September 21, 2017, 09:37:03 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 172911 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #620 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
Yesterday I saw one of my students on the bus, and she asked for my phone number because she wants to be an English teacher and she wanted to talk to me about it. Of course, in the interest of being professional I had to refuse, and explained to her gently that while I don't know the rules in Korea, in America it's not okay for teachers to give their phone numbers to students. Even so, it made me feel kind of special :)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #621 on: June 29, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Sweet.  My school has the plague and we have half days all week.

Although maybe this is indicative of another major illness outbreak.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #622 on: June 29, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
Ohhhh yeah.  I downloaded the kindle app on my school computer so now I can not do work without blatantly looking like I'm not doing work.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
Small victory today.

My main school gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to teaching. So I've started teaching 3rd grade phonics at the beginning of class. I have double block periods with 3rd grade so I spend a lot of time with them on Tuesdays.

Anyways, today I introduced the short 'a' and 'e'. And the first class wasn't understanding the short 'a' - even though this is NOT the first time they've heard it. However, it is the first time I've labeled it as such and asked the students to circle words that have that sound. They also had to put the words in ABC order.
The first class was having a really hard time because they can't really read yet, and the sight of the words just put them off trying. My main CoT was really doubtful they could do it, saying it was too hard for them. But I insisted we continued and finish because I've noticed that my 6th graders can't sound out words or put words in alphabetical order very well (especially when using a dictionary).

I went to sound out and say each word so they could focus on hearing the sound and played the Alphablocks episode that talks about the short 'a'. Great series for phonics btw.  :azn:

After trudging through the lesson and doing the book portion, they took a break and we started the 2nd block. I again, started with phonics, this time the short 'e'. The setup was the same. Listen the Alphablocks, circle the words with that sound, and put those words in ABC order.

And you know what? They got it!  ;D
They listened, circled the correct words and even put them in alphabetical order with little problems. Just one of those moments of small victories. I knew it was hard for them and a lot of new information, but I know it's something that will really help them with English.
 :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn:
Your Totoro avatar makes me happy. Haha.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #624 on: June 29, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
I have no lessons to teach today because exams are next week and students need "study time".  ;D

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #625 on: June 29, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »
I have no lessons to teach today because exams are next week and students need "study time".  ;D
Saaaame. It's pretty great. I'm using it to plan my summer vacation.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #626 on: June 29, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
I've had a sore throat lately and miraculously the school lunches have had non-spicy soups all week!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #627 on: June 29, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
I've had a sore throat lately and miraculously the school lunches have had non-spicy soups all week!

I was in a fermentation room on Sunday for 3 hours (18C and humidity controlled) and my throat was destroyed on Monday. I was supposed to do voice recordings of 10 stories for the kids to listen to but I sounded like a frog. hahaha

The soup has been like that, too.  :azn:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #628 on: June 29, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
This is now the third time me and my co teacher have snuck out after our classes to go grab a mid day snack, coffee or meal? Nothing more than 20min but it's nice to get out once in a while.

Feels nice to have a cool co teacher hehe.  :evil:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #629 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
I asked the teacher of the student who asked me for my phone number if it was normal for teachers to give students their phone numbers and she was like "yeah absolutely, how else would they get in contact with you for an emergency?"

Also learned that this particular student, who is by far one of the brightest English students I have, doesn't even go to hagwon, she does self-study! I will be happy to help her as much as I can, since she's so motivated. Might even start having lunch with her after finals/next semester.

It's almost like I might have meaning in my job again lol

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #630 on: June 30, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
I asked the teacher of the student who asked me for my phone number if it was normal for teachers to give students their phone numbers and she was like "yeah absolutely, how else would they get in contact with you for an emergency?"

Also learned that this particular student, who is by far one of the brightest English students I have, doesn't even go to hagwon, she does self-study! I will be happy to help her as much as I can, since she's so motivated. Might even start having lunch with her after finals/next semester.

I just wonder how you'll react when you get that emergency call. :shocked:  I hope you've been practicing your emergency drills.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #631 on: July 01, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »

I just wonder how you'll react when you get that emergency call. :shocked:  I hope you've been practicing your emergency drills.

hahaha it seems that emergency drills are a big thing in elementary school but I teach in middle school and they don't make a big deal out of them. we've only had two, including the city-wide drill, this semester.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #632 on: July 01, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »

hahaha it seems that emergency drills are a big thing in elementary school but I teach in middle school and they don't make a big deal out of them. we've only had two, including the city-wide drill, this semester.

As a general rule, phone numbers given out "in case of emergency" are used for emergencies as classified by the dialer, and may not be an emergency as classified by the recipient of the call.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #633 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »

As a general rule, phone numbers given out "in case of emergency" are used for emergencies as classified by the dialer, and may not be an emergency as classified by the recipient of the call.

I was told by the cot I asked "don't worry, they know not to bother the teachers with stupid crap" lol

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #634 on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
I'm loving this rain.

It's so much cooler right now. c:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #635 on: July 02, 2016, 05:16:56 AM »
I'm loving this rain.

I can't sleep because it sounds like someone is trying to bash my walls in.  I have an amazing veranda that I love, but the floor-to-ceiling sliding doors are killing me right now :huh:

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #636 on: July 04, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
No classes today or tomorrow because of exams. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #637 on: July 04, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
I'm loving this rain.

I can't sleep because it sounds like someone is trying to bash my walls in.  I have an amazing veranda that I love, but the floor-to-ceiling sliding doors are killing me right now :huh:

I'm sorry. ;c

I used to have the same issue (once lived in an apartment that may as well have been made of aluminum), but then I moved into an apartment that was built RIGHT NEXT to some train tracks, and now I can sleep through pretty much anything.

It's both a blessing and a curse.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #638 on: July 04, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
This weekend I went to Busan and went to my favourite dog cage on both Saturday AND Sunday. Over the last year or so I've gone there so frequently that I am definitely a regular despite not living in Busan. On Saturday the manager who I had not seen in ages gave me a huge discount (coffee is a bit more pricey there) AND let only me see some new born golden retriever/dalmatian mix puppies <3. I felt like a VIP! Then he goes "Do you want a puppy? You  can take one in 6 weeks" It was so hard to say no. No time, and can't begin to afford it right now. IT makes my soul happy  ;D

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #639 on: July 04, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
This weekend I went to Busan and went to my favourite dog cage on both Saturday AND Sunday. Over the last year or so I've gone there so frequently that I am definitely a regular despite not living in Busan. On Saturday the manager who I had not seen in ages gave me a huge discount (coffee is a bit more pricey there) AND let only me see some new born golden retriever/dalmatian mix puppies <3. I felt like a VIP! Then he goes "Do you want a puppy? You  can take one in 6 weeks" It was so hard to say no. No time, and can't begin to afford it right now. IT makes my soul happy  ;D

What's the name of this cafe? All of the dog cafes I've visited so far have been kind of bad.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment