March 26, 2017, 04:33:24 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 211571 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3220 on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Tuesdays are normally my "meh" days, but I'd been riding on only about 6 hours of sleep for the past 2.5 days (my fault), so I was a corpse on Monday and don't remember anything after 6 PM last night.

Best night's sleep I've had since being in Korea, just happy to be alive.

But I forgot the swing I made for my desk teddy. T_T

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3221 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
I mean, it may come here. Moonlight came - which is also not a very locally-flavoured movie.

Had mad award hype though. Good for the cinephile crowd here.
I saw Birdman when it had the award hype. That was awkward. That movie is not a movie that's translatable with subtitles. I've never seen a more confused crowd at a theatre. And it's a bit of a trip, even in English.

Hahahaha, during the H-Job scene in Moonlight, a Korean couple left the theatre and never returned. That was hilarious and awkward for them.

My GF was phoned by her boss during Birdman. She left for 40 MINUTES. After the movie she asked me what she missed.

"Uhhhhhhhh, Michael Keaton was outside in his underwear....... and, F it, we'll watch it again."

Amazing. Yeah. I feel like 80% of western folk would have a hard time getting or enjoying Birdman, and I feel like trying to watch something so bizarre with subs and slightly less cultural context would increase that to about 99%.

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3222 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
Holy Hell! Hahahaha

"Okay everyone, look at the coloured babies!"  says the after school teacher (share's room with me)

Me: Whhaatttttt

There's a section of her textbook called Color Babies. It's about blue and red having a baby and it's purple.

CRISIS AVERTED

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3223 on: March 21, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Two of my boy students informed me that they're dieting.  When I asked why, they simply pointed at their guts.  They're both grade 3 middle schoolers so I wonder if they're anticipating meeting new girls once they get to high school.  Haha

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3224 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
Every time Waygook says "Fetching Preview" when I make a post, I get excited like the website thinks my post is very beautiful.  :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3225 on: March 22, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
Every time Waygook says "Fetching Preview" when I make a post, I get excited like the website thinks my post is very beautiful.  :laugh:
I jam so many fonts-sizes, colours, quotes, hyperlinks, and other formatting into my comments that I usually have to preview what I wrote just to check if it's even comprehensible. Oh, and sometimes I even check the preview to see if what I wrote makes sense.  :smiley:

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3226 on: March 22, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
I jam so many fonts-sizes, colours, quotes, hyperlinks, and other formatting into my comments that I usually have to preview what I wrote just to check if it's even comprehensible. Oh, and sometimes I even check the preview to see if what I wrote makes sense.  :smiley:
^^+10
Bingo. I type really fast and think off the cuff so it's always good to go back and think, "Oi vey, that needs to change." hahaha

Offline flyingspider

• Veteran
« Reply #3227 on: March 22, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
I wish the little ones had lunch earlier than 1:30, because all they do in my class is whine "배고파~~~~~~."

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3228 on: March 22, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
My ears feel slightly strange lately.  Sort of as if the altitude has changed considerably and they need to pop.  Maybe some weird kind of sinus pressure? 

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3229 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
I have nothing to do today. I hope you enjoy the 35 posts I've made today.

God bless you all.

Pet a dog today, or, if no dig is available, pet an ajumma. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3230 on: March 22, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
I have nothing to do today. I hope you enjoy the 35 posts I've made today.
I've only made two or three, but one of them is like 20 paragraphs long and full of math. Enjoy!

My ears feel slightly strange lately.  Sort of as if the altitude has changed considerably and they need to pop.  Maybe some weird kind of sinus pressure? 
It's probably too early to tell, but it sounds like it might be an ear infection. I've learned over the years that lots of sleep is often helpful. Hope it clears up quickly!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:48:47 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3231 on: March 22, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

It's probably too early to tell, but it sounds like it might be an ear infection. I've learned over the years that lots of sleep is often helpful. Hope it clears up quickly!  :smiley:

So..................................CORNY.

He? He? Get it?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3232 on: March 22, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
It was the best I could do: I had very little time to cobble that comment together.

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #3233 on: March 22, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
It was the best I could do: I had very little time to cobble that comment together.

Holy shit, I just got fired!

You have to wear more than tassels to school, it would seem.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3234 on: March 22, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
Holy shit, I just got fired!

You have to wear more than tassels to school, it would seem.
Hahahaha! I bet that caused quite a row! Also, I'm amaized that someone as husky as yourself could bear to wear such a thing -- I hear those things chaff! Anyway, corngratulations: you've earned a kernel of respect from me!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:42:09 PM by kyndo »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3235 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Has anyone mode or used a choose your own adventure game? I'm making one right now, and it's taking so long. Which makes sense given all the options. But whoooo.

I'm not sure how to use it in a big class, I'm just planning on using it in my after school class which has 2-4 people.

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3236 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
Has anyone mode or used a choose your own adventure game? I'm making one right now, and it's taking so long. Which makes sense given all the options. But whoooo.

I'm not sure how to use it in a big class, I'm just planning on using it in my after school class which has 2-4 people.

I haven't made one (though I'd love to) but there's a pretty great one already on waygook that I've used before.  The classes with kids who like video games loved it whereas some classes were "meh" about it. 

http://waygook.org/index.php?topic=83780.0.html

Check out the "Fantasy Adventure" by fwicksteed.  I modified the language a bit for my students but that was all.  It's one of my favorite things that I've found on waygook. 

EDIT:  the classes that loved it would beg to play it multiple times to try every path possible whereas the "meh" classes were satisfied after they successfully completed the adventure once. 

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3237 on: March 23, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
I trusted I'd get over this by now, but it still really wears at me when I hear "waygook" this and "waygook" that, especially from Korean teachers talking between themselves. Like, of the few Korean words I know, you seriously think waygook isn't one of them?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3238 on: March 23, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »

I haven't made one (though I'd love to) but there's a pretty great one already on waygook that I've used before.  The classes with kids who like video games loved it whereas some classes were "meh" about it. 

http://waygook.org/index.php?topic=83780.0.html

Check out the "Fantasy Adventure" by fwicksteed.  I modified the language a bit for my students but that was all.  It's one of my favorite things that I've found on waygook. 

EDIT:  the classes that loved it would beg to play it multiple times to try every path possible whereas the "meh" classes were satisfied after they successfully completed the adventure once.
The one I'm doing is "Can you survive the battle of Hogwarts." It's based on the Buzzfeed thing.

So when you did it for the whole class, how did they all do it together? Rock paper scissors for who got to choose? Or take turns?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3239 on: March 23, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »
I trusted I'd get over this by now, but it still really wears at me when I hear "waygook" this and "waygook" that, especially from Korean teachers talking between themselves. Like, of the few Korean words I know, you seriously think waygook isn't one of them?

Yeah. I can feel that. I had a really irritating experience where this one teacher who wasn't an English teacher was in the room and talking with my coteacher, and assumed that I couldn't understand what she was saying. She repeatedly referred to me as 외국인 instead of like 원어민 or 선생님, which is super disrespectful, and was asking my coteacher if I'm kind to students and if I work hard, while I was literally a few meters away.

My coteacher was visibly uncomfortable, because she knew I was sitting there and listening, but I didn't make a big deal of it. But yeah. Ugh. 

Recent Lesson Plans

Teaching out of a story book: Middle School by oglop
[Yesterday at 12:50:06 PM]

Tabletop games in class by lifeisgood6447
[March 24, 2017, 05:50:41 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment