April 23, 2017, 07:05:49 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 237670 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3600 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »
I hope I can explain this well...

Why do Koreans struggle with writing out numbers?  I mean if it's a large number in the tens or hundreds of thousands, my students and CTs don't seem to know where to place the "comma" that seperates the digits.

I know our counting systems are slightly different (I guess?) and I can understand not knowing how to speak numbers, but isn't writing out a number universal?

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I noticed that they don't ever immediately recognize the value of a large number until they've spent a minute or two "calculating" how to say it in Korean first.

Offline Ajahya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3601 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

Why do Koreans struggle with writing out numbers?  I mean if it's a large number in the tens or hundreds of thousands, my students and CTs don't seem to know where to place the "comma" that seperates the digits.

I know our counting systems are slightly different (I guess?) and I can understand not knowing how to speak numbers, but isn't writing out a number universal?

I see a lot of numbers written dsown in a hybrid way, honestly. 2억  10 만.

I very rarely see 100 000W written down.

Yeah, I was going to say the same. Usually they don't write out the whole number if it's more than 100,000. We would probably do the same in English if our counters were single syllables.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3602 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Haha, Ajahya, can yhou imagine you see a sign for some nice golf clubs?

SALE. Two-thousand four-hundred and ninety nine dollars One thousand six hundred and sixty eight dollars and fifty cents. FIRE SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Chinguetti, this has led to some interesting conversations with co-teachers over the years.

"CO2, your taxes this year are two million and fifty won."

WTF, SERIOUS?

Looks at paper

That's 250 000W. Not two million.

"Ah, sorry."

-------------------------------------

" CO2, your extra pay for the camp will be forty thousand won."

Why bother? Jeez.

Look at paper

That's 400 000W.

"Ah, sorry."

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3603 on: April 21, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
Yesterday I was waiting at the bus stop when a wee old ajumma entered the scene. 

She proceeded to talk at me for like 10 minutes straight.  All I really understood was that everything hurts and she didn't eat breakfast or lunch, but then she started rambling about jjajangmyeon for awhile.  I asked if she was hungry and she just laughed. 

Then an old ajeossi arrived.  I hoped she'd redirect her ramblings.  But he whips out his smart phone and starts blasting trot music.   

I would have felt rude fiddling with my phone so I was literally just nodding my head at seemingly appropriate intervals but making mostly bewildered expressions unless I actually understood something. 

Why do old people like talking at me??  :cry:

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3604 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
I have a cold and am dying for a cold Coke or Dr. Pepper. 

Offline JNM

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3605 on: April 21, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I noticed that they don't ever immediately recognize the value of a large number until they've spent a minute or two "calculating" how to say it in Korean first.

Korean numbers are in groups of 4 digits, English is groups of 3.

I always confused for a few seconds when I see a price tag with 50 man won; first thinking it is about 50 USD, and a great deal, then realizing that it is more than I would be willing to pay.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3606 on: April 21, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
Thinking about going to Vietnam for Chuseok.  Never been and it's on my bucket list.  Love the cuisine though, so I'm already raring to hit up some fine street food.

Do it! SO much tasty food to be eaten. It's almost overwhelming  :laugh:

I would love to pick your brain for recommendations.  I'm wondering if I oughta stick to one city (don't even know which yet!) or bounce around.  Food is my number one priority though sights are a close second  :laugh:

Do it! If you come to saigon drop me a PM and I can take you on a motorbike/food tour :)

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3607 on: April 21, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
Yesterday I was waiting at the bus stop when a wee old ajumma entered the scene. 

She proceeded to talk at me for like 10 minutes straight.  All I really understood was that everything hurts and she didn't eat breakfast or lunch, but then she started rambling about jjajangmyeon for awhile.  I asked if she was hungry and she just laughed. 

Then an old ajeossi arrived.  I hoped she'd redirect her ramblings.  But he whips out his smart phone and starts blasting trot music.   

I would have felt rude fiddling with my phone so I was literally just nodding my head at seemingly appropriate intervals but making mostly bewildered expressions unless I actually understood something. 

Why do old people like talking at me??  :cry:

I don't know what the old dude at my school officially does but he's our general old dude and he does this to me all the time. I'll be chillin in the English room and just working and he'll come in and talk at me. He's nice but I understand like maybe 15% of what he's saying but he seems convinced that I speak perfect Korean. Then I also see him everywhere!!!! He hangs out with other old dudes near the train station so I always run into him and sometimes he takes the same bus as me :'(

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3608 on: April 21, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
Thinking about going to Vietnam for Chuseok.  Never been and it's on my bucket list.  Love the cuisine though, so I'm already raring to hit up some fine street food.

I would love to pick your brain for recommendations.  I'm wondering if I oughta stick to one city (don't even know which yet!) or bounce around.  Food is my number one priority though sights are a close second  :laugh:

Do it! If you come to saigon drop me a PM and I can take you on a motorbike/food tour :)

At the same time?  I knew you were mint!!  :-* Can I add in shaving on the bike too?

Offline What?What?

• Veteran
« Reply #3609 on: April 21, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
I have a cold and am dying for a cold Coke or Dr. Pepper.

It's my go to when I am ill, especially if I have a sore throat. Ice cold coke. So I understand completely. I am terribly ill at the moment, I think I have man flu.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • The octopus has a big clock.
« Reply #3610 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind one day moving from a Korean E-2 visa to an American E-2 visa.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3611 on: April 21, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
Someone play checkers with me cuz I'm bored and done with being productive.

http://skillgames.guru/18016

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3612 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

It says that it is your move...I don't think it works...

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3613 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »

Lol i wasnt paying attention, i finally went

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3614 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »

Man I suck at checkers XD gg

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3615 on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »

We shall try again another day...I am trying to get out of here in the next minute or two...Damn good comeback by the way...

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3616 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
I plan to hibernate as soon as I get home, everyone have a good weekend ~!

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3617 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »

We shall try again another day...I am trying to get out of here in the next minute or two...Damn good comeback by the way...

Lol alright, we'll have to have a rematch, I preemptively assumed defeat but managed to hang in there :P

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3618 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »

At the same time?  I knew you were mint!!  :-* Can I add in shaving on the bike too?

sure thing, you can do anything on a bike here if you put your mind to it

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment