November 19, 2017, 11:54:13 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402779 times)

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #700 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
I'm amazed sometimes at how quickly fashion trends spread here. 
It's like one day i'll see a few guys around my town wearing striped shirts, and then the next weekend I go to Seoul and  i'll see 2,000 other people wearing them as well. 
The "in" thing now for women seems to be black, shiny shoes..they kind of look like a casual dress shoe. Theyre worn with no socks/or very low cut socks.  (i can't tell exactly, but i can't see socks)  Anyone else notice this?

I would say that back home, people usually hate the idea of someone wearing the same item of clothing that they have on, but they seem to be cool with it here.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #701 on: April 19, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm amazed sometimes at how quickly fashion trends spread here. 
It's like one day i'll see a few guys around my town wearing striped shirts, and then the next weekend I go to Seoul and  i'll see 2,000 other people wearing them as well. 
The "in" thing now for women seems to be black, shiny shoes..they kind of look like a casual dress shoe. Theyre worn with no socks/or very low cut socks.  (i can't tell exactly, but i can't see socks)  Anyone else notice this?

I would say that back home, people usually hate the idea of someone wearing the same item of clothing that they have on, but they seem to be cool with it here.

LOL in Korea they probably look at you wierd if you don't follow the crowd. Having said that, I own a pair of the shoes you mentioned. :lipsrsealed: Not because I'm trying to follow the trend, but it's actually one of the few things that seems to be trendy here that I actually like. :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #702 on: April 19, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »
Yup individualism vs collectivism. I look Korean and could blend in better if I wore the styles of clothing here. But I just wear whatever I brought from back home. I'm not the biggest fan of the fashions here though on occasion I do find an article of clothing I like.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #703 on: April 19, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
Is it OK to be totally unfair and like a class more than the others. Not on any objective basis. For some reason I can't fathom I like the worst of my grade 6 classes the best.

They are loud, borderline incapable of silencing their inner monologues and, to be brutally honest, thick as two short planks. Nailed together. Then smothered in glue. Then added to a dozen more thick short planks.

But somehow I love them and look forward to their class. It's like trying to herd a bunch of seagulls on cocaine in an earthquake during a hurricane but it always lifts my spirits. And they know it. Windowlickers they may be but they are aware that other classes have to knuckle down and show some discipline and common sense. Not this lot. As long as everybody walks out alive I'm good with it. I think other teachers fell the same way.

Bless the little toerags.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #704 on: April 19, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
Is it OK to be totally unfair and like a class more than the others. Not on any objective basis. For some reason I can't fathom I like the worst of my grade 6 classes the best.

They are loud, borderline incapable of silencing their inner monologues and, to be brutally honest, thick as two short planks. Nailed together. Then smothered in glue. Then added to a dozen more thick short planks.

But somehow I love them and look forward to their class. It's like trying to herd a bunch of seagulls on cocaine in an earthquake during a hurricane but it always lifts my spirits. And they know it. Windowlickers they may be but they are aware that other classes have to knuckle down and show some discipline and common sense. Not this lot. As long as everybody walks out alive I'm good with it. I think other teachers fell the same way.

I had a class like that last semester, "couldn't find water in a rainstorm" kind of bunch. At first I tried to corral them, but of course without help from the co-t it didn't go anywhere. Once me and everyone else was on the "zero f*cks" level things got a lot better. Their behavior continued as before but I just had fun with them. I still attempted to do a lesson but if it got turned upside down I just went with the flow. They even started speaking (albeit really awful) English by the end of the year.

I should've hated them but they were terrible in such an innocent way that I couldn't help but like them.

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »

I had a class like that last semester, "couldn't find water in a rainstorm" kind of bunch. At first I tried to corral them, but of course without help from the co-t it didn't go anywhere. Once me and everyone else was on the "zero f*cks" level things got a lot better. Their behavior continued as before but I just had fun with them. I still attempted to do a lesson but if it got turned upside down I just went with the flow. They even started speaking (albeit really awful) English by the end of the year.

I should've hated them but they were terrible in such an innocent way that I couldn't help but like them.

I had one like this last year, 1st grade middle. Biggest level gap I've ever seen, from kids who'd lived in America to special needs kids. For some reason a handful of the boys could not answer questions without shouting at the top of their lungs. (They also could only blurt out the answers, never wait to be called on.) Some of them had so much energy that my co-teacher and I literally let them walk around / stand in the back of class to burn it off. While that may have disrupted the class a bit, it would've been much more disruptive to make them sit. One of the kids would usually come up to the front of class when the bell rang, stand next to me, and tell everyone to "S*IT DOWN PLEASE!" Class never went according to plan, we were constantly sidetracked, and everything took longer than it should have.

It was the most chaotic but hilarious thing I've ever experienced. They were definitely my faves. :laugh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #706 on: April 20, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
First open class today, here we go! I've been informed there might be one grandparent in attendance. Lol

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #707 on: April 20, 2016, 08:31:04 AM »
First open class today, here we go! I've been informed there might be one grandparent in attendance. Lol

Good luck, you will be fine  ;D I also have open class today.

As much as I like this thread (it's generally so pleasant), it kills me a little bit inside every time I see it and it isn't Friday  :laugh:
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #708 on: April 20, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »

As much as I like this thread (it's generally so pleasant), it kills me a little bit inside every time I see it and it isn't Friday  :laugh:

Apparently open class today meant that parents just wander the school and drop in on any class they feel like observing. I only saw one observer and she just sat in for a hot second while we were introducing the lesson so she didn't see anything interesting. Which is too bad, cause the kids loved the main activity: musical chairs! They all got really into it and wanted to play it twice even though the slides were all the same, hahah.

And right? I wish it were Friday! But I was wishing that since Monday

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #709 on: April 20, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »

Apparently open class today meant that parents just wander the school and drop in on any class they feel like observing. I only saw one observer and she just sat in for a hot second while we were introducing the lesson so she didn't see anything interesting. Which is too bad, cause the kids loved the main activity: musical chairs! They all got really into it and wanted to play it twice even though the slides were all the same, hahah.

And right? I wish it were Friday! But I was wishing that since Monday

I had a class like that a couple of weeks ago. However, I work at an affluent school of sorts, and the mothers rolled in like 10 deep...some with note pads!! hahaha. Luckily I got perfect scores from these pencil wielding ajjumas. I did see one parent trying to give the answer to her kid (the answer was behind him but he couldn't see it), so I didn't call on him to answer on purpose. It says one the wall to do your OWN work, lady! Glad it all went well for everybody.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
why does my school have no english-korean or korean to english dictionaries?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »

Neither of my middle schools have one. One of my elementary schools does, surprisingly. They're all tiny country schools though.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2016, 02:45:05 PM »

As far as I know, my school doesn't have those either. I used my personal one with the after-school class last year...but that was about four students, and my class is twenty or so now... TT

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #713 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #714 on: April 22, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
Hey! It's actually Friday.

When I'm in my office I'll hear one of the kids in the hall say... (bear with me) O rider!/오라이더? 오마이더??

I don't know, they're doing it in this deep singing chanting kind of voice. They'l say it once and then a student down the hall will respond back. O riiiiddddeeerrrr.

ANY IDEA WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING?

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #715 on: April 22, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
"Oh my eyes!"

Where did the kids at this skill learn this from? Hasn't been in any textbooks so it leaves me wondering...

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #716 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Scent-Avenue-Sea-Dokdo-Essential/dp/B01BNW1E9O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1461202368&sr=8-9&keywords=dokdo

For those newbies, etcetera who need to give the perfect gift to coworkers, etc.

and in a twist of irony, "this item does not ship to korea"

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #717 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
CO2,

Koreans say it to mean "alright". They are using it to mean the coast is clear, or you are good to go. It is often heard by drivers when someone is helping them through a tight space and the sort.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #718 on: April 26, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »
Not actually Friday, but might as well be since I don't have any actual classes for the next 8 days?

Deskwarming thoughts... when a school is closed to celebrate its birthday, does it get a year older on that day or does it just age on New Years with everyone else so there can be more same age schools to ease the social hierarchy?  And is it already 1 when it's born because of the time it took to build it?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #719 on: April 26, 2016, 08:52:23 AM »
Not actually Friday, but might as well be since I don't have any actual classes for the next 8 days?

Deskwarming thoughts... when a school is closed to celebrate its birthday, does it get a year older on that day or does it just age on New Years with everyone else so there can be more same age schools to ease the social hierarchy?  And is it already 1 when it's born because of the time it took to build it?

:laugh: