November 19, 2017, 02:55:36 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402520 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #640 on: March 11, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »

Most countries except for those in Europe and most of North America don't.
Living in the interior of BC, it was always interesting trying to figure out which towns observed daylight savings and which ones didn't. The fact that the Pacific Time and Mountain Time border was a bit squiggly just complicated things even further.

*Looks at watch*"What time is it?"
*Also looks at watch* "Dunno, man."

I misread the orange one as "DST formally observed" and I was wondering what the difference was between that and just "DST observed."

I wish the whole world would just do away with it.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #641 on: March 11, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
I misread the orange one as "DST formally observed" and I was wondering what the difference was between that and just "DST observed."

Ha, just did the exact same thing.  But yeah, it's dumb.  Only messes up sleep schedules and makes people late for shit imo.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #642 on: March 11, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »
I never used to mind DST when I lived in the UK. Without it, it would still be pretty much dark outside at 9am in winter, and it would start going light at like 3.30am in Summer
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:22:45 PM by Imogen1991 »

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #643 on: March 11, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
My mom hand-dipped some Oreos and pretzels and decorated them.  Tossed them in a box with some candies and sent it to me as a part of my birthday gift.  It's too much for me to eat at home alone, so I brought it into school at lunch today.  All the teachers went NUTS for it, and even whipped out their cameras to take photos of it and shit  :laugh:  It was so cute.  The only thing is the 6 of the 13 teachers in our room ate like over half the box, and I was hoping more teachers would get to enjoy it.  Early bird(s) gets the worm, I guess  :huh:

My first year in Korea I made the mistake of opening a care package my mom had sent me at my desk in the teachers office. She had put a box of really good assorted chocolates (maybe 30-40 in the box?) from this local candy store in my hometown. Just to be nice, I decided to share some chocolates with the teachers sitting near me (there were maybe only five people in there; the rest were teaching classes). BIG EFFING MISTAKE. During break time between classes, this one B!TCH teacher that had tried the chocolates came right up to my desk, took the closed box that was there, and proceeded to make the rounds through the office with it, offering it to everyone without even asking me. There were two left when she was done.  :cry: 

Five years later, and I still feel enraged whenever I remember that stupid b handing out my precious chocolates without my permission!!! :evil:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:34:54 PM by taingray »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #644 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »

Most countries except for those in Europe and most of North America don't.
Living in the interior of BC, it was always interesting trying to figure out which towns observed daylight savings and which ones didn't. The fact that the Pacific Time and Mountain Time border was a bit squiggly just complicated things even further.

*Looks at watch*"What time is it?"
*Also looks at watch* "Dunno, man."

I tell you it gets dark here way too early during the warm months.  It would be nice to get an extra hour of light in the evening during spring, summer, and fall (assuming Korea followed the North American Standard).  The longest day of the year and it's dark by 8:15ish or so?  Give me a break!  We use to have it be dark by 9:45ish back in the Maritimes on a nice summer day on the longest day of the year. 

It would be nice to have the sun longer in the evening in summer.  It would be really nice in autumn.  It's kind of a peeve of mine through October when the weather here's the nicest and after work it gets dark too soon - by 6 pm.  Would be nice to have an extra hour of sunlight at that time as it would be nice to have some extra time outdoors in the evening or late afternoon when the weather here actually doesn't suck.  I can only wish Korea would do DST, even though I know they probably never will. 

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2016, 12:40:12 AM »
My mom hand-dipped some Oreos and pretzels and decorated them.  Tossed them in a box with some candies and sent it to me as a part of my birthday gift.  It's too much for me to eat at home alone, so I brought it into school at lunch today.  All the teachers went NUTS for it, and even whipped out their cameras to take photos of it and shit  :laugh:  It was so cute.  The only thing is the 6 of the 13 teachers in our room ate like over half the box, and I was hoping more teachers would get to enjoy it.  Early bird(s) gets the worm, I guess  :huh:

My first year in Korea I made the mistake of opening a care package my mom had sent me at my desk in the teachers office. She had put a box of really good assorted chocolates (maybe 30-40 in the box?) from this local candy store in my hometown. Just to be nice, I decided to share some chocolates with the teachers sitting near me (there were maybe only five people in there; the rest were teaching classes). BIG EFFING MISTAKE. During break time between classes, this one B!TCH teacher that had tried the chocolates came right up to my desk, took the closed box that was there, and proceeded to make the rounds through the office with it, offering it to everyone without even asking me. There were two left when she was done.  :cry: 

Five years later, and I still feel enraged whenever I remember that stupid b handing out my precious chocolates without my permission!!! :evil:

Well, I'm sure you know this by now, but anything brought to school, opened, and shared with teachers is typically seen as fair game--including when a Korean brings it in.  I'm sure your CT thought you intended to share those with the room in general. If you were Korean, it would have elicited the same response from your CT because by opening it, you were (maybe unintentionally) sending the message that they were for everyone to enjoy.  The reason why it upset you is because you're imposing your own culture's norms and expectations onto them.  Not saying your CT couldn't be/wasn't a b*tch in other ways :laugh: which may or may not have made your reaction a bit biased, but that particular situation was likely just a miscommunication.

In our office, we have this little low cabinet/table that everyone seems to put communal things on.  I have really nice loose-leaf tea and honey that I drink every day, and I keep it right on my desk in plain view.  The teacher next to me has a tin of chocolates (that he often offers to others) but because they're on our personal desks no one ever touches them*.  Every teacher's room functions a little differently.  If yours doesn't have a sort of unspoken "share space", the fact that it was opened and shared initially was likely what caused the misunderstanding.  I wouldn't let it continue to upset you; not worth the negative energy.

*Sometimes people near my desk borrow and forget to return my scissors while I'm in class, though  :laugh:

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »

Well, I'm sure you know this by now, but anything brought to school, opened, and shared with teachers is typically seen as fair game--including when a Korean brings it in.  I'm sure your CT thought you intended to share those with the room in general. If you were Korean, it would have elicited the same response from your CT because by opening it, you were (maybe unintentionally) sending the message that they were for everyone to enjoy.  The reason why it upset you is because you're imposing your own culture's norms and expectations onto them.  Not saying your CT couldn't be/wasn't a b*tch in other ways :laugh: which may or may not have made your reaction a bit biased, but that particular situation was likely just a miscommunication.

In our office, we have this little low cabinet/table that everyone seems to put communal things on.  I have really nice loose-leaf tea and honey that I drink every day, and I keep it right on my desk in plain view.  The teacher next to me has a tin of chocolates (that he often offers to others) but because they're on our personal desks no one ever touches them*.  Every teacher's room functions a little differently.  If yours doesn't have a sort of unspoken "share space", the fact that it was opened and shared initially was likely what caused the misunderstanding.  I wouldn't let it continue to upset you; not worth the negative energy.

*Sometimes people near my desk borrow and forget to return my scissors while I'm in class, though  :laugh:

I've been here almost six years and married into a Korean family, so I get that now and I never opened another package in the office again! That lady wasn't my co; I recall my actual co-teacher feeling sorry for me that most of my American treats were gone and saying something to the effect of, "some people in the office are very rude."

For the record though, that lady was really a b!tch to me in several ways throughout my first year. She taught home economics or somethings and didn't speak a word of English. One day she flipped out at me for using *her* personal garbage bin. I didn't realize it at the time because I had only been here a couple months and didn't know any Korean, but apparently she would just complain about me out loud at her desk. I didn't even know she had b!tched about me using the bin or that it even "belonged" to only one person. My sympathetic co again explained to me, "some people, not me! Not most people on the office! But some people have tantrums if you do that."  :laugh:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #647 on: March 13, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »

I've been here almost six years and married into a Korean family, so I get that now and I never opened another package in the office again! That lady wasn't my co; I recall my actual co-teacher feeling sorry for me that most of my American treats were gone and saying something to the effect of, "some people in the office are very rude."

For the record though, that lady was really a b!tch to me in several ways throughout my first year. She taught home economics or somethings and didn't speak a word of English. One day she flipped out at me for using *her* personal garbage bin. I didn't realize it at the time because I had only been here a couple months and didn't know any Korean, but apparently she would just complain about me out loud at her desk. I didn't even know she had b!tched about me using the bin or that it even "belonged" to only one person. My sympathetic co again explained to me, "some people, not me! Not most people on the office! But some people have tantrums if you do that."  :laugh:

Wow, she sounds like a treat.  At least everyone else held the same opinion of her.  Lmfao I love how your CT would just be passive-aggressive and vaguely talk in third people, like "Oh, you know how some people are..."  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #648 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
Man, the songs aren't that great in the grade 5 Daekyo book, but the girl dancers are on point. A refreshing change from cartoon people.

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #649 on: March 25, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
Welp, I'm leaving Korea next week and have done little to prepare. Feeling pretty zen about it though.

How's everyone else's Friday going?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #650 on: March 25, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Pretty sure we are having a North Korea attack drill at 2pm today...which i heard in Korean..but wasn't actually told.  "QUICK EVERYONE OUTSIDE TO THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD TO BE A FREE TARGET IN BRIGHTLY COLOURED PADDED JACKETS!"  :rolleyes:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #651 on: March 25, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
I'm headed up to Seoul today.  My alarm didn't go off this morning (woke up to a text from a friend at 8:51) but somehow managed to make it to my classroom at 9:02.  I'm at two schools today so I stopped at home in between, and now I'm looking hella on point.

I'm also preparing for my April Fool's prank for my kids.  I'm going to pretend I got my hair cut really short while in Seoul for all of next week since my kids know I'm going this weekend.  I've been dropping complaints about how my hair is too long for the last week and my 2nd year girls at my travel school are devastated that I'm "cutting" it :laugh:

ChrisKorea

« Reply #652 on: March 25, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Pretty sure we are having a North Korea attack drill at 2pm today...which i heard in Korean..but wasn't actually told.  "QUICK EVERYONE OUTSIDE TO THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD TO BE A FREE TARGET IN BRIGHTLY COLOURED PADDED JACKETS!"  :rolleyes:

I remember when we had this drill last year, there were these cartoon pictures posted that showed children smiling and happy and ON FIRE as they ran outside and up hills to escape a bomb blast or whatever. And then when we all went outside for the drill, it was as you said: they all stood in the middle of the field making themselves easy targets. And everyone was happy and laughing. And then before, on the way outside, there was no order: everyone was just running anywhere they wanted, crowds squeezed themselves through doors, it was so chaotic. I wonder what will happen if NK actually does bomb this place.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #653 on: March 25, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
We're doing the same thing.  This morning my co-teacher with super terrible English told me my class would start at 1:40 or 1:45 today instead of 1:20.  She used the word "maybe" about six times.  To clarify, I said "so class will be shorter?" and she didn't understand the question, so I thought I'd just wait and see.

At about 1:20 she informed me that that class and the following class were now canceled. 

Only in Korea do the teachers find out five minutes beforehand that their classes are canceled for presumably pre-planned events.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #654 on: March 25, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Oh and just to be clear I'm ridiculously happy about this.  I thought this was shaping up to be the second week in 7 months that I've taught all my classes.  Nope.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #655 on: March 25, 2016, 01:14:26 PM »

I remember when we had this drill last year, there were these cartoon pictures posted that showed children smiling and happy and ON FIRE as they ran outside and up hills to escape a bomb blast or whatever. And then when we all went outside for the drill, it was as you said: they all stood in the middle of the field making themselves easy targets. And everyone was happy and laughing. And then before, on the way outside, there was no order: everyone was just running anywhere they wanted, crowds squeezed themselves through doors, it was so chaotic. I wonder what will happen if NK actually does bomb this place.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha PLEASE tell me you took a picture of this!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #656 on: March 25, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »

Update! We actually went into the gym this time! *applauds*

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #657 on: March 25, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
At my hagwon, a lot of students come into class late after a break. I like to play a joke on my kids, especially the older ones, and lock the door if they're not back in the room right when the bell rings. 99% of the kids try to open the door, find that it's locked, laugh, and then even say sorry for being late as I let them in. I did this last night, and this one middle school boy apparently has never come across a locked door before because he starts putting jumping up and putting all his weight on the handle and slamming his body into the door. He's big enough that he's actually damaged the handle now.

Offline SexyLadyboys

• Newgookin
« Reply #658 on: March 25, 2016, 02:48:30 PM »
anyone else been blacklisted from Korvia?

They asked how my school was, and I simply said that I wasn't able to do the things that were a part of my original goals, because the ESL system here doesn't allow for it...

They instantly stopped responding...

Still in the group etc...

Over the years, they have really turned into just about the money.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #659 on: April 05, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
I came across this video over the weekend and laughed so hard there were tears in my eyes.  Memories of uni...