September 20, 2017, 12:39:02 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351376 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #760 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:46 AM »
Almost Friday~

Yesterday my travel coT told me that one of the periods today would be an open class, but she didn't remember which grade because the schedule would be different.

Today she still doesn't know yet, lol. But since it's my travel school, apparently I don't need to do anything and essentially get a free period while she fully teaches the class solo. It's just going to be a surprise as to when I get extra free time! Hahah.

Also, apparently she's newly pregnant... so if I renew, not sure what's gonna happen if she goes on leave. Like would there be a substitute/temporary coT in her stead?? Curious

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #761 on: May 12, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
Tomorrow is Friday. It is also my last day and despite all the horror of last year I am still going to miss my life in Korea. After changing schools this year I am far less stressed and angry and as a result and have started realising again why I loved Jeju and why I never wanted to leave. So the prospect of leaving is a lot harder than it was but I am still completely over EPIK. The flawed system, the incomprehensible lack of logic and overall the lack of anything more means I no longer have the patience for this job. The kids are great (well most of them) but no matter how hard I try I will never make a meaningful impact and having an easy job is not particularly fulfilling.
Ah well I have 3 weeks to enjoy the early summer and make as many Jeju memories as I can. Though coming back to the international schools is also an option I am considering once I have done my PGCE.
5 and half years with EPIK and it's time for more... it was time for more at least a year ago though to be fair.
Now I can look forward to 5 months of unemployment, writing my dissertation and desperately applying for PGCE place back in the UK. Oh and not wasting so much of my days on this site. I have learned much from here, but the overall negativity of this site will no longer colour my days because I won't be sitting at a desk with very little work to do and looking for an excuse to put off my studies.

I hope that those of you who enjoy Korea continue to enjoy it and don't feel the need to justify how you feel, and those of you who don't,  I hope you move on and find something better for you and that you don't feel the need to discount other peoples positive experiences in Korea!

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #762 on: May 12, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »

Also, apparently she's newly pregnant... so if I renew, not sure what's gonna happen if she goes on leave. Like would there be a substitute/temporary coT in her stead?? Curious
My original CT who I never met was on pregnancy leave with I arrived in this country.  I had a substitute.  In February they got rid of her and got a new substitute for like 2 weeks.. great idea.  Now there's a new permanent position CT.  I think the one I never met may have had her position cut because I don't think she's coming back.

sarahsliz

« Reply #763 on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
When my CT was out during her pregnancy (for medical reasons) there ended up being 2 different subs (both of whom were much better than the permanent CT).  I was sorry to see them go.  Eventually the perm CT came back for a bit, then went on actual maternity, then chose not to come back.  Was surprised the subs (both of whom were older) were such supportive CT's and were also really good at classroom management, so it's really too bad they couldn't stay permanently..

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #764 on: May 12, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »

My original CT who I never met was on pregnancy leave with I arrived in this country.  I had a substitute.  In February they got rid of her and got a new substitute for like 2 weeks.. great idea.  Now there's a new permanent position CT.  I think the one I never met may have had her position cut because I don't think she's coming back.

My CT had early mat-leave because of some problems. A new teacher is substituting for her (I hate the new one BTW), but for whatever reason, something to do with contracts and whateverwhatever, my original CT will be returning for two weeks to a month in June or July and then go back on mat leave. What? Okay. Sure.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #765 on: May 12, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »
Who doesn't have to go to work tomorrow not me

So you are going?
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #766 on: May 12, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
I have to work tomorrow, too... why, do a lot of teachers get off on Teacher's Day?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #767 on: May 12, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »
Sometimes all 4 of my schools get together to duke it out over volleyball. Who do I cheer for? Lol

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #768 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »
I didn't realise people were off tomorrow! I have to come in but have no classes for some reason

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #769 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
I didn't realise people were off tomorrow! I have to come in but have no classes for some reason

Same! Now I'm jealous but oh well ;D :sad: :azn:

Unrelated: I wish my school would restock the black coffee sticks. All we have are the Maxim coffee-flavored sugar packets.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #770 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:29 PM »

Same! Now I'm jealous but oh well ;D :sad: :azn:

Unrelated: I wish my school would restock the black coffee sticks. All we have are the Maxim coffee-flavored sugar packets.
Yirg,

How much do you kick-in monthly for the snack/drink budget?

Find out who makes the purchases and simply request for them to get the stuff that you like.

The purser for our snack budget always asks, but I always only request water.

I'm sure they would hook you up.

That said, if you haven't been contributing, now would be a good time to start.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #771 on: May 12, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
I have to work tomorrow, too... why, do a lot of teachers get off on Teacher's Day?

It isn't teachers day, it's Buddha's Birthday on sat, and a lot of schools have tomorrow off because of it. Everyone else I know in my town has tomorrow off

Oh, sorry -- I thought it was Teacher's Day because my coteacher said my school was having a Teacher's Day ceremony during first period tomorrow, so I just made an assumption. xP

Bet tomorrow will be really pretty, too. ;c

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #772 on: May 13, 2016, 03:52:55 AM »

It isn't teachers day, it's Buddha's Birthday on sat, and a lot of schools have tomorrow off because of it. Everyone else I know in my town has tomorrow off

Oh, sorry -- I thought it was Teacher's Day because my coteacher said my school was having a Teacher's Day ceremony during first period tomorrow, so I just made an assumption. xP

Bet tomorrow will be really pretty, too. ;c

Oh yea it's teachers day on Sunday I didn't even realize.

How pointless is Teachers' Day? Koreans treat teachers like shit.

Offline heropon

• Explorer
« Reply #773 on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
*Sigh* My other school has a picnic today, and I have to teach at today's school.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #774 on: May 13, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
Sometimes I get paranoid that my co-teacher is going to look over my shoulder, see that I'm on Waygook, remember the website, and somehow find my username and read all my posts, even though I log out every day and she really isn't good in English.  So I'm always sure to hide the top part of the page that says Waygook.

But just now she asked me how to type a plus sign on her keyboard.  I hit the shift and +/= key and her mind was blown.  She even clapped and asked me to teach her what I just did.  So I'm fairly certain she's not going to be able to find all my posts.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #775 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
Sometimes I get paranoid that my co-teacher is going to look over my shoulder, see that I'm on Waygook, remember the website, and somehow find my username and read all my posts, even though I log out every day and she really isn't good in English.  So I'm always sure to hide the top part of the page that says Waygook.

But just now she asked me how to type a plus sign on her keyboard.  I hit the shift and +/= key and her mind was blown.  She even clapped and asked me to teach her what I just did.  So I'm fairly certain she's not going to be able to find all my posts.

I showed my old co teacher how to use the print screen button and she acted like I was a genius. She made me show 5 other teachers at the school  :lipsrsealed:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #776 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
So I'm always sure to hide the top part of the page that says Waygook.

Same here  ;D ;D

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #777 on: May 13, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
The funny thing about being in ketosis (having gone the last week and a half eating a low-carb diet of leafy greens, green onions, hot peppers, mushroom, chicken, fish, blueberries, lemons, tea, water and spices), is that the brain doesn't get a lot of carbs except for some the body makes for itself from stored fat (I've lost 7kg), so my thinking isn't always up to speed, and... I can't worry! I mean, I physically can't worry. There have been a couple of things that have been worrying me this year, causing me stress and hours of thinking in circles, but now, in ketosis, I can't seem to FEEL worried nor can think much about what has been worrying me. I TRY to, but I just stop doing it each time. It's like my brain doesn't want to exert the effort!  ;D It's like I'm at war with my brain. It has a mind of its own. Ten days of no worrying, no reading of novels, no chess games online. I just can't seem to interest myself in doing those activities even though I start out each time wanting to!

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #778 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »
The funny thing about being in ketosis (having gone the last week and a half eating a low-carb diet of leafy greens, green onions, hot peppers, mushroom, chicken, fish, blueberries, lemons, tea, water and spices), is that the brain doesn't get a lot of carbs except for some the body makes for itself from stored fat (I've lost 7kg), so my thinking isn't always up to speed, and... I can't worry! I mean, I physically can't worry. There have been a couple of things that have been worrying me this year, causing me stress and hours of thinking in circles, but now, in ketosis, I can't seem to FEEL worried nor can think much about what has been worrying me. I TRY to, but I just stop doing it each time. It's like my brain doesn't want to exert the effort!  ;D It's like I'm at war with my brain. It has a mind of its own. Ten days of no worrying, no reading of novels, no chess games online. I just can't seem to interest myself in doing those activities even though I start out each time wanting to!
So how have you been occupying your time?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #779 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
I'm really considering getting a dog. I keep saying I want a dog so bad I've found a dog that may suit my lifestyle (aka being at work all day) and is already fixed, vaccinated and such. And there is no adoption fee for her. But I'm just not sure. There are a lot of things to consider. Maybe I should just stick to visiting dog cafes... :/

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment