November 19, 2017, 08:24:55 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402642 times)

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »
I've heard a different opinion about it, from my GF and her friends. I ahd the same opinion after attending one of her friend's wedding, and she told me that the ceremony itself is kind of just for show. The rest of the time, the honeymoon, the ceremony with the parents (wearing Hanbok and what have youe) and the time spent with friends and family beforehand, are all much more valuable for memories. Basically, the wedding is just the drop of the roller coaster, and everything else is the fun leading up to it or the exciting ride thereafter.

this ceremony with the parents you're talking about is called 폐백. some couples still do it but the tradition is dying out. nowadays a lot - maybe even the majority - of korean weddings are just that main ceremony with the bubbles you see.

the reason is because 폐백 costs extra. wedding companies charge more for it, and of course there are hanboks costs etc. and with the costs of weddings sky-rocketing these days, couples are choosing to focus on the most important part of the wedding - the part that makes them look good to everyone else.
That's just sad, because it is really the only unique part of the wedding culture here (besides the ceremony being a soulless money grabbing event where everyone used their cellphone).
Weddings in general tend to suck, I hope mine won't!

this is just what i've heard anyway .... got no statistics or anything to back that up. but i wouldn't be surprised if it's true. so many couples here are under such extreme pressure to spend millions of Won of their wedding ceremonies that i wouldn't be surprised if they try to cut costs in other areas.

i think also some couples just choose not to do it because they think it's unnecessary. that was the case with an ex-coteacher of mine. i asked her if she did that and she said, "why would we do that, it's old-fashioned. we already have one ceremony, why do need another one?". her family was pretty rich and i gather that her boyfriend's family was loaded as well, so they could have easily afforded it.

in the modern world it seems a lot of korean traditions are dying off or just seen as unnecessary now. this blog post is from a foreigner who had a full-on traditional korean wedding - not just  폐백 but the WHOLE HOG. and in she talks about how so many people didn't even know what to do or what was going on because everyone's forgotten what a traditional korean wedding entails: http://www.mykoreanhusband.com/my-traditional-korean-wedding/

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
Most classes cancelled...

Class with principal cancelled because one of my favourite students tried to commit suicide  :sad:

The rest were cancelled due to tests...

Very hard to feel happy about having a free when one of my favourite kids is in hospital...
Saying a prayer and praying your student will be okay!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
Woo Friday! Busan tomorrow!

However...

How is it that 90% of my students never seem to have a bloody pen!? I always do something where they need to write or draw or something!  I can't provide everyone with a pen. There are always one or two keeners who have a whole pencil case and notebook and so on but it takes so much time away from class when I have them all asking their one friend with a pencil case to lend them something to write with.... I am desperately to find games that they would enjoy, but they would enjoy them much more if they were ready for class

It is supposed to rain tomorrow...sorry. I was thinking about going to the lantern thing at 청계천, but it will start raining around 7. Anyway, yep, that damn pencil thing...I just don't understand. "Oh snap, I have English coming up, do I need a pencil?..Maaaybe...Nah, why would I need a pencil in English? Silly me."
I don't need sunshine for shopping  :wink:  No beaches or anything haha inside activities only

And right?! Like do they never bring a pencil? Surely math class they bring one? Where did it go? did you eat it?  :huh:

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
I teach MS. I can't say more, as I believe it might be too easy to link the comment to the school if I do.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really get along well with my after school kids and it was a kid that I would never have expected to be feeling so depressed.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »
I got married in a wedding hall here in Korea, and it was definitely an experience! I am the opposite of the "bridezilla" type, although I do wish I could have chosen the music and flowers... They played a lot of Enya and the theme from Forrest Gump... So tacky. The music they played when my husband walked in was hilarious (think "Final Countdown" or something similar :laugh:). When we did that ridiculous fake cake-cutting thing, they played that Korean "Congratulations" song for like 2 seconds. There is video of me lol'ing at that moment.

Overall, it was a pretty stress-free day for the exact reason several people have brought up: No one gives a shit. They just want to eat and leave. Sad, and extremely tacky, but I didn't want to spend loads of money on a Western-style wedding.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
I got married in a wedding hall here in Korea, and it was definitely an experience! I am the opposite of the "bridezilla" type, although I do wish I could have chosen the music and flowers... They played a lot of Enya and the theme from Forrest Gump... So tacky. The music they played when my husband walked in was hilarious (think "Final Countdown" or something similar :laugh:). When we did that ridiculous fake cake-cutting thing, they played that Korean "Congratulations" song for like 2 seconds. There is video of me lol'ing at that moment.

Overall, it was a pretty stress-free day for the exact reason several people have brought up: No one gives a shit. They just want to eat and leave. Sad, and extremely tacky, but I didn't want to spend loads of money on a Western-style wedding.
this is why my (korean) gf and i are considering a wedding hall. i don't really care about the ceremony anyway and she seems to like the korean-styled weddings. i guess it would be weird for my dad, though, and that's the only reason i would consider a 'western' style wedding. meh.

outdoor weddings sounds nice. a friend in seoul had an outdoor wedding (it was great), but they seem expensive and hard to come across.

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »

Final Countdown?? I would of loved to have that. I walked down the isle to Pirates of the Caribbean. Did you do Paebaek (spelling?) That was definitely a memorable time. Pertaining to the wedding, I have come to terms with it just being a face thing for her family. My parents and brother sat there most of the time with a wtf face. Everyone enjoyed it but it took awhile to comprehend the light show and music selections. Overall it was a silly ceremony and I plan on having another one once I get back to the states so it can actually mean a little something more to me.

Offline Rafiqua

• Super Waygook
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2015, 03:28:28 PM »
We had an open class today. Well my co teacher did, but she chose one of the classes that I teach to have it with. My third grade class, that I always plan and teach alone while she sits at her desk and occasionally translates something. She planned and taught the whole thing, giving me 7 minutes for an activity when I told her I needed 15 minimum.

I was so upset by the end of it, and talked to a different co teacher about how I was worried that people would think I don't do anything in my co-taught classes. The reality is that my co teacher doesn't do anything. She reassured me that it was okay, because the open class was to evaluate my co teacher and not me. I asked why wasn't one of her own classes chosen then? And she said the teachers probably wanted to see some co-teaching so thats why she chose my class.

Another co teacher asked me later how I felt about our open class and I told her the same thing. I LOVE this co teacher because she doesn't like my main co teacher and think's she's lazy and not a good teacher. She gets it. She told me she's going to talk to all the teachers who came and tell them that isn't what a typical class is like at all.  :-*

Open classes are such a sham.

Same here. It's very annoying.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »

this is why my (korean) gf and i are considering a wedding hall. i don't really care about the ceremony anyway and she seems to like the korean-styled weddings. i guess it would be weird for my dad, though, and that's the only reason i would consider a 'western' style wedding. meh.

outdoor weddings sounds nice. a friend in seoul had an outdoor wedding (it was great), but they seem expensive and hard to come across.

i find it weird so many people are saying that these wedding hall weddings are cheap. from what i've heard they are insanely expensive. maybe cheap by western standards? i dunno how much one of these wedding hall weddings actually costs.

anyway, when the famous actor Won Bin got married he had an outdoor wedding and it only cost about 1 million Won.

http://www.soompi.com/2015/06/06/total-expenses-for-won-bin-and-lee-na-youngs-secret-wedding-revealed/

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »
We had an open class today. Well my co teacher did, but she chose one of the classes that I teach to have it with. My third grade class, that I always plan and teach alone while she sits at her desk and occasionally translates something. She planned and taught the whole thing, giving me 7 minutes for an activity when I told her I needed 15 minimum.

I was so upset by the end of it, and talked to a different co teacher about how I was worried that people would think I don't do anything in my co-taught classes. The reality is that my co teacher doesn't do anything. She reassured me that it was okay, because the open class was to evaluate my co teacher and not me. I asked why wasn't one of her own classes chosen then? And she said the teachers probably wanted to see some co-teaching so thats why she chose my class.

Another co teacher asked me later how I felt about our open class and I told her the same thing. I LOVE this co teacher because she doesn't like my main co teacher and think's she's lazy and not a good teacher. She gets it. She told me she's going to talk to all the teachers who came and tell them that isn't what a typical class is like at all.  :-*

Open classes are such a sham.
Hi Ms. Brown,

Those open classes can be pretty comical.

As for your coteacher, very curious to know, has back chatting her, ever came back to haunt you?

Like elsewhere, word gets around.

Not easy to do as a principle, but I have always found it to be safer refraining from saying bad things about coteachers, especially to other coteachers.

Enjoy your weekend and hopefully warmer showers :)

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »

i find it weird so many people are saying that these wedding hall weddings are cheap. from what i've heard they are insanely expensive. maybe cheap by western standards? i dunno how much one of these wedding hall weddings actually costs.

anyway, when the famous actor Won Bin got married he had an outdoor wedding and it only cost about 1 million Won.

http://www.soompi.com/2015/06/06/total-expenses-for-won-bin-and-lee-na-youngs-secret-wedding-revealed/

Thanks. Truth be told, I have so far done 0 research. I just  figured it would be cheap... Cos you're in and out so fast? 
Anyway cheers for the link

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
cost of weddings seems to vary wildly. this article is pretty good at giving what i think is an accurate average cost: http://www.rjkoehler.com/2012/03/19/how-much-does-it-cost-on-average-for-a-wedding-in-south-korea/

this reddit thread talks about wedding costs too. some very different numbers given here. apparently you have to buy a whole bunch of expensive stuff for your in-laws as gifts, which can really drive up the cost: https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/2a16ey/what_makes_korean_weddings_so_insanely_expensive/

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
I hate that another teacher uses my classroom when I'm not there as she lets the students near my desk and computer, which I never do. I'm not at that school on Tuesdays and I came in Wednesday to find my candy drawer open and empty. Also I left my bus pass there on Monday by mistake and that's gone too. Little b*******  :evil:

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
Oh, I'd rage about that.
Ya get your hand cut off in some parts of the world for stealin. 
Check those, fools.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #454 on: November 13, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
Why do doors open inward in all the public buildings here?  Do they not understand this is a massive fire hazard??? :huh:

A bunch of building codes in the US were reformed after the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire for that exact reason.  When it happened, "most of the doors [to the building] were locked and those that were not locked only opened inwards and were effectively held shut by the onrush of workers escaping the fire."

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #455 on: November 20, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
I was doing an Afterschool lesson on food and past tense, so I showed a video of Gordon Ramsay making a Raspberry Millefeuille.

"Teacher, man looks like Tony Stark, but older."

Only in Korea can Gordon Ramsay look like Robert Downey Jr.........................

For the interested................ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_EaR9nJHvE

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #456 on: November 20, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
One of my students went to sleep during the midterm. Took off her glasses, folded her jacket on top of her exam, and passed out.

When her friends woke her up, she threw the test paper at me. Like, actually threw it. Her friends were shocked!

I just looked at her, pushed the offending paper into the pile, and said, "So, I guess you don't need that college recommendation letter you asked for?"

I've only interacted with her a handful of times (because she's always skipping class) but she's always been nice to me and I to her. Strange. Too bad she's getting a zero on the test.

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #457 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
One of my students went to sleep during the midterm. Took off her glasses, folded her jacket on top of her exam, and passed out.

When her friends woke her up, she threw the test paper at me. Like, actually threw it. Her friends were shocked!

I just looked at her, pushed the offending paper into the pile, and said, "So, I guess you don't need that college recommendation letter you asked for?"

I've only interacted with her a handful of times (because she's always skipping class) but she's always been nice to me and I to her. Strange. Too bad she's getting a zero on the test.
Sounds like a cry for help if you ask me. That kind of irregular, rash behaviour from an otherwise level-headed, kind girl is probably the result of some serious issues in her life. Either way, that's really sad.
A kid I knew when I was in highschool stood up, ripped up his exam and swore loudly before leaving. Dropped out of school and then joined the army (2 years later). He's happy now, but he had a tonne of problems before that exam moment.

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #458 on: November 20, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
Interesting headline on the BBC:
"I didn't know she was a suicide bomber."

I guess she'd never done it before...

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #459 on: November 20, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »

Sounds like a cry for help if you ask me. That kind of irregular, rash behaviour from an otherwise level-headed, kind girl is probably the result of some serious issues in her life. Either way, that's really sad.
A kid I knew when I was in highschool stood up, ripped up his exam and swore loudly before leaving. Dropped out of school and then joined the army (2 years later). He's happy now, but he had a tonne of problems before that exam moment.

She is under a considerable amount of pressure, true, but she also has a history of getting angry at teachers who try to "make" her do things. I think she was being sweet towards me because she wanted that essay; other foreign teachers have turned her down because she rarely attends class (not unusual) and occasionally will sneak up on them in the cafeteria and get angry because she's failing their class that she never attends or turns in any work for.

It's $16K USD to attend this program; she may just be a spoiled brat. But you raise a good point, and I'll talk to her head teacher to see if anything is going on.