September 21, 2017, 09:34:15 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353165 times)

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4360 on: September 08, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
I'm too naturally quiet. I can't count the number of times I've accidentally scared somebody who didn't know I was there. I had to purposely make a lot of noise when I went to get kimbap yesterday because both of their backs were turned.

I [unintentionally] scared my mom a lot when I lived at home.  She'd tell me to stop sneaking up on her and I'd tell her she should be used to it already Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I have always had this problem. I move too quietly... apparently. Not entirely sure how. But yeah I can relate
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline wanderlust8

• Adventurer
« Reply #4361 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
The kids were throwing a ball around before class started (one of those soft ones). The windows were open. The ball ended up going out the window. Which wasn't an easy task since there were shades over most of the window. But somehow they managed to throw it at just the right angle that it went out. Did it land on the ground? Nope. Landed on the top of walkway covering thing probably never to be seen again.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Adventurer
« Reply #4362 on: September 08, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »
I only made the 'do you say hello to the bus driver?' thread to see what codswallop DeMartino could come up with.  :cry:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4363 on: September 12, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
I brought out my collection of plastic on my way to work this morning, and an old man applauded me as he walked by. Not sure what the applause was for because a number of reasons can apply, if you really think about it, but, either way, I bowed a little on instinct and that was a good way to start the day.

Too bad work was really quick to ruin it.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4364 on: September 13, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
This is my trash day. I can't decide if I want McDonald's or Papa John's.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4365 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
This is my trash day. I can't decide if I want McDonald's or Papa John's.

The grilled mushroom from McD's gets my vote!

Better than the other "signature" burgers IMHO. I've never had Papa John's though, there may be a pizza-shaped hole in my life and I wouldn't even know it  :sad:

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4366 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
McD apples pies are 1+1 right now I believe ;)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4367 on: September 14, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »
Thanks, I ended up going with McD's because it was cheaper and that was the kind of filth I needed last night.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4368 on: September 14, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
Thanks, I ended up going with McD's because it was cheaper and that was the kind of filth I needed last night.

Nothing beats Costco for hot trash.

I had sushi, a hotdog, clam chowder, pizza, and a zero cola for dinner and it was great.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4369 on: September 14, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
Nothing beats Costco for hot trash.

I had sushi, a hotdog, clam chowder, pizza, and a zero cola for dinner and it was great.

Now I want sushi.

But I haven't been able to find a place around here that serves good sushi. It's all been flavorless, weirdly-textured crap.  :cry:

Haven't tried Costco sushi, though. But I will.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:18:36 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4370 on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »

I love the shrimp burger.  Delicious garbage.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4371 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Now I want sushi.

But I haven't been able to find a place around here that serves good sushi. It's all been flavorless, weirdly-textured crap.  :cry:

Haven't tried Costco sushi, though. But I will.
I'm burdened with an intensely risk-seeking personality, which is why I picked up sushi at the local(ish) e-mart the other day. I was pleasantly surprised when we ate it: not terribly bland, nor overly dried-out. I was pleasantly surprised again the next day when I wasn't doubled over on the floor puking my guts out*. Win-win!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:07:13 PM by kyndo »

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4372 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Since this is the pointless thread...
I work in a school where I teach my own classes. Shedding the coteacher model was the most freeing amazing thing ever! Literally, I teach whatever I want, no one ever asks what I am going to teach, no open classes, etc. However...

My head teacher changed this year (as they are apt to do every so often at this level) and she's the opposite of my last one. Cold, colorless, and essentially odd, almost robotic. My last one was was friendly and generally easy going, though she spoke very little English, but we got on fairly well...we communicated :-*. This one IS an ENGLISH TEACHER and can speak English, but she's massively foreigner awkward (She constantly giggles when I speak Korean, even though I have asked her not to, so I've taken to giggling when she speaks English  :laugh: and that seems to have some effect). So she comes in and acts like we're (the other foreign teacher and I) the new ones lol. She wants put her mark (ex: dog+new fire hydrant=new territory) so I guess she's telling the Korean teachers who come in (for literally 75 seconds) to check heads that they should be more involved or some weird crap, because today one of the teachers I normally get along with starts talking my students while I am trying to get them to write. Basically distracting them >:(. Also, she told a student (who knows she needs to ask me) she can go to the bathroom. I think I am going to pop into one of her classes on one of my many breaks and tell a student they can go to the bathroom and see how she likes the interference :P. Another teacher (who is an English teacher but can't actually speak much English) who comes in completely ignores me when I politely called to her. These are my classes and they know it, so it really setting me on edge today because I have been here several years and this change only started w/ robot boss. ugh.   >:( >:(
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Adventurer
« Reply #4373 on: September 14, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I work in a school where I teach my own classes. Shedding the coteacher model was the most freeing amazing thing ever! Literally, I teach whatever I want, no one ever asks what I am going to teach, no open classes, etc. However...

My head teacher changed this year (as they are apt to do every so often at this level) and she's the opposite of my last one. Cold, colorless, and essentially odd, almost robotic. My last one was was friendly and generally easy going, though she spoke very little English, but we got on fairly well...we communicated :-*. This one IS an ENGLISH TEACHER and can speak English, but she's massively foreigner awkward (She constantly giggles when I speak Korean, even though I have asked her not to, so I've taken to giggling when she speaks English  :laugh: and that seems to have some effect). So she comes in and acts like we're (the other foreign teacher and I) the new ones lol. She wants put her mark (ex: dog+new fire hydrant=new territory) so I guess she's telling the Korean teachers who come in (for literally 75 seconds) to check heads that they should be more involved or some weird crap, because today one of the teachers I normally get along with starts talking my students while I am trying to get them to write. Basically distracting them >:(. Also, she told a student (who knows she needs to ask me) she can go to the bathroom. I think I am going to pop into one of her classes on one of my many breaks and tell a student they can go to the bathroom and see how she likes the interference :P. Another teacher (who is an English teacher but can't actually speak much English) who comes in completely ignores me when I politely called to her. These are my classes and they know it, so it really setting me on edge today because I have been here several years and this change only started w/ robot boss. ugh.   >:( >:(

Hate it when that happens. But that's the lottery we are a part of. Every time March rolls around I pray that there are no changes to the English teachers and VP/P.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4374 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »

Hate it when that happens. But that's the lottery we are a part of. Every time March rolls around I pray that there are no changes to the English teachers and VP/P.
Yeah, but here they sometimes they last five years in the position (semi-private school). My last one was in it for three years. Since this my last year here at this school(my choice), I was kind of hoping to ride out things exactly as they had been...but I know...Korea.  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4375 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »

Yeah, but here they sometimes they last five years in the position (semi-private school). My last one was in it for three years. Since this my last year here at this school(my choice), I was kind of hoping to ride out things exactly as they had been...but I know...Korea.  :cry:

I had a little similar thing.  I'd been working in the same two middle schools for seven years, had lovely co-teachers, was very well thought of in my city and like to work hard.  Then with the cuts they threw me across to two elementary schools.  My main school co-teacher (I suspect she had Aspergers or some kind of social connection problem) was hopeless.   She had no understanding with the students/teachers/VP or P.  Kids messed her around.  She did 10 minutes of me repeating words.  'You stand there! And they repeat after you'. Then 20 minutes writing in their text book.  And then ten minutes or something else.  No games, ever.  Every class was like hell.  As soon as the kids came in, they'd fcuk around.  They paid no attention.  Why should they, her classes were terrible.  They didn't repeat words because it was an awful way to do stuff.  But I wasn't allowed to do anything.  She has glaring errors in her PPTs,  'What is the capital of England?  Rondon.'  She never wanted any help from me, even after I offered many times.  One day, a student screwed up her newspaper and threw it at her.   I bollocked the student and made her apologise to the teacher.  The teacher just stood there.  Then at my other school, I had nothing to do because the young male teacher told me to sit at the back and he did everything on his tv.  He had anger issues too with the students.  When you have experience and you can get the most out of students to take such a step back is horrible.  I managed to engineer my way out of that, after eight months, by getting my old co-teacher to talk to the supervisor about taking the only middle school job in the city.  If I hadn't go that, I'd have no idea what I'd do.  Sympathies!

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4376 on: September 14, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
Thanks! The thing is, I love this job. It has been the sweetest gig I ever had here in the years I have been here but this year there are WAAAYY too many changes this year. Anyway...tomorrow is TGIF!! Wine time!  ;D

I had a little similar thing.  I'd been working in the same two middle schools for seven years, had lovely co-teachers, was very well thought of in my city and like to work hard.  Then with the cuts they threw me across to two elementary schools.  My main school co-teacher (I suspect she had Aspergers or some kind of social connection problem) was hopeless.   She had no understanding with the students/teachers/VP or P.  Kids messed her around.  She did 10 minutes of me repeating words.  'You stand there! And they repeat after you'. Then 20 minutes writing in their text book.  And then ten minutes or something else.  No games, ever.  Every class was like hell.  As soon as the kids came in, they'd fcuk around.  They paid no attention.  Why should they, her classes were terrible.  They didn't repeat words because it was an awful way to do stuff.  But I wasn't allowed to do anything.  She has glaring errors in her PPTs,  'What is the capital of England?  Rondon.'  She never wanted any help from me, even after I offered many times.  One day, a student screwed up her newspaper and threw it at her.   I bollocked the student and made her apologise to the teacher.  The teacher just stood there.  Then at my other school, I had nothing to do because the young male teacher told me to sit at the back and he did everything on his tv.  He had anger issues too with the students.  When you have experience and you can get the most out of students to take such a step back is horrible.  I managed to engineer my way out of that, after eight months, by getting my old co-teacher to talk to the supervisor about taking the only middle school job in the city.  If I hadn't go that, I'd have no idea what I'd do.  Sympathies!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4377 on: September 14, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
My school is getting a new principal and new vp next year and all the teachers are freaking out about it. The rumored new principal is one of those real wannabe masculine type Korean guys. According to people at his current school heís always planning after school activities and dinners, and he loves to drink and encourages others to drink as well. I canít imagine that will go over well here because most teachers here arenít big into drinking.

Our VP is leaving our school to become a principal and I donít understand why she canít stay here and be promoted. Sheís only been here for two years and everyone really likes her. And it would be less stress for her to become a principal in a place with which sheís familiar.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4378 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
Our VP is leaving our school to become a principal and I donít understand why she canít stay here and be promoted. Sheís only been here for two years and everyone really likes her. And it would be less stress for her to become a principal in a place with which sheís familiar.

Less stress you say? We can't have that!

Seriously though, why must the Korean school system shuffle its teachers and staff so regularly? It doesn't keep things fresh, it just assures that everyone gets stressed out when it happens. Which is frequently. I can't even remember how many different principals and vice principals I've taught under in ten years of public school, but it's a number at least four times the number of actual schools I've taught at. Once, I taught at a privately owned public school where the principal, vice principal and teachers didn't have to transfer every so often and the school was much more competently run than most of my other schools.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4379 on: September 14, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »

Less stress you say? We can't have that!

Seriously though, why must the Korean school system shuffle its teachers and staff so regularly? It doesn't keep things fresh, it just assures that everyone gets stressed out when it happens. Which is frequently. I can't even remember how many different principals and vice principals I've taught under in ten years of public school, but it's a number at least four times the number of actual schools I've taught at. Once, I taught at a privately owned public school where the principal, vice principal and teachers didn't have to transfer every so often and the school was much more competently run than most of my other schools.

OMG I was talking about this with one of my Co-ts and I told her that the teachers back home get a job and they stay there. They could move if they want, I suppose, but it's not normal.

She hadn't really thought about it, that's just "the way it's done" here. I told her that being moved every 5 years makes it hard for a teacher to truly care about the school in the long run. This isn't to say that they don't care here, that's clearly not true. They do their job well, obv.

However, if I knew I would be at a completely different school in 5 years, would I REALLY try and make my school the best in my city, my province? It's less likely, that's hard to argue against. What legacy can you leave the institution after 5 years of a 35, 40 year career? If I knew that this was my school as a career, then you'd be damn sure I'd want mine to be the best in Anyang, the best in South Gyeonggi, or what have you, best in the country even.
Imagine teaching your fifth and final year at a school here? Gotta plan for............... what? Nothing. I won't be here, and next year, I might have different books, different shit. And the stress of moving takes a toll. All your love and attention wouldn't be on the kids or the lessons per se, it would be wondering about what's next.

:-* But Kevin, what if the principal is bad?

:police: Well, even so, you have to spend 5 years with a shitty one, let's say, and then? What, hope your next school has a nice one?

Every single one of my principals, at ALL levels, back home were the nicest guys you could meet and were fair and were actively involved in the life of the school, the students. Here? No idea.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment