September 21, 2017, 09:37:45 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 172913 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
Sometimes I sit with the Special Education teacher at lunch (because she speaks better English than half my co-teachers  :undecided: ) so I've gotten to know one of her students who sits with her also. He's usually too shy to speak to me in English so he'll ask her if he can ask me questions and she'll translate for me and then he'll be on a roll.

Today he was in my office to do a speaking test for Chinese and I say hello then go back to wasting time, as usual. Then he comes up to me to start a conversation! We exchange ~how are yous~ and talk about our weekends and stuff. I am so fond of him. He is just the best.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
Went to Jeonju for a field trip. Pretty cool place! Got to eat a handmade choco pie, the famed Jeonju bibimbap, and dress up in hanbok, among other things. Even got to see a soccer game! I think that's the first professional soccer game I've ever been to, hahah. Within the first few minutes, a player had fallen and medics rushed over-- the player was okay so they just patted him on the head and everyone went their merry way lol. I'm really happy that my school is really inclusive-- they decided I should go on this field trip to experience some Korean culture  :azn:

And now it's Friday  8)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »
It's Friday, all of my classes are cancelled, and the weather is so nice today. :) I brought a book with me to school so I'm just going to read all day.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #543 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:47 PM »
I won!!! I finally got a message from gmarket (three months after the initial order) that the seller is giving me a full refund! They were saying that they would only give me a half refund because he wanted to charge me for the return fee, but that was his mistake for addressing it wrong. So finally, I am getting my money back. Hallelujah.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #544 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:12 AM »
Well, apparently all classes are canceled today for testing.  Tuesdays are my busiest day so, no complaints  :laugh:

...Time to work on that CELTA application... :cry:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #545 on: June 21, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
Well, apparently all classes are canceled today for testing.  Tuesdays are my busiest day so, no complaints  :laugh:

Same.  Wonder what the hale they're testing for this time.  Regular exams are coming up fairly soon.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »

Same.  Wonder what the hale they're testing for this time.  Regular exams are coming up fairly soon.

My calendar say 학업성취도평가 which translates as "achievement assessment".  We also had testing with in the first few weeks of the semester for something similar, so I believe they're national standardized tests meant to track overall progress and growth, independent of a school's individual curriculum and midterm/final exam testing.

Also, my principal just came in, told me "Happy birthday," had me sign a paper, and gave me a little envelope with 20,000KRW worth of vouchers for shopping/movies?!  :huh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »

My calendar say 학업성취도평가 which translates as "achievement assessment".  We also had testing with in the first few weeks of the semester for something similar, so I believe they're national standardized tests meant to track overall progress and growth, independent of a school's individual curriculum and midterm/final exam testing.

Also, my principal just came in, told me "Happy birthday," had me sign a paper, and gave me a little envelope with 20,000KRW worth of vouchers for shopping/movies?!  :huh:
Yeah, I just got a large sum of vouchers for Emart from my school. Never figured out why, bu I really needed to go grocery shopping, so it was appreciated!

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »

My last school would actually have practice tests just about everyday for about a week to 10 days before the standardized tests, though I'm pretty sure they just did them during Korean class and it didn't really impede on English classes too much.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:22:57 PM by Action Jackson »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
little angel 4th graders are everything that little demon 6th graders are not

I have 3 4th grade classes for double periods on Tuesdays. So 90 mins with each class. Sounds like a nightmare but teaching them is a breeze. We played a super simple mystery bag game in the first period and in the 10 minute break between classes they asked if they could carry on playing the game between themselves. Then they played English hangman, completely unprompted. They're so sweet and motivated. 4th graders in my old school were great too. I don't know what it is about 4th grade that make them an absolute joy to teach but I'm not complaining!

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
little angel 4th graders are everything that little demon 6th graders are not

I have 3 4th grade classes for double periods on Tuesdays. So 90 mins with each class. Sounds like a nightmare but teaching them is a breeze. We played a super simple mystery bag game in the first period and in the 10 minute break between classes they asked if they could carry on playing the game between themselves. Then they played English hangman, completely unprompted. They're so sweet and motivated. 4th graders in my old school were great too. I don't know what it is about 4th grade that make them an absolute joy to teach but I'm not complaining!
I taught 4th grade at an immersion school for a number of years, simply the best grade to teach. 

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
Found a crafting idea that went over great with all of my after school groups. Even if the 4th graders pretended they were too cool. I impressed my 3rd graders with the few Korean words I know (classroom words). And I am prepared a whole day in advanced my for kindergarten class.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
Was waiting for a bus on the outskirts of a bigger city recently and there were two older men waiting in line in front of me. The bus finally arrived and to my surprise, they both turned and gestured for me to go first.

I guess I was particularly surprised because one was in a business suit so I figured he'd be all bali bali and rushing to get on first. Guess he's not like them ahjummas, all elbows and shoves lol.

A really simple but kind gesture that rather made my day!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #553 on: June 22, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
I have a brand new fresh out of school CT. My school runs special, extra open classes for new teachers their first 3 years.

She practiced this morning with me watching. It was excellent. It gives me hope for the future of English education here.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #554 on: June 22, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
This week Gmarket had a massive sale on Innisfree's new 0% Shampoo. 15,000 won with 3,000 cash back for 800ml of shampoo and a gigantic pile of sample packs, too. Free shipping, as well.

The shampoo is actually really nice. Super lightly scented, rinses away beautifully, and doesn't dry my hair out, or leave it overly moisturized and gross feeling.

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #555 on: June 22, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
At one of my travel schools this morning, the boys in the classroom were doing the entrance music for the Undertaker. 2 Students then entered the classroom and one performed the tombstone manouvre on the other (bar actually smacking his head against the floor). It was hilarious, they cheered and he ran through the halls in triumph.

Offline Hodlpu

• Veteran
« Reply #556 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »
I learned how to make my own salad dressing (honey balsamic vinaigrette dressing).  I showed it off to my school, everyone thinks I'm a chef now.

EDIT:  everyone
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:00:03 PM by Hodlpu »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #557 on: June 22, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
I learned how to make my own salad dressing (honey balsamic vinaigrette dressing).  I showed it off to my school, everything thinks I'm a chef now.

Haha, same.

:afro: "I made spaghetti for my girlfriend last night."

:huh: :huh: :huh: "You can make spaghetti???"
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #558 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
I taught my 6th graders different ailments (toothache, earache, sore throat, etc). Now they're running through the halls chanting, "Vomit! Vomit!"

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #559 on: June 22, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »
I saved about 15,000 last month from a new credit card I signed up for. KEB's 2x Alpha is awesome if you're someone who does lots of online shopping, has a cellphone, or buys things from convenience stores.

And managed to open a new installment deposit account with 2.9% interest when interest rates are all garbage lately.

Financial micromanaging is rad.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment