January 23, 2018, 07:56:55 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 226463 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2160 on: September 01, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
I ripped my shirt the other day. Took it to a seamstress expecting a simple patch-job that would be obvious but one that I could live with because I love this shirt and I'm not giving it up.

She ended up keeping the rip but seaming it up and altering the shirt so that it looked like it was designed that way. Now it looks and fits better than it had before.

Happy accidents make the world go 'round.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #2161 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
Do you ever not go from zero to 'like so much' in sixty seconds? Hope the date is good!
Also, Muuido. Is it good? Been here forever and still haven't been there.
Haha, this is the ninth date over 2 months, I've put my time in.

And, yeah, Muuido is alright. It's not amazing but it's close to the bulk of Gyeonggi/Seoul residents. And cabins on the beach are 40 000W for four people so staying overnight is easy.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2162 on: September 01, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Do you ever not go from zero to 'like so much' in sixty seconds? Hope the date is good!

I had 6 'dates' over a five year period with my now wife.  :cheesy:  I thought they were kind of dates,  8) she thought I was just being nice  :cry:.  I put my time in.   :-[  No wait....  :undecided:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2163 on: September 01, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »

And, yeah, Muuido is alright. It's not amazing but it's close to the bulk of Gyeonggi/Seoul residents. And cabins on the beach are 40 000W for four people so staying overnight is easy.

You just got me searching. Any idea of the ferry name? I wonder how much it costs for a car to cross. Nice find. I also saw that those cabins are 30 to 40. Any info on weather they have kitchens or grills?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #2164 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:30 PM »
잠진도착장 is the ferry terminal name. No idea for a car. They are a cabin with blankets and a floor and wall outlets. THAT'S IT hahahaha. You can rent BBQ shit from the general store I've been told

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2165 on: September 01, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
It's not as humid anymore.

I bought my tickets for my train trip during Chuseok.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:34:47 PM by flyingspider »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2166 on: September 01, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »

I bought my train tickets for my train trip during Chuseok.

Nice.  Where you headed?  I and a friend are gonna check out Jeju for the first time.  Probably gonna be hella crowded but it's our last hurrah. 

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2167 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »

I bought my train tickets for my train trip during Chuseok.

Nice.  Where you headed?  I and a friend are gonna check out Jeju for the first time.  Probably gonna be hella crowded but it's our last hurrah.
Just to Busan. My mom is coming to visit during Chuseok and she wanted to go there. I haven't been to Jeju yet, but I hope to before I leave! Good luck with the crowds.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2168 on: September 01, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
잠진도착장 is the ferry terminal name. No idea for a car. They are a cabin with blankets and a floor and wall outlets. THAT'S IT hahahaha. You can rent BBQ shit from the general sttore I've been told

I couldn't find much info about a spot on the beach. Could you send a pm or something about the spot on the beach?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2169 on: September 04, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:49:33 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2170 on: September 04, 2017, 01:43:22 PM »

I wish I could binge watch this all weekend, but I have plans that can't be changed on Saturday.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2171 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »

Awesome! More background stuff to throw on and half-watch while I do other stuff!

I was stoked that they're releasing season 3 of Rick and Morty as it comes out on TV but I already blew through those episodes, Bojack should entertain me for another 2 days or so :)

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2172 on: September 04, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I am so happy.

On Friday, somebody scraped the fender and light on my nice imported sports car while it was parked in front of my apartment. They proceeded to drive away without leaving any details.

I checked my black box. It was night so the picture was awful, but the design of the lights was very distinctive. There was white paint on my car, so I also knew the other car must be white.

I scoured the car park for a white car with crash damage, using the flashlight on my phone. Sure enough, I found a white car with lots of dents, a beginner driver sticker, and my car's beautiful paint right where I'd expect to find it based on the black box video.

I called the cops. They said there was not enough evidence, but the car had a parking sticker with an address, so they knocked on the door in the hope of extracting a confession. She didn't answer the door, but her neighbour talked to us and said she was an older woman who had just started driving. The cops said I should check the apartment CCTV and call them again on Monday.

This lunchtime, I went to the maintenance office and was given access to the CCTV. We checked the CCTV and saw her old beater scrape my marvel of Japanese engineering. We then watched her drive around one block and park right where I found her car on Friday night.

The maintenance office called her and at first she denied being responsible for the hit and run. However, when she got to the maintenance office, she timidly walked over and apologised. I told her that if she called her insurance company and admitted what she'd done, I wouldn't involve the police. She agreed.

The insurance company will pay and the dishonest old lady lost quite a bit of face. I decided not to lecture her on why parking at a 90 degree angle - when you're almost touching the car you're perpendicular to - is a bad idea.  :rolleyes:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2173 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
@StillinKorea I'm glad you got justice for your car!

I found my USB and my third grade class is canceled today.  :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2174 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
One benefit of using my personal laptop as my work computer - apart from not having to deal with powerpoint in Korean or any nonsense "security" software - is I can use it to inject gaming into some of my lessons, since it's a gaming laptop.

Case in point: I've been teaching basic grammar lessons to my middle schoolers this year, since many of them were pretty lost any time something grammar-related came up. They just finished learning about adjectives, so this week I'm using that as an excuse to play Scribblenauts Unlimited with them.

For those not in the know, Scribblenauts is a series where the protagonist has a magic book that can make anything you write in it appear, and you have to solve puzzles by creating items. Scribblenauts Unlimited adds adjectives into the mix, so you can either create items or add an adjective to a preexisting item.

For example, one puzzle involves choosing to either help a lumberjack cut down a tree, or help a hippie stop the lumberjack from cutting it down. You could do something like create an ax and give it to the lumberjack, or you could do what my students did and add "diamond" to the description of the tree, so it will be too hard to chop down.

So far it's been fun seeing how they approach problems, and their reactions to successfully solving a puzzle. Sometimes they get creative, and sometimes they get... weird, haha. One boys class (my school separates classes by gender) tried to solve as many puzzles as they could by writing "girlfriend," and a girls class did the same thing but with "t-rex" instead. The boys class' success rate using that strategy was surprisingly high, and while the girls' strategy wasn't as effective, their failures were much more spectacular to witness, especially once they realized they could add "flying" to the description.

It's going to be a fun week.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:04:26 AM by Mister Tim »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2175 on: September 05, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
One benefit of using my personal laptop as my work computer - apart from not having to deal with powerpoint in Korean or any nonsense "security" software - is I can use it to inject gaming into some of my lessons, since it's a gaming laptop.

Case in point: I've been teaching basic grammar lessons to my middle schoolers this year, since many of them were pretty lost any time something grammar-related came up. They just finished learning about adjectives, so this week I'm using that as an excuse to play Scribblenauts Unlimited with them.

For those not in the know, Scribblenauts is a series where the protagonist has a magic book that can make anything you write in it appear, and you have to solve puzzles by creating items. Scribblenauts Unlimited adds adjectives into the mix, so you can either create items or add an adjective to a preexisting item.

For example, one puzzle involves choosing to either help a lumberjack cut down a tree, or help a hippie stop the lumberjack from cutting it down. You could do something like create an ax and give it to the lumberjack, or you could do what my students did and add "diamond" to the description of the tree, so it will be too hard to chop down.

So far it's been fun seeing how they approach problems, and their reactions to successfully solving a puzzle. Sometimes they get creative, and sometimes they get... weird, haha. One boys class (my school separates classes by gender) tried to solve as many puzzles as they could by writing "girlfriend," and a girls class did the same thing but with "t-rex" instead. The boys class' success rate using that strategy was surprisingly high, and while the girls' strategy wasn't as effective, their failures were much more spectacular to witness, especially once they realized they could add "flying" to the description.

It's going to be a fun week.

I remember rushing out to buy the original Scribblenauts and it being one of the most disappointing things I've ever purchased. Has technology and their development caught up with what they wanted the game to be?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2176 on: September 05, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

I remember rushing out to buy the original Scribblenauts and it being one of the most disappointing things I've ever purchased. Has technology and their development caught up with what they wanted the game to be?

I wasn't disappointed with the OG Scribblenauts on DS, but I suppose I can see how one might think it didn't live up to its own ambitions. The addition of adjectives mixes things up a bit in Unlimited, and they changed the sort of puzzles accordingly. Now rather than putting you on a stage with a star at the end you have to go fetch, it puts you in a setting like a forest or a castle and you have to go around helping the people there to earn stars.

It's still the same "write things in book, things appear" sort of deal, but now rather than being able to solve every puzzle with either a gun, a rope, or some glue, you've to be a bit more creative. Instead of "get the star from the other side of the electrified spike pit," it's "give the pioneers everything they need to cross the Oregon Trail" type stuff.

It isn't particularly challenging (apart from the quests that are needlessly obtuse), so if you're looking for a challenge then it won't really be for you. If you just want something silly and fun to fart around with for a couple hours, though, you could find worse ways to spend your money. My students seem to be enjoying it, at any rate.  :laugh:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2177 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
Cleaned out my desk this morning and found an unopened tin of Altoids I'd forgotten about.  :smiley:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2178 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
Cleaned out my desk this morning and found an unopened tin of Altoids I'd forgotten about.  :smiley:

Peppermint, wintergreen, or other?

Does anyone else remember Altoid sours?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2179 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »
Smile of the day:

I was listening to Great Big Sea's "Excursion Around the Bay" on my way to work today.  The lady at the toll both was named Oh Me Young.

https://youtu.be/Kqz6mLRYHj4