November 18, 2017, 08:14:31 PM

Author Topic: Inside Out Movie Camp  (Read 13411 times)

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
Inside Out Movie Camp
« on: December 11, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Hello all! Ever since I saw the movie "Inside Out" this past summer, I was hoping I could do winter camp with it. Luckily, the movie finally came out in Korea and my coT loves the movie, so we are doing the camp!

I am attaching all of the plans we have made so far. It is still in the planning stages, so it isn't complete yet. It is very rough! I will add more as we finish it.
Update We finished a booket for the camp, see below

First, I will attach our time table and then I will break down we are doing for each period. Notice the time table is also rough.  We needed to hand in something today, so I made it on the fly. The times each day will probably vary.

Day 1 Monday

Introduction-This is where we hand out name tags, etc....and introduce the topic! We are thinking of making a booklet for this camp and we would give it to them at this time. If we make the booklet I will upload it later!

Watch Movie-I still haven't sorted out what times I will stop the movie each day, but roughly it will be about 20 to 25 minutes..or a litte bit more, of watching the movie each day. It depends on the scene!  When I sort that out I will update this thread!  Notice We are watching segments of the movie each day, and then watching the whole thing on the last day. We do that so the students can see it all at once and for students who may have missed a day...and of course it makes less planning for us!

Coloring-see attachments #2 and #3. We haven't decided which we will use yet.

Bingo. I haven't dowloaded this yet, but I am getting it from this website. If you click on the bingo sheet and then right click it to save it...or just print directly off the site, it should work.  If this end up looking bad I might do a different kind of bingo or maybe planning a different activity.
http://www.secondchancesgirl.com/2015/07/printable-inside-out-bingo-game.html
UpdateI have downloaded and posted the Bingo, please see the post below.

Emotions Basket-Just Fruits Basket with a different name. Instead of fruit the students will be emotions from the movie and instead of saying "fruits basket!" they will say "emotions basket!" I usually like to have six different "fruits" when we play Fruits Basket, so I might add another emotion because there are only five Inside Out emotions!  You can find out how to play Fruits Basket here:
https://www.thegamegal.com/2011/04/30/fruit-basket-game/

Day 2 Tuesday

Review-We have a few ring toss sets.  Usually we review by putting the students into teams and then they all get two rings. If they toss it and make it, they get two points for each ring, but if they miss they must answer a question from the day (or days) before and get one point.The winning team gets a sticker.  At the end of the week the students with the most stickers get a prize.

Emotion Vocabulary-The students will learn other words for emotions and then play this sorting game.  See attachments #4 and #5
Here is the website where I found it so you can get an idea how it is used.
http://www.momendeavors.com/2015/06/printable-emotions-sorting-game-disney-pixar-inside-out.html
Update The booklet has worksheets for this activity.

Game of Emotions-It is a printable boardgame I found.  Please follow the directions on how to play and print as many as you need for your camp! Please note the instructions say print three sets of cards for each game! Also, the students can probably see through the back of the card, so might want to glue it onto another piece of paper before cutting it out. See attachment #6

Twister Tournament-We have four sets of Twister games, so we are going to have a tournament. For the older grades we might use the emotions instead of the colors-instead of saying red they will say anger, something like that.

Day 3 Wednesday

Experiencing Emotions-I am not sure how we will do this yet, but my coT wants to use some of the words they learned the day before and then talk about a time they felt that emotion and what the solution was.  I am going to make a worksheet similar to this (see the circle worksheet). When I make it I will post it!
http://www.stillplayingschool.com/2015/06/ideas-movie-inside-out-activity-emotions-kids.html
Update I made the worksheet, it is in the booklet!

Speed Game-Again my coT's idea. I am not quite sure about it yet.  I think she wants to glue pictures of emotions onto chop sticks and then we say the emotion and they hold it up quickly.  I have a feeling this one may change!

Game-Train of Thought boardgame. See attachment #7 This came has foldable cards, so no need to glue!

Day 4 Thursday

Role Play-I haven't written a script for this yet.  I might make a Mad Libs type story for the younger students and fill it out together.  Then they will use it as their role play.  The older students might write a simple script in their groups and perform it. I will post it when I have it sorted out!

Update I did make a Mad Libs story and it is in the booklet! I am not 100% sure how we will use it for role play yet. It will be good for the younger students, but I feel the older students should write more of a script. We shall see!

I tried to find print out masks for the role play, but I couldn't find any. We might just print out a picture of each character, cut out the head and attach it to a chopstick or tape it to a lanyard for the students to use.

Making characters of clay-So I wanted the students to make their favorite character and my coT got the idea to use clay. I saw the material she wants to use and to me it is more like Play Dough.  I don't know how it will work, I am leaving this to her to sort out.  I am assuming this will take a lot of time and I will probably have to do a demo for the younger students on how to make different shapes and mold them into their favorite character. 

Here are some links for other ideas to make the characters:
Paper plate/bag craft http://abccreativelearning.com/inside-out-inspired-kids-craft/

Toilet roll craft http://meaningfulmama.com/2015/07/pixar-inside-out-toilet-paper-roll-craft.html

***If the clay thingy doesn't work out, I want to do the toilet roll craft instead!***

Day 5 Friday

Lava-I want to do something with Lava, the animated short at the beginning of the movie, but my coT hasn't seen it yet! It wasn't on the version of the movie she streamed. However, it should be a special feature on the DVD.  We will probably first watch the song and then learn how to sing it. I am going to ask my coT go to through it and identify which words are difficult for the students, practice saying them and the meaning, etc. Then sing the song.  Attached is a lyric sheet for the song. I haven't done anything with it yet.  If I do, I will post it again.  See attachment #8.

During the closing part, the students who have the most stickers will get a prize. 

***The winners of all the games we will play will get stickers.  The best role play group will as well. We try to give the students lots of opporunities to get stickers!***

The rest are extra activities I found.  I will update if I end up using some of them.

Extra Activities Attachments:
Attachment #9-Inside Out Maze.  Be sure to cover up the answer on the bottom when you make copies!
Attachment#10-Super Synonyms. I may try to use this on day two for emotion vocabulary.
Attachment#11-Things that make you feel! I may use this on day 3 to start the experiencing emotions activity.

Attachment #12-Inside Out Emotions Translations Activity. It has Korean on it! I will probably use this on the first day during the introduction of the topic.

Attachment #13-Inside Out hexaflexagon. If I do this, it will be with only the older students.

Attachment #14-Inside Out door hangers. I probably won't use this, but it is a nice keepsake.

Printable Activities:

I haven't printed these out, but I may do some of them.

From this page I want to do the broccoli activity.  Click on the picture and right click to save or just print from the page.
https://www.earlymoments.com/disney/List-of-Disney-Books/Inside-Out/fun-activities/

There are some more activities on this page.  The only one I think might be good is activity 4.
http://bkfk.com/insideout/

Well, that is all. I am sorry it isn't complete. I only just started this week because I wanted to make sure the movie came out on DVD in time for camp and I wanted my coT to see it!  I will add more in other posts as we finish them.  You can PM me or comment if you have questions!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:10:34 PM by annataleen »

Offline Ray2TheJ

• Veteran
Re: Inside Out Movie Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I too plan on doing an Inside Out camp and also had to whip up a whole rough camp plan to hand in today.

Mine is just for one week, two periods for each group. I plan to show 20ish minutes at the end each day. Each day I'll focus on one emotion and associated expressions.

Joy: "I am happy." and "I like (to) ____."
Sadness: "Let's ___" bc when people are sad we should suggest things to cheer them up
Anger: "Don't _____"
Fear: Commands: run! jump! sit! go!, etc. bc when faced with scary situations
Disgust: "I don't want ___"

I'm doing similar activities from the regular school year (PPT games and such) that correspond to those expressions but some extras you might be interested in:

My emotions tree: Clearly it's different than shown in the pic provided but here's what I'll do. The students will each trace and cut out their hand from each of the five character colors. Then in the palm they'll write that emotion's name and on each finger they'll write one thing that makes them feel that way. So five hands, five different emotions, and five things that make them feel each emotion.

Silhouette project: I'll print out the characters in color for each student to cut. Then using the projector for a shadow with their paper taped to the board, they'll trace each other's heads

Watercolor pic: Because it looks colorful and fun. Though watercolor paper and paints are needed. And the energy to make each picture for all students. I'll have a smaller group so I can take each child's pics and edit as shown on the website http://liverandomlysimple.com/super-easy-watercolor-kids-craft-project/

Secret invitations: For the sadness lesson and "let's..." expressions I will do this project. They'll each randomly pick a classmate's name from a hat then have to write that student a secret invitation using white crayon. After they exchange they use the watercolor to reveal the words and pictures.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
Oh my, thank you so much Ray2TheJ!  I can tell you already that my coT wants to do the hand activity!  I think we are going to do it on the first day and and display the tree throughout the camp!

We work at a big school and will have large classes, so doing five hands for each is too much for us.  We are going to have each student make one hand and color the five different fingers the character colors and then they write one sentence to match the emotion on the finger. Then we will make a class tree.

Thanks for the AMAZING ideas!  I will look at the other ones more next week! We probably won't paint though because we did last year and it was too much clean up!  :P

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
I have finished the booklet for the Inside Out camp! I can't take credit for it because I got the book from the Lego Movie camp thread and I used the same format and only changed the content. Thank you to the person who made the booklet.

I have looked it over a few times and corrected any mistakes, but I welcome a new set of eyes.

This camp is made to watch the movie for four days and the book follows that schedule. If you change the number of days be aware the booklet will not match it, though it would be easy to change.

For questions and the vocabulary, I watched that section of the movie and just chose things. One word, nightmare, is NOT in the movie. Riley has a bad dream and they call it a bad dream, but I thought why not teach them nightmare!? Haha!

The  booklet includes some things I mentioned in my orginal post that I said I would make later.

I have also attached an updated time table for the camp. It isn't really accurate because the blocks of time haven't changed, nor does it show when we will do the book. Each day will have a different schedule, so this is a generic official one for the school.

The update on the time table shows what time to stop the movie each day.

I hope someone can use this, because I know I haven't given enough back to the Wagook community.

Update I did find a few minor mistakes in the book, so I am uploading it again. I am sorry to the people who have already downloaded it (133, wow!) maybe you have already seen them, but if you haven't basically question #8 on Day 3 and question #3 in Day 4 had words missing in the sentence. Question #5 for Day 4 was a bit awkward, so I changed it.

This new version of the book also has the Lava song on the last page with a Korean translation! It should be pretty accurate because my coT did it herself! Enjoy!

Update! I found one more minor mistake.  Sorry to the two people who downloaded the new version. The mistake was on Day 3 question #6.  It has been corrected uploaded again.

Update again!!! I found one more minor mistake. Day 3, the example sentence for "sleep on it" had an extra word that shouldn't be there. It has been deleted and uploaded again. Sorry to the two people who downloaded it.

Sorry for the mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:28:43 AM by annataleen »

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
I'm going to piggy back off this post and add my Inside Out camp materials here. I actually did this camp in the summer but never got around to uploading it. It's mostly just themed after the movie without actually having anything to do with the movie's plot. We had 4 days with 2 classes per day but you can organize it however you want. (This is the first of several posts)

1 - Introduction
Introduce the camp, the themes, the teams, etc. We had 5 teams. Each team is named after a character. We had students choose teams randomly so no one got upset. Surprisingly, this worked and no one was mad with their team. During each class activity the students could earn "core memories". For example, you earn the sadness core memory during the Sad Memory class. If you got all the core memories, your team gets special power-ups for the review game at the end of the week.

2 - Friendship Memory
Students practice meeting new people. Learn expressions for greeting and also some questions/answers you might ask someone you just met.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:35:47 PM by ajr30 »

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
3 - Scary Memory
Students will practice the difference between scared and scary. You'll show them clips from movies and they have to guess scared or scary for different characters. We changed the PPT for the younger students to O or X. This version is fill in the blank for the older students. Also, this PPT had the videos embedded but it's too big to upload that way, so I removed all the videos and I'll upload them in a zip file after I finish all the other PPTs.

4 - Gross Memory
Students will practice numbers. I showed them the big number song. Then, they have to watch several items fly across the screen quickly and write down how many they saw. The closest student wins. I also made two "gross jars" that the students had to guess how many things were in the jars. We did one jar with gummy worms and the other with fake teeth.

5 - Sad Memory (Craft)
Students practiced describing things. We used different vocab for younger and older students. Then students had to make their own imaginary friend out of paper and other art supplies we had available.

6 - Angry Memory
Students practiced phonics with tongue twisters. This lesson is pretty short because the previous lesson takes a long time. Not much to it. Just have them say the twister as fast as they can and as many times as they can.

7 - Funny Memory
Similar to the scared-scary lesson. Students try to tell the difference between fun and funny. This one mostly used a worksheet in their books after a few examples in the PPT.

8 - Blockbusters Review
This was our review game that the students played. If you don't know this game, basically there are two teams (blue and red) and each team wants to connect their color across the board (it's easier to understand if you see the PPT). However, what we did since we had 5 teams, we put 3 teams on one color and 2 on the other. Then the students had power-ups that let them switch teams, kick a team from their color, pull a team to their color, or jump to the other color. It actually worked really well. The only rule for power-ups was that only one power up can be used each round (so a team can't jump back and forth between colors 5 times in one round). You'll want to draw two boxes on the board labeled red and blue and put the team markers in the right box then move them as they use the power-ups.

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Here are the book pages, the name tags (both in Word and separate pictures), the core memory stickers, and the fruit stickers for the first less (Happy Memory).

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
Last one... Here are the videos for the Scary Memory class. You can either add these back into the PPT or alt+tab to view the video at the right time.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
I finally downloaded the Inside Out Bingo.

It is attached below.

Offline ChrisIrish

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
This is awesome!  ;D

When I got informed I would have 3 weeks of Winter Camp I didn't know what to do, except that I wanted to make a movie camp and have as many fun games and activities as possible.
After seeing the movie Inside Out literally last week, it's funny how I stumble across this on my hunt for gold in the lifesaver that is Waygook.org!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for saving me, especially Annataleen. I've pretty much used your template, with some minor changes to the workbook and timetable. I've had to adapt it for 2 different levels.

Thanks to Ray2theJ for the tree of emotions idea - although I've decided to make a tower block to put memory balls in, just like the ones in the movie.

Anyhoo, in return for all your great ideas, please find attached an absolute mammoth Powerpoint with lots of colors and gifs. It's set up for my 5 day camp (6th day will just show the movie) and designed to work in tandem with the workbook posted by Annataleen.

Hopefully someone else can make use of it or at least parts of it. I designed a bingo game in there too and all the slides have hangul translations.

Happy New Year!! 8)

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »
Thanks ChrisIrish! Are you posting the PowerPoint later?  I can't wait to see it!

Please let me know if you find any mistakes in the booklet. I went through it a few times and corrected the mistakes I did find (before I posted of course) but there may be some I missed.

I hope you have a good camp!

Offline ChrisIrish

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
Looks like the attachment is awaiting approval...

It's 100 slides, completed except for the "end review" slide - was thinking of creating some type of game akin to the frozen style games on here.
There's also a lot of pix on slide 1 that can be used.

Anyway, hopefully the attachment is approved soon so you can have a look.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
Oooh yeah, it may be too big to post.  In that case, you may have to change it to a zip!

I am so excited, we just finished printing out the books for the first week of camp.  We printed them in color, they look so nice!

I finished up printing out the two boardgames. I have a big school, so my camp is big as well. As such, I had to print out eight copies of each game. We laminated them and they look nice, but it took a long time to put together.

If you are doing the boardgames, give yourself time to prepare them!

Offline ChrisIrish

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »
Yeah I've done 3 copies of the train of thought n 5 of the game of emotions. Might need more tho. Most of the laminating is done thankfully. A lot of prep time went into this so hope it all pays off!!
Hope my hangul on the powerpoint is on point, guna be tricky with no co-teacher!

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »
I downloaded your PPT ChrisIrish, it looks nice! We are going to use some of it in our camp.  Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:34:12 PM by annataleen »

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
As expected, we are going to change the speed game a bit. We are basically going to play Telephone now.

My teacher print, cut out and pasted each of the emotion characters onto a paddle. The students will be in teams (they are assigned teams each day anyway) and we will say one of the words to one student in each team, then will they will  whisper it to their teammate and so on until it gets to the last team member. The last team member will hold up the correct paddle. The fastest team is the winner!

To add more challenge, we will say two or more emotions instead of one.

For the older grades we are thinking about making it more challenging by using words that are the same category as the five main emotions, and then the final team member must identify the correct category and hold up the paddle.  For example; cheerful=happy, hurt=sad, scared=fear, mad=angry, and yuck=disgusted and so on.

We will see how that goes!

Offline Chitown312

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
I just finished my Inside Out lesson for winter camp.  Attached is a ppt with practice and a game. I also attached some cards that can be cut out for line bingo and slap game.  I showed them the movie for the first 12 minutes  and then used the ppt.  The ppt introduces each character and shows them a new phrase with example sentences to learn.  We practiced the sentences and then discussed different sentences to use with each character.  Then we played the ppt game.  A group will pick a character and say the correct sentence. Then click on the thought bubble to show points.  After the ppt game, we used the cards to play line bingo and slap game.  Slap game is when the teacher says a sentence and the student should try and slap the correct card before his/her partner.  For line bingo we had each student pick 9 cards and put them in a line.  Then I randomly select a student and they read a card on the left or right of their bingo line.  If any student has that card, they should turn over that card.  Keep going until all cards are turned over.  This was for 3rd and 4th grade elementary and it took about 80 minutes.  :)

Offline damocha

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
Finished my 4 day Inside Out winter camp today. Thanks to everyone for posting on this thread. I was able to use / tweak a lot of the materials. Again, thank you.

Here are a few activities that were a hit with my middle school students:

1) Board Race
Students split up into teams. They sit their teams in a row perpendicular to the board. I have identical lists of 8-10 words for each team and hang them on the board. When I say go, the first person on each team races to the board and translates the first word and writes in on the board. She races back to give the marker to the next person and sits back in her own seat. The second person runs to the front and translates the next word... and so on. If a student doesn't know the word, she can give up and pass the marker on to the next person. The game ends when all the words have been correctly translated.

My students love this game. It's a great way to review vocabulary. I usually mix writing the words in Korean and English. Make sure to tell the kids to stay in their seat if they do not have the marker. They tend to get excited and run to meet the next person for the marker or migrate to the front of the room.

2) Imaginary Friend Pictionary
I used the Sadness PPT and tweaked it. I had the students write 3 nouns on 3 scrap pieces of paper and then put them in a hat. The students broke up into two teams, sat on opposite sides of the room, and picked one person to draw first. The drawers each drew a noun. After seeing both words, they rushed back to their teams to draw an imaginary friend on their whiteboard. EX: pizza / bear - They could draw a bear for a body and pizza for the head. When their teammates wanted to guess the imaginary friend, she had to use the sentence, "He is part _____ and part _______." After a few rounds, you can add another noun. "He is part ______, part ________, and part _______." I wouldn't do more than three though. It gets too confusing.

3) Inside Out Movie Review Bomb Game
I broke down and purchased Office 360 in English so I could make bomb games. This is my first one. It's a little crappy since it was a rush job, but the kids didn't complain. They were able to finish the whole board in 10-15 minutes.

NOTES:
- The slides aren't in order of the balls.
- Students can earn (and lose) more points by answering questions on the right side.
- Works in PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 360
- Keep track of points on the board
- The green O is not a hyperlink. Anywhere you click will show you how many points you earned for getting the question right. It's just there for show. The X, however, is hyperlinked.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:42:16 PM by damocha »

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
Thank you for your post damocha! It is good this theme can be used in middle school as well.

Offline Ryan

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »
So did you guys just show the movie with no Korean subtitles?   Kids were still engaged?
I have my higher level Elementary students so I think no subtitles should be a positive.