September 22, 2017, 01:40:49 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 173150 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1060 on: September 29, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Tourist visa for China = approved!

Shanghai Shenanigans coming soon!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1061 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »
Our super stressful open class is over! (Now just two for the parents but that shouldn't be too bad.) My poor co was so nervous during our open class that she was shaking, but it went really well and the kids were so well-behaved. I could tell the kids were nervous too though because they sat straight up in their desks and just stared at me the whole time; they were too nervous to turn around and see the 18 or so teachers who were watching our class.

After it was over the VP came up to me, grabbed my hand, stared me in the eyes, and earnestly said, "This is the best English class I have ever seen." I'm so glad it's done with and her comment made all of the prep worth it.

In 5th grade a couple girls have been begging to play Sleeping Elephants, so we did that today. Some boys whined and moaned but I told them they could sit at the back of the class if they didn't want to play. All the kids looked like they had fun (even the grumpy boys got really into), and at the end of the class the two girls ran up to me and thanked me for the game. I've been having trouble connecting with the girls in this class (they are so darn quiet) but I think we're getting there.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:08:08 PM by chelseajk »

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1062 on: September 29, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
Our super stressful open class is over! (Now just two for the parents but that shouldn't be too bad.) My poor co was so nervous during our open class that she was shaking, but it went really well and the kids were so well-behaved. I could tell the kids were nervous too though because they sat straight up in their desks and just stared at me the whole time; they were too nervous to turn around and see the 18 or so teachers who were watching our class.

After it was over the VP came up to me, grabbed my hand, stared me in the eyes, and earnestly said, "This is the best English class I have ever seen." I'm so glad it's done with and her comment made all of the prep worth it.

In 5th grade a couple girls have been begging to play Sleeping Elephants, so we did that today. Some boys whined and moaned but I told them they could sit at the back of the class if they didn't want to play. All the kids looked like they had fun (even the grumpy boys got really into), and at the end of the class the two girls ran up to me and thanked me for the game. I've been having trouble connecting with the girls in this class (they are so darn quiet) but I think we're getting there.  ;D

Why was your coteacher so nervous? Is she new to teaching English? Or just a new teacher in general?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1063 on: September 29, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

Why was your coteacher so nervous? Is she new to teaching English? Or just a new teacher in general?

Honestly, why does anybody sweat over open class? I've had some CoTs prepare a month ahead of time and stress incessantly for something that, at least at my school, isn't taken seriously by administration at all. It seems like whatever you write for the lesson plan is more important than what actually happens in class. The VP and P pop their heads in for 3 minutes max. Plus, don't teachers here have one of the most secure jobs you can imagine. What's the worst that could happen?

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1064 on: September 29, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

Honestly, why does anybody sweat over open class? I've had some CoTs prepare a month ahead of time and stress incessantly for something that, at least at my school, isn't taken seriously by administration at all. It seems like whatever you write for the lesson plan is more important than what actually happens in class. The VP and P pop their heads in for 3 minutes max. Plus, don't teachers here have one of the most secure jobs you can imagine. What's the worst that could happen?

At my old school, VP and P would watch the entire class, and it was open to any teachers who wanted to come watch it, and usually like 5-10 teachers would come. And even then, I never stressed it. It's like, if you're an experienced teacher, and you know how to teach, it shouldn't be difficult to plan a lesson that will work well, and also look nice for people watching. I'll never understand why people flip out about it. But then again, if you have a coteacher, every day is open class for some NETs, so. Maybe I just got used to it.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1065 on: September 29, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Both. She taught for about a year, had a kid, and just came back now that he's in kindergarten. She's never taught English before, and her language ability is pretty low, which she knows. Open class is taken pretty seriously here. All the other teachers are required to attend (there's a sign in sheet for them), there's a teacher snapping pics constantly, all the teachers have a copy of our lesson plan that they're supposed to make notes on, and the VP and P both attend. After the lesson we all gather in the library where we explain what we did in the lesson and why, and then they give us feedback. Usually they record the class too, but they thankfully they didn't in our class. I wasn't too nervous, mostly because I was just so sick of my co freaking out about it I just wanted it to be over.

My co is just one of those people who has a nervous energy. She worries constantly and everything is a dramatic ordeal.  She obsessed over the open class for a month.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1066 on: September 30, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
I love how excited some students get about games. I had them playing "Connect 3" (there's only 6 students in this class and they like working in groups of 3 instead of pairs) and one student realized he'd just won a match and was practically freaking out  :laugh: :laugh:

This made me especially glad to see him so elated because lately his great grandmother has been having health issues. His parents are out of the picture and he was dumped with great grandparents. He's been really worried about her health recently so it was nice to see him so happy

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1067 on: September 30, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
I just blew my sixth graders' minds by playing Salt n Pepa's "whatta man" for them.

Their 'new' favorite I.O.I. song is actually 22 years old.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1068 on: September 30, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
I just blew my sixth graders' minds by playing Salt n Pepa's "whatta man" for them.

Its actually 48 years old cuz Linda Lydell sang it back in 1968. But that explains why I have been hearing it lately.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1069 on: September 30, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »

Its actually 48 years old cuz Linda Lydell sang it back in 1968. But that explains why I have been hearing it lately.

And now my mine is blown!

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1070 on: September 30, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »

To be fair, the original is still a banger, and the new I.O.I. one is also hot yams.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1071 on: October 06, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »
My debilitating cold did not stop me from powering through two open classes for parents. They went fairly well and it's over and school life can get back to normal now. Just one more day of school then this weekend is the Hwaseong Cultural Festival and the fireworks festival in Seoul. I don't know if that will be worth the crowds but I love fireworks so we'll see how it goes.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1072 on: October 06, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »
I brought in some ice cream for the office cause it's stupid hot outside and one of the teachers goes "Ahh! Selection!" (he doesn't speak much English)

I was all "yeah!!" because I'd brought in two different kinds. Then I realized one of the brands was actually called "Selection." We all had a hearty laugh over that  :laugh:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1073 on: October 06, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »
My debilitating cold did not stop me from powering through two open classes for parents. They went fairly well and it's over and school life can get back to normal now. Just one more day of school then this weekend is the Hwaseong Cultural Festival and the fireworks festival in Seoul. I don't know if that will be worth the crowds but I love fireworks so we'll see how it goes.

I hope you don't mind crowds. I live super close to the fireworks festival and have literally never gone to it, because it's just goofy crowded.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1074 on: October 06, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »
In class the students were practicing dialogue when one student said his last line with an upward inflection at the end like a question. He immediately corrected himself though, and then fell on the ground laughing at himself.  :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1075 on: October 07, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »

I hope you don't mind crowds. I live super close to the fireworks festival and have literally never gone to it, because it's just goofy crowded.
I want to go with my boyfriend because I have never gone before and I also live pretty close now, but he just fractured his hand and a couple fingers the other day and I don't want him getting bumped and jostled. I was hoping that maybe if we went to another area, across the river, at the little island in the middle between Dangsan and Hapjeong...

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

I want to go with my boyfriend because I have never gone before and I also live pretty close now, but he just fractured his hand and a couple fingers the other day and I don't want him getting bumped and jostled. I was hoping that maybe if we went to another area, across the river, at the little island in the middle between Dangsan and Hapjeong...

Yeah. Just don't go to Yeouido.

So, Dr. Dre released a new album a few months ago (Compton). Maybe a year ago? Anyways, recently. I put off listening to it for ages, because I was worried it wouldn't be good.

I finally got around to listening to it, and it's so solid. There's so many meanie songs on it, and the features are all great. It's just such a fun album..

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
I have this student in first grade who is really not very good at English. I remember the first or second class I talked to the teacher about how she refused to answer any questions or practice reading the conversation in the book, and she said "oh yeah, she can't speak English" as if this meant I was free to give up on teaching her. I remember being very upset about it.

Her English has improved a tiny bit, but the biggest change is she seems much happier in English class and likes me a lot!!! I just had her class and she always does the heart-hand thing at me casually until I notice and give her a heart back, and she smiles and looks so happy.

Even if I didn't help her with English much, I'm happy at least if I can brighten her day.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Principal shenanigans continued, although this time it wasn't really shenanigans:

Drinking coffee in our section of the office and she comes up, my boss gives her some coffee. Then she starts talking to me

;D : Guest teacher! I saw your class the other day and it was so good! The students seem to like you a lot!
 :wink: : Because it was a fun class haha
 ;D : Your voice was loud and clear and you had such a big smile! That's so good! Good job!

Most of the "feedback" I get is from boss teacher who doesn't think I work hard enough, so it was nice to be recognized a little bit. The emotional labor of maintaining a positive classroom persona is probably something she doesn't understand lol

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »
I have this student in first grade who is really not very good at English. I remember the first or second class I talked to the teacher about how she refused to answer any questions or practice reading the conversation in the book, and she said "oh yeah, she can't speak English" as if this meant I was free to give up on teaching her. I remember being very upset about it.

Her English has improved a tiny bit, but the biggest change is she seems much happier in English class and likes me a lot!!! I just had her class and she always does the heart-hand thing at me casually until I notice and give her a heart back, and she smiles and looks so happy.

Even if I didn't help her with English much, I'm happy at least if I can brighten her day.

Ugh this grinds my gears so much. Some teachers think, "Oh, X student isn't good at Y subject. Better not bother with them and focus on the ones who are good already."

That's literally not how you're supposed to teach. The students who are already good at something are either 1) self-motivated enough that they don't need excessive attention from teacher, or 2) going to enough hagwon that they're already way ahead of the game and don't need you. Teachers who only focus on the high level students are literally just taking the path of least resistance to getting through the workday. Miserable.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment