September 21, 2017, 09:35:20 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353168 times)

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #560 on: December 24, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
Random stuff that isn't just complaining:

There's a large poster on the wall of the English room with tips for learning English. In the background, there's a group of university-age westerners sitting in a circle on the grass, studying together. Today I was walking around the room for no particular reason, when I read the title of the book the people in the picture were studying:

Gramática de la lengua alemania.

"Grammar of the German language."

So the English poster has a picture of Spanish students studying German.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mention that as an indictment of some Korean behavior or anything. It's just an amusing use of a stock photo that looks appropriate, as long as you don't look too closely.

Unrelated: I think I'm going to splurge and take a taxi home from work today. It's Christmas Eve and I'm in a decent mood, and I really don't want to ruin that with my usual crowded bus commute.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #561 on: December 24, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
I teach at two schools.  At both schools, my co-teachers/coordinators (aka handlers) are great.  They are normal, mature, rational people.  They are both leaving!  :sad: 

I will miss them. 

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #562 on: December 24, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
Wait.....

I just found out yesterday that Deadpool won't be showing in Korea and I'm crushed. CRUSHED.  :cry:

Is it really not coming out in Korea?   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:  What website do you use to find out what movies are coming out and which aren't?  I am still waiting around to watch Creed. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  what??!?!??! Deadpool is not showing in Korea?!?!? How can this be true? Give me sources of this crazy rumour!

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #563 on: December 24, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
Wait.....

I just found out yesterday that Deadpool won't be showing in Korea and I'm crushed. CRUSHED.  :cry:

Is it really not coming out in Korea?   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:  What website do you use to find out what movies are coming out and which aren't?  I am still waiting around to watch Creed. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  what??!?!??! Deadpool is not showing in Korea?!?!? How can this be true? Give me sources of this crazy rumour!

I'd looked at IMDB's list of international release dates for the movie and saw that Korea wasn't listed... HOWEVER it appears I may have been mistaken: http://movie.naver.com/movie/running/premovie.nhn

Because it's on the list for February! It seems that they just haven't chosen a specific date yet.

Let's call it a Christmas miracle.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #564 on: December 24, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »
I just checked the Philippines date and will likely see it there, since it coincides with my vacation.  Gives me something to do during my Manila overnight layover  :laugh:

Offline sonny

• Veteran
  • Simply Stunning
« Reply #565 on: December 24, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
Wait.....

I'd looked at IMDB's list of international release dates for the movie and saw that Korea wasn't listed... HOWEVER it appears I may have been mistaken: http://movie.naver.com/movie/running/premovie.nhn

Because it's on the list for February! It seems that they just haven't chosen a specific date yet.

Let's call it a Christmas miracle.

It's here too.

http://cineinkorea.com/movie/index.php

On coming soon side bar. February 2016.
 :afro:
Eat. Pray. Love. Travel. = My life

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #566 on: December 24, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
uuugh... I don't know what's worse sometimes, waygook, or having to constantly listen to my handler bitch and moan; sigh out load to try and grab my attention...

Totally is a buzz kill as much as a I try to ignore it.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #567 on: December 24, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
I spent my elementary years in Europe and the next several decades in Canada and I have enjoyed the past 10 years in SE Asia.

This is my first Christmas in Korea. I am disappointed.

I hate winter and cold but there's something a little magical about being tucked up in the living room with a fire roaring in the fireplace and staring out the window watching big fluffy snowflakes slowly drift down making the drifts higher and whiter. Age doesn't matter, being tucked into mom and dad is just as cool as being tucked into your wife or girlfriend.

Living in the tropics and having Christmas lights wrapped aroung the palm tree and being surrounded by family and friends as the temperature dips to near 20C is just as magical. Much to my surprise.

But this shite in Korea with a mild, middle of the road, scene...not cold...not warm...no snow but way too chilly to be outside in a T-shirt and shorts having a BBQ...just sucks!

I guess it's a lot like Christmas in Vancouver...or Seattle for the Americans here.
Hail Caesar

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #568 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Thought i'd resuscitate this thread as it is Friday. I've just completed my 2 week winter camp and it was lots of fun. The kids especially liked pizza day and floor hockey day. I'm bored s-less watching the clock slowly inch towards 4:40. Need to buy extra cat litter on my way home, as one of the grade 5 teachers has kindly offered to take in my cat while i'm away on vacation. Which, by the way, I am sooo looking forward to. Going to Okinawa again. Am hoping to go whale-watching though i fear the weather's going to be miserable and rainy there for the next couple of weeks and the boat trip'll be cancelled. Nonetheless, should be fun...I see the cherry blossoms come out in late January there. Truly hope this post doesn't blow anyone's gasket for not being rambly enough or for improper grammar usage etc....Good holidays to everyone still at school reading waygook.org
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:55:36 PM by walrus »

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #569 on: January 15, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
I am always waiting for the clock to hit 4:40

I don't have any plans this winter. I don't know why... trying to save a little for a bigger summer trip and things.

I went to Thailand last year. Drank coconuts, grabbed ladyboys breast, played connect 4 with go go girls, pet tigers... ate awesome food.

If the ESL rates go up a little there... I'm there in a heartbeat.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #570 on: January 15, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Since coming to Korea I've never, ever gotten a straight answer to the question "How old are you?"  It usually takes a couple of minutes going back and forth to get the magic number.

It's fair enough to give me your Korean age first but I don't understand how it takes a couple more minutes to calculate your actual age.

Genuinely intrigued - if a Korean person asks another Korean person their age, what number do they give?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #571 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:22 PM »
Since coming to Korea I've never, ever gotten a straight answer to the question "How old are you?"  It usually takes a couple of minutes going back and forth to get the magic number.

It's fair enough to give me your Korean age first but I don't understand how it takes a couple more minutes to calculate your actual age.

Genuinely intrigued - if a Korean person asks another Korean person their age, what number do they give?

Funny thing about Korean age, that's what Koreans use. With each other. In every facet. That is their ACTUAL age.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »

Funny thing about Korean age, that's what Koreans use. With each other. In every facet. That is their ACTUAL age.

So what do Korean people say when they want to know someone's actual age?  Not the made up tooth fairy age?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #573 on: January 17, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »

So what do Korean people say when they want to know someone's actual age?  Not the made up tooth fairy age?

A Korean would only be interested in western age if they are dealing with a westerner.

What Koreans ask is "In what year of your life are you?"

Newborn is 1 until thier first lunar new year.

Westerners ask "How many trips 'round the sun have you completed?"

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #574 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »

A Korean would only be interested in western age if they are dealing with a westerner.

What Koreans ask is "In what year of your life are you?"

Newborn is 1 until thier first lunar new year.

Westerners ask "How many trips 'round the sun have you completed?"

Not entirely true. I do think it's a little narrow-minded to insist that the western age is the "actual" age, but the western system is actually used in other ways that don't involve westerners at all. For example, an art museum that offers an admission fee waiver for those under 25 would consider the western age, not the Korean age. :)

The Arm, having said that, I used to wonder how it was that Koreans couldn't figure out their western age within two seconds before I came to Korea, but now that I'm used to telling people my Korean age, it takes me a little while sometimes to remember the other number, especially now that I've had another birthday pass. Just thought I'd share that. :)

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #575 on: January 22, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »
Today was my last session with The Only Class I Hate and it got canceled YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!

As of 2:30 PM, I will be out the door and on my way to dipsoluscious vacation!

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #576 on: January 22, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »
Bi Bi Chicken! Bi Bi Chicken! XD

Friday! Beers, chicken and a glorious 8 straight hours of gaming into the wee hours! :D

I can smell vacation... It's so close!

Today I make pancakes for all the teachers, because today is my happy day :D

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #577 on: January 22, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »
Today, I spent about an hour sitting across the table from a very pretty Korean lady. It occurred to me that I was not admiring her as a potential mate, but as I would a piece of art. Then it occurred to me that this was as it should be, since the form she was presenting was not an expression of her genetic heritage, but the results of the skill of a very talented plastic surgeon.

Yours in patronage of the arts,

jnm

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #578 on: February 05, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »
I've survived a week of deskwarming.  I have to plan "just in case" lessons, just in case any homeroom teachers want me to teach a lesson  between now and graduation.  Our teacher's room is so cold, I see many Korean teachers huddled by the heater throughout the day.  So ready for spring and a new school year.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #579 on: February 05, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »
Finally! It's arrived, the last day of school.  Now some graduation ceremony.  I don't see the point, I never had a graduation ceremony at the end of primary school.  Then a last lunch with the teachers, sigh.  And then the teachers all spread throughout the city to keep an eye out for the little monsters so they don't get up to too much mischief while celebrating the end of school.  No booze and hookers for you little grade 6er's!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment