September 21, 2017, 09:36:48 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353172 times)

ChrisKorea

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #620 on: March 11, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
I'm from California. There was a popular block of television that come on Friday nights back in the 90s called TGIF, but it essentially means "Thank Good It's Friday."

Family Matters, Step by Step, Dinosaurs and Baby Talk. Though I preferred it when Full House and Perfect Strangers were in there too.

Let's not forget Boy Meets World. And on Saturdays we had Snick. What have weekends become?

Boy Meets World was good in the first season (and maybe the second) when it was about quirky middle school. Then he grew up and it became more typical teenage fare.

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #621 on: March 11, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
I'm from California. There was a popular block of television that come on Friday nights back in the 90s called TGIF, but it essentially means "Thank Good It's Friday."

Family Matters, Step by Step, Dinosaurs and Baby Talk. Though I preferred it when Full House and Perfect Strangers were in there too.

Let's not forget Boy Meets World. And on Saturdays we had Snick. What have weekends become?

Boy Meets World was good in the first season (and maybe the second) when it was about quirky middle school. Then he grew up and it became more typical teenage fare.

It's all about the college years, Chris!! **Sean and Angela Foreverrrrr*

ChrisKorea

« Reply #622 on: March 11, 2016, 02:11:22 PM »

It's all about the college years, Chris!! **Sean and Angela Foreverrrrr*

No it started the year before he went to high school. I liked it better with Minkus and New-Age Topanga, before she became Standard Teenage Girl Topanga.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #623 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
I know what it means.

How would you use it in a sentence?  Is it used primarily by children to each other or by adults to each other?

It probably wasn't popular due to it taking the Lord's name in vain.

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #624 on: March 11, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
My Co T just naver searched  유투브.

I really wonder if this is a Korean thing. My co-teachers have always Naver-ed websites, not just Youtube. For example, the one time in my first year, I asked my co-teacher for help using the online banking, and I was about to type in shinhan.com, but she was like "You can just find it on Naver!" and typed in 신한은행 to then click on the website... I tried to explain to her that it's just faster to type in the actual address and she looked at me like I had a nipple on my forehead. :huh: I definitely don't understand this one.

i saw a thing posted on Facebook last year about the most common naver search term people used.

right there towards the top was 'google'.

yup, koreans even use a search engine to search for a search engine.

EDIT: here it is! Youtube is the 3rd most popular naver search, and 'google' comes in at number 5: http://seoseminkorea.blogspot.kr/2014/12/naver-news-most-searched-keywords-on-naver-in-2014.html

So, I use Google Chrome as I imagine most of you do. After reading this thread, I go to check Snopes for something unrelated. I go to the bar and type 'snopes' and because it doesn't autofill the .com, I just press enter like some kind of heathen. And then click on the Google result. And stop.

"Are we really that different?"  I marvel to myself as my stomach digests today's kimchi. "Perhaps it is easier for Koreans to type in hangul. Perhaps we are... the same."

A rooster crows outside. Teachers munch on cat food masquerading as dried squid. My name is sandwiched into a Korean conversation, but I just take a rest, knowing no one will bother to explain. I close my eyes. Just a few more weeks...

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #625 on: March 11, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I know what it means.

How would you use it in a sentence?  Is it used primarily by children to each other or by adults to each other?

It probably wasn't popular due to it taking the Lord's name in vain.

You just say "T-G-I-F" like letters, at least where I'm from.  Everyone knows it means, "WOOHOO WEEKEND IS HERE, THANK GOD AMMIRITE?!?!"

I think I hear teenagers and adults use it more than young kids, actually, especailly in the workplace.  It's 90's slang though, so current teens in western countries may not use it as much anymore...I'm not sure?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #626 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
So you just turn to someone (friend or colleague) and say "T-G-I-F"

That's it?

Well, that definitely missed my generation or community growing up.

The first time I heard it used by an actual person standing right in front of me was in Korea by a Korean, so I wasn't sure if it was a regional thing or a Konglish thing.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #627 on: March 11, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
So you just turn to someone (friend or colleague) and say "T-G-I-F"

That's it?

Well, that definitely missed my generation or community growing up.

The first time I heard it used by an actual person standing right in front of me was in Korea by a Korean, so I wasn't sure if it was a regional thing or a Konglish thing.

Yep if something is bothering you on a Friday and stuffs got you down you can sigh in exhasperation to a co worker and say "TGIF".

Offline aow.mave

• Adventurer
« Reply #628 on: March 11, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
Company rambling here -- This morning I had to send some emails to a German "sister company" about products we want to purchase. I received their confirmation and was adjusting the prices, but realized there was a mistake on their end with the quantity for one item.

I'm somewhat new to this task but I'm familiar enough with this scenario that I know how to reply. Basically, I just need to email the person responsible at the vendor and let them know to adjust the quantity and resend the confirmation. Not the end of the world -- it was a small mistake and not even on our end.

I send the email, asking to just increase the quantity for the certain item and resend the confirmation -- and to have a great weekend. And I CC the person who had this task before -- a Korean keep in mind. She is sitting close enough to me we could speak in person, but she sends an email telling me my email didn't make enough sense and wasn't clear enough. I vocally ask her what she meant and she says "It's not clear enough." I try to ask her what she wanted me to say, but she dances around the question without giving me a direct answer.

I recall the email, type out a more detailed one stating the original quantity, price -- lots of needless information (which could have been seen below in the previous replies). I spell it out as clearly as possible, In the most simple and precise wording. I send the email again.

Same reaction from the coworker. Finally she sends an awkwardly worded email herself to the intended person, not clarifying anything -- just making the situation more complex.

It's kind of insulting to tell me that my email worded in English (written by me -- a native speaker of course) is not clear enough, and her email with strange grammar is more clear because she litters it with a few random screen captures without editing it down...

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #629 on: March 11, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
Company rambling here -- This morning I had to send some emails to a German "sister company" about products we want to purchase. I received their confirmation and was adjusting the prices, but realized there was a mistake on their end with the quantity for one item.

I'm somewhat new to this task but I'm familiar enough with this scenario that I know how to reply. Basically, I just need to email the person responsible at the vendor and let them know to adjust the quantity and resend the confirmation. Not the end of the world -- it was a small mistake and not even on our end.

I send the email, asking to just increase the quantity for the certain item and resend the confirmation -- and to have a great weekend. And I CC the person who had this task before -- a Korean keep in mind. She is sitting close enough to me we could speak in person, but she sends an email telling me my email didn't make enough sense and wasn't clear enough. I vocally ask her what she meant and she says "It's not clear enough." I try to ask her what she wanted me to say, but she dances around the question without giving me a direct answer.

I recall the email, type out a more detailed one stating the original quantity, price -- lots of needless information (which could have been seen below in the previous replies). I spell it out as clearly as possible, In the most simple and precise wording. I send the email again.

Same reaction from the coworker. Finally she sends an awkwardly worded email herself to the intended person, not clarifying anything -- just making the situation more complex.

It's kind of insulting to tell me that my email worded in English (written by me -- a native speaker of course) is not clear enough, and her email with strange grammar is more clear because she litters it with a few random screen captures without editing it down...

What's the word for "second hand anger."
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #630 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »
I took a small tumble going UP some stairs today and now my knee hurts, the internet keeps going down so that I can't access some of the school materials I had planned for this week, the USB drive I used as backup for these materials doesn't work in half of my classrooms, and my school computer spazzed while I was working on next week's lessons and I lost all of the changes I've made to them so far.

TGIF.

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #631 on: March 11, 2016, 03:49:07 PM »
It stands for "Thank God It's Friday" or, for the less or non religious, "Thank Goodness It's Friday". 

I'm from the US midwest.

So polite. In the UK we have a primetime TV show called TFI Friday. You can guess what it stands for.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #632 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
Yesterday my American credit card from my credit union arrived and needed to be activated. Activating the card was a simple matter of opening the app, typing in a username and password, going to the card manager, and selecting the toggle to activate the new card. Then  I set my PIN by entering in a few numbers. Very simple.

And that was the good thing. Simple. No antivirus cancer, no "type in the 6th number on your safety card", no certificate password, no "here's a keyboard with a random layout", no "input your alien number". It was like being in a sane world, a world where proper data security practices were followed, a world where my personal information wasn't routinely stolen from the bank's servers by hackers, a world where the banks didn't receive kickbacks from security software vendors to push half-baked software on users.

The good feeling promptly ended when I attempted to buy something on Gmarket and the resulting bank transfer BS. Korea is the only nation on earth where it's more convenient to do a bank transfer at an ATM than it is online. Now that's an accomplishment.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #633 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
My mom hand-dipped some Oreos and pretzels and decorated them.  Tossed them in a box with some candies and sent it to me as a part of my birthday gift.  It's too much for me to eat at home alone, so I brought it into school at lunch today.  All the teachers went NUTS for it, and even whipped out their cameras to take photos of it and shit  :laugh:  It was so cute.  The only thing is the 6 of the 13 teachers in our room ate like over half the box, and I was hoping more teachers would get to enjoy it.  Early bird(s) gets the worm, I guess  :huh:

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #634 on: March 11, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
My mom hand-dipped some Oreos and pretzels and decorated them.  Tossed them in a box with some candies and sent it to me as a part of my birthday gift.  It's too much for me to eat at home alone, so I brought it into school at lunch today.  All the teachers went NUTS for it, and even whipped out their cameras to take photos of it and shit  :laugh:  It was so cute.  The only thing is the 6 of the 13 teachers in our room ate like over half the box, and I was hoping more teachers would get to enjoy it.  Early bird(s) gets the worm, I guess  :huh:

Yup, Koreans have no sense of communal sharing.

Anyway...

TIL, and I don't know how I haven't put this together the last 4 years, that Korea doesn't observe daylight savings...

I dug further and found out, random segments of earth don't observe it, like half of Brazil, or for some reason, Arizona....

cool.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

YoungMin

« Reply #635 on: March 11, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
Anyone else got one of these loud ass 'Viruskiller' things in the corner of their office chirping away all day everyday zapping the life out of them?

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #636 on: March 11, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »

Yea that sort of stuff drives me insane and I can totally see where you're coming from. 

Office life in the UK was barely tolerable so I can't imagine what it's like in Korea.  Keep your chin up!  :smiley:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
TIL, and I don't know how I haven't put this together the last 4 years, that Korea doesn't observe daylight savings...

I dug further and found out, random segments of earth don't observe it, like half of Brazil, or for some reason, Arizona....

cool.

I actually like that they don't.  http://Research has also shown that it's not great for your internal clock either.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:12:42 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

Most countries except for those in Europe and most of North America don't.
Living in the interior of BC, it was always interesting trying to figure out which towns observed daylight savings and which ones didn't. The fact that the Pacific Time and Mountain Time border was a bit squiggly just complicated things even further.

*Looks at watch*"What time is it?"
*Also looks at watch* "Dunno, man."

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #639 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »

Most countries except for those in Europe and most of North America don't.
Living in the interior of BC, it was always interesting trying to figure out which towns observed daylight savings and which ones didn't. The fact that the Pacific Time and Mountain Time border was a bit squiggly just complicated things even further.

*Looks at watch*"What time is it?"
*Also looks at watch* "Dunno, man."

Australia, get your sh*t together. Saskatchewan is weird too, but in all honesty, there are like 400 people who live north of them.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment