September 25, 2017, 07:04:28 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 174538 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1480 on: December 08, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
During the holidays in Europe my credit card was copied.  In October, when I was proctoring my school students I got two messages on my phone saying I'd spent 200$ in Pizza Hut and 20$ in Subway in Peoria, Iilinois.  I called Hanacard straight away, saying they weren't mine.  They suspended the payment and told me to wait 50 days as they fight it out with the company.  Got a message today saying Hanacard won.  Almost like winning 250 000 won that.   ;D Next time, after I come back from Europe I'm going to cancel my card and get a new one. 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1481 on: December 08, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »
During the holidays in Europe my credit card was copied.  In October, when I was proctoring my school students I got two messages on my phone saying I'd spent 200$ in Pizza Hut and 20$ in Subway in Peoria, Iilinois.  I called Hanacard straight away, saying they weren't mine.  They suspended the payment and told me to wait 50 days as they fight it out with the company.  Got a message today saying Hanacard won.  Almost like winning 250 000 won that.   ;D Next time, after I come back from Europe I'm going to cancel my card and get a new one.

Same thing happened with my wife's card, only I got the text during the night and saw it when I work up.

"Honey, did you sneak out last night and have a $100 party at the McDonald's in Brampton, Ontario?"

Went to the branch first thing, and there was a second charge that they declined.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1482 on: December 08, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »

Same thing happened with my wife's card, only I got the text during the night and saw it when I work up.

"Honey, did you sneak out last night and have a $100 party at the McDonald's in Brampton, Ontario?"

Went to the branch first thing, and there was a second charge that they declined.
That's a lot of chicken burgers, seeing as they don't have any beef products.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1483 on: December 08, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »

위어드. I had never even heard of card-skimming devices until a couple of days ago when my dad had his card skimmed at a gas station and then a mysterious charge appeared on his card for $999.96 from a HyVee supermarket in Urbandale, Iowa. Not too far from Peoria, Illinois, as a matter of fact, but also not so far from where he lives in Wisconsin.  I'm not sure how much, if any, of that he's going to be able to recover. Congrats on your victory~!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:12:03 PM by donovan »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1484 on: December 09, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »
During the holidays in Europe my credit card was copied. 

This happened last year also.  I was in Sweden and woke up in the morning with a message from the bank asking me to call them.  Some person had put through a transaction for 5000 won at some engineering company in Canada.  They were suspicious so stopped the card directly.  Then that person tried to put through a 1.2 million flight too.  Obviously declined. 

That's what I thought.  Then after the Subway sandwich thing they tried to put through another 200 dollars at Pizza Hut, but that exceeded my limit.  That is one hungry dude.

위어드. I had never even heard of card-skimming devices until a couple of days ago when my dad had his card skimmed at a gas station and then a mysterious charge appeared on his card for $999.96 from a HyVee supermarket in Urbandale, Iowa. Not too far from Peoria, Illinois, as a matter of fact, but also not so far from where he lives in Wisconsin.  I'm not sure how much, if any, of that he's going to be able to recover. Congrats on your victory~!

Apparently, Hanacard requested a chargeback on VISA online.  She said it takes 50 days and if the foreign bank doesn't reply in that time, we can win the case.  Strange process.  I'd kind of written it off, so it is like getting 250 000 won.

I had heard that usually after they skim and copy, they wait a month or two before using.  Sneaky buggers.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1485 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
Yesterday my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. He came early but seems to be doing very well atm. But he is a tiny lil guy. Hoping and praying for the best.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1486 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Yesterday my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. He came early but seems to be doing very well atm. But he is a tiny lil guy. Hoping and praying for the best.

Congrats Loki!!  Sure the Tiny Lil guy will get bigger soon!  :-*

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1487 on: December 09, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
I only have one more week of actual classes and then vacation! Halle-frickin-lujah.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1488 on: December 09, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Lucky! I teach classes all through the end of this month and then go straight into winter camp  :cry:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1489 on: December 09, 2016, 11:47:14 AM »

Congrats Loki!!  Sure the Tiny Lil guy will get bigger soon!  :-*

Congrats! I'm sure he's super precious! Pro to baby being very small: your wife/MIL can easily knit adorable hats and jumpers for him in a day!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1490 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
Lucky! I teach classes all through the end of this month and then go straight into winter camp  :cry:
I technically still have class, but the week before Christmas is study periods that I oversee and the week after Christmas are three half days for exams and then done.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1491 on: December 09, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I technically still have class, but the week before Christmas is study periods that I oversee and the week after Christmas are three half days for exams and then done.

Exams the last week?? That's interesting, all my schools have 'em before Christmas.

Somehow the scheduling this month ended up so that the test days never work in my favor and I'm always at a school that isn't doing testing on my day. Alas

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1492 on: December 09, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
During the holidays in Europe my credit card was copied. 

This happened last year also.  I was in Sweden and woke up in the morning with a message from the bank asking me to call them.  Some person had put through a transaction for 5000 won at some engineering company in Canada.  They were suspicious so stopped the card directly.  Then that person tried to put through a 1.2 million flight too.  Obviously declined. 

That's what I thought.  Then after the Subway sandwich thing they tried to put through another 200 dollars at Pizza Hut, but that exceeded my limit.  That is one hungry dude.

Apparently, Hanacard requested a chargeback on VISA online.  She said it takes 50 days and if the foreign bank doesn't reply in that time, we can win the case.  Strange process.  I'd kind of written it off, so it is like getting 250 000 won.

I had heard that usually after they skim and copy, they wait a month or two before using.  Sneaky buggers.

I suppose the wait is so that you don't remember exactly what you did. 

They also look for foreign cards, because you are less likely to know exactly where you used the card. 

If it was skimmed here in Korea, my wife would know where because she only uses it at one gas station and 3 restaurants. On vacation, it could have been anywhere!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1493 on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear he's doing well despite the early arrival. ;D

My own is due July 4~ :azn:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:50:47 PM by donovan »

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1494 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »

Same here. 5-6 weeks of winter camp. >.< Please shoot me now.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1495 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »

Unrelated: Brand New is such a wonderful band and I'm grateful they exist.

I'm always so happy to see this, it warms the cockles of my heart.  Too bad they're breaking up.  I've been waiting for another Devil and God type record since it was released in 2006. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1496 on: December 09, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1497 on: December 12, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »
Most of the kids that have won the drawing to attend Winter Camp are ones I like, so that's great. There's one little 3rd grade girl who is coming and her English is better than most of my 6th graders, so I'm glad she'll be there to help out. I think this camp will be more fun and smoother than summer camp (since I sort of know what I'm doing now), and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  ;D

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
I have to do 2 weeks of summer camp, one week the 5th and 6th, and one with 3rd and 4th. The max. number of students that can attend is 30. Naturally, 3rd/4th grade camp is booked, but only 12 students signed up for the 5th/6th grade portion, which is great! They're super hard to please, most of them are only there because their parents are making them, and maybe since there's only a handful of them, it won't be so stressful like summer camp was.

But it makes me wonder, was summer camp so awful? I had at least 20 sign up last semester...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1499 on: December 13, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
I have to do 2 weeks of summer camp, one week the 5th and 6th, and one with 3rd and 4th. The max. number of students that can attend is 30. Naturally, 3rd/4th grade camp is booked, but only 12 students signed up for the 5th/6th grade portion, which is great! They're super hard to please, most of them are only there because their parents are making them, and maybe since there's only a handful of them, it won't be so stressful like summer camp was.

But it makes me wonder, was summer camp so awful? I had at least 20 sign up last semester...
My ct told me that because of the (small amount of) snow students usually don't sign up for winter camp. Sometimes the camps get cancelled because of the weather so parent's are more likely to just let their kids stay home. Last year 3 days were cancelled at my school so some of my camps have like 3 kids signed up (from a class of 10 kids) but that's normal supposedly.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment