September 27, 2017, 03:30:50 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357738 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4300 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
Where are you going to try to preorder from?

So far you can sign up for notifications from Bestbuy, Amazon, and Gamestop.  Walmart and Target are also supposed to have preorders available but don't have alerts for when those go up. 

Gonna have it sent to someone at home if I manage to preorder one.  Fingers crossed~

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4301 on: August 18, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
So I just discovered that Kakao Talk has a special notification sound of Obama saying "Kakao Talk" from that speech he gave at Hankuk University and it has brought me so so much joy.

OMG thank you for this!!!! I just changed mine.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4302 on: August 18, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »
So I just discovered that Kakao Talk has a special notification sound of Obama saying "Kakao Talk" from that speech he gave at Hankuk University and it has brought me so so much joy.

Wanna be friends and just send nonsense so we can hear it over and over again?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4303 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Anyone been to Harry Potter World in Universal Studios Japan?  Or elsewhere?  I've never been to Universal Studios nor Disney World/Land. 

I'm keen to go next time I hit up Japan.  Never been to Osaka either and I'd like to revisit Kyoto and Hiroshima. 

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4304 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »

Wanna be friends and just send nonsense so we can hear it over and over again?

LOL, I only just saw this... Yes, we should be friends and randomly send each other messages....... I only got a couple of K msgs at the weekend so  :sad:
-A.A. Milne

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4305 on: August 21, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
LOL, I only just saw this... Yes, we should be friends and randomly send each other messages....... I only got a couple of K msgs at the weekend so  :sad:
You got a couple thousand messages over the weekend?  :huh:
Are you a movie star or some kind of celebrity? Somebody famous?
Or... could it be? ... Are you... Camden:shocked:

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4306 on: August 21, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Kakao(K) msgs..... Oh, but one day. One day I hope to be just like Camden!
-A.A. Milne

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4307 on: August 22, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Anyone been to Harry Potter World in Universal Studios Japan?  Or elsewhere?  I've never been to Universal Studios nor Disney World/Land. 

Not the Universal Studios in Osaka, but I've been to Universal Studios (including the Wizarding World of Harry Potter) in Florida twice, Disney World (Florida -- also twice), and Disneyland (once each in California, Paris, and Tokyo). They were all great but pretty expensive (although the first time I went to Universal, I had a connection who was able to get free tickets and VIP passes so we didn't have to wait in line for any of the rides, which was awesome). Also beware of huge crowds and long lines if you go during the summer/peak travel season -- if possible, I'd recommend going during a non-peak travel season (although that may be difficult/impossible if you are working as a teacher and have to follow school vacation schedules). Again, I haven't been to Universal in Osaka but I've heard from someone who went there that it's not that great (although obviously that's not to say that other people wouldn't like it). If you've never been to any of those theme parks anywhere in the world, yeah, I'd say it's worth going to at least once at the very least.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4308 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
I stopped by the bank today. When I went back to my car and opened the driver's door I looked down and saw legs!

Oops!

Guess it wasn't my car after all!

Glad I wasn't somewhere where people are afraid of car-jacking.

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #4309 on: August 22, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »

I'm keen to go next time I hit up Japan.  Never been to Osaka either and I'd like to revisit Kyoto and Hiroshima.

I've been to the one in Osaka. We skipped the rest of the park as I wasn't all that interested  haha, but it was totally worth the ticket price for the WWHP part. Definitely worth a visit if you're a Potter fan.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4310 on: August 22, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
My school replaced all the floors in the school over summer.....

...........with white / cream floor tiles .   :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4311 on: August 22, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
My school replaced all the floors in the school over summer.....

...........with white / cream floor tiles .   :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided:

Sounds noisy and scratchy that.  The chair dragging must grate.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4312 on: August 22, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

I've been to the one in Osaka. We skipped the rest of the park as I wasn't all that interested  haha, but it was totally worth the ticket price for the WWHP part. Definitely worth a visit if you're a Potter fan.

So, i'm primarily interested in WWHP, though I'm not opposed to giving the rest of the park a cursory gander.  Did you go during a really congested day?  I'm debating whether or not to get the express pass-- bit of an extra expense, though with a guaranteed timed entry ticket into WWHP.  I'm willing to scurry posthaste to the timed ticket machine but am not sure if I'm willing to leave entry up to chance, as it's my main reason for going to Universal Studios in the first place. 

Also for anyone who's been, how "crazy" does the HP Forbidden Journey ride get?  I'm fine with roller coasters in general but my friend isn't at all keen on coasters.  But I've heard it's not really a coaster?  I tried watching some videos but couldn't get a grasp on how turbulent the ride is.  And how much time did you spend in WWHP? 

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4313 on: August 22, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »
 Right before the summer began they ripped up the running track and basketball court at one of my schools. Then they laid down brick all over it leaving it higher than the rest of the field and looked pretty bad.
I thought to myself 'Wow that seems like a really bad idea'

Few weeks later I am back and all the brick has been removed and they put in normal 'track' that you would find in most places. I wonder how much that cost..... Tax dollars at work! :rolleyes: :huh: :cry:

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4314 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
So, i'm primarily interested in WWHP, though I'm not opposed to giving the rest of the park a cursory gander.  Did you go during a really congested day?  I'm debating whether or not to get the express pass-- bit of an extra expense, though with a guaranteed timed entry ticket into WWHP.  I'm willing to scurry posthaste to the timed ticket machine but am not sure if I'm willing to leave entry up to chance, as it's my main reason for going to Universal Studios in the first place. 

Also for anyone who's been, how "crazy" does the HP Forbidden Journey ride get?  I'm fine with roller coasters in general but my friend isn't at all keen on coasters.  But I've heard it's not really a coaster?  I tried watching some videos but couldn't get a grasp on how turbulent the ride is.  And how much time did you spend in WWHP?

I don't know about the one in Osaka, but at Universal Studios in Florida, they have "single rider lines" which generally tend to be very short (or sometimes no line at all, since not many people go on this line, as most people want to go on the rides with their friends/family). It's a great way to expedite your wait in line without having to splurge on an express pass, as the express pass is pretty expensive, in my opinion, if it's not a big deal for you to be separated from your friend/whoever you go with, in terms of not being able to sit next to them on the ride or maybe not even be in the same car for a particular ride. I think it's worth it; my friend and I kept using the single rider line the last time we went.

The ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is not really a rollercoaster per se; it's more like a mechanical robocoaster. It's kind of hard to describe but think of a robot spider (except with more than 8 legs), and at the end of each leg is a "car" that seats 4 people per car, and the robot spider's legs just alternate in going up and down while rotating in a circular direction. Most of the visuals are displayed in front of you throughout the ride on a huge screen. I don't think it's that intense personally (but I am the type of person who really likes intense, thrilling rides such as rollercoasters and such), but if you don't care for that, maybe it's not for you. I know someone who hates rollercoasters and he hated the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride. But personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as intense as a real rollercoaster (and not that fast in comparison, either).

I didn't really time myself the two times I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but I'd say a few hours at the very least? Maybe even longer if you decide to eat there or browse the themed shops. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:04:55 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4315 on: August 23, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
Right before the summer began they ripped up the running track and basketball court at one of my schools. Then they laid down brick all over it leaving it higher than the rest of the field and looked pretty bad.

Few weeks later I am back and all the brick has been removed and they put in normal 'track' that you would find in most places. I wonder how much that cost..... Tax dollars at work! :rolleyes: :huh: :cry:

One of my schools did this too, was it red?

Apparently the materials used for the red tracks they have here is toxic or something so they were forced to remove it.

The lack of research/planning in schools is astounding.

My school recently bought every classroom a weird cover thing that turns the normal TV into a touch screen. Nice idea but the problem is that they make the screen quite dark. So most teachers have to turn off the new super bright lights in the classroom so the students can see it. The teachers are so annoyed.

It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up wants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4316 on: August 23, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
 It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up whose relatives own electronics companieswants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4317 on: August 23, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
Frightened a child before 9:00am.  Hahahah

An admin brought her daughter to work today and told her to go to the teachers' office to say hello to everyone.  I was the first to respond with a hearty, "Hello!" in English and the surprise on her face plus subsequent running away to her mother was pretty darn funny  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4318 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »

I don't know about the one in Osaka, but at Universal Studios in Florida, they have "single rider lines" which generally tend to be very short (or sometimes no line at all, since not many people go on this line, as most people want to go on the rides with their friends/family). It's a great way to expedite your wait in line without having to splurge on an express pass, as the express pass is pretty expensive, in my opinion, if it's not a big deal for you to be separated from your friend/whoever you go with, in terms of not being able to sit next to them on the ride or maybe not even be in the same car for a particular ride. I think it's worth it; my friend and I kept using the single rider line the last time we went.

The ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is not really a rollercoaster per se; it's more like a mechanical robocoaster. It's kind of hard to describe but think of a robot spider (except with more than 8 legs), and at the end of each leg is a "car" that seats 4 people per car, and the robot spider's legs just alternate in going up and down while rotating in a circular direction. Most of the visuals are displayed in front of you throughout the ride on a huge screen. I don't think it's that intense personally (but I am the type of person who really likes intense, thrilling rides such as rollercoasters and such), but if you don't care for that, maybe it's not for you. I know someone who hates rollercoasters and he hated the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride. But personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as intense as a real rollercoaster (and not that fast in comparison, either).

I didn't really time myself the two times I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but I'd say a few hours at the very least? Maybe even longer if you decide to eat there or browse the themed shops.

All right, my friend has never even been on a roller coaster so I have no idea what tolerance levels might be, but I feel like a 4D ride wouldn't be too crazy... at any rate it's only a few minutes long so maybe he can give it a shot. 

I read that some rides in USJ have single rider lines but that they're not always open, so I guess there's a fifty fifty chance in that regard.  However, apparently WWHP is still so popular that on busy days at the park in Japan they have a "timed ticket entry" system and you can only go inside WWHP once.  You can stay as long as you want, but you can't go back in if you leave.  So most potter fans run to the timed ticket machine upon entrance to the park (it's free but tickets are limited.  You can select when to enter though).  I'd hate to make it to USJ and somehow not get entry into the actual WWHP  :lipsrsealed: which is why I'm really considering the express pass that includes guaranteed entry.  The additional cost feels ultimately silly for an attraction that should already be included regardless of crowds but... I do like guarantees. 

If I can control it, I'm thinking of getting entry into WWHP around lunchtime and spending the rest of the day there and going around the rest of the park in the morning. 

Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it!! 

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4319 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

One of my schools did this too, was it red?

Apparently the materials used for the red tracks they have here is toxic or something so they were forced to remove it.

The lack of research/planning in schools is astounding.

My school recently bought every classroom a weird cover thing that turns the normal TV into a touch screen. Nice idea but the problem is that they make the screen quite dark. So most teachers have to turn off the new super bright lights in the classroom so the students can see it. The teachers are so annoyed.

It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up wants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Yeah I know they had to remove it because of the materials being toxic. As you mentioned though the planning is horrific. Anyone with half a brain could have looked at the place and known that would be a horrible idea. Running on brick? great for your joints!

I wonder what they did with the 50 million bricks? Hope some principal got a new driveway.

JNM - Yeah they made the schools replace all the computers with Lucoms brand desktops/ mouse/ mousepad/ screens. Upgraded computers???? Barely :(.

I really hope they donated those comps. They were still in perfectly working conditions (coming from someone who hates slow comps).

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment