January 22, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 168489 times)

Offline kriztee

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2740 on: January 11, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Brought my friends who were visiting me from Canada to school on Monday to make pancakes with my 5th and 6th graders. Had a good time but now the kids keep asking where my friends are so I tell them they're sleeping (which is true...) and they get all sad. Shouldda forced my friends out of bed so I could have a lovely free talking/gawk at the foreigners class for the last day of winter camp...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2741 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Camp really isn't that bad but I'm just so ready for it to be over. I've been so grumpy lately, mostly because there's a bunch of bs going on in my life but also because it's cold

Speaking of it being cold, I ordered a jacket online a MONTH ago, and it still hasn't come. According to the tracking website it hasn't even arrived in Korea yet. I know I can open a complaint once it hasn't arrived for a month, but honestly I just want my jacket to come more than I want the money back. If I could shop for a better jacket here, I would, but my arms are just too big for even a lot of men's jackets

:evil: :evil: :evil: grump

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2742 on: January 11, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
Camp isn't too bad for me, either, this time around but it's still a smash-my-head-repeatedly-into-the-keyboard kind of day. :undecided:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2743 on: January 11, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
Tomorrow I'm doing an activity with them that I'm even more anxious about because it requires even more creativity than the past activities.

But that's how I planned it. To gradually go from activities that require the least amount of creativity to the most. I've been working them up to more spontaneous, creative speaking.

But I'm still nervous lol

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2744 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Tomorrow I'm doing an activity with them that I'm even more anxious about because it requires even more creativity than the past activities.

But that's how I planned it. To gradually go from activities that require the least amount of creativity to the most. I've been working them up to more spontaneous, creative speaking.

I am starting to think your first name is actually Nellie...

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #2745 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »
 :smiley: I have almost finished the last day of desk warming! (until Feb)
 :sad: I get my tonsils out on Friday

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2746 on: January 11, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »

Hur hur  :P

I used to wonder why I was so anxious and what was wrong with me. Then my dad told me that in his younger days, he would actually break out in hives before going to court (he was a lawyer) and had a prescription for Valium. My brother is also deeply anxious.

It runs in the family lol

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2747 on: January 11, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
I think I have a Coupang problem now. Made another order-- had to get some tomato paste to make this chili mix. In order to get the free rocket delivery, I threw in some salsa and chips as well. Half are original flavor and the other beef fajita. Not sure how the latter's gonna turn out but both have great ratings! Excited~

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2748 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
I think I have a Coupang problem now. Made another order-- had to get some tomato paste to make this chili mix. In order to get the free rocket delivery, I threw in some salsa and chips as well. Half are original flavor and the other beef fajita. Not sure how the latter's gonna turn out but both have great ratings! Excited~

Why not just buy tomato paste (puree) from costco?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2749 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

I used to wonder why I was so anxious and what was wrong with me. Then my dad told me that in his younger days, he would actually break out in hives before going to court (he was a lawyer) and had a prescription for Valium. My brother is also deeply anxious.

My sister used to be like that. I am sure you're over thinking a lot of the stuff. As long as the kids are having fun, and they are learning something and practicing, it will be fine. I will say, I am glad you got the reference, or at least I am assuming you did.  :P

Offline yirj17

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2750 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »

Why not just buy tomato paste (puree) from costco?

If you mean a physical store, the nearest one I know of is like 5 hours away. If you mean online, I just haven't tried shopping there yet (would you need a membership card just to shop online? Or be able to just sans discount?). I gave Coupang a shot cause I kept hearing about it and found enough stuff to get free shipping each time. They also don't charge me extra fees for being super rural so long as I buy enough to get free shipping, whereas some places do regardless of "free" shipping.

Also, chef boyardee's and chunky's. Hahaha

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2751 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »

My sister used to be like that. I am sure you're over thinking a lot of the stuff. As long as the kids are having fun, and they are learning something and practicing, it will be fine. I will say, I am glad you got the reference, or at least I am assuming you did.  :P

It did take me a minute, lol. I was like... do you think I'm someone you know irl?

As usual, it went (fairly) well. The kids were a little like oh noo this sounds hard but since they're good students they took a crack at it and they did well! Good practice for them doing some semi-spontaneous speaking, which they get so little of in class.

Tomorrow is the last day, so for once I'm not worried about it. They're just continuing to work on a project they started yesterday and then we're having a pizza party  :cheesy:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2752 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Someone brought in mini croissants this morning and the VP was calling me over, and then the Head Teacher, but I didn't realize it for a good minute because they were using my first name and not my last name, like nearly everyone else

:laugh:

I'm really Korean now

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2753 on: January 13, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
Last day of camp and we ended up using the whole entire camp time letting the kids finish up their travel pamphlets. I was letting them use their phones to look up things like pictures, more info on locations, etc, and one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"

:huh:  :shocked: :cry: :blank:

Offline What?What?

• Veteran
« Reply #2754 on: January 13, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
Due to random, baffling circumstances I had to apply to EPIK again. So here I sit constantly clicking refresh on my email, waiting for that one email that says, "hey yeah, you have a job". I have been hitting refresh every day since Monday, when all the newbies on the official EPIK FB page started excitedly announcing their provincial placements... ahh the sweet joy of the newbies, such innocence and excitement  :blank:.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2755 on: January 13, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
Last day of camp and we ended up using the whole entire camp time letting the kids finish up their travel pamphlets. I was letting them use their phones to look up things like pictures, more info on locations, etc, and one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"

Wonder what the first is

Offline Dave Stepz

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2756 on: January 13, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »

Wonder what the first is

Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge apparently

Actually, there has been numerous documentaries about a guy called Chen Si who has patrolled the bridge for 11 years trying to help the people who want to commit suicide even allow them to stay in his spare room to help get them back on their feet.  To date, he has saved 300 people.  Cool find!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3901250/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:49:14 PM by Dave Stepz »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2757 on: January 13, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"
Wonder what the first is
Top foursuicide spots in the world (book your slot today!)

#1: Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge, Nanjing, China classical architecture, more than 2,000 suicides from 1968 to 2006.

#2 Golden Gate Bridge, California, United States a cultural icon of the West Coast, more than 1,500 suicides.

#3 Prince Edward Viaduct, Ontario, Canada 492 suicides committed before the Luminous Veil was constructed, a barrier of 9,000 steel rods. A beautiful tourist spot with a catchy nickname: "a magnet of suicide"!

#4 Aokigahara forest, Mount Fuji, Japan up to 105 suicides a year. Hard to pronounce, hard to get to, but with an ambience to die for!

I should start a tour company.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:31:50 PM by kyndo »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2758 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
#4 Aokigahara forest, Mount Fuji, Japan up to 105 suicides a year. Hard to pronounce, hard to get to, but with an ambience to die for!

I went to Tokyo a while back in my exploring days.  Took a bus to Kawaguchiko to have a look at Mount Fuji.  Whilst there, I took a bus to Narusawa-hyoketsu Ice caves, without much thought.  After seeing the caves, I took a massive walk through a forest, which was this suicide one.. without knowing it  :laugh: Didn't see no dead bodies, mind..... or maybe......

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2759 on: January 13, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
In the next class, a student wrote about Niagara Falls: "You don't diving here. If you diving here, you die maybe..."

:huh:

These kids  :laugh:

Recent Lesson Plans

finally, a writing game by maximmm
[Yesterday at 05:02:10 PM]

Harry Potter Adventure RPG! by kleinkay
[January 20, 2017, 05:19:50 PM]

Camp Index - COMPLETE by Randleman
[January 20, 2017, 04:49:31 PM]

Back to School Worksheets and Powerpoints by hpoole
[January 20, 2017, 04:33:03 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade