September 27, 2017, 03:18:38 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357724 times)

Offline sonny

• Veteran
  • Simply Stunning
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #460 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
One of my students went to sleep during the midterm. Took off her glasses, folded her jacket on top of her exam, and passed out.

When her friends woke her up, she threw the test paper at me. Like, actually threw it. Her friends were shocked!

I just looked at her, pushed the offending paper into the pile, and said, "So, I guess you don't need that college recommendation letter you asked for?"

I've only interacted with her a handful of times (because she's always skipping class) but she's always been nice to me and I to her. Strange. Too bad she's getting a zero on the test.
Sounds like a cry for help if you ask me. That kind of irregular, rash behaviour from an otherwise level-headed, kind girl is probably the result of some serious issues in her life. Either way, that's really sad.
A kid I knew when I was in highschool stood up, ripped up his exam and swore loudly before leaving. Dropped out of school and then joined the army (2 years later). He's happy now, but he had a tonne of problems before that exam moment.

She is under a considerable amount of pressure, true, but she also has a history of getting angry at teachers who try to "make" her do things. I think she was being sweet towards me because she wanted that essay; other foreign teachers have turned her down because she rarely attends class (not unusual) and occasionally will sneak up on them in the cafeteria and get angry because she's failing their class that she never attends or turns in any work for.

It's $16K USD to attend this program; she may just be a spoiled brat. But you raise a good point, and I'll talk to her head teacher to see if anything is going on.

She sounds like a douche.
Eat. Pray. Love. Travel. = My life

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #461 on: November 20, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
I just gave out the harshest punishment I've ever given to my students. I'm not proud of it, but they've received countless warnings and numerous lighter punishments in the past for blatantly having conversations while I'm speaking.

The students need to write out "I need to show more respect" in Korean and English 180 times.
Originally the punishments was 80 times. After I'd had enough of warning them for their behaviour I stopped the lesson, and told them to write their lines, in silence. I couldn't believe how thick some of the students were, my CT translated my instructions,  and every time a student decided to talk to their friend, while doing the punishment, I added an extra 10 to the total. Thankfully, a few students were getting incredibly annoyed with their peers for constantly talking and adding to the total. I'm certain the total would've gone higher if they weren't saved by the bell.

Their instructions are to finish the remainder for homework. Again, I'm really concerned since it seems, even at 13 years of age, many students have a hard time grasping the concept that there are consequences for their bad behaviour. Either that or they're masochists who don't care how their behaviour affects others.

Offline chris0206

• Veteran
« Reply #462 on: November 20, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
Why do doors open inward in all the public buildings here?  Do they not understand this is a massive fire hazard??? :huh:

A bunch of building codes in the US were reformed after the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire for that exact reason.  When it happened, "most of the doors [to the building] were locked and those that were not locked only opened inwards and were effectively held shut by the onrush of workers escaping the fire."

I only know about banks and not other buildings.  But I have been told by numerous people that they open inwards to stop people pushing the door open and getting away quicker if they steal someones money or card from the atm or teller.  As you have to stop and pull the door towards you it would allow people to catch you before you got away.  Maybe its the same principle for all government buildings.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #463 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
I have a 5th grade class of 10 students.  I would like to slap 4 of them.  Hard.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:51:15 PM by denimdaze »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #464 on: November 20, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
Why do doors open inward in all the public buildings here?  Do they not understand this is a massive fire hazard??? :huh:

... I have been told by numerous people that they open inwards to stop people pushing the door open and getting away quicker ...

Also many doors here open onto sidewalks (a.k.a. parking areas).

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #465 on: November 20, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »

A bunch of building codes in the US were reformed after the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire for that exact reason.  When it happened, "most of the doors [to the building] were locked and those that were not locked only opened inwards and were effectively held shut by the onrush of workers escaping the fire."

I only know about banks and not other buildings.  But I have been told by numerous people that they open inwards to stop people pushing the door open and getting away quicker if they steal someones money or card from the atm or teller.  As you have to stop and pull the door towards you it would allow people to catch you before you got away.  Maybe its the same principle for all government buildings.

Interesting, and logical enough.

But added bonus: in case of emergency, also ensnared by death.  :evil:

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #466 on: November 20, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
Looking at the calendar, I see it's only about 4 1/2 weeks until winter vacation.  It'll probably feel like 6 months to get here.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #467 on: November 20, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
saw some kid getting beat up today. im sure it happens a lot more often but it was the first time I actually saw it and had to step in to stop it.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #468 on: November 20, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
My co-worker is having a meltdown because she has more paperwork than I do. She harbors some kind of deep resentment towards me for it.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

YoungMin

« Reply #469 on: November 20, 2015, 05:03:07 PM »
Where has the banter gone on waygook?

Can't post without getting a smack on the bottom.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #470 on: November 20, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
My co-worker is having a meltdown because she has more paperwork than I do. She harbors some kind of deep resentment towards me for it.

Tell her you have more live thousands of miles from your family and friends than she does.

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #471 on: November 20, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
Two kids (grade four) were rough housing before I went to the bathroom. I told them to stop and proceeded with my business.
When I came outside there was a small crowd formed as one boy had smacked his head hard enough to cause it to bleed. The other kids were panicking and making matters way worse, to the extent where the kid who (probably) knocked him down grabbed him to console him and ended up getting blood all over his shirt. He felt REALLY guilty. I was freaking out and sent kids to find their homeroom teacher and asked another to call the nurse.
The homeroom teacher shows up, laughs it off and walks him to the nurse's office. All well and good! A load off my chest, at least.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #472 on: November 20, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »

So how are you? What's going on this weekend?

Pray that this qualifies as pointless rambling........
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

YoungMin

« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »

So how are you? What's going on this weekend?

Pray that this qualifies as pointless rambling........

Don't risk it son. Appreciate the banter though.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #474 on: November 23, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
I got married in a wedding hall here in Korea, and it was definitely an experience! I am the opposite of the "bridezilla" type, although I do wish I could have chosen the music and flowers... They played a lot of Enya and the theme from Forrest Gump... So tacky. The music they played when my husband walked in was hilarious (think "Final Countdown" or something similar :laugh:). When we did that ridiculous fake cake-cutting thing, they played that Korean "Congratulations" song for like 2 seconds. There is video of me lol'ing at that moment.

Overall, it was a pretty stress-free day for the exact reason several people have brought up: No one gives a shit. They just want to eat and leave. Sad, and extremely tacky, but I didn't want to spend loads of money on a Western-style wedding.

Final Countdown?? I would of loved to have that. I walked down the isle to Pirates of the Caribbean. Did you do Paebaek (spelling?) That was definitely a memorable time. Pertaining to the wedding, I have come to terms with it just being a face thing for her family. My parents and brother sat there most of the time with a wtf face. Everyone enjoyed it but it took awhile to comprehend the light show and music selections. Overall it was a silly ceremony and I plan on having another one once I get back to the states so it can actually mean a little something more to me.

I forgot to respond to this! We did do the Paebaek ceremony. It was interesting, but to be honest, it still felt like it was just part of the whole circus of a wedding hall wedding. Just a photo op; they went through it as quickly as possible and it felt like a cheapened version of what it originally was.

Someone mentioned the cost of these weddings... For me, it was definitely less than a Western-style wedding would have been. I'm not sure about the actual calculations, but I think we pretty much broke even because of the extra money from the guests (not everyone pays the minimum amount for the buffet). Maybe other Korean couples who want all the "fancy" extras end up paying a lot more? (Example: we opted out of the thing where two weirdos hold up plastic swords that the bride and groom walk under, as well as those cheap-ass party-popper streamer things that they have at the end. Those would have been an extra 200,000!! Ridiculous.)

It was a really fun day, despite how absurd the whole thing was.  :P

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #475 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
On Friday night I found out a student in my school raped a girl. I feel shocked and upset. I hope the girl gets justice.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #476 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »
On Friday night I found out a student in my school raped a girl. I feel shocked and upset. I hope the girl gets justice.
:-[ that's so horrible! What a terrible thing to find out about one of your students

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #477 on: November 23, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »

Holy shit. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #478 on: November 23, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »

That's awful.  Was the girl also a student at your school?

I'm not sure what rape reporting procedures are like here, but I'd imagine it's pretty shaming for the victim.  My cousin was raped on her uni campus back in the states last Halloween, and didn't press charges because her name would go on the case and would be published publicly.  The final straw though was seeing him on campus this past Halloween again (he's banned from it) and finding out he'd raped 6 other girls in the last year, recently including one of her own sorority sisters.  They're all banding together and reporting as a group, but yeah alone she felt pretty powerless and singled out.  The cops also still talk to them as if they're possibly lying, which made it even shittier.  Talk about an uphill battle... :sad:

I hope the girl gets the justice she deserves.  How horrible for the male student to be doing that at this age.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #479 on: November 23, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »

That is terrible. I am sure you feel quite sad and have a kind of strange feeling in your gut at the same time. I really hope the girl and the family get justice. As far as things like that go in Korea, I don't think the boy will get much hard punishment, sadly. The boy's family will probably negotiate 'blood money' with the family and go from there. Also, hopefully the girl wants to try to press charges. Damn... It is kind of sad how lax some things are here. A Korean friend of mine here was raped and murdered by a taxi driver in Daegu a couple of years ago. That was a horrible time in itself, but made even worse when the murderer didn't get a hard enough punishment. The last that I heard, he was likely to do under 10 years for it. A damn shame.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment