November 19, 2017, 08:24:50 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 195917 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1340 on: November 28, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
There was a pretty great salad at lunch today. Lettuce, chicken, bell peppers, and apple.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1341 on: November 28, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »
My school has already offered me a renewal... for August. The principal said they really liked me and my work.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1342 on: November 28, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
I love the lady in the admin. office. Every so often she'll bring kimbap for everyone. Free food~

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1343 on: November 28, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
I successfully pawned my sweet potatoes off on my students this time

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1344 on: November 29, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I was mentally lamenting how I'm not a good fit for elementary school and a student came up to me and stuffed a handful of chocolates into my coat pocket  :laugh:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1345 on: November 29, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »
I just got to read my feedback for this year from the teachers, students, and parents.
1. I'm so relieved to find that at least for my main school, none of the parents or teachers are harboring any prejudice against me for being a non-white foreigner.
2. It's so nice to read that the kids like me as much as I like them.
3. I wish I could keep teaching at this school, but move this school to Seoul for next year.
4. Their biggest critique is that I don't use Korean with them. I'm cool with that because I know I don't use Korean because I'm not supposed to, not because I can't.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1346 on: November 29, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
I just got to read my feedback for this year from the teachers, students, and parents.
1. I'm so relieved to find that at least for my main school, none of the parents or teachers are harboring any prejudice against me for being a non-white foreigner.

Has this been something they've complained about in past performance reviews??? :huh:

I successfully pawned my sweet potatoes off on my students this time

:huh: Korean roasted sweet potatoes are just about the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:14:18 PM by donovan »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1347 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
unexpectedly fun class with the demon third grade class that I teach with jerk boss today! I was literally thinking about how I would rather just walk out of school and get reprimanded than teach them another class, but it went ok.

The reason? Jerk boss REALLLY thinks Konglish is hilarious, so I basically just taught the class to her instead. I told her a bunch of Konglish jokes, and when the kids heard us laughing at the first one they were curious. I told her the "What do you call an ajumma with nine children?" joke and she absolutely LOST it, and then told the joke to two other teachers in our division.

Just getting some good laughs in definitely improves the day

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1348 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »

Has this been something they've complained about in past performance reviews??? :huh:

No, but you can tell if someone is just looking for something to complain about because they don't want you teaching their children. But I'm happy because that isn't the case for me right now. Any criticism from the parents was justified and constructive (and minimal).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:25:11 PM by Ajahya »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1349 on: November 29, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »

No, but you can tell if someone is just looking for something to complain about because they don't want you teaching their children. But I'm happy because that isn't the case for me right now. Any criticism was justified and constructive (and minimal).

Good :smiley: And I think you can be forgiven for not communicating in Korean in class ;D

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1350 on: November 30, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
I didn't realise watch dogs 2 was out already, and stumbled across it at homeplus last night while looking to see if they had FFXV on release. :P
Also, Pokemon Sun and Moon is pretty fun! :D Some of my students play Pokemon as well, and have been begging me to trade with them. :o

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1351 on: November 30, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »
. I told her the "What do you call an ajumma with nine children?" joke and she absolutely LOST it, and then told the joke to two other teachers in our division.
Don't leave us hanging!
What *do* you call an ajumma with nine children?  :huh:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1352 on: November 30, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
I'm a really horrible person but last week my co-worker told me when she speaks English the students understand everything, now I am watching her do a test where they listen to her and write the korean I guess and they are  rude, talking back  and fully do not understand her English.

The difference is she uses Korean to explain everything whereas I don't have that luxury.

I really like her, but it makes me feel better about myself.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1353 on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »
Today is the last day at my travel middle school, since my coT is leaving early to go on maternity leave. All the students are sad to see her go. The 3rd graders made a big card together for her and this one kid is hilarious-- he told her he thinks she's strong enough to break an apple with her hands  :laugh:

Then when the 2nd graders started filing into class, they immediately went to the board to draw hearts and write notes saying goodbye to her. One notable message: "You are my hope."

They're all so sweet.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1354 on: November 30, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
. I told her the "What do you call an ajumma with nine children?" joke and she absolutely LOST it, and then told the joke to two other teachers in our division.
Don't leave us hanging!
What *do* you call an ajumma with nine children?  :huh:

Whoops, mistake. "What does an ajumma with nine children SAY?"

아이구!

She asked me if there was a joke like that in English, and I said no, but we have "What do you call a woman with nine children?" "A(n Irish) Catholic", followed up by "never say that joke it's really mean" lol

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1355 on: November 30, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
I had speaking practice today with my level 2 high school students.  It was making plans, rearranging plans and politely declining activities they don't want to do.  My co-teacher, a guy in his late fifties joins in.  His English is bad, but he tries hard but doesn't take himself too seriously.  We get on great. 

On the paper it says:  'How about 7pm?'

As I walk past, he says to the student 'How about nyu 7pm?'

A:  It doesn't say that and B: how about you 7pm?  doesn't make sense. 

He does similar when we talk and he wants to ask a question about my dad, for example.

'How about nyu?' when asking about my dad.

The sentence that is so ingrained in Korean peoples' speaking, you can tell by the pronunciation. 

Funny guy!  I will miss him next year as he has to move schools.

He also changed his message ringtone one morning.

'You got mail!'  it rang out.

He turned to me,

'Dave teacher, what does 'you got paid' mean?'

:blank:

'Erm, it said 'you got mail''

'Ahhhh, ok, right, I see!'  :laugh:

He also got a new wig after the summer holidays, much swishier at the front than the one he had before the holidays.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1356 on: November 30, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
I had speaking practice today with my level 2 high school students.  It was making plans, rearranging plans and politely declining activities they don't want to do.  My co-teacher, a guy in his late fifties joins in.  His English is bad, but he tries hard but doesn't take himself too seriously.  We get on great. 

On the paper it says:  'How about 7pm?'

As I walk past, he says to the student 'How about nyu 7pm?'

A:  It doesn't say that and B: how about you 7pm?  doesn't make sense. 

He does similar when we talk and he wants to ask a question about my dad, for example.

'How about nyu?' when asking about my dad.

The sentence that is so ingrained in Korean peoples' speaking, you can tell by the pronunciation. 

Funny guy!  I will miss him next year as he has to move schools.

He also changed his message ringtone one morning.

'You got mail!'  it rang out.

He turned to me,

'Dave teacher, what does 'you got paid' mean?'

:blank:

'Erm, it said 'you got mail''

'Ahhhh, ok, right, I see!'  :laugh:

He also got a new wig after the summer holidays, much swishier at the front than the one he had before the holidays.

Sometimes it's nice too work with the cheerful-but-really-bad-at-English-but-also-incredibly-low-maintenance-zero-stress-and-never-really-does-anything-anymore-old-guy teachers. They're usually really pleasant. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1357 on: December 01, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
Bought and put up the Christmas tree in my English room.  Thinking of making a display behind it with snowflakes, where students can write messages to each other.  Will see how it goes!!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1358 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:19 AM »
Bought and put up the Christmas tree in my English room.  Thinking of making a display behind it with snowflakes, where students can write messages to each other.  Will see how it goes!!
I have decorated my classroom every year that I have been teaching in Korea, but last year they were tearing down my snowflakes and paper chains and one kid even knocked over my Christmas tree so I don't think I'm going to do it this year.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1359 on: December 02, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
kyndo didn't like my joke  :cry: