November 18, 2017, 08:14:08 PM

Author Topic: 3 Day Pokemon Camp  (Read 6349 times)

Offline retroranger

• Adventurer
3 Day Pokemon Camp
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
OK guys... so I worked really hard on this camp and I want someone else to get something out of it. I owe so much to so many people on the internet for the materials used here:

Firstly, thanks to my NET coteacher who came from another school to help me with this program. I do not have all of her materials (one was an elaborate and wonderful board game that she made by hand and therefore I don't have on the computer haha). I will post a few of her worksheets here, but I do not know her waygook screen name to give her credit on here. Thanks. so. much.

Thanks also to Sprite06 for his Pokemon bomb game, which inspired this camp (because my kids love it so much) and because I gutted it for my introductions in each lesson.

I also used She Follow Me's Evolution Game as a behavior tracker (http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,10636.msg185318.html#msg185318) - each time a group's Pokemon "evolved" they got a gym badge sticker. They gained levels by participating, following instructions in a timely fashion and cleaning up after themselves.

I used a lot of Pokemon images that I found online on Deviant Art and other sites and I feel very badly that I didn't keep track of where more of my images were coming from so that I could credit the artists, but I was on a deadline when I pulled everything together. Where I could, I left the artists signature in the images. Many images came from Bulbapedia and the official Pokemon site as well.

So thanks thanks thanks to all the Pokemon people on the internet who made these things so that I could steal them. If you see something you made and I didn't credit, please let me know! Also, feel free to post you own materials related to Pokemon so that others may use them.

I am attaching the student booklet, my lesson plans and the gym badges used for rewards on this first post and my other lesson materials will follow. Students received the gen 1 badges - 1 for each class they attended in the yellow spaces on their worksheets. They received the badges on the other sticker sheets for winning games, leveling their starter (good behavior) and so on. I printed the badge stickers on label paper and scored them ahead of time.

Offline retroranger

• Adventurer
Re: 3 Day Pokemon Camp
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:12 AM »
Day one we had introductions, warm up games and one 40 minute lesson.

For warm up games, first we played pass the card. The students were divided into 2 groups and each group made a circle. It's best if you have 2 teachers for this one. One teacher stands at each circle and you set a timer for 1-5 minutes depending on how many vocab words you have. I used the attached Pokemon Type Cards. When the timer starts, you hand the first student in the circle a card. You show them the picture and say the word. They turn and give the card to the next student and say the word. You should immediately hand the first student a new card. The students pass the card all the way around the circle, saying the word as it's said to them, and the last student will say it back to the teacher. Any word that is said correctly back to the teacher gets one point (put the cards in a pile) and the team with the most correct words when the timer goes off gets a gym badge.

The second warm up game was "Pokebattle" which is just a themed version of "Dinner Time" students sit musical chairs style with chairs back to back in a circle or two lines. Each student gets a Pokemon Type Card. The teacher (or a higher level student) walks in a circle around the chairs in one direction calling out "I choose...." or "I want..." or some variation depending on what language students know or are being taught and calls out each vocabulary type in turn until everyone is standing and following. So if I were to say "I choose rock type." Anyone who has a rock card would stand and follow me in a circle. Once all students are standing, the teacher can call out "Pokebattle" and all students must try to find a seat, but the teacher will sit down too. Whoever is left standing is the new it. (I usually remove a chair at this point and walk around with the 'it' to help them with the new vocabulary.)

After the icebreaker games, I had a lesson on drawing. Worksheets and lesson plan for this lesson can be found attached in the first post (Worksheets Complete and Lesson Plans 1-4). We first learned vocabulary related to shapes (Vocabulary Day 1 ppt). I had one class that was all 3rd graders, and one class that was 4th-6th (elementary). You can adjust the key expressions that go with this based on your students level. Then we filled in the worksheets for this class.

We then played "Find the Shape" with the attached Pokemon Posters. I printed them out on A3 paper and laminated them. Each team got one set of posters (2) and enough whiteboard markers for each student. I set a timer. Students asked me "what shape is it?" and I answered (with third grade, I often drew the shape as well). Students had between 10-30 seconds (depending on how difficult the round was) to find as many of that shape as they could. The team that found the most each round got a badge. We had time to play 2-3 rounds each class.

Next, we drew Pokemon! In their workbooks, there is a page with two spaces to draw in. The first one I guided the students in drawing Pikachu. I didn't tell them what we were drawing, just gave them instructions. So "First, draw an oval. Now, draw a rectangle." And showed them where by drawing on the board. I got a lot of funny guesses from students as to what they were drawing (about a third caught on really quickly that we were drawing the most famous Pokemon, but I was surprised to find that most did not and were shouting out all sorts of weird guesses). After we drew the whole Pikachu, I gave students crayons and sign pens and "How to draw Booklets" (cut and folded) and they spent the rest of the class drawing and coloring their Pokemon (they could color Pikachu and draw a new Pokemon). Some students asked me to guide another drawing and for them I did either mankey or a really simplified vulpix (lots of swirls, hearts and other good shapes and simple to draw using learned shape names). If students finished early, there was a Pokemon Types Crossword in their workbooks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:10:52 AM by retroranger »

Offline retroranger

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »
Day 2 had two 40 minute periods on the same topic (or kind of the same topic). For this, I did animals and how to describe them. We did the describing part first because despite that seeming illogical topically, linguistically it wound up being easier for students.

So, Lesson 2A is describing Pokemon. You can again find worksheets and lesson plans in the first post. We introduced the new vocabulary related to animal body parts and features and students repeated to learn pronunciation and practice key expressions.

We then played a Creature Feature game using page 13 of their workbook and dice. Students played in pairs. They played rock paper scissors to determine order of play. If the winner is S1 dialogue goes like this:
S1: What does it look like? *rolls the die*
S2: It has _____. (based on the number rolled)
S1: *draws that feature on their worksheet*
S2's turn

If a student rolls the same number again, they still have the dialogue and draw a second of the same feature. It is a race to see who can draw all 6 features first. They were able to play two rounds and if they finished while other pairs were still working, I encouraged them to draw the rest of their pokemon (i.e. add eyes and legs and other parts not dictated by the dice).

Next was Guess Who. My head teacher wanted to buy the actual game boards for this, so the insert that is attached here fits into the Disney Jr. and whatever this one with pizza is: http://momfactually.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/81nsqEaMCRL._SL1500_.jpg

If you don't have those guess who boards, you can just cut doors in a piece of stuff paper and turn them into flaps (which was my original plan before she bought the boards). I printed and backed cards so that students could cheat by changing their Pokemon part way through (yes, they will). At this level, we play Guess Who by making true or false statements rather than asking questions. So S1 will say "It has horns." and S2 can answer Yes or No. They alternate turns until they know the Pokemon. I put the English name and the English name as it would be pronounced in Hangul. Most of the kids don't know the Pokemon names in Korean anyway (unless they're really into it like my 5th grade boys) because there are like 5billion Pokemon now and they can't memorize them all like we did when there were only 151.

For Class 2B we went over animal names. I introduced a lot of vocabulary here because most of the students (especially in the 4th-6th class) knew about 1/3-1/2 of these already. After we learned the animal names, we did the workbook pages 11 and 12. Because there was a lot of vocabulary, this part took longer and me and my CT went around and helped lower level students.

We then played UNO (explained in the ppt if you haven't played before) with the attached cards (print and put backs on the cards, laminate if you wish). We actually wound up playing UNO for the rest of the period, but if you need more material, I attached one low and one high level activity for reading practice.

Pikachu Pikachu is a modified version of the book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" in ppt form. I was planning on reading with the 3rd graders. After each "I see a(n) animal/pokemon." students would ask "What does it look like?" and I would give a description. Based on the pictures shown to them and my descriptions, student would guess which pokemon/animal was on the next page. Easy.

For older/higher level students, there is Connect 4. We play this game in regular classes and students love it. Print the worksheet and laminate it so that they can use whiteboard markers on it (because they're going to want to play again). I usually show them a youtube video of people playing real connect four (which is on my classroom computer and not here, sorry  :sad: ) so that they understand that pieces need to stack on top of each other from the bottom (and why they can't just put a piece anywhere). We play in groups of four with 2 people on each team so that students can support each other if one has a harder time reading. They get 2 different colored whiteboard markers and have at. They must read the sentence out loud to secure the space.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:53:57 AM by retroranger »

Offline retroranger

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
Day 3 was one 40 minute class, but it was mostly project time.

We warmed up and practiced writing by playing Pokemon Telepathy - template by amores on waygook. My 3rd graders (Class A) has only really written words at this point, not sentences, so they got their own version while 4th-6th (Class B) wrote words and sentences. We gave them white boards (1 per group) and they chose a word/sentence and whichever one came out of the pokeball got a point - team with the most points at the end got a badge. Easy.

Next we made a Pokedex. We went over the PPT which I called Vocabulary Day 3 even though it doesn't actually introduce vocabulary. Oops. I made a big example on the board. Mainly, the teaching for this part is to generate a lot of ideas for students and show examples both of how to make their own pokemon and how to construct sentences about them using what we learned throughout the previous 2 days. In the end, about half my students wound up doing Pikachu anyway because they are afraid of risk. haha

My kids had a lot of fun during this camp, so I hope someone else gets some use out of this.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:18:33 PM by retroranger »

Offline retroranger

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:57 AM »
Saved

Offline verve68

• Newgookin
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
Thank you! This three-day camp was very well planned with excellent PPTs and worksheets. I used it with my 3rd graders and they loved it!! Great work and thanks again for sharing.

Offline JustAnElegy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing. Here's a pokemon hunt worksheet I made, and some other stuff online for supplemental worksheets.

Cheers.

Offline KristineManuel

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »
Thank you so much for your hard work! This camp looks like a lot of fun. I hope my students enjoy it :)

Offline akplmn

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Thought I'd add on to this since I just did some Pokemon related stuff for a short one day camp.

There's a version of Human Zero Game with Pokemon that I made.  Human Zero is really a reading game, but it can used for sentence drilling, too.  I designed this game it for a third grader camp, so it uses pictures instead of words, but you could easily make it a reading activity.  There's also a Pokemon "body parts" word search that I made for them from a template online.

My co-teacher also used a Find the Pokemon activity for teaching prepositions that I've attached.  Not sure where she got it, but it has some mistakes in it, so give it a run through before you use it.

Offline winsynonym

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing your amazing materials!

As I will be borrowing heavily from these I thought it would only be right if I shared my own materials as well.

Please download and install the fonts!

DON'T MIND! DON'T MIND!

Offline winsynonym

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
I made a pokemon themed version of the mission impossible scrambled letters games.

The idea is team rocket are trying to capture pikachu. Students need to unscramble the word/sentence to save pikachu.

First team rocket descends from the sky in a hot air balloon then they move along the bottom of the screen. The whole animation takes about 15s. You can change the timing if you want.

Fonts should be embedded. Any problems let me know ^^

Feedback is appreciated~
DON'T MIND! DON'T MIND!

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
http://notboringenglish.com/ has some cool pokemon trump cards

Offline winsynonym

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Pokemon themed 4 corners game

I assumed you're all familiar with the rules of the game ^^

Adapted from a pokemon multiple choice quiz PPT  I downloaded from waygook

Fonts should be embedded~
DON'T MIND! DON'T MIND!

Offline winsynonym

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Where's the Pokemon?

Another pokemon game~

I will be using this to practice giving directions and prepositions.

This was adapted from a "Find the monkeys" game which can be found here:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,85782.20.html

I changed the monkeys to pikachu, bulbasaur, charmander and squirtle instead and added some instructions at the beginning of the ppt. Many thanks to original creators.

The vocab and dialogue used is also from the same lesson.
DON'T MIND! DON'T MIND!

Offline Snackiee

• Newgookin
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
I'm doing a Pokemon Camp as well and everything that's been posted here so far seems really great! I thought that it's only fair for me to share at least something. I made an introduction slide with a sort of warm of game to introduce the kids to the camp and the reward system. I also added the templates I used for making the actual materials (in this case the type cards and large badge printouts).