November 19, 2017, 02:53:03 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402508 times)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #580 on: February 05, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
Just thinking back to the day a few weeks ago when I signed my EPIK contract for another year.

Did anyone else look around the room and wonder how some of these absolute FREAKS got jobs here?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #581 on: February 05, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
That's the way it has always been.  Look at any expat community.

People who are comfortable in their home country, well-adjusted, well-connected, etc. rarely leave their network, their community.

Those who are socially awkward, maladjusted, not well connected, etc. tend to look abroad to create a life that better suits them.

No need to judge.  They were probably thinking the same thing about you ;)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #582 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
Haha you're probably right  ;D

I like to think I'm fairly normal though compared to what I saw and heard that day.

For example, I wash my hair regularly, I don't question the necessity of a medical check because I'm scared of needles, I don't patronise my employer by trying to speak broken Korean to a coordinator who is speaking English fluently and I don't openly talk about how smashed I'm going to get that night in front of them either.

It was a weird experience.

YoungMin

« Reply #583 on: February 05, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
Just thinking back to the day a few weeks ago when I signed my EPIK contract for another year.

Did anyone else look around the room and wonder how some of these absolute FREAKS got jobs here?

I once bumped into a teacher at a teacher training seminar who was carrying a baseball bat around with her as protection against kids and ahjossis. That was a fun day.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
Believe me.  I know exactly what you are talking about.

I used to be be involved in the orientation of new hires and responsible for helping them get settled in, field questions, etc.  It was always a mixed bag.  Some seemed quite normal, while others were completely unaware of how inappropriate their behavior was.

Lots of stories, but there was always at least one alcoholic in the group, one with no sense of personal hygiene, one with virtually no luggage. Sometimes they were one and the same person ;)

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #585 on: February 05, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »

I once bumped into a teacher at a teacher training seminar who was carrying a baseball bat around with her as protection against kids and ahjossis. That was a fun day.

Yup.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
As much as I love free food at teachers dinners, two days in a row? Of my coteacher occasionally saying something to me and then me sitting and eating in silence for an hour or so. Whoop! Graduation day! My 3rd grade middle schoolers are AWFUL kids.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #587 on: February 05, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
3 hours... and then 3 glorious weeks of vacation... I'm like a 5yr old on Christmas morning! Gimme Gimme Gimme my vacation!

So exhausted, but so exuberant at the same time!  ;D

Offline KrystleJane

• Adventurer
« Reply #588 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
Getting ready to move to Germany and I felt the need to look up the differences in air quality.

German rating: highest in my future city was 26 (lowest was around 6).
Busan rating: closest to my apartment was 146.

Can't wait to leave this place and run outside again. 3 weeks.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #589 on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »
TGIF!  I only have one class today as 2nd grade middle schoolers are taking some kind of test.  I had my first classes yesterday.  The 2nd graders were fine since they know me from last year.  The 1st graders are like terrified deer in the headlights. 

Have a good weekend everyone.

Offline ambtx92

• Waygookin
« Reply #590 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Was just informed I am no longer teaching Middle School 2nd Grade and 1st Grade, but 3rd Grade and 1st Grade. To my knowledge, the NET at my school has not worked with the 3rd graders for a long, long time. Why the sudden shift, I do not know...but apparently it might be better for me in this situation, based on the kids' behaviors, maturity, and level.

Still, this late-notice change (which back home would be extremely severe in nature) doesn't earn Korean work culture any brownie points. TGIF

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #591 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
TGIF indeed! I teach at 3 schools, 2 elementary and 1 middle.

The middle school hired me and working there is amazing, everyone is just so nice to one another...

The elementary school.... not so much... (understatement of note)
"Oh you only do 21 hours? Let's make sure all your days at the elementary are hell."

5/5/6 now... Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

Unlike Garfield I love Mondays and Fridays.

Offline Chuck

• Waygookin
« Reply #592 on: March 04, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
At least 9 high school classes this semester. For elementary I won't have a KET, just the homeroom teachers who like to leave me alone with the kids.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #593 on: March 04, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if:
a) I'm pretty smart
b) My co-workers are not very smart
c) They just think I'm smart because they don't expect very much out of me as a foreigner.

Honestly, I feel like I can do the simplest, most common sense thing in solving some small problem or issue and I am rewarded with "wow! You are so smart!" I'm not complaining, it feels pretty good to be called smart all day. But sometimes I really feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy where he's the smartest guy in the world for knowing the simplest things.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if:
a) I'm pretty smart
c) They just think I'm smart because they don't expect very much out of me as a foreigner.

Honestly, I feel like I can do the simplest, most common sense thing in solving some small problem or issue and I am rewarded with "wow! You are so smart!" I'm not complaining, it feels pretty good to be called smart all day. But sometimes I really feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy where he's the smartest guy in the world for knowing the simplest things.

Koreans have 0 Common Sense, that's why it baffles them.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #595 on: March 04, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if:
a) I'm pretty smart

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:48:01 AM by JNM »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #596 on: March 10, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
Today I was complimented on my chopstick skills.  As in, in the proper way to pay someone a complement that isn't condescending.

Just the other day I was thinking that, despite all these new teachers we've gotten, not a single person has given me the, "WOW NomadicMadda teacher!  Your can do chopsticks SO WELL!" observation.

Today, however, an older male teacher said to me, "Hey NomadicMadda teacher, your chopstick form is really nice."

Thanks, older male teacher. You get a +1 from me :azn:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #597 on: March 11, 2016, 07:42:06 AM »
I can't remember ever seeing another teacher in my office have a drink of water.

Come to think of it I can't remember seeing any teacher in the school have a drink of water.

Should I be worried?  :laugh:

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #598 on: March 11, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Literally the ONLY time I've ever seen my co-teachers drink water is that little metal cup of water they drink immediately after eating. Whereas I usually have at least two beverages plus my large water bottle on my desk all day. I get thirsty just thinking about how dehydrated they all must be.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »
My Co T just naver searched  유투브.