May 22, 2018, 04:52:34 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 315056 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1580 on: February 13, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »
*From previous post*  :wink: Today was the meeting for assigning duties for the new semester.  I had told my departing co-teacher if a certain teacher was teaching levels 1 or 2 then I have to quit because I am 'uncomfortable' with them and couldn't work with them each day.  If they teach level 3 then I am ok as I don't see or have anything to do with that level.  When it was brought up in the meeting she mentioned this to the other teachers/principal and VP about me being uncomfortable with them and that I'd quit if this person was to teach level 1/2.  Apparently, curious and asking questions about why, they agreed with me and that person will teach level 3.  I just have to wait for a potential backlash when that person finds out I was the reason for them to get level 3.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1581 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
You must have a hell of a lot of clout at your school for them to bend over backwards for you like that.

Or...this person did something really, really bad in the past that we all want to know about  :wink:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1582 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
If he catches wind of what transpired and has any juice with the union, things could get ugly for you Dave.

You are already aware of that, I'm sure, but just wanted to write this nonetheless.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #1583 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
If he catches wind of what transpired and has any juice with the union, things could get ugly for you Dave.

You are already aware of that, I'm sure, but just wanted to write this nonetheless.

Sure, from what my co-teacher said these kind of meetings are quite open to teacher's feelings when they are deciding who is gonna to do what for the new semester.  There was no more info there than there was here. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1584 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
Today is my last day at this school. And I am absolutely goddamn thrilled about never having to see my CT again. Although I probably will, but now I can comfortably flip her the bird when I do.

Also my next teaching gig seems really good and that school has already reached out to me and are helping me get my ducks in a row for the move.

Oh happy days!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1585 on: February 14, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
I haven't mentioned to my kids that I'm leaving yet. Most of them were indifferent but a couple were really sad.

In one of my classes though... this kid is funny. Like grade A comedian level funny.

I was saying goodbye and did my little fake tear up, got my chuckle and he starts doing the same thing. Then I say you should be really nice to your new teacher, she is really nice.

Him: She? A girl teacher?
Me: Yeah. Be nice to he....
Him: Bye, bye teacher. Big wave and starts motioning me out the door.

It was hilarious and utterly adorable. My CT is pretty serious and she was almost rolling around laughing and I lost it entirely.

Ofc, he has his little shit eating grin on.
Solid last class.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1586 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »
My seat has been changed in the teachers' room.  I now sit between two of the older teachers who speak English well and I get along with them. Also, I'm away from the hallway door, so I won't feel the cold air every time someone opens it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #1587 on: February 21, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
My seat has been changed in the teachers' room.  I now sit between two of the older teachers who speak English well and I get along with them. Also, I'm away from the hallway door, so I won't feel the cold air every time someone opens it.

Last year, I had one of the best seats facing the wall so no one could see my screen.  But as my lovely senior co-teacher is finishing (he requested my seat last year) I wanted to move so the lovely teacher in charge of the seating came to see me yesterday and gave me a few choices even making sure 'are you ok with these teachers around you?   If you are uncomfortable with them, I can move them!'   :wink:

gidget

« Reply #1588 on: February 21, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
My computer has been upgraded from a Pentium dual core with 2GB Ram and a 7 minutes start-up time to a Core i3 with 4GB of Ram with a 1 minute start-up time and they put my OS in English!

It's a happy, happy, HAPPY day!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1589 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
First week back to school this semester, and for class I've been having the students basically do 2 truths and a lie, vacation themed. One girl wrote about how her Australian bf came to visit her for the last month, and that he goes home this week. After class, she came up and said that she had wanted to introduce him to me, but was sad cuz she couldn't find me at the opening ceremony. So at the end of school today, she came into the teacher office dragging him behind her and we just chatted for about 30 minutes. She was so excited to introduce us, it was adorable! (She's a first year high schooler who should be a second year because she took a year off and studied in AU for a semester.)

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #1590 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
First week back to school this semester, and for class I've been having the students basically do 2 truths and a lie, vacation themed. One girl wrote about how her Australian bf came to visit her for the last month, and that he goes home this week. After class, she came up and said that she had wanted to introduce him to me, but was sad cuz she couldn't find me at the opening ceremony. So at the end of school today, she came into the teacher office dragging him behind her and we just chatted for about 30 minutes. She was so excited to introduce us, it was adorable! (She's a first year high schooler who should be a second year because she took a year off and studied in AU for a semester.)

That is super cute and just put me in a good mood!  :smiley:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1591 on: February 23, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
My computer has been upgraded from a Pentium dual core with 2GB Ram and a 7 minutes start-up time to a Core i3 with 4GB of Ram with a 1 minute start-up time and they put my OS in English!

It's a happy, happy, HAPPY day!

If you have a hat, hold on to it.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1592 on: February 24, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
Haha, glad I could spread the love.

That is super cute and just put me in a good mood!  :smiley:

Offline klearr

• Newgookin
« Reply #1593 on: February 24, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
Am I the only one super happy to have finished the contract? And I got my exit allowance and severance without having to wait :)

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #1594 on: February 24, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
Am I the only one super happy to have finished the contract? And I got my exit allowance and severance without having to wait :)

Right there with you! I finished mine last week and I'm so happy!!!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1595 on: March 02, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
The look of shock on my new first grade students(middle school who were my elementary school students last year as well) faces when I came in the school was priceless!  :laugh: I told them many times I would be here. I'm actually ready to come back and get back into a routine again. :)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1596 on: March 02, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
Anyone who's out, if you taught afterschool, I'll buy you a beer if you could tell me if it was added to your severance.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1597 on: March 02, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
My Kodi add-Ons include a "Bruce Lee" stream.

:)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1598 on: March 03, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
Surprisingly the "day of change" led to... not many changes.  At least not any immediately apparent ones.  Two teachers ended up not leaving (and one is the funny guy so that's great) and we only got three new ones. 

Because of a new student, we're not combining two tiny classes at my main school.  Which actually simplifies things so that's cool.  And we have an art teacher again!  I guess the one student tipped the student populace over the magic number to allow us funding for extra subjects.  Baller

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #1599 on: March 03, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
My school just had a welcome ceremony for the kindergartners. Serious cuteness overload! And there is a girl:boy ratio of 11:5 so that makes my dreaded 30 mins a week teaching time much less dreaded  :azn:

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018