September 22, 2017, 01:29:17 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 173141 times)

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
Was on the subway at the weekend, waiting to get into the lift after a long line of people.  Ajosshi from way behind sprints in front of me and leaps into the lift just as the doors are closing.  In this particular lift the doors are very rapid and very forceful, so he got trapped by them across his shoulder and torso.  The doors gripped him for a couple of seconds before opening again.  I'm sure it made a nasty bruise, and it made me very happy.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
Was on the subway at the weekend, waiting to get into the lift after a long line of people.  Ajosshi from way behind sprints in front of me and leaps into the lift just as the doors are closing.  In this particular lift the doors are very rapid and very forceful, so he got trapped by them across his shoulder and torso.  The doors gripped him for a couple of seconds before opening again.  I'm sure it made a nasty bruise, and it made me very happy.

LOL we all need a dose of schadenfreude every now and then. :laugh:

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
All my classes are cancelled today because of a school event today. I'm apparently going to help out with a 'jump rope' event thing today and also go into the local village with the students.

Offline MissSA

• Adventurer
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »
Happiness for today:
I brought home made banana bread for the staff and my VP said (via my CT) "This is how what the native teachers role should be, to only bring happiness", at which point my CT side-eyed me and mumbled under her breath "He also means that the previous Native Teacher only brought sadness."  :angel: :angel: lol yay? It made me happy! I've only heard the strangest things about this poor previous NT, and I love it when Korean's throw shade. It's always so sneaky!  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
Happiness for today:
I brought home made banana bread for the staff and my VP said (via my CT) "This is how what the native teachers role should be, to only bring happiness", at which point my CT side-eyed me and mumbled under her breath "He also means that the previous Native Teacher only brought sadness."  :angel: :angel: lol yay? It made me happy! I've only heard the strangest things about this poor previous NT, and I love it when Korean's throw shade. It's always so sneaky!  :laugh:

I know this is the happy happy thread but I just gotta point out that this attitude pisses me off. "Foreigners" are humans too. We're allowed to be unhappy sometimes. Maybe the previous NET at your school was a real pill but I don't think we have to constantly beam sunshine up everyone's asses just to get along here. Doing a good job should be enough.

I feel like NETS are sometimes thought of as a "broken toy" if we don't gamely smile, bow and kowtow to every situation and awkward conversation.  >:(

Sorry for the digression, I'll go back to the rant thread now  :P

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
One of the teachers got married last weekend and gave everyone cookies today.  They remind me of biscotti.  I love biscotti!  ;D

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
I found out that I have no classes on wednesday so I literally get to derp around all day wednesday in my classroom. Additionally this friday I'm going on a field trip with my 5th and 6th graders so I technically get the day off (aka no teaching!) I also got invited to play volleyball with the teachers and I'll be practicing with them and competing in a league game with other schools. Sounds like this week is off to a great start.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
Another family dinner on Points last night!

;D

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2016, 01:36:56 PM »
I also got invited to play volleyball with the teachers and I'll be practicing with them and competing in a league game with other schools.
A couple of years ago at my elementary school every Friday at 3pm was volleyball time, Principal's instructions.  I really liked it.  But as I am 1.82 m I obviously got stuck on the net.  Maybe your new position?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
First class of the week cancelled!  8)

Feet are up and the coffee is goooood  ;D

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
Happiness for today:

I know this is the happy happy thread but I just gotta point out that this attitude pisses me off. "Foreigners" are humans too. We're allowed to be unhappy sometimes. Maybe the previous NET at your school was a real pill but I don't think we have to constantly beam sunshine up everyone's asses just to get along here. Doing a good job should be enough.

I feel like NETS are sometimes thought of as a "broken toy" if we don't gamely smile, bow and kowtow to every situation and awkward conversation.  >:(

This makes me think of a story from orientation. Our coordinator said there was this one teacher who was apparently really bad at his job. When he asked the school why they didn't let him go, they said that they couldn't fire him because he smiles all the time. Lol logic

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
Happiness for today:

This makes me think of a story from orientation. Our coordinator said there was this one teacher who was apparently really bad at his job. When he asked the school why they didn't let him go, they said that they couldn't fire him because he smiles all the time. Lol logic

I know you already said you're with JLP, but if you hadn't, that would have confirmed it without a doubt  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
#QuotesFromChris

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
On the bright side. The people who came to my teachers class were all the awesome people and no annoying ones. Probably the nicest conversation I have ever had with co-workers anywhere ever... and only 20 mins left. Good day.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
I also got invited to play volleyball with the teachers and I'll be practicing with them and competing in a league game with other schools.
A couple of years ago at my elementary school every Friday at 3pm was volleyball time, Principal's instructions.  I really liked it.  But as I am 1.82 m I obviously got stuck on the net.  Maybe your new position?

I'm actually not tall at all haha. I'm only 167cm so I think they're mostly going to have me play near the back haha.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »
There is a double English lesson for my grade 5's on Wednesdays. I normally take the 2nd half and the KET takes the firs half. The first period was cancelled for the whole school, however the KET did not mention this to me yesterday and this morning, even though I asked both times if there were any changes. So I told him that he can teach his lesson in my half (I did not prepare to teach his half as I did not know about the cancellation). Basically, I'm not going to teach his content for him. I will teach my section tomorrow. Not going to teach things in the wrong order. So I'm not teaching grade 5's today (aka, the loudest class)  :laugh:

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
My worst two lessons of the week and in fact the only 2 reasons I hate anything about my job, are cancelled today  8)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
My coteacher just helped me set up automatic bill payments.  :cheesy:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »
Midterms being just around the corner and all, the English Ts are running around making and correcting test questions. They usually ask me to proof-read everything and offer suggestions.

I like it because NONE of the teachers have ever given me the "Well, it's in the book so..." spiel when I pointed out that something was wrong. They also let me change questions and add some that I feel would be appropriate. Never any disagreements and they usually defer to my opinion as a native speaker. I actually feel like part of the "team". Feels good, man. Feels real good.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »
No, CoT, not every animated short film is a "Pixar movie."

Some of the animation is embarrassing.

I am petty.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
Midterms being just around the corner and all, the English Ts are running around making and correcting test questions. They usually ask me to proof-read everything and offer suggestions.

I like it because NONE of the teachers have ever given me the "Well, it's in the book so..." spiel when I pointed out that something was wrong. They also let me change questions and add some that I feel would be appropriate. Never any disagreements and they usually defer to my opinion as a native speaker. I actually feel like part of the "team". Feels good, man. Feels real good.

Same!  Feels good to have your word taken over a Korean-written test question. :laugh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment