September 20, 2017, 12:30:20 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 171653 times)

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1160 on: October 17, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
Yes!! Pokemon (and Minecraft) are awesome for building rapport with the young 'uns. I prepped some Pokemon & Minecraft themed coloring sheets for a lesson on colors and they went nuts over 'em ^^

I also have a Pikachu earring which they always take delight in and I painted a Dratini on my phone case (cause the original color was fugly) that is recognized by younger students I don't even teach.  :laugh:

Nice! My bag is the bag I got at Blizzcon 2010, it has deathwing, the queen of blades, and Diablo on it. My students love it because they recognise the Blizzard logo (due to loving overwatch). I also have a Pokémon t-shirt I wore on my first day to the elementary, and kids went crazy over that too. :P
Some of the younger kids that I don't teach at the elementary will swarm around me if they see me in it now too. They'll try use their very limited English to talk to me about Pokémon. :D

Thanks Kayos, I think that does answer my question. Playing a new version of pokemon is mighty tempting... guess I'll just add it to the slew of games already on my backlog list  :laugh:

It's all good! I'm always happy to help!
Pokémon has actually given me a great rapport with my elementary students, and a few middle school students. They all love Pokémon, and when I told them I love Pokémon, they went nuts haha.

I literally have time to play maybe one or two games a year these days. I envy you.

Sorry to hear that :(
I'm a huge introvert, so I often give up social opportunities to play games. However, not always. I've been trying to be more social though! Since coming to Korea, I've been going to most social occasions I've been invited to!

Haha. I also am a huge introvert, and need copious amounts of me-time. I just never have time for me time. I give up social events to spend time with my significant other, and then on the rare occasion I have a chance to see my friends, I do that. Then whenever I do have time for myself, it's always spent cleaning, doing laundry, running errands, cooking dinner, etc etc. Endless chores and to-do lists. I can never let myself do something fun like play vids when I have work I should be doing, or else I feel majorly guilty.

I get that way with any studying / work I should be doing for school or work. But if I don't have any, I don't get it very much. I do sometimes regret spending so much time playing games, when I wanted to be doing something more beneficial though!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1161 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
Returned to my main school and found a gift on my desk  :laugh:

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1162 on: October 18, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »

Nice! :D

My students in the class right before lunch - the entire class enjoyed preparing for next weeks presentation, that when the bell rang for lunch, begged me to let them keep working on the prep. Me and my co-teacher started laughing, but both enjoyed that they were really into it.

Also, there is meant to be a Pokemon sun and moon demo available sometime today. I know Japan gets it today, but I'm unsure about other countries!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1163 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »
Wait! That looks like it's worth more than 30,000 won! I'm totally reporting you!!

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1164 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »
I convinced my CT that we should order Eckhart Tolles - Power of Now to read for Teachers conversational class!

Really looking forward to sharing the book with them and hopefully it might open their mind a little!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1165 on: October 18, 2016, 08:36:37 PM »
Wait! That looks like it's worth more than 30,000 won! I'm totally reporting you!!

Hey now, Sir Kyndo, it was only 20,000 won! Or so they tell me!  :shocked:

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1166 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »
My third grade middle school girls were doing their project presentations today.
These 2 girls, who worked as a pair came up to do theirs. They are super shy and don't really like participating in anything relating to speaking English. However, they both done their presentation, even though they were visibly shaking and one looked like she might cry.
However, when they finished, the other students gave them a massive cheer and a huge round of applause. It was really great to see their peers give them so much encouragement. The 2 girls even actively participated in the game afterwards.

Also, 1 of the girls, from the same class, was studying in New Zealand, my home country, for 2 - 3 months over the summer. Since she wasn't here for the project, her presentation was talking about her time in NZ. She is probably has the highest level of English out of all my students (even higher than my co-teacher). She was talking about how much better NZ's education system was compared to Korea's AND was giving examples based on her experiences. The co-teacher looked really pissed off / angry while the student was talking about this. haha.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1167 on: October 19, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
My third grade middle school girls were doing their project presentations today.
These 2 girls, who worked as a pair came up to do theirs. They are super shy and don't really like participating in anything relating to speaking English. However, they both done their presentation, even though they were visibly shaking and one looked like she might cry.
However, when they finished, the other students gave them a massive cheer and a huge round of applause. It was really great to see their peers give them so much encouragement. The 2 girls even actively participated in the game afterwards.

Also, 1 of the girls, from the same class, was studying in New Zealand, my home country, for 2 - 3 months over the summer. Since she wasn't here for the project, her presentation was talking about her time in NZ. She is probably has the highest level of English out of all my students (even higher than my co-teacher). She was talking about how much better NZ's education system was compared to Korea's AND was giving examples based on her experiences. The co-teacher looked really pissed off / angry while the student was talking about this. haha.

It's the small things.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1168 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »

Watch out, Waygook.org user KimDuHan might be around.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1169 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:02 PM »
No no no, the gift is legit: I looked it it up just before picking up the phone to rat Yirj17 out. It juuuuuuust squeezed in under the limit at 29,500 won.  There goes my bounty. :sad:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1170 on: October 19, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
No no no, the gift is legit: I looked it it up just before picking up the phone to rat Yirj17 out. It juuuuuuust squeezed in under the limit at 29,500 won.  There goes my bounty. :sad:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just this whole conversation :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1171 on: October 19, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just this whole conversation :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm dying here.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1172 on: October 19, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »

Now, did you go ahead and register yourself as a bounty hunter with immigration?

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1173 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:30 PM »
I want to share some #based positivity with a #rare quote from Lil B (must collect very rare wisdom!)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1174 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:15 PM »
Now, did you go ahead and register yourself as a bounty hunter with immigration?

Well, if the government paid out, they would be complicit in violating the terms of my E-2 visa. I would demand that they be deported right alongside me.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it: I think they're more likely to give me a medal for services rendered!

Hey, it happened to these foreigners, so why not me?  :smiley:

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1175 on: October 19, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »
Oh my god, Kyndo - I can't even handle that article you linked.

"Oh hey, some foreigners did a totally normal thing that is in no way amazing. Better literally give them a medal for it."

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1176 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
We figured out how to better give the directions in Apples to Apples and the 6th graders had so much fun with it that we played it the whole class. One boy had to excuse himself and stand in the corner for a minute because he was giggling so much, and another boy was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to throw up. :laugh: They're usually a pretty quiet class but they were so into this game and it was gratifying to see them having fun.

Offline Sillyleaf

• Adventurer
« Reply #1177 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
Had lessons for my Friday Middle school  done but wasn't impressed with them (they're boring ) today my co-teacher walked into the office and asked if it would be okay if all my classes watched a movie today.

Yes. Sure. Go right ahead!  8)

Now I'm  using my time to edit the lessons to be better for next week~  After lunch I'll start to plan the lesson for the week after. Productive!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1178 on: October 24, 2016, 02:54:45 PM »
I've been pretty sick since last week, and after staying in all weekend I'm doing much better but my voice is very weak. After 4 classes my voice is almost gone so I'm struggling a bit.

Two of my high-level students just came in to the office and asked if I needed any medicine or tea from the nurse's office. I said tea would be nice and they said they would bring me some <3 omg what sweethearts almost makes me sad I'm not renewing

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1179 on: October 24, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »
I've been pretty sick since last week, and after staying in all weekend I'm doing much better but my voice is very weak. After 4 classes my voice is almost gone so I'm struggling a bit.

Two of my high-level students just came in to the office and asked if I needed any medicine or tea from the nurse's office. I said tea would be nice and they said they would bring me some <3 omg what sweethearts almost makes me sad I'm not renewing

Yeah, there are definitely moments when the stress almost seems worth renewing for another year, but then I imagine actually working another year here and I want to jump off a building. I think this semester is only doable because I know it's my last. :laugh:

On the other hand, I thought summer camp was just meh but I overheard one of my third graders telling her homeroom teacher that she's going to sign up again in the winter because it was so fun in the summer. Bless her soul.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment