September 25, 2017, 04:55:59 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356454 times)

Offline m.kaczor2808

• Explorer
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
As I've spent the past three days desk-warming, I've decided not to wear my usual eye-liner but instead just mascara.

Without fail, almost every single student has stopped me and said, "Teacher, no makeup?" while laughing openly...like I'm an idiot that forgot she's not allowed in public without her face caked on.

I should be used to it by now, but today for some reason, I'm boiling with anger and resentment. How is this okay?

Ugh. Rude.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #521 on: December 18, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
We had exams this week. Monday I came to school at 8:10, like always. The teachers' assistant gave me the keys to the classroom. I looked at the exams schedule. Lunch would be at 12:30. None of the other teachers had arrived yet because exams start late so they all come late.

I went to the classroom. I opened up a couple hot packs because I know that I can't turn on the heater when no students are in the room. I sat in the cold. I wrote in my journal. I reorganized and catalogued my lessons folder. I read a book. I did pushups. I planned a scavenger hunt for winter camp.

The bell rings. It's 12:30. Time for lunch. There are about 10 students in the lunch room and no teachers. I'm late. One test was rescheduled, lunch started at 11:40. All of the meat has been given away or thrown out. I eat purple rice, kimchi, and 미역국. The lunch lady hands me a package of 김 to eat with my purple rice as an apology.

I can go home at 4:30. I was told that I had to stay until my usual time on exam days even when the other teachers go home. All of the other teachers have left. It's 1:00. I go back to the classroom.

I do more pushups. I walk around in circles to stay warm. I write more in a journal. I balance my home budget. I watch two episodes of Louie. I make themed templates for worksheets and powerpoint presentations for the first 5 lessons of the book I'm using next year.

It's 4:30, I can go home. There are no students here. I can't see any teachers here. I wonder if the teacher's room will be locked. I can see from across the hall that the lights are off. I feel angry that I have to sit alone in the cold while everybody else gets to leave. What will I do with the classroom key if the teacher's room is locked?

It's not locked. I open the door, startling the teachers' assistant who had fallen asleep, alone, in the teacher's room. I guess I'm not the only one who had to sit alone in the cold.

I read this like a short story, very well written  :smiley:

Offline benteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #522 on: December 18, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
I feel like someone tells me I look tired once a day, be it a student or a teacher. That's wearing thin.

There's a group of kids in my high school who are being disciplined, I'm not sure why. But they're always around the teacher's office for the first 2 or 3 hours of the day and the door is left open. The heater is on. I'm flabbergasted why this happens and why no one tells the students or the disciplining teacher to close the door as all the heat escapes.

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #523 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »
Sent a group of troublemakers out of class to go get their books and pencils, twice. The second time they never came back. Probably bad that I enjoyed them not being in class.

Also, I love my coteachers. They're actually really nice, lovely ladies. Too bad neither one is likely to be here next year. Then again, I decided not to renew either, so not like it matters.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #524 on: December 18, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
I feel like someone tells me I look tired once a day, be it a student or a teacher. That's wearing thin.

There's a group of kids in my high school who are being disciplined, I'm not sure why. But they're always around the teacher's office for the first 2 or 3 hours of the day and the door is left open. The heater is on. I'm flabbergasted why this happens and why no one tells the students or the disciplining teacher to close the door as all the heat escapes.

i work with another foreign teacher and actually he often comments about 'wow you look really awful today, dude' or 'wow, are you tired? you look really, really tired' and i just want to say

shut. the. ****. up.

but i can't because of what is socially acceptable and what not

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #525 on: December 18, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
My classes at my morning school are done and I don't have to go to my afternoon school so I can go home! ;D

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #526 on: December 18, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
I got to school at 7:30 and turned the heater on in my classroom before any of the admin staff got to school, and it is still going strong.  8) I also found out that all of my classes were cancelled with the exception of 5th period. Prurrdy good  ;D

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #527 on: December 18, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »
We had exams this week. Monday I came to school at 8:10, like always. The teachers' assistant gave me the keys to the classroom. I looked at the exams schedule. Lunch would be at 12:30. None of the other teachers had arrived yet because exams start late so they all come late.

I went to the classroom. I opened up a couple hot packs because I know that I can't turn on the heater when no students are in the room. I sat in the cold. I wrote in my journal. I reorganized and catalogued my lessons folder. I read a book. I did pushups. I planned a scavenger hunt for winter camp.

The bell rings. It's 12:30. Time for lunch. There are about 10 students in the lunch room and no teachers. I'm late. One test was rescheduled, lunch started at 11:40. All of the meat has been given away or thrown out. I eat purple rice, kimchi, and 미역국. The lunch lady hands me a package of 김 to eat with my purple rice as an apology.

I can go home at 4:30. I was told that I had to stay until my usual time on exam days even when the other teachers go home. All of the other teachers have left. It's 1:00. I go back to the classroom.

I do more pushups. I walk around in circles to stay warm. I write more in a journal. I balance my home budget. I watch two episodes of Louie. I make themed templates for worksheets and powerpoint presentations for the first 5 lessons of the book I'm using next year.

It's 4:30, I can go home. There are no students here. I can't see any teachers here. I wonder if the teacher's room will be locked. I can see from across the hall that the lights are off. I feel angry that I have to sit alone in the cold while everybody else gets to leave. What will I do with the classroom key if the teacher's room is locked?

It's not locked. I open the door, startling the teachers' assistant who had fallen asleep, alone, in the teacher's room. I guess I'm not the only one who had to sit alone in the cold.

Your cadence and rhythm remind me of

Very entertaining web series if I may say. 
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #528 on: December 18, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
At my small elementary school today.  The third grade teacher had her students make me Christmas cards.  I don't even teach her kids.  I was pleasantly surprised.    :smiley:

Offline nermal

• Veteran
« Reply #529 on: December 18, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
Wintertime. Springtime. Summertime. Fall...? Autumn...?

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #530 on: December 18, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
Wintertime. Springtime. Summertime. Fall...? Autumn...?

Truly a "timeless" season!

Offline Chewster

• Adventurer
  • Straight Illin'
« Reply #531 on: December 18, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »

i work with another foreign teacher and actually he often comments about 'wow you look really awful today, dude' or 'wow, are you tired? you look really, really tired' and i just want to say

shut. the. ****. up.

He sounds thoroughly Koreanized. Try headphones in the office. That way, people have to go out of their way to talk to you. That's what I used to do before I got my own office.

I once had a waygook coworker who would talk at me as I was listening to music. Like, I would come in before class with my music playing, sit down and begin to eat my lunch without looking over and he'd start in about something, usually complaining. It was obvious I wasn't paying attention because I couldn't hear him and he would just look at me and have conversations in the hopes that I would look up. It was thoroughly strange.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #532 on: December 18, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »

shut. the. ****. up.

He sounds thoroughly Koreanized. Try headphones in the office. That way, people have to go out of their way to talk to you. That's what I used to do before I got my own office.

I once had a waygook coworker who would talk at me as I was listening to music. Like, I would come in before class with my music playing, sit down and begin to eat my lunch without looking over and he'd start in about something, usually complaining. It was obvious I wasn't paying attention because I couldn't hear him and he would just look at me and have conversations in the hopes that I would look up. It was thoroughly strange.
i think we are talking about the same person

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #533 on: December 18, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
For the "you look tired" line, I usually just use the excuse "my neighbors where fighting" or "some drunk guy was yelling at 3am and woke me up" but of course I have a long list of excuses, since you know telling the truth is so valued here.

Also for the first time since I was 3 years old I've just shat my self.  Thanks to the school dinner last night and the pig slop that we where eating. Thank crap I keep a spare set of clothes at school after a year 1 last year threw up their kimchi on me.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #534 on: December 18, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
Also for the first time since I was 3 years old I've just shat my self.  Thanks to the school dinner last night and the pig slop that we where eating. Thank crap I keep a spare set of clothes at school after a year 1 last year threw up their kimchi on me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you try to fart on an upset stomach, but were a little too ambitious?

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #535 on: December 18, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
For the "you look tired" line, I usually just use the excuse "my neighbors where fighting" or "some drunk guy was yelling at 3am and woke me up" but of course I have a long list of excuses, since you know telling the truth is so valued here.

Damn, sorry to hear that! I hope it wasn't during class.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #536 on: December 18, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
It wasn't even a fart. I went to great lengths last night to eat as little as I could because this place is, a little unhygienic at best, but I couldn't avoid everything. I even had a little pile of food I took and then hid under the table.

I was just in the teachers room  alone, and it just came out. The students are all gone, the teachers where in some sort of "don't be a pedo" training, and so I got out of it as perfectly as I could.

Normally I only attend every second school dinner and make an excuse for the other, but now I think I'm going to be busy all the time.... Just not worth it.

Offline Chewster

• Adventurer
  • Straight Illin'
« Reply #537 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
The students are all gone, the teachers where in some sort of "don't be a pedo" training, and so I got out of it as perfectly as I could.

This made me laugh out loud. Congrats. You win for today.

You'll have to pat yourself on the back for me though.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #538 on: December 18, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
Sorry, right now I just don't feel it  >:(

I'm going to be angry for at least another day.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #539 on: December 18, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
student and teacher are literally fighting and 3 teachers came in and tackled the boy.

Burning Friday everyone!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment