November 19, 2017, 01:42:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401988 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
My Co T just naver searched  유투브.

I really wonder if this is a Korean thing. My co-teachers have always Naver-ed websites, not just Youtube. For example, the one time in my first year, I asked my co-teacher for help using the online banking, and I was about to type in shinhan.com, but she was like "You can just find it on Naver!" and typed in 신한은행 to then click on the website... I tried to explain to her that it's just faster to type in the actual address and she looked at me like I had a nipple on my forehead. :huh: I definitely don't understand this one.

Offline Joshua1211

• Veteran
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »

I really wonder if this is a Korean thing. My co-teachers have always Naver-ed websites, not just Youtube. For example, the one time in my first year, I asked my co-teacher for help using the online banking, and I was about to type in shinhan.com, but she was like "You can just find it on Naver!" and typed in 신한은행 to then click on the website... I tried to explain to her that it's just faster to type in the actual address and she looked at me like I had a nipple on my forehead. :huh: I definitely don't understand this one.
Sometimes I wonder if:
a) I'm pretty smart
b) My co-workers are not very smart
c) They just think I'm smart because they don't expect very much out of me as a foreigner.

Honestly, I feel like I can do the simplest, most common sense thing in solving some small problem or issue and I am rewarded with "wow! You are so smart!" I'm not complaining, it feels pretty good to be called smart all day. But sometimes I really feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy where he's the smartest guy in the world for knowing the simplest things.

Koreans have 0 Common Sense, that's why it baffles them.

See HOt6^ previous comment lol. I really don't understand how lacking in common sense Koreans are in day to day activities. Whether it's shoveling snow INTO the streets, or the constant last minute everything routine. Seriously, how the F*$k do teachers not know the schedule for the following week, especially when it's the first week of school? I like Korea for the benefits, but I can't wait to GTFO! It's getting harder and harder to deal with these incompetencies on a daily basis.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
Well the ads do train them to search for every single thing in that little green box. I've yet to see them actually enter an URL...

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #603 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
Literally the ONLY time I've ever seen my co-teachers drink water is that little metal cup of water they drink immediately after eating. Whereas I usually have at least two beverages plus my large water bottle on my desk all day. I get thirsty just thinking about how dehydrated they all must be.

I love how they will tell you "NO YOU'LL BE SICK!!" if you try to drink water just before, or with the meal. However drinking it 30 seconds after the meal is fine. I'm not a doctor but I really don't think your body will have managed to have digested all that food in 30 seconds or so.

Apparently there is some science backing up not drinking water for 20 or 30 minutes before and after a meal can help with digestion but you're shooting yourself in the foot by following that advice for the time before/during the meal but not after.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »
Literally the ONLY time I've ever seen my co-teachers drink water is that little metal cup of water they drink immediately after eating. Whereas I usually have at least two beverages plus my large water bottle on my desk all day. I get thirsty just thinking about how dehydrated they all must be.

I love how they will tell you "NO YOU'LL BE SICK!!" if you try to drink water just before, or with the meal. However drinking it 30 seconds after the meal is fine. I'm not a doctor but I really don't think your body will have managed to have digested all that food in 30 seconds or so.

Apparently there is some science backing up not drinking water for 20 or 30 minutes before and after a meal can help with digestion but you're shooting yourself in the foot by following that advice for the time before/during the meal but not after.

My understanding is that the science has more to do with drinking cold water as opposed to hot water after eating. Hot water apparently helps with digestion while cold water potentially slows it down? Something like that
Because really, if you're eating soup for lunch, what's the difference between that and a glass of water?

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #605 on: March 11, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
Does anyone else teach their Friday classes "TGIF" ?  I always do.  So happy it's Friday.

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
Does anyone else teach their Friday classes "TGIF" ?  I always do.  So happy it's Friday.

:laugh: Totally! The also like to say "Fire Friday" and "Fried Chicken Day"

Those work too.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #607 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
The soup today was actually hot and of course the other teachers around me have to laugh and point out that I am sweating. But I love hot food and I love sweating over it so I drank it to the last drop, but of course the other teachers -though Korean and supposed lovers of spicy food- didn't even eat half of theirs, or if they did they loaded it with rice to cover the burn, and it's like, wtf? I think Koreans just like spicy food on paper but they really hate it, just like how on paper they have strict traffic laws but no one follows them. On paper, their society is perfect so in their heads they can be perfect which is why they have to insulate themselves from the reality of the world outside of Korea.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:41:56 AM by ChrisKorea »

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
I'm detecting a lot of points in these ramblings...

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #609 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
Those who teach and use TGIF, I am very curious where you are from?

I am from the PNW and never heard or used that expression growing up, apart from perhaps something on the TV.

Enjoy your weekend.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #610 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

I am from the PNW and never heard or used that expression growing up, apart from perhaps something on the TV.

Enjoy your weekend.

Perhaps PNW weekends are not worth rejoicing about.

😊

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #611 on: March 11, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
It stands for "Thank God It's Friday" or, for the less or non religious, "Thank Goodness It's Friday". 

I'm from the US midwest.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #612 on: March 11, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »

Enjoy your weekend.

I'm from the Midwest (USA) and we say it.  There's even a restaurant chain called TGIFridays  :laugh:  Though I'm not sure if they're still around.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #613 on: March 11, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I'm detecting a lot of points in these ramblings...

Building up a resume for moderator I see...

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #614 on: March 11, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
I'm from California. There was a popular block of television that come on Friday nights back in the 90s called TGIF, but it essentially means "Thank God It's Friday."

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #615 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
Also it smells like ass in here and all the windows are closed. the one damn time I want koreans to open the windows to the heavens and i get stuff in a stuffy office filled with egg smell

ChrisKorea

« Reply #616 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
I'm from California. There was a popular block of television that come on Friday nights back in the 90s called TGIF, but it essentially means "Thank Good It's Friday."

Family Matters, Step by Step, Dinosaurs and Baby Talk. Though I preferred it when Full House and Perfect Strangers were in there too.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #617 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »

Enjoy your weekend.

I'm from the Midwest (USA) and we say it.  There's even a restaurant chain called TGIFridays  :laugh:  Though I'm not sure if they're still around.

Several locations in Seoul...

https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=tgi+fridays+seoul&oq=tgi+fridays+seoul&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.13379j0j4&client=ms-android-kt-kr&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #618 on: March 11, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
I'm from California. There was a popular block of television that come on Friday nights back in the 90s called TGIF, but it essentially means "Thank Good It's Friday."

Family Matters, Step by Step, Dinosaurs and Baby Talk. Though I preferred it when Full House and Perfect Strangers were in there too.

Let's not forget Boy Meets World. And on Saturdays we had Snick. What have weekends become?

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #619 on: March 11, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »

i saw a thing posted on Facebook last year about the most common naver search term people used.

right there towards the top was 'google'.

yup, koreans even use a search engine to search for a search engine.

EDIT: here it is! Youtube is the 3rd most popular naver search, and 'google' comes in at number 5: http://seoseminkorea.blogspot.kr/2014/12/naver-news-most-searched-keywords-on-naver-in-2014.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:07:27 PM by johnny russian »