October 21, 2017, 04:05:08 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 375979 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3200 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
I'm gonna go see the newfangled rendition of Beauty and the Beast.  With these kind of remakes I keep my expectations pretty low with one exception being that I expect fantastic visuals.  Thus, I'm usually pretty satisfied at movie's end.

I'm not a Disney fan, at all. Aside from Alice in Wonderland and The Lion King, I don't think I've ever loved a Disney film.

But coming from that perspective, when I saw the new Jungle Book, I was thoroughly entertained. I didn't love it, but I wasn't looking at my watch, either.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3201 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
Is "monkey" something western people usually call asians to be racist?

My old CT once brought it up when discussing racism with students, but I had never heard it used against Asian people before. I thought it was something used against blacks, but that was her go-to example of a racial insult aimed at Koreans. I just read an article about a Korean guy claiming U.S. airport workers imitated monkeys in order to be racist to them. Is that really much more of a thing than I had realized?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3202 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

My old CT once brought it up when discussing racism with students, but I had never heard it used against Asian people before. I thought it was something used against blacks, but that was her go-to example of a racial insult aimed at Koreans. I just read an article about a Korean guy claiming U.S. airport workers imitated monkeys in order to be racist to them. Is that really much more of a thing than I had realized?

I suppose it's possible but I've never personally heard of "monkey" being used as a pejorative against Koreans.  Definitely wouldn't think of it as a go-to example of a racial insult aimed at Koreans or any other Asian for that matter.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3203 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »

I suppose it's possible but I've never personally heard of "monkey" being used as a pejorative against Koreans.  Definitely wouldn't think of it as a go-to example of a racial insult aimed at Koreans or any other Asian for that matter.

I've heard it at my Korean school quite a bit to refer to the Japanese. I've also had someone double down when I asked about it.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. ďMan, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.Ē
-AP

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3204 on: March 17, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

I've heard it at my Korean school quite a bit to refer to the Japanese. I've also had someone double down when I asked about it.

Sorry, what does that mean, they doubled down?

I've heard it between Japanese and Korean too. It just seems weird that they think it's the American go-to insult towards them as well. They're much more likely to get made fun of by eye pulling or speech imitation. I dont doubt that this guy faced racism at the airport, but the staff imitated monkeys? It's possible but I'm not sure...

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3205 on: March 17, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »

Sorry, what does that mean, they doubled down?

I've heard it between Japanese and Korean too. It just seems weird that they think it's the American go-to insult towards them as well. They're much more likely to get made fun of by eye pulling or speech imitation. I dont doubt that this guy faced racism at the airport, but the staff imitated monkeys? It's possible but I'm not sure...

Maybe not the best choice of words, but basically I said that it was rude and what if they said something like that to you. Then I got the-look at xyz, they look like monkeys.

It seemed like a left-field slur to me.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. ďMan, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.Ē
-AP

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3206 on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »
Approximately one hour until I have a coronarita in my hand  ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3207 on: March 20, 2017, 05:43:54 PM »
Saw the new Beauty and the Beast and it was a jolly good time.  I'd rate it like a 7.5 outta 10. 

Best movie I've seen this year thus far has been "Get Out."  Also really enjoyed John Wick 2, that was a solid action flick. 

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3208 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »
Saw the new Beauty and the Beast and it was a jolly good time.  I'd rate it like a 7.5 outta 10. 

Best movie I've seen this year thus far has been "Get Out."  Also really enjoyed John Wick 2, that was a solid action flick.

I want to see Get Out so bad. Does anyone think that it'll be released here? No release date for Korea on IMDB.

It made a tonne of money but I don't see it as the movie that Korean tastes are clamouring for, 
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3209 on: March 20, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
Right?  Even if it does make it over here, I imagine it might be a very limited release. 

It was excellent.  I was worried that it was going to be overhyped but it exceeded my expectations wonderfully.

Managed to catch it over winter break the day before I returned to Korealand.  Thankfully I remembered it was out.  I'd see it again too.  And might I add that for Peele's first foray into feature length films, I am mightily impressed.  Can't wait for future works! 

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3210 on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
I mean, it may come here. Moonlight came - which is also not a very locally-flavoured movie.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3211 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
I mean, it may come here. Moonlight came - which is also not a very locally-flavoured movie.
It did? I totally missed that!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3212 on: March 20, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »

Fair point.  They may bring Get Out over simply because of box office success. 

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3213 on: March 20, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »

Had mad award hype though. Good for the cinephile crowd here.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3214 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
It did? I totally missed that!

I believe it's still in theatres here!  Least it was last weekend. 

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3215 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

I saw Birdman when it had the award hype. That was awkward. That movie is not a movie that's translatable with subtitles. I've never seen a more confused crowd at a theatre. And it's a bit of a trip, even in English.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3216 on: March 20, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »

I saw Birdman when it had the award hype. That was awkward. That movie is not a movie that's translatable with subtitles. I've never seen a more confused crowd at a theatre. And it's a bit of a trip, even in English.

Hahahaha, during the H-Job scene in Moonlight, a Korean couple left the theatre and never returned. That was hilarious and awkward for them.

My GF was phoned by her boss during Birdman. She left for 40 MINUTES. After the movie she asked me what she missed.

"Uhhhhhhhh, Michael Keaton was outside in his underwear....... and, F it, we'll watch it again."

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3217 on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Tuesdays are normally my "meh" days, but I'd been riding on only about 6 hours of sleep for the past 2.5 days (my fault), so I was a corpse on Monday and don't remember anything after 6 PM last night.

Best night's sleep I've had since being in Korea, just happy to be alive.

But I forgot the swing I made for my desk teddy. T_T

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3218 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »

Hahahaha, during the H-Job scene in Moonlight, a Korean couple left the theatre and never returned. That was hilarious and awkward for them.

My GF was phoned by her boss during Birdman. She left for 40 MINUTES. After the movie she asked me what she missed.

"Uhhhhhhhh, Michael Keaton was outside in his underwear....... and, F it, we'll watch it again."

Amazing. Yeah. I feel like 80% of western folk would have a hard time getting or enjoying Birdman, and I feel like trying to watch something so bizarre with subs and slightly less cultural context would increase that to about 99%.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3219 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
Holy Hell! Hahahaha

"Okay everyone, look at the coloured babies!"  says the after school teacher (share's room with me)

Me: Whhaatttttt

There's a section of her textbook called Color Babies. It's about blue and red having a baby and it's purple.

CRISIS AVERTED

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment