November 20, 2017, 05:37:44 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 196522 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
I actually have enough free time today to finish the lesson materials for next week's classes. It's been a while since the last time I've been able to keep my work at work.

Offline MAA

• Adventurer
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
I wasn't very happy when I had to change schools but it seems things are really working out. I needed this change. It was science day last week and my co told me I could stay home. She promised she wouldn't look for me. I am in love...lol! She also brings me treats and makes me coffee every morning. On Monday she brought me a notebook. We now have matching notebooks. ;D She also told me that should I need to leave early I should let her know.

This is only a drop in the ocean of kindness that I have experienced from Koreans. I do count my blessings that I can enjoy this amazing opportunity to live and work here.

It's 2pm and I can go home  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to the OP. It is the first time in a long time I have enjoyed reading a thread on Waygook.

Offline CazBamber

• Newgookin
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
As a brand new teacher I just pulled off my first really successful lesson. The students all participated, even the ones who usually misbehave in class, and everybody seemed really engaged. Teaching middle school has been a challenge and this was a win!

My CT just pulled me aside to tell me I am doing a really good job and though we have our disagreements I could tell she was really sincere.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
My co-teacher just complimented me on my neck skin  :huh:

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
We had bibimbap, kiwi and churros today for lunch.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
So nobody showed up to my 7th period  :rolleyes: conversation class for the non-English teachers again this week. Love it so much.  8)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »
One of my students gave me chocolate today. I don't know why, but it was nice. :azn:

Online Sillyleaf

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
My grade 6 students threw me a surprise birthday party after class!  They brought snacks and drinks, sung happy birthday and gave me handmade cards.   Makes me glad I've decided to renew my contract!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »
My grade 6 students threw me a surprise birthday party after class!  They brought snacks and drinks, sung happy birthday and gave me handmade cards.   Makes me glad I've decided to renew my contract!

That's sooo super sweet! I love that!!

Today I hit the ball once in volleyball and e'eryone was impressed. It was actually a pretty decent shot >:D And redeeming since it was the last to go my way and I missed the other few that went my direction. Then at hwesik afterward I killed a bottle of soju on my own and e'eryone thought it 'amazing.'

I used to think soju was swill. Now I drink it like water  :cry:

Offline skye93

• Waygookin
Re: RAVING/HAPPY MEGATHREAD
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »
I did a role play with my elementary 3rd graders this morning and most of the class got really into it. One group of girls even added new characters and new scenes! My students are very low level so seeing them producing English voluntarily really warms my heart and makes me feel like I'm doing my job right ;D Happy Thursday everyone~

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
Got back from my travel school and it took me a moment to realize my computer monitor was suddenly twice as big as it once was! While I had no issue with the smaller screen, I'm not gonna complain about the surprise upgrade!  ;D

Online Sillyleaf

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »

Today I hit the ball once in volleyball and e'eryone was impressed. It was actually a pretty decent shot >:D And redeeming since it was the last to go my way and I missed the other few that went my direction. Then at hwesik afterward I killed a bottle of soju on my own and e'eryone thought it 'amazing.'

Haha Volleyball skills!  I impress them by the fact I can serve from the back and make it over 3/5 times.

You kind of become numb to soju after awhile. Ask for Somake  then  slam the end of your metal chopstick into the glass to mix it. That still impresses the teachers I work with even after  almost a year here  XD

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
I was enjoying my job a lot last year so I resigned andddddd this year it's even better. So I'm chuffed.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

Haha Volleyball skills!  I impress them by the fact I can serve from the back and make it over 3/5 times.

You kind of become numb to soju after awhile. Ask for Somake  then  slam the end of your metal chopstick into the glass to mix it. That still impresses the teachers I work with even after  almost a year here  XD

The best way is to stick a chopstick right centre of your glass then hit that chopstick with your other chopstick, like you're playing the triangle? haha

I think Sejong invented this mehtod.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »
My students fooled me today! I normally don't teach this class on Fridays but a student came to the office and asked me to come to class because there was a schedule change.

Off I went, wondering what on earth I was going to teach today and by the time I got there I realized I'd been had.

I'm so proud of them!   ;D

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Have any of your students pulled any pranks on you today or have you pulled pranks on them? I'm curious to see how students react to april fool's lol.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »
@yirj17, the same thing happened to me last year, but it was true - my first moved class actually was on April Fools Day, what terrible timing, yikes!

Today my first class had all of their desks completely turned around. I walked in backwards, wearing backwards clothes, and exclaimed, "We match!"

Now to see what the other classes have up their sleeves...

sarahsliz

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
My students tried to tell me that today is a Korean holiday.  My KT had to explain to them that Korea doesn't own April Fools Day.. :P

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
Hmmm backwards clothes! I dig that idea! Maybe next time I'll rearrange the classroom so everything is facing the wrong way!!  :evil:

I forgot until last minute so earlier this week I just did a basic "surprise speaking test but not really" gag at my middle schools. One school just accepted their fate and hit the books (allowed them a 'minute' to prep). But at my other middle, I got exclamations of "Oh my God!" and fearful faces and pleas of "Teacher! 2 minutes, 2 minutes! Please!"  :laugh:

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »
I made up a very official looking powerpoint slide that said "English Listening Exam. Chapter 1," and had a stack of papers in my hand (just random stuff from the scratch paper box).

I asked the students if they studied for the exam today, and then pretended to get angry when they said they no, or "What test? A real test?"

I kept that going for a while, saying stuff like "I told you last week. Didn't your homeroom teacher tell you, too?" I even got my CoT in on it, so she was chastising them in Korean for not being prepared for an exam.

Then I went to the next slide, which had "APRIL FOOLS!" in big, red letters.

Much groaning and laughter ensued. The CoT and I got a good chuckle out of it.