November 19, 2017, 01:46:22 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 195474 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1800 on: April 14, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
My school is really nice.  At dinner the other night, they asked if I wanted to order something else because the main course was pretty spicy.  I declined but the offer was very kind.  The teacher who's in charge of planning dinners seemed to think he'd made a mistake but I insisted that I was fine (literally, there's all this banchan that I'm happy to eat).  We can't avoid eating spicy fare just because one person can't handle it. 

He even suggested they buy ice cream for me afterward, hahah.  I didn't feel like it but he ended up buying a big bunch of bananas and insisted on giving me a few.  Well I'm certainly not gonna turn down free fruit!  :laugh:

You made the right choice. Bananas aren't poison. Ice cream is!

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1801 on: April 14, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
My school is really nice.  At dinner the other night, they asked if I wanted to order something else because the main course was pretty spicy.  I declined but the offer was very kind.  The teacher who's in charge of planning dinners seemed to think he'd made a mistake but I insisted that I was fine (literally, there's all this banchan that I'm happy to eat).  We can't avoid eating spicy fare just because one person can't handle it. 

He even suggested they buy ice cream for me afterward, hahah.  I didn't feel like it but he ended up buying a big bunch of bananas and insisted on giving me a few.  Well I'm certainly not gonna turn down free fruit!  :laugh:

So, the funny thing about HALT FOREIGNER: THIS DISH IS SPICY is that I seem to repeatedly meet Koreans who can't handle/don't like spicy food at all. Whoa, turns out people are different.

Anyway, it's Friiiiiiday. No classes. Next week is midterm review, midterms after that. Everything is in bloom but it's not oppressively hot yet. My principal is taking me to lunch for
"noodles." Then there's that sweet break in May. Life is good.  8)  8)  8)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1802 on: April 14, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
I had my first lessons in my new job today and it was a DREAM.
Japanese kids > Korean kids > Vietnamese kids  :laugh:. Tiny class sizes & a great schedule help too. I'm having a celebratory mojito!

Are you in Japan now??? Or an international school or some such?? Super exciting either way :)  Glad things are working well for you.

Well this is a pleasant morning! I just received a lovely bouquet of flowers~  For some reason there was a big delivery of flowers and the art teacher is passing them out like candy  :laugh:

I'm still in Vietnam! Working in the Japanese International School. Thank you  ;D I was really lucky to get the job so I'm excited to get into it!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1803 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
Japanese kids > Korean kids > Vietnamese kids  :laugh:. Tiny class sizes & a great schedule help too. I'm having a celebratory mojito!

Are you in Japan now??? Or an international school or some such?? Super exciting either way :)  Glad things are working well for you.

Well this is a pleasant morning! I just received a lovely bouquet of flowers~  For some reason there was a big delivery of flowers and the art teacher is passing them out like candy  :laugh:

I'm still in Vietnam! Working in the Japanese International School. Thank you  ;D I was really lucky to get the job so I'm excited to get into it!

Best of both worlds then: access to delicious mojitos AND well behaved children. I'm a little  jealous.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1804 on: April 14, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

Best of both worlds then: access to delicious mojitos AND well behaved children. I'm a little  jealous.

haha, that's all i need in life. a decent mojito and some well-behaved kids

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1805 on: April 14, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
2000 posts. I have ascended.

You will now refer to me as......................오빠

Offline schnieppster

• Adventurer
« Reply #1806 on: April 14, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

노빠.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1807 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »

So many hours spent discussing education and pedagogy on teachers' website Waygook.org.

페다 고기?

That's a new animal?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1808 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

Congratulations Legend CO2

8)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1809 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

So many hours spent discussing education and pedagogy on teachers' website Waygook.org.

페다 고기?

That's a new animal?

It's short for 페퍼닭고기... GOSH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YIKES.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1810 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
It's short for 페퍼닭고기... GOSH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YIKES.

퍼퍼 블레스

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1811 on: April 14, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
I taught my country school, double length, Friday afternoon, every-student-grades-three-to-six class today and for the first time this term, not a single child cried!

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1812 on: April 14, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

What is this word? I can't find it in any dictionary.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1813 on: April 14, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #1814 on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

The use of h3h3 refs makes me so happy omg.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1815 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
The grade 2 students at my main middle school are always making me laugh  :laugh:
One of the girls used to be super shy, too.  It's nice to see her opening up into a more confident person (she's still an introvert by nature, but not deathly shy anymore). 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1816 on: April 19, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
I never used that "chase the vocab" game with students over older than 3rd grade cuz I thought it would be too easy and they wouldn't like it but I used it today with a 6th grade class and they didn't want to leave the dang room when class finished :/ They demanded more rounds of extreme mode :/ Looks like I found a game to use next month...

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1817 on: April 19, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
I never used that "chase the vocab" game with students over older than 3rd grade cuz I thought it would be too easy and they wouldn't like it but I used it today with a 6th grade class and they didn't want to leave the dang room when class finished :/ They demanded more rounds of extreme mode :/ Looks like I found a game to use next month...

One of the truest things I've learned is that 6th grade kids are just bigger kids. They try to act cool, but show them some goofy simple fun game and they love it. And when you walk past their classrooms during break times, they're all sitting around playing with blocks and stuff. Just big kids.

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #1818 on: April 19, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »

Stupid question.

"Chase the vocab?"

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1819 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Stupid question.

"Chase the vocab?"

I attached the version I used today. I used the pattern "It's (month) _____" and they had to follow the month and tell me first, second, third, etc for what number the month I said was under. So if I said "It's January...." they followed January and replied "It's January 1st!" if it was under card #1.