November 19, 2017, 01:40:31 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401984 times)

Offline taingray

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #420 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
A few weeks ago I got sick, undoubtedly from my co-teacher coughing directly in my face at a distance of, like, 12 inches, all day everyday for about a week when she was ill.

Last week a kid pulled off a bloody bandage from his finger and threw it on the floor. My co picked it up after class and set it on the edge of her desk. It's still sitting there.

Yesterday, same co was telling me about her love of books and how she only likes to read new books. She doesn't like libraries and won't check out used books, ever. Why? Used books just feel "too dirty" and she is "so paranoid about germs;" she even says she has a "phobia" about germs.

The absurdity would warrant some serious lolz if it didn't make me want to bang my head against the wall.

YoungMin

« Reply #421 on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
My 6th graders are civilized.  My 5th graders not so much.  Why does a year make such a difference?

4th and 5th grade are definitely the best. i dont understand how the insane wild animal 3rd graders turn into lovely 4th graders. and I'm similarly confused how the 5th graders who are always so eager to learn turn into the 6th graders that literally can hardly bare to open their mouths to speak a single sentence in class

Adolescence.

Offline Nick P

• Veteran
« Reply #422 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
QUICK! Does anyone know how to load Tmoney on a KEB Check Card (Domestic Only)?? I called the expat customer service line, navigated the menu in English, was answered in Korean, stated my purpose in English and was told in very good English "I'm sorry I cannot help you because I do not speak very much English. What is your cell phone number and we can call you back?" I told them not to worry about it and said goodbye. Man, I must have confused that "Expat Customer Service" number with "foreign Koreans who live here and are also expats who moved here from Korea to Korea and don't speak English but we do but only for no one." line. DANG

YoungMin

« Reply #423 on: October 16, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »
QUICK! Does anyone know how to load Tmoney on a KEB Check Card (Domestic Only)?? I called the expat customer service line, navigated the menu in English, was answered in Korean, stated my purpose in English and was told in very good English "I'm sorry I cannot help you because I do not speak very much English. What is your cell phone number and we can call you back?" I told them not to worry about it and said goodbye. Man, I must have confused that "Expat Customer Service" number with "foreign Koreans who live here and are also expats who moved here from Korea to Korea and don't speak English but we do but only for no one." line. DANG

Should have let them call you back.

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #424 on: October 23, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
I get to run into town for a marshmallow handoff this evening. Then I get to write a paper that is due Sunday, that I totally forgot about. And a response to some random discussion on BB. And another mini lesson thing for a different class I'm taking. And my kindergarten students are driving me up a wall.

If the kids are still being hellions next Friday, they won't get the pumpkin rice krispie treats I'm making. Yeah, I will be that b*tchy.

Got an email for an interview with a school in Japan though, so yay.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #425 on: October 23, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
I forgot to bring candy for my afterschool class today, and we're doing Halloween activities.   :huh:
I will teach them to say trick or treat for candy next week, and I will remember to bring it.

:angel:

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #426 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
I forgot to bring candy for my afterschool class today, and we're doing Halloween activities.   :huh:
I will teach them to say trick or treat for candy next week, and I will remember to bring it.

:angel:

I learned how to play mok ji ba this afternoon, while just hanging out with some of my amazing 5th graders at the gazeebo. Queue 50 intense games while randomly switching partners, jumping around celebrating, etc. etc. Was great!
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #427 on: October 23, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
Have you tried bobbing for apples with them? I've done it every year with my kids so far cause I just think they are so funny when they do it and they get a kick out of it too.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #428 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
Last Friday I taught my elementary kids "trick or treat" & gave them candy.  Today got mobbed by students in hallways chanting "trick or treat" !

I told them I had given all the candy away last week.

So ready for the weekend.   :smiley:

I should add, I'm only at this school on Fridays.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #429 on: November 06, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
I made a brew of makgeolli last weekend at the Makgeolli festival! I also helped teach some foreigners in a class on how to make makgeolli. One of the students was so appreciative. He works the electrical wiring for the Cirque De Soleil show in Jamsil so he gave the Foreign Brewing tent 10 tickets for this weekend. My GF and I are going for free. Tickets are worth about 150$ for the pair.

Life is good!

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
Korean Weddings. 
what the hell?  How do you guys mess up weddings SO bad? 
I just went to my first one, and it was as bad as people have told me they are.  If the one I went to was typical, then weddings here are meaningless ceremonies/photo ops.
  People talked during the ceremony, attended in t-shirts and sweats, everything was rushed, there was no time to speak with the bride and groom, no toasts, no speeches, no mingling, and the food was the same typical Korean food you would have expected to find at any cafeteria. The entire thing was maybe an hour and 10 minutes, tops.

I'm really puzzled as to why weddings are the way they are here. 
Koreans are super close with their families, and they like to drink. 
There literally is no better time than a wedding to get your drink on and spend time with family.

Yeah I don't get it. It's so sad. You'd think a bride would want to have a long (or at least meaningful) ceremony with her closest friends and family, and be able to plan it all out perfectly to her tastes. I asked my co teacher if she would have a wedding in a wedding hall and she said yes because it's easier. SINCE WHEN DO KOREANS MAKE ANYTHING EASY. WHY IS A WEDDING THE ONE THING THEY DONT TURN INTO A HUGE COMPLICATED ORDEAL

I asked my co teachers this once because I went to one of their weddings and I was shocked at how shite it was.

She said that the quick wedding started within the last 10/15 or so years (I can't really remember but it started fairly recently) because now many people work super long hours and sometimes over the weekends. The families miss on a more meaningful ceremony but the co workers / bosses/ friends of friends and distant family who feel obligated to attend now don't have to waste their precious free time at an all day wedding. It is pretty sad.
I've heard a different opinion about it, from my GF and her friends. I ahd the same opinion after attending one of her friend's wedding, and she told me that the ceremony itself is kind of just for show. The rest of the time, the honeymoon, the ceremony with the parents (wearing Hanbok and what have youe) and the time spent with friends and family beforehand, are all much more valuable for memories. Basically, the wedding is just the drop of the roller coaster, and everything else is the fun leading up to it or the exciting ride thereafter.
Here's the TRULY depressing thing about it. The reason why the quick wedding really caught on was it was a good way to gather a bunch of people willing to shell out a minimum 50 000 won to attend. They all get a buffet dinner and the parents of the bride and groom can make back some (or most) of the money they've spent on the wedding and on raising their kids. That's why at weddings you'll see people who really don't give a shit about being there or you hear about the groom's father's coworker who never met the groom attending. It all boils down to numbers.
The side that is romantic, and beautiful, is the side that few others see. I had the opportunity to spend a bachelor party-type event with my GF's friend's husband, and then later hangout with them all during a weekend. That seemed to be much more beautiful than the ceremony. Also, from what I understand the ceremony with the parents is a very symbolic and pretty event.
Just my two cents (FYI, this is all speculation based on what I've heard from friends. No research conducted nor am I trying to discredit anyone else).

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #431 on: November 06, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Woo Friday! Busan tomorrow!

However...

How is it that 90% of my students never seem to have a bloody pen!? I always do something where they need to write or draw or something!  I can't provide everyone with a pen. There are always one or two keeners who have a whole pencil case and notebook and so on but it takes so much time away from class when I have them all asking their one friend with a pencil case to lend them something to write with.... I am desperately to find games that they would enjoy, but they would enjoy them much more if they were ready for class

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #432 on: November 06, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
Most classes cancelled...

Class with principal cancelled because one of my favourite students tried to commit suicide  :sad:

The rest were cancelled due to tests...

Very hard to feel happy about having a free when one of my favourite kids is in hospital...

Offline twak24

• Veteran
« Reply #433 on: November 06, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
After serving a monster NINE weeks worth of notice in order to get my letter of release, today is my last day at my insanebllz hagein and I'm off back to the beautiful safety and security of cushy public school life on Monday. Going to celebrate tonight with copious amounts of cheese donkatseu and Goo-Goo ice-cream.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
Woo Friday! Busan tomorrow!

However...

How is it that 90% of my students never seem to have a bloody pen!? I always do something where they need to write or draw or something!  I can't provide everyone with a pen. There are always one or two keeners who have a whole pencil case and notebook and so on but it takes so much time away from class when I have them all asking their one friend with a pencil case to lend them something to write with.... I am desperately to find games that they would enjoy, but they would enjoy them much more if they were ready for class

It is supposed to rain tomorrow...sorry. I was thinking about going to the lantern thing at 청계천, but it will start raining around 7. Anyway, yep, that damn pencil thing...I just don't understand. "Oh snap, I have English coming up, do I need a pencil?..Maaaybe...Nah, why would I need a pencil in English? Silly me."

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
I've heard a different opinion about it, from my GF and her friends. I ahd the same opinion after attending one of her friend's wedding, and she told me that the ceremony itself is kind of just for show. The rest of the time, the honeymoon, the ceremony with the parents (wearing Hanbok and what have youe) and the time spent with friends and family beforehand, are all much more valuable for memories. Basically, the wedding is just the drop of the roller coaster, and everything else is the fun leading up to it or the exciting ride thereafter.

this ceremony with the parents you're talking about is called 폐백. some couples still do it but the tradition is dying out. nowadays a lot - maybe even the majority - of korean weddings are just that main ceremony with the bubbles you see.

the reason is because 폐백 costs extra. wedding companies charge more for it, and of course there are hanboks costs etc. and with the costs of weddings sky-rocketing these days, couples are choosing to focus on the most important part of the wedding - the part that makes them look good to everyone else.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »

Class with principal cancelled because one of my favourite students tried to commit suicide  :sad:

Very hard to feel happy about having a free when one of my favourite kids is in hospital...

Oh gosh this is horrible! I'm so sorry :( what a horrible thing to have happened. What age do you teach? terrible :(

Offline dragonsfiresoul

• Veteran
« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad (s)he was stopped. Hope (s)he gets better, both physically and emotionally... I hope you feel better too...

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »

this ceremony with the parents you're talking about is called 폐백. some couples still do it but the tradition is dying out. nowadays a lot - maybe even the majority - of korean weddings are just that main ceremony with the bubbles you see.

the reason is because 폐백 costs extra. wedding companies charge more for it, and of course there are hanboks costs etc. and with the costs of weddings sky-rocketing these days, couples are choosing to focus on the most important part of the wedding - the part that makes them look good to everyone else.
That's just sad, because it is really the only unique part of the wedding culture here (besides the ceremony being a soulless money grabbing event where everyone used their cellphone).
Weddings in general tend to suck, I hope mine won't!

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
I'm extremely pleased that my gf has absolutely no intention of have the wedding hall wedding that the parents want.  Perhaps the only time she will defy them, but I'm very happy she is in this instance.  I couldn't deal with a wedding hall.  Garden wedding would be preferred.