November 19, 2017, 02:55:59 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402522 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4120 on: July 12, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
When you want to turn on the fan in the office, do you...
1) Turn it on oscillate, assuming that others would like the air too, but which runs the risk of annoying others who do not care for the breeze, or

2) Turn it on but fix it directly on you, assuming that if others wanted the air, they would have already turned it on (unless they're running through this very scenario in their own mind simultaneously), but which runs the risk of looking selfish and inconsiderate?
Kill all the teachers and then burn down the school to avoid such issues

I think this belongs in the 'life hack' thread.

I ended up fixing it on the aisle to our backs, though slightly to my side.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4121 on: July 12, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
Officially told my school today that I'll be taking the money and leaving my little one room this year so that I can move in with my boyfriend.

I feel totally mixed though. That place has been my home for 3 years. I've also never lived with a partner before so I'm scared about that too.

Fingers crossed and wish me the best!

One thing to keep me from freaking out though...my current oneroom is 200,000 per month (they have ads outside) but my allowance is 400,000 so even if it all goes **** up with the bf then I can get something similar and still save money  :azn:

So to calm my nerves....please tell me nice stories of when you moved in with people. TIA  ;D ;D

My first several roommates were great.  Usually people say don't live with friends cause you'll end up hating each other but the opposite has been true for me. When I lived with my friends, things were all gravy. When I lived with acquaintances, I learned how lazy, dirty, and entitled people can be with communal spaces. 

Never again if I can help it.  Only 2 out of 9 roommates have been bad, though, so I consider myself fortunate.  One of my friends has been attacked by a nutter of an ex-roommate.  Now that's a horrible roommate story!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4122 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »
Are you ever on the subway and you see another foreigner and you're just like, "That is so #basedcowboy/piggydee/donovan/Pecan?"

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4123 on: July 14, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
I might only have 5 students for English camp.  This is not necessarily bad or good but kind of disappointing because I wanted more students for a relay race.   Everything else is gravy though. 

At most, there may be 11 students, but the grade 3s are really waffling on committing. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4124 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
Officially told my school today that I'll be taking the money and leaving my little one room this year so that I can move in with my boyfriend.

I feel totally mixed though. That place has been my home for 3 years. I've also never lived with a partner before so I'm scared about that too.

Fingers crossed and wish me the best!

One thing to keep me from freaking out though...my current oneroom is 200,000 per month (they have ads outside) but my allowance is 400,000 so even if it all goes **** up with the bf then I can get something similar and still save money  :azn:

So to calm my nerves....please tell me nice stories of when you moved in with people. TIA  ;D ;D

My first several roommates were great.  Usually people say don't live with friends cause you'll end up hating each other but the opposite has been true for me. When I lived with my friends, things were all gravy. When I lived with acquaintances, I learned how lazy, dirty, and entitled people can be with communal spaces. 

Never again if I can help it.  Only 2 out of 9 roommates have been bad, though, so I consider myself fortunate.  One of my friends has been attacked by a nutter of an ex-roommate.  Now that's a horrible roommate story!

I find that it's easier to live with people who are the same level of messy/clean as you. I'm moderately messy. When things get too cluttered, I'll clean up. But I have had roommates who are super clean and I feel stressed about it.

I've also have roommates who never do the dishes and wait for their mom to do it when she visits.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4125 on: July 14, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
When their mom visits....????? How often did their mom visit. I clean the dishes every day.

My gf moved in with me 1 yr ago. Hasn't always been perfect ( difficult at first because I had lived alone for 2 yrs). The biggest problem is there is no other room to go to lol. But we get along really well. Usually one stupid argument once a month, usually around the same time ( weird huh? ).

Good luck living with someone! Same level of messy and clean is a big deal IMHO!

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4126 on: July 14, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
When their mom visits....????? How often did their mom visit. I clean the dishes every day.

My gf moved in with me 1 yr ago. Hasn't always been perfect ( difficult at first because I had lived alone for 2 yrs). The biggest problem is there is no other room to go to lol. But we get along really well. Usually one stupid argument once a month, usually around the same time ( weird huh? ).

Good luck living with someone! Same level of messy and clean is a big deal IMHO!

This was freshmen year in college, so my roommates mom came every week. I lived with 3 other girls and they would literally use every plate, bowl, cup, utensil and wait for someone else to clean it. At this time I was eating all my meals at the dinner hall or student center, so there was no way in hell I was going to clean the mess they made.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4127 on: July 14, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

This was freshmen year in college, so my roommates mom came every week. I lived with 3 other girls and they would literally use every plate, bowl, cup, utensil and wait for someone else to clean it. At this time I was eating all my meals at the dinner hall or student center, so there was no way in hell I was going to clean the mess they made.

Same level of cleanliness/messiness is so important. 

I had bad roommates who would rarely ever do the dishes.  I tried asking them to clean up once in a while, then one time I waited just to see how long they'd leave them.  Got to smelling rotten and disgusting.  I don't understand how people can live like that, they were probably used to their mothers cleaning up after them all the time.  If you're not gonna get to the dishes right away, you could at least rinse off the food residue so it doesn't get nasty.

One of those bad roommates would use a cup once then throw it into the sink.  Half the sink would be full of cups after one day because of that one roommate.  It was ridiculous. 

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #4128 on: July 14, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »

Bummer! My freshman suitemates did the same, but I actually cooked in the suite a decent amount, and they had much nicer/more pots and pans than I did, so I washed their dishes, but then used them as I pleased, putting them back in the sink dirty. Only did a deep clean when they were away for more than a couple days, though.

Sadly their mothers only came to clean at the end of the year - they did manage to scrub all the spray tan off the bathroom floor though, which was a relief.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4129 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
Been with my other half for 7 years, have lived with him now for one and a half years. I am one of those people that likes my privacy and space and hates small talk. I avoided the close proximity for as long as I could really, and then came crunch time. Honestly it hasn't been bad at all. We have our arguments, mostly relating to dishes and cleaning drains. We are quite happy to be alone but together  so , I will have my headphones on watching series and he will have his on playing computer games etc.

I honestly freaked out completely when I had to move in with him. My advice, sort out who pays what. We do a 50/50 of everything. Decide whose chores are whose and what level of mess is comfortable for you both. Make a plan for "me" time, where you can have some downtime/quiet time on your own if that is what you are used to.

Good luck!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline SteveBruce

• Adventurer
« Reply #4130 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday, everyone is looking forward to the weekend, weekend

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4131 on: July 14, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
Yeah making sure the awkward info is out of the way before makes it easier to compromise and not feel pushed into anything. Who is paying what, what kinda cleaning schedule, food cost/prep, just put it all out there.

Luckily my once a week full clean of the place has worked really well. Both just clean till it's done. One person cooks and the other cleans the dishes. We have a joint account that we use for buying food or for dates.  Being on the same page really lowers the stress of living with someone. Especially so close (most of us have 1 rooms I assume).

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4132 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
Are you ever on the subway and you see another foreigner and you're just like, "That is so #basedcowboy/piggydee/donovan/Pecan?"

Of course you'd recognize me; I've revealed my most intimate parts to you. But have you ever seen me, BCS, Ms. Piggy, and Mr. Nut all on the same subway at once?

Actually, I wish you would expand on that thought and explain what behavior seemed to you donovan-like (Donovan-worthy? 8)). I thought we were all pretty tight, but then BCS posted something during my Great Shaming that made me question how well you all really know me.

When you miss the bus to your rural school that costs what feels like a week's wages to get to by taxi, so you take a taxi to a bus stop that is easy to communicate to the driver only to find out that the car is a 20-year-old stick shift that the driver doesn't even come close to knowing how to max out, and you just BARELY beat the bus to the stop when you should have been at least 10 minutes ahead of it.

It was also seriously the jerkiest ride I've experienced in Korea so far. Didn't have my dramamine to deal with it, either, and I'm still fighting off the headache that came with the motion sickness.

Shitty way to start the week off. But at least most of my classes are getting taken over by other teachers so that they can help the students review/cram for their upcoming exams.

Dear Waygook.org user Chinguetti - that sucks. I'll cheer you up! Guess which waygook.org user each of these various fictional replies is from!

1. "You should've known better. Expecting a taxi driver to somehow race a bus and then get on the bus and go to school isn't realistic. Do you think every taxi driver likes to drive fast? Do you think all taxis are brand new automatic transmissions? Just wake up a few minutes earlier and these things won't happen to you."

2. "Taxis in Korea are the best. Taxi drivers in Korea are the best. The bus system here is the best. If you don't like it, why are you here? Consider trying to understand Korea a bit better before you blindly criticize it."

3. "You must be stressed out. Would a massage help? I was partying all weekend so I'm a bit tired, but I could come over and help you relax."

4. "Dang, that sucks. I hope you get some #based relaxation time."

5. "You are SO RIGHT. Korean TAXI drivers are tHE WORsT! Next TIME one of THEM is going TOO SLoW just say PAL EE PAL EE KA JOO SAY OH PAL EE PAL EE and he might HURry UP!"

6. " :afro: :afro: :afro:

7. "Korean taxi drivers are racist!!! I was waiting for a taxi and I was constantly refused because I'm a foreigner!! All Korean taxi drivers always ignore all foreigners. Why are Korean taxi drivers so rude? In western countries, taxi drivers are respectful and professional? Why do they discriminate based on my race? I am fluent in Korean, but they pretend not to understand me! All Koreans refuse service to foreigners and treat foreigners like second-class citizens!!"

8. "I've definitely had some rough cab rides out in the country, but luckily it doesn't happen too often. My wife and I generally get lucky and our taxi drivers are pretty nice. Hope you feel better, soon!"

(Eight) was supposedly me, but that's totally Tony Teacher talk! Reading of Chinguetti's taxi tribulations now, I'm having a hard time thinking of a two-line throw-away response that is both utterly unhelpful and sufficiently clever enough to amuse myself, so I probably would have just skipped it. And I hope you would know that by now. :cry:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:09:11 PM by donovan »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4133 on: July 14, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »
Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday, everyone is looking forward to the weekend, weekend
I don't know who new waygook.org user SteveBruce is, but so far his posts are all A+ quality.

Offline SteveBruce

• Adventurer
« Reply #4134 on: July 14, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
I don't know who new waygook.org user SteveBruce is, but so far his posts are all A+ quality.

I smiled reading your kind compliments as I sipped my wonton soup ;)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4135 on: July 14, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
When it comes out later, is that wanton abandon?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4136 on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
When it comes out later, is that wanton abandon?

Much like your commentary, as you are wont to spewing?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4137 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »

#swag
#chef

#letthatboycook

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4138 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »

Am I not safe in the pointless Friday ramblings thread?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4139 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »

Am I not safe in the pointless Friday ramblings thread?

I was trying to jump on the pun train :sad: I should have used an emoticon.  No offense intended