, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
Been meaning to listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks for quite a while and recently have begun doing so. Just finished my favorite book (3!). Jim Dale is excellent  :azn:

Where did you get them? Off of itunes?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #636 on: July 04, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »

Where did you get them? Off of itunes?

My library back home has a digital library -- Overdrive -- and all the HP audiobooks are on there.

However, there are also a lot of audiobooks on youtube! The HP ones tend to get removed pretty quickly but someone always uploads them again.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #637 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
I discovered another lifehack to improve your culinary life.

If you're making a smoothie with milk, you can cut the milk with about three parts milk, one part water. The water reduces the calories in the smoothie, and also decreases your milk usage by 25%, which almost no negative effect on flavour.

So, next time you're making a smoothie, don't just use all milk. Save yourself some calories, and money, by putting a splash of water in there instead. I'm literally serious.

Have you tried using rice or almond milk in place of cow milk?

Just curious about the taste. Not sure if either would go well in a smoothie but been too afraid to try it out for myself. xD

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #638 on: July 04, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »

If you're making a smoothie with milk, you can cut the milk with about three parts milk, one part water. The water reduces the calories in the smoothie, and also decreases your milk usage by 25%, which almost no negative effect on flavour.

So, next time you're making a smoothie, don't just use all milk. Save yourself some calories, and money, by putting a splash of water in there instead. I'm literally serious.

Just curious about the taste. Not sure if either would go well in a smoothie but been too afraid to try it out for myself. xD

I used to make smoothies back home with almond or coconut milk only because cow milk made me sick sometimes. If you use vanilla flavored almond or coconut milk then you don't need to add much extra sugar. ;D Coconut milk gives more of a watery taste unless you add some yogurt.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #639 on: July 04, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »

I used to make smoothies back home with almond or coconut milk only because cow milk made me sick sometimes. If you use vanilla flavored almond or coconut milk then you don't need to add much extra sugar. ;D Coconut milk gives more of a watery taste unless you add some yogurt.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try then. c: