September 20, 2017, 12:28:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351367 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #920 on: June 18, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
Went to the school gym to catch some Zs before going home today. I was laying on the stage with my legs dangled off the front. I wake up and realize it's 4:40. I jump to the floor to gtfo of there, but I didn't realize how asleep my legs were. So I basically just collapsed onto the ground. I had to just chill there for an another two minutes while my legs came back to life. Even then, walking down the stairs to my office was a chore.

Happy weekend everyone  :cheesy:

;D

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #921 on: June 18, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
There was an amusing story in the news a few months back about a dude sneaking into the Ministry of Truth to change his civil service exam results from a fail to a pass or something. The details are irrelevant.

What is relevant is how he was lauded as some sort of master thief... until they asked him how he got all the door codes, and computer passwords... I think you can fill in the rest yourself.

Haaaah, I remember this ~! xD

Chinguetti: I just thought of something. Going to send you a PM.

Nice, thank you. c:

Now, I know this could be observational science, but I'm still picturing scientists setting up a hornet fight club.  :laugh:

Scientists only need one excuse to do ANYTHING -- because "science".

More than once!

Good science requires replication.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #922 on: June 18, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
Pierce Brosnan is the worst James Bond ever.
Who do you consider the best?  I waver between Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.

Daniel Craig?! I'm sorry, I know this is subjective, but are you insane?! Who's third on your list? Timothy Dalton? Craig is easily the worst Bond. His films have been garbage. I mean, I applaud the film makers for trying a different angle, but Craig has been awful as Bond.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #923 on: June 18, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »

Hard to say, I'm not a James Bond fan in general. I just know who I like the least. xD But if I had to pick, it would be Sean for the classic Bond. He's the least cheesy? xD As for Craig, I like him as an actor, period, and I appreciate how he portrays a reinvented Bond. I prefer the grittiness to the old cheese. But you'll have to take that opinion with a grain of salt because I would marry that man if I could.

More than once!

Good science requires replication.

ofc, it wouldn't be fair unless we could all join in on the fun.

Daniel Craig?! I'm sorry, I know this is subjective, but are you insane?! Who's third on your list? Timothy Dalton? Craig is easily the worst Bond. His films have been garbage. I mean, I applaud the film makers for trying a different angle, but Craig has been awful as Bond.

No, Pierce Brosnan is the worst Bond. 38<
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:03:26 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #924 on: June 22, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
The 5th grade class next to me as a 60 year old man as a guest and he has a presentation on the TV that says "Do you know?" and a map of Japan, the East Sea and Korea on it.

What do you think it's about?  :rolleyes:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #925 on: June 22, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
The 5th grade class next to me as a 60 year old man as a guest and he has a presentation on the TV that says "Do you know?" and a map of Japan, the East Sea and Korea on it.

Do you know Takeshima?  :smiley:

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #926 on: June 22, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »

Are guys talking about the Liancourt Rocks?

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #927 on: June 22, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »

I really hate how history is taught in South Korea. It's not so much taught as actual history, but a story (based on history) that highlights or completely fabricates the Korean triumphs while ignoring or outright denying anything negative. Of course, when they can't deny the negatives, such as the colonial period under Japan, they take it in the other direction and play the victim card as much as they can, to the point where one could be forgiven for thinking Korea was the only country ever colonized and what happened during that time was worse than anything imaginable.

In regards to the Sea of Japan nonsense, Sea of Japan, Oriental Sea, and Korean Sea were all used historically and interchangeably; there was no standard. Then the South Korean government comes along in the early 1990s and insists everyone use a name with no historical meaning to anyone outside of Korea. They launch these ridiculous campaigns in schools, lying to students about the issue and claiming "East Sea" was the originally recognized name for the Sea of Japan. Then, when people refuse to acknowledge these lies, there's always someone who throws a tantrum over it--because, you know, facts be damned. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #928 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

Hmmm... Those are the rocks way out east that are too small to be worth naming in any single language, much less having three distinctly different names?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #929 on: June 23, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
One of my students is moving to Seoul this month and in the same school there's a new student who came from Seoul.

I mean of all the places to go... an island that doesn't even have a bridge to the mainland yet?? He seems like a decent lad upon first impression so it doesn't appear that he was a "problem child" that got dumped in rural land. Maybe it's because of the small class sizes? I'm pretty curious.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #930 on: June 23, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
One of my students is moving to Seoul this month and in the same school there's a new student who came from Seoul.

I mean of all the places to go... an island that doesn't even have a bridge to the mainland yet?? He seems like a decent lad upon first impression so it doesn't appear that he was a "problem child" that got dumped in rural land. Maybe it's because of the small class sizes? I'm pretty curious.
Is it a high school? It's fairly common for mildly smart kids to transfer from larger cities to rural high schools so that they can be the top student at their school. It looks good on their resumes and university applications.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #931 on: June 23, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »

Is it a high school? It's fairly common for mildly smart kids to transfer from larger cities to rural high schools so that they can be the top student at their school. It looks good on their resumes and university applications.

Middle school, actually. Maybe that's the eventual plan, though? Interesting

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »
There are so few people in the office today. 1/3 are out sick and 1/3 are on business trips.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #933 on: June 24, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
I need to use the restroom, but I keep thinking to myself, "Is it really worth getting up for? Like right now?"

I've got a hard case of the Friday Lazies.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #934 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
My morning workout was more intense than usual and I'm having a hard time coming down from that. It's not even that warm right now but I feel like I'm trapped in a car with the windows rolled up.

BoredPanda is my new best friend.

I love my new coffee mug. I'm the only one who does, apparently.

No one has said anything about my socks. I think I just might get away with it.

I'm having trouble focusing on work today.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #935 on: June 29, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
A doggo ain't nothin' but a big ol' pupper.

Offline nermal

• Veteran
« Reply #936 on: June 29, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
It's weird not seeing any nomadicmadda posts.

No, I don't have a crush on nomadicmadda!!  :huh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #937 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »

It's fine. She's gorgeous. We understand.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #938 on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »

Where'd she go?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #939 on: June 29, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
I'm conducting speaking tests right now and all of the kids have come to realize that their grade goes up 5 points for every mark I make on the grading sheet, and they're especially attentive to how often I move my pencil since I refuse to tell them what their scores are after the fact.

So I've started trolling a bunch of them by only making one or two marks during the tests (and only finishing the marking and grading once they've left the room).

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment