September 20, 2017, 12:35:16 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351373 times)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4220 on: July 20, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »
Are these people angry at each other or is that just how they talk?: A Typical Day in Korea  :laugh:

I think it was either a strange exercise routine or they were trying to establish dominance. They did that for a while and ignored a few phone calls. Then they eventually started swinging their arms and clapping (while still bouncing). After about half an hour of this they started talking about the popcorn I brought in for the kids this morning and how strange it was but it smelled good (it was microwave popcorn, I didn't know it was such a rarity). The arm flailing calmed down then they sat down at their desks and started doing their work(?).

It was a very strange occurrence.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4221 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »
The teacher sitting next to me just burst into song without any warning. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4222 on: July 20, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »

My sympathies.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4223 on: July 20, 2017, 06:15:06 PM »
Finally! I got to inflict 떡 onto to everyone else (a snack I am not a fan of).  But I did feel a little like Santa, going around and giving rice cake to all the teachers and staff.   mwhahahahahahaha ... 'twas nice.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4224 on: July 20, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
Finally! I got to inflict 떡 onto to everyone else (a snack I am not a fan of).  But I did feel a little like Santa, going around and giving rice cake to all the teachers and staff.   mwhahahahahahaha ... 'twas nice.

Did you just get married / have a child / have a child reach 100 days of age?

If so, good job. And congratulations.

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4225 on: July 20, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »

C.

Nicely guessed (I did leave out that info didn't I?) Yes, child made to 100 days without incident. 

Thank you and thanks.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4226 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

This is awesome. I wish the world around me would do that sometimes.  You know, like an 80's movie, where people randomly start dancing and singing at just the right moment...... I would probably understand life better if this happened more often.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4227 on: July 21, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
I have so much to do today. Prepping for camp. I have just spent 2 hours on the internet taking quizzes to see which of Ted Mosby's girlfriends I am and which breed of dog I should adopt etc etc I can't stop.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4228 on: July 21, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

C.

Nicely guessed (I did leave out that info didn't I?) Yes, child made to 100 days without incident. 

Thank you and thanks.

C. C is for 'Congratulations!' My baby girl just popped out on Sunday. We had a couple days in he hospital and we had booked a joriwon to transition directly into, but when we called them after the birth they said there was no space and we had to wait two days. We spent two days at home, one with the mother-in-law (which was nice, in our case) and one without, and I must say, one infant is much harder than a room full of sixth graders. ("Nobody knew raising a kid was so hard!") We're in the joriwon now and happy to be there. But 100 days without incident; that's Certainly Cause for Celebration! D. D is for 'Deok.' Ddeok the system!

콩그레츄레이숀!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:53:46 PM by donovan »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4229 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
Congratulations to the new daddies. Be sure to tease your kids like dad champs.

In other news, what I wouldn't give for a savory, non-sweet burrito right now. I realize I could try making my own, but they never turn out right for me. Anyone have any referrels for where I can find a good one anywhere in Korea?

I don't care where I got to go for one, I'll make a day-trip out of it.

Offline wanderlust8

• Adventurer
« Reply #4230 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

In other news, what I wouldn't give for a savory, non-sweet burrito right now. I realize I could try making my own, but they never turn out right for me. Anyone have any referrels for where I can find a good one anywhere in Korea?

Have you tried Coreanos? I've heard amazing things.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4231 on: July 21, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »

Nope, but I think I remember reading about it a while back, and so I'm sticking it on my list.

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4232 on: July 21, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »

C.

Thank you and thanks.

C. C is for 'Congratulations!' My baby girl just popped out on Sunday. We had a couple days in he hospital and we had booked a joriwon to transition directly into, but when we called them after the birth they said there was no space and we had to wait two days. We spent two days at home, one with the mother-in-law (which was nice, in our case) and one without, and I must say, one infant is much harder than a room full of sixth graders. ("Nobody knew raising a kid was so hard!") We're in the joriwon now and happy to be there. But 100 days without incident; that's Certainly Cause for Celebration! D. D is for 'Deok.' Ddeok the system!

콩그레츄레이숀!

C right back at ya Donovan! YAY.  Happy and healthy with all appendages accounted for one hopes.  How's the wife recovering? Don't forget about her with all the ogling of the new young'un.  Well done and good luck.  Oh yeh, they're tricky little blighters some times, but when those eyes finally focus on you, and that smile comes and it's finally not just gas.... yeh, that's worth it. 

Joriwon was good for us, up until about day 10, when the wife had had enough and just wanted out! Hope it works for you guys.  Make sure that other thread about having kids is updated (didn't you start that anyhow?)

You better believe I will.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4233 on: July 21, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »

I have heard good things about Gringos and their burritos. I am also getting pumped up because Villa Guerrero looks like it might be what I am looking for...Taqueria anyone? Yes, please.

This is all I could really find when I googled it. Not meaning to share a blog. I originally found it via the Mangoplate app (one of the top places)...I am set on trying one tomorrow.
http://www.afatgirlsfoodguide.com/2015/06/11/villa-guerrero/

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4234 on: July 21, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »

Nope, but I think I remember reading about it a while back, and so I'm sticking it on my list.

Coreanos is pretty good.  I've only been there once but I believe it's more of the mexi-fusion variety.  Tried the galbi burrito and enjoyed it. 

Had a stellar pulled pork taco at Gusto Taco.  After a bite I just sat back and savored the flavors.  They also make their own queso (def try some nachos if you go).  I can't wait to go back the next time I'm up in Seoul.  Haven't tried their burritos but if the foods I had are any indication, I'm sure it's a treat. 

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4235 on: July 21, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »

Coreanos is pretty good.  I've only been there once but I believe it's more of the mexi-fusion variety.  Tried the galbi burrito and enjoyed it. 

Had a stellar pulled pork taco at Gusto Taco.  After a bite I just sat back and savored the flavors.  They also make their own queso (def try some nachos if you go).  I can't wait to go back the next time I'm up in Seoul.  Haven't tried their burritos but if the foods I had are any indication, I'm sure it's a treat.

Coreanos is the place to go for a burrito. You're going to get a cali-mex style flavour log and it'll be awesome and huge. Do not go to the Doota location. The Apgujeong one is the best. Gusto Taco is junk, in my opinion, but lots of people like it, so I'm definitely in the minority.

If you want legit Mexican Mexican, go to Paco Loco which is right by Magpie in Noksapyeong. For me, it's easily the best Mexican food. Opinions will vary. Don't order a burrito there, though. Their burritos aren't great.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4236 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »

Coreanos is the place to go for a burrito. You're going to get a cali-mex style flavour log and it'll be awesome and huge. Do not go to the Doota location. The Apgujeong one is the best. Gusto Taco is junk, in my opinion, but lots of people like it, so I'm definitely in the minority.

If you want legit Mexican Mexican, go to Paco Loco which is right by Magpie in Noksapyeong. For me, it's easily the best Mexican food. Opinions will vary. Don't order a burrito there, though. Their burritos aren't great.

Don't knock my junk, man.  Delicious junk.

For me, I also think chips are an important part of a Mexican restaurant.  Coreanos' chips and salsa sauces disappointed me.  I really dug the chips in the nachos at Gusto Taco though.  But they don't give you complimentary chips/salsa. 

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4237 on: July 21, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »

Don't knock my junk, man.  Delicious junk.

For me, I also think chips are an important part of a Mexican restaurant.  Coreanos' chips and salsa sauces disappointed me.  I really dug the chips in the nachos at Gusto Taco though.  But they don't give you complimentary chips/salsa.

I know - lots of people love Gusto. Every time I go I'm like "Uhh. That wasn't very satisfying." And I keep having to go because people love it. Ugh. Coreanos' tacos are trash, though.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4238 on: July 21, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »
Thank you all for the references. I now have my list and it will literally be my mission during one of my vacation days.

It's all coming together so well.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4239 on: July 21, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Thank you all for the references. I now have my list and it will literally be my mission during one of my vacation days.

It's all coming together so well.

I have absolutely no plans for the holiday. Is that good or bad? haha

My Korean friend is coming home after a couple of years in Prague. I'll wait here for him.

:afro: :afro: <----- that's us.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment