December 11, 2017, 08:23:27 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 424697 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4280 on: October 11, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
I received a rejection email for a job I recently applied for.

It was the first communication from them since the automated receipt email, so I was surprised many it.

It made me think, "that's unusual, and classy!"

I will apply to them again for sure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:04:06 AM by JNM »

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4281 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:35 AM »
Is it just me but as soon as I saw Weinstein and lewd behaviour of a Hollywood executive, I wasn't surprised in the least bit?  'You wanna get famous?'  Especially after Elijah Wood and his talking about the Hollywood paedophile rings, is it any wonder that this kind of thing goes on unchecked? 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4282 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
Is it just me but as soon as I saw Weinstein and lewd behaviour of a Hollywood executive, I wasn't surprised in the least bit?  'You wanna get famous?'  Especially after Elijah Wood and his talking about the Hollywood paedophile rings, is it any wonder that this kind of thing goes on unchecked? 

Not just you.  I feel like anyone who is legitimately surprised is honestly ignorant or willfully so. 

In other news, dyed some of my hair for the first time ever last night (bit of a slight ombre) and it turned out really well!  I'm pleased as punch.  My hair is no longer virgin  :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4283 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
The first time I dyed my hair was in highschool. I washed it out too early and it turned my hair grey. But not a cool grey. More of a really-old-person grey. Luckily I was nearly as oblivious to others then as I am now, so I didn't get razzed nearly as much as I probably deserved.

A year or so later, just to avoid the appearance of learning from one's mistakes, I dyed my hair again, this time raven-black. Washed it out to early (again) and for some reason rather than a nice black with subtle blue highlights, it turned my hair fluorescent blue. Which was awesome, as I had a job interview the next day. God bless tuques because either the interviewers didn't notice and hired me, or else they felt sorry for me and hired me. Also, I got more flack from custom officers than from my peers which is pretty surprising considering who my friends were at the time.  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4284 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
@JNM: Send them an e-card.

The excessively vocal R&M fans are awful and cast a bad light on all the normal people who enjoy it.

But they create such great discussion pieces!

Not at all. Most people kind of suspect that this sort of thing is going on, just no one really talks about it until the lid gets blown off of a specific target.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4285 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »

Not at all. Most people kind of suspect that this sort of thing is going on, just no one really talks about it until the lid gets blown off of a specific target.

Yeah.  There's also a fear of being blacklisted if one gets involved or blows the whistle.  I mean so many people still work with Woody Allen in spite of the creepy circumstances in which he bagged his current wife. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4286 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Yeah.  There's also a fear of being blacklisted if one gets involved or blows the whistle.  I mean so many people still work with Woody Allen in spite of the creepy circumstances in which he bagged his current wife.

Pretty much what Terry Crews tweeted about. Even now he won't name the person who did it to him because of a fear of ramifications.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:21:34 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4287 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »
The first time I dyed my hair was in highschool. I washed it out too early and it turned my hair grey. But not a cool grey. More of a really-old-person grey. Luckily I was nearly as oblivious to others then as I am now, so I didn't get razzed nearly as much as I probably deserved.

A year or so later, just to avoid the appearance of learning from one's mistakes, I dyed my hair again, this time raven-black. Washed it out to early (again) and for some reason rather than a nice black with subtle blue highlights, it turned my hair fluorescent blue. Which was awesome, as I had a job interview the next day. God bless tuques because either the interviewers didn't notice and hired me, or else they felt sorry for me and hired me. Also, I got more flack from custom officers than from my peers which is pretty surprising considering who my friends were at the time.  :smiley:

Hahahah.  My hair is basically black (darkest of brown at the ends) and I had intended to use some fun colors after lightening it (found a dye that doesn't require bleach!) but I'm rather fond of how it is now so the pinks and blues may have to wait.   ;D

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4288 on: October 12, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
I was at my small, rural travel school today.  It's elementary.  3rd grade had 5 students, now down to 4.  The only girl in the class is gone.  5th grade had 3 students, now down to 2; one boy and one girl.   :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4289 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
I was at my small, rural travel school today.  It's elementary.  3rd grade had 5 students, now down to 4.  The only girl in the class is gone.  5th grade had 3 students, now down to 2; one boy and one girl.   :sad:

Aww, I know that rural school feel.  It's always super noticeable whenever a student departs or is new or is even just absent because there are just so few of them.  I was so happy for one of my 3rd grade classes once because it was a class of 11 boys and 1 girl; a few weeks later a new girl showed up and the two lasses were instantly best buds! 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4290 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »

Aww, I know that rural school feel.  It's always super noticeable whenever a student departs or is new or is even just absent because there are just so few of them.  I was so happy for one of my 3rd grade classes once because it was a class of 11 boys and 1 girl; a few weeks later a new girl showed up and the two lasses were instantly best buds!

My class of 2 4th grade boys got a girl added a few months ago. She's pretty lonely :/ I feel bad for the 5th grader tho. The one 5th grader.......

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4291 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

My class of 2 4th grade boys got a girl added a few months ago. She's pretty lonely :/ I feel bad for the 5th grader tho. The one 5th grader.......

I'm really glad none of my classes have only one student.  I imagine they'd be so lonely.   :sad:

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4292 on: October 12, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
had some open classes with the parents today. some of the younger students asked me if my mum was going to come and watch too. hah

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4293 on: October 13, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »
A coworker was lamenting that the kids don't study, they just like to play.  (upcoming midterms and all)

I'm just happy that they're enjoying their only opportunity to be kids.  They'll have to put their noses to the grind come high school anyway.  Let them enjoy their last freedoms for a while. 

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4294 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »
A coworker was lamenting that the kids don't study, they just like to play.  (upcoming midterms and all)

I'm just happy that they're enjoying their only opportunity to be kids.  They'll have to put their noses to the grind come high school anyway.  Let them enjoy their last freedoms for a while.

This is one of my big gripes with Korean society, and this idea that there should be an 'efficiency' to their lifestyle, whereas we all know Korean working practices are ridiculously unproductive and inefficient.  If you look like you're 'working', that's good enough.  It is engrained in the society.  Especially when it comes to studying.  The Korean education system especially in middle and high school, goes against any credible research into best practices for learning.  It's a case of cram it all in.  So I feel sorry for my students in that they don't have a childhood without stress.  I don't remember feeling pressure at the age of 11 and 12 to do anything.  In fact, that was most of my childhood. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4295 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »

This is one of my big gripes with Korean society, and this idea that there should be an 'efficiency' to their lifestyle, whereas we all know Korean working practices are ridiculously unproductive and inefficient.  If you look like you're 'working', that's good enough.  It is engrained in the society.  Especially when it comes to studying.  The Korean education system especially in middle and high school, goes against any credible research into best practices for learning.  It's a case of cram it all in.  So I feel sorry for my students in that they don't have a childhood without stress.  I don't remember feeling pressure at the age of 11 and 12 to do anything.  In fact, that was most of my childhood.

I don't remember having to study until 2nd or 3rd year university when the inflow of information in class became higher than my ability to internalize the knowledge.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #4296 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
After 5+ years, this is my last couple days in Korea. I want to thank everyone in this forum for the hours of entertainment and teaching material you all gave me. Cheers to you all.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4297 on: October 13, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
After 5+ years, this is my last couple days in Korea. I want to thank everyone in this forum for the hours of entertainment and teaching material you all gave me. Cheers to you all.
Sorry to see another long timer go!
Check up on us, occasionally!
 :smiley:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4298 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
Friday, there was mail in my box in the morning and again in the afternoon. There was more Saturday morning.

All bills.

I wonder how often they deliver mail here.

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4299 on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »

I don't remember having to study until 2nd or 3rd year university when the inflow of information in class became higher than my ability to internalize the knowledge.

Shhhh, don't tell them the truth about that. 

As I teach in high school here, I hate the 'D-Day 39' boards that are in all of the final year students' classrooms.  What a horrible reminder of the impending stress of that ridiculous uni entrance test.  If ever there were 6 (middle/high) years of constant hassle with a particular date, it would be that one.