November 19, 2017, 02:53:37 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402512 times)

Online kyndo

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #900 on: June 17, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
Just don't make a dead student prop  :laugh:
But how else would you keep them out of the teacher's office while putting together the midterm/final exam papers?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #901 on: June 17, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
Site's not getting flooded, which is nice since this is my **** around day. I usually keep about 10 tabs open for these days and I like to bounce in and out of this site without the site servers telling me to gtfo.

Thinking about getting a professional pedicure, never had one before and think it'll be nice, but at the same time I'm not really sure how I'll manage someone handling my feet. I have a thing about it. Maybe I'll just do the Dr. Fish thing again. That was nice.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #902 on: June 17, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
Thought I had lost the back of my earring on my way to work today. Just discovered it tucked inside my bra. No idea how that happened.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #903 on: June 17, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
Why must time pass so s l o w l y when I'm counting down to summer vacation?

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #904 on: June 17, 2016, 01:37:44 PM »
Just found out I was a cool/bad teacher but now I'm a nark . Most days I go for a stroll in the area during my lunch hour. Clears my head and it's a bit of much needed mild exercise. There is a CU that I pass often and I regulatory see some of my dumber 6th graders and their bikes having an ice-cream or whatnot. We chat, we joke and we part ways. Sometimes I play with one of their bikes. It's helped me build a rapport with them.

Turns out they are not supposed to leave school during lunchtime. Ever. So a casual chat with a co-teacher has resulted into those kids being hauled over the coals by their homeroom teacher. Probably didn't help when she asked me when I first saw them there and I said "April".

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #905 on: June 17, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
Sticking a pencil or pen behind your ear just isn't a thing here. It confuses most Koreans. Many of my students look at me strangely whenever I do it, and a few of them have even pointed it out to me as if they were pointing out that I've got food on my face or something -- like somehow it was just by some strange and freaky accident that I ended up with a pencil or pen resting on my ear. And it BLOWS their minds when they learn I did it on purpose.

They can never get around the idea that it's just a convenient place to stick a pen when not using it.

One of my coTs knows and understands that it's a common western practice, but for some reason she has it in her head that it's some kind of tired fashion statement (and therefore tacky). Like, no, it's not a fashion statement, wtf. xD Why would that EVER be a fashion statement?

I think Ima be a rebel and do it more often, and I'll try to find/make the gaudiest pens possible to do it with.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:15:40 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #906 on: June 17, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
How do the people who stick menus on my apartment door know the entrance code to the building?

Delivery people too.

Where are they all getting the entrance code from?
My friend pointed out to me that mine is written on the side of the door in permanent marker.  Hers is too.  I haven't checked other buildings but maybe everyone's is.  Cuz I've wondered the same thing.

Someone had done the same thing at my place a couple of months back, but then I'm guessing the landlord finally noticed it about a week back and removed it.

There was an amusing story in the news a few months back about a dude sneaking into the Ministry of Truth to change his civil service exam results from a fail to a pass or something. The details are irrelevant.

What is relevant is how he was lauded as some sort of master thief... until they asked him how he got all the door codes, and computer passwords... I think you can fill in the rest yourself.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #907 on: June 17, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »
Site's not getting flooded, which is nice since this is my **** around day. I usually keep about 10 tabs open for these days and I like to bounce in and out of this site without the site servers telling me to gtfo.

Thinking about getting a professional pedicure, never had one before and think it'll be nice, but at the same time I'm not really sure how I'll manage someone handling my feet. I have a thing about it. Maybe I'll just do the Dr. Fish thing again. That was nice.

Chinguetti: I just thought of something. Going to send you a PM.

As for my Friday rambling. One more hour until I can go home, and all I am thinking is if I can successfully sneak out in 50 minutes instead.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #908 on: June 17, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
Anyone been to Daebudo? Anything I must see there?

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Just 2 more god damn months of sitting at my desk bored out of my skull
why is time moving so sloooowwwlllyyyyy

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #910 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »
Thought I had lost the back of my earring on my way to work today. Just discovered it tucked inside my bra. No idea how that happened.
Same!  Maybe mine's in there too.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #911 on: June 17, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
There was an amusing story in the news a few months back about a dude sneaking into the Ministry of Truth to change his civil service exam results from a fail to a pass or something. The details are irrelevant.

What is relevant is how he was lauded as some sort of master thief... until they asked him how he got all the door codes, and computer passwords... I think you can fill in the rest yourself.
And if I can't, I'm sure that some helpful soul will write it down for me.  :smiley:

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #912 on: June 17, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
Can someone tell me what the giant skinny hornet death-bugs are which keep flying into the classroom? Are they dangerous. Waiting for Australians to tell me that's a mozzie mate.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #913 on: June 17, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
There are regular wasps in Korea that just hurt a lot when they sting you, and there are the huge hornets that are legitimately dangerous (장수말벌). The family member of one of my co-teachers died after being stung by the big ones. It triggered a heart attack that killed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

The venom contains a neurotoxin called mandaratoxin,[8] a single-chain polypeptide with a molecular weight around 20 kD,[8] which can be lethal even to people who are not allergic if the dose is sufficient (i.e., if multiple stings are received; a single wasp cannot inject a lethal dose). However, if the victim is allergic to the venom, this greatly increases the risk of death.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:25:42 PM by Aqvm »

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #914 on: June 17, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
Bloody hell. Those are the ones that go to war with bees and the bees cook them alive. Nature man.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #915 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
There are regular wasps in Korea that just hurt a lot when they sting you, and there are the huge hornets that are legitimately dangerous (장수말벌). The family member of one of my co-teachers died after being stung by the big ones. It triggered a heart attack killed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

They're pretty scary, but further on in that Wiki article I saw this: "Lastly, fights between these hornets, Rhomborrhina japonica, Neopegoschkevitschii species, and Lethe sicelis were observed, and once more V. mandarinia was the most dominant species. In 57 separate fights, one loss was observed to Neopegoschkevitschii, giving V. mandarinia a win rate of 98.3%."

Now, I know this could be observational science, but I'm still picturing scientists setting up a hornet fight club.  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #916 on: June 17, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »

Haaaah, I remember this ~! xD

Chinguetti: I just thought of something. Going to send you a PM.

Nice, thank you. c:

Now, I know this could be observational science, but I'm still picturing scientists setting up a hornet fight club.  :laugh:

Scientists only need one excuse to do ANYTHING -- because "science".

Offline nermal

• Veteran
« Reply #917 on: June 17, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
Went to the school gym to catch some Zs before going home today. I was laying on the stage with my legs dangled off the front. I wake up and realize it's 4:40. I jump to the floor to gtfo of there, but I didn't realize how asleep my legs were. So I basically just collapsed onto the ground. I had to just chill there for an another two minutes while my legs came back to life. Even then, walking down the stairs to my office was a chore.

Happy weekend everyone  :cheesy:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #918 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Pierce Brosnan is the worst James Bond ever.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #919 on: June 17, 2016, 07:53:36 PM »
Pierce Brosnan is the worst James Bond ever.
Who do you consider the best?  I waver between Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.