November 19, 2017, 02:55:57 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 195733 times)

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1240 on: November 07, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
School served macaroons with lunch. Yum.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1241 on: November 07, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »
I ranted last week about how we weren't allowed to buy prizes for our Golden Bell competition, but today "they" (still have no idea who they are) changed their mind so the prizes have been ordered!

Also I found a pretty pink sweater in the Suwon station shopping area for only 10,000 won. In America buying a piece of clothing without trying it on would be unthinkable, but I've become used to it here. In some ways it makes shopping easier because after I've bought it I feel obligated to wear it, and I'm far too critical of clothes when I try them on. I may go back and get another one in a different color. ;D

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1242 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
I didn't think my school had hot water. They do beside the main office!
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1243 on: November 07, 2016, 05:36:23 PM »
I had actually planned to use maximmm's for Halloween, but it did not work at all. I would click on the letter and it would take me to the slide, but then just showed a gif and a point. I couldn't figure out if there was some other way to play, or...

Sounds like your computer is either missing some software or some codecs to play the media files.

Do you know what version of Powerpoint is installed on the computer?

The media files are mp4, I think. maximmm posted a link for some codecs. You can try installing those. If it still doesn't work... try installing Quicktime for Windows. Restart the computer after installation and try again.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1244 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
I don't have any classes tomorrow because of a field trip. And I get to go with them!

gidget

« Reply #1245 on: November 08, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
Thanks to him, I've tried out a dremel and a hot-wire foam cutter!!  8)

Man, Dremels are the coolest tool I've always wanted but never needed enough to justify buying. SO MANY THINGS you can do with one.

I thought that once, too. But I bought one because I walked by a Dremel sale and I figured the universe was telling me something. I've never regretted it.  It's almost as useful as a screwdriver.

Offline gnomon

• Veteran
« Reply #1246 on: November 08, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »

Once the temperature dropped, I just reached under the sink in the Teacher's bathroom and turned on that hot water. Lefty loosey, my dude.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1247 on: November 08, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Holy shit they finally finished the construction on the teachers' bathrooms and THEY ARE SO NICE

All of the stalls have those fancy toilets with the bidet and the tiling is beautiful and we now have TWO sinks instead of one

The only issue is that they switched the places of the women's and men's restrooms and I know I'm going to end up walking right into the men's room one of these times. Thankfully they're color-coded so I have that as a visual cue (men's is green, women's is red/pink)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1248 on: November 08, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
I don't have any classes tomorrow because of a field trip. And I get to go with them!

That first part is awesome.

But the second part is the literal worst.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1249 on: November 08, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
Aww the special needs student gave me a piece of candy! Completely out of the blue. Such a sweet kid

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1250 on: November 08, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »

Once the temperature dropped, I just reached under the sink in the Teacher's bathroom and turned on that hot water. Lefty loosey, my dude.

Thanks. #Haxxerz.

Added: It feels good to have warm water enveloping my hands and dishes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:49:52 PM by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #1251 on: November 08, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »

Field trips are all right if your coteachers are cool and depending on where you go. At my school, they just send the kids off to run around wherever we are while we hang out and shoot the shit.

You defo get better lunch swag at hagwons though.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1252 on: November 08, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »

Field trips are all right if your coteachers are cool and depending on where you go. At my school, they just send the kids off to run around wherever we are while we hang out and shoot the shit.

You defo get better lunch swag at hagwons though.

Oh, I've never gone on a field trip with students. That sounds even more miserable. I was referring to teachers' field trips. It's such a production and effort expenditure for very little gain. You go, you schmooze with your coworkers a bit, listen to some gossip, etc, and build your standing and reputation, but it's just such a chore.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1253 on: November 08, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
I know it's instant, but I'm having a really nice hot cup of coffee right now and it just feels so good in this cold weather. My fingers were frozen a bit but I went to the teacher's bathroom to warm my hands up under hot running water (we have hot water!) and now I'm keeping them warm by wrapping them around my mug and ugh it just makes me so happy.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #1254 on: November 08, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Oh, I've never gone on a field trip with students. That sounds even more miserable. I was referring to teachers' field trips. It's such a production and effort expenditure for very little gain. You go, you schmooze with your coworkers a bit, listen to some gossip, etc, and build your standing and reputation, but it's just such a chore.

It depends. If they were all the time and all weekend, I'd probably get annoyed but we have one a year for one night and come back Saturday afternoon, so I don't mind. I get to see somewhere new and like I said, I like the teachers at my school. We have one this weekend and I'm looking forward to trying to get my one coteacher to drink whiskey with me. School dinners are always amusing because it's the only time a lot of the teachers here get to cut loose. They're all married and have kids so they like to get wrecked up which is usually good for a laugh. My new principal also likes to get blotto so this should be really interesting.

If I really didn't want to go, I could make up an excuse as no one seems to care if you can't make it. I do know that I have it good at my school though. If the other teachers were assholes, I probably wouldn't bother. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to go.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1255 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
I know it's instant, but I'm having a really nice hot cup of coffee right now and it just feels so good in this cold weather. My fingers were frozen a bit but I went to the teacher's bathroom to warm my hands up under hot running water (we have hot water!) and now I'm keeping them warm by wrapping them around my mug and ugh it just makes me so happy.

Nice. Since I started at this new workplace, I no longer have a kettle in my office, nor any spare outlets in which to plug it in, so if I want hot water I have to walk to an entirely separate building and use the 교무실's kettle. So, I haven't even bothered to bring my mug to work because it's just too much of a pain to do it, especially when I chug tea like a seal.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1256 on: November 08, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

Nice. Since I started at this new workplace, I no longer have a kettle in my office, nor any spare outlets in which to plug it in, so if I want hot water I have to walk to an entirely separate building and use the 교무실's kettle. So, I haven't even bothered to bring my mug to work because it's just too much of a pain to do it, especially when I chug tea like a seal.

Oh my goodness, I would die. I also have to go to the 교무실 for the kettle since I don't have one in my classroom, but it's just down the hall and I like the VP and the other teachers so I don't feel uncomfortable, either. I've been considering bringing my own kettle, but I've been considering it for too long and now it's not worth it since I leave at the end of this contract. Although, that does still leave me four months... So a cheap kettle may well be worth it...

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1257 on: November 08, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »

Have you tried asking for a surge protector thing so you can have more outlets?

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1258 on: November 08, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »

Have you tried asking for a surge protector thing so you can have more outlets?

No. My desk already has a multitap coming out of the wall, and I'm not going to plug another multitap into it. That's dangerous. And it's too much of a pain to plug and unplug my printer every time I want to plug a kettle in. So I just live without.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1259 on: November 09, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
OUR OFFICE HAS HEAT OH MAN WHAT A DAY