September 21, 2017, 09:37:47 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353177 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4080 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Guess it depends what you're looking for. I have found one bakery that does amazing cinnamon rolls and SF style bagels, I found one this weekend with quite a good sourdough (that you also don't have to break the bank for), and a couple that have quite good tarts and loaves of chocolate bread.

Basically. 

There is a small place in Mokpo that has the absolute best macarons. Dunno the name but I know how to get there. Every other macaron I've ever had before that place is crap in comparison. Crisp exterior with chewy/soft inner cookie part and cream cheese based filling. Marvelous. They only sell macarons and beverages. And they often sell out of the former.

There is also a slightly hidden homemade cheesecake place in Yeonggwang that has seasonal flavors. Pretty divine. The apple mango is my favorite.

Good bakeries exist in Korea but are perhaps just harder to find amidst the glut of basic chains. I feel like it's easier to find bakeries in Japan that make goods that are particularly pleasing to my palate.

They are really hard to find, at least where I am. Anytime I see a new bakery or one I haven't been in yet, I go in, and it's basically a carbon copy of what they sell at all the other places, down to the glazed bread dubbed as pizza with fake crab, sausage, potato, and corn in the middle.

In general I'm not a big fan of sweet/sugary breads, but I do like things such as pumpkin bread, banana bread, muffins, rolls, whole wheat bread, anything with cheese and herbs. But then again, the sweet things I had in Japan were pretty good!
Yeah, all of the good bakeries I have been to were in Seoul. Last weekend I had my first ever authentic sausage roll from a British style bakery which was super tasty, and not sweet at all, but still managing to not have pizza sauce or fake crab.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4081 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
I finally made the connection that instant coffee makes my sweat smell. A lot.

Took me a while to figure this out because I don't normally sweat profusely unless I'm at the gym, and I try to avoid drinking instant coffee because the real stuff is so much better.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. Instant coffee is full of all kinds of shit.

Anyone else experience this?

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4082 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
I have only one class today, 6th period.  I''m not sure if I want to rant or rave about this, so I'll put it in the ramble post.

I'm using my time to plan activities for the free semester, and to hang out on Waygook.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4083 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
I got home at 11:30 last night and my neighbour left all the shit out for the delivery guy to pick up. There was a wrapped pack of 군만두 that he hadn't even touched, perched upon all of his dirty plates.

Free food.

Nice.

:afro:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4084 on: June 28, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
I got home at 11:30 last night and my neighbour left all the shit out for the delivery guy to pick up. There was a wrapped pack of 군만두 that he hadn't even touched, perched upon all of his dirty plates.

Free food.

Nice.

:lipsrsealed:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4085 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »

Free food.

Nice.

This should be in the lifehacks thread.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4086 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4087 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »

Free food.

Nice.

This should be in the lifehacks thread.

Literally. That's awesome.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4088 on: June 28, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4089 on: June 28, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
http://inspirobot.me/

Oh... wow. This is amazing.

Mine is just spewing its political drivel at me. Kinda like half the currently active Waygook threads.
:sad:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4090 on: June 28, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
http://inspirobot.me/

Oh... wow. This is amazing.
It truly is. I have spent a portion of my lunch break doing it.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4091 on: June 28, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
RELEASE DATE FOR SNES MINI HAS FINALLY BEEN ANNOUNCED.  I want one so badly.

Here's hoping they actually make ample units this time.  :undecided: Nintendo claims these mini retro consoles are "for the fans" but doesn't seem to care about supply meeting demand...  even though it's easy money for them. 

Man that game lineup looks great though.  It's a pretty super deal considering the old original consoles tend to be sold for upwards of $60~80 these days for the system alone without any guarantee of how much longer it'll actually live. 

Yeah, yeah, there are ways to emulate, I'm well aware, but this is way more my style.  I still have a good handful of SNES game cartridges back home but my console is dead  :sad:  If I can get one of these, I'd be so happy~ I've never camped out in front of a store before, but this is one of the few things for which I would do so without a second thought if I were back home. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15874154/nintendo-snes-classic-edition-release-date-price-announced

Problem isn't nintendo. It's all the people that are buying as many copies as they can fit in their car so they can sell them for double on Ebay.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4092 on: June 28, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
RELEASE DATE FOR SNES MINI HAS FINALLY BEEN ANNOUNCED.  I want one so badly.

Here's hoping they actually make ample units this time.  :undecided: Nintendo claims these mini retro consoles are "for the fans" but doesn't seem to care about supply meeting demand...  even though it's easy money for them. 

Man that game lineup looks great though.  It's a pretty super deal considering the old original consoles tend to be sold for upwards of $60~80 these days for the system alone without any guarantee of how much longer it'll actually live. 

Yeah, yeah, there are ways to emulate, I'm well aware, but this is way more my style.  I still have a good handful of SNES game cartridges back home but my console is dead  :sad:  If I can get one of these, I'd be so happy~ I've never camped out in front of a store before, but this is one of the few things for which I would do so without a second thought if I were back home. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15874154/nintendo-snes-classic-edition-release-date-price-announced

Problem isn't nintendo. It's all the people that are buying as many copies as they can fit in their car so they can sell them for double on Ebay.

The problem is both.  A lot of people made preorders that ended up being canceled because Nintendo decided to stop production. 

Also, there were reportedly only 2.3 million units sold/produced total worldwide.  That's not a big figure at all compared to the average console. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:32:58 PM by yirj17 »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4093 on: June 28, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4094 on: June 28, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »

Well... it didn't help that Nintendo only sold a limited number of them for a limited time. The NES mini classic edition was released and discontinued in the same year. I think it barely lasted even a half-a-year. And the reason given for this, last I read, was because Nintendo wanted its fans to focus on newer products.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:34:51 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4095 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »

Well... it didn't help that Nintendo only sold a limited number of them for a limited time. It was released and discontinued in the same year. I think it barely lasted even a half-a-year. And the reason given for this, last I read, was because Nintendo wanted its fans to focus on newer products.

Exactly.  Thank you.  The ebay prices wouldn't be nearly as high if there wasn't such a limited run.  Clearly there was far more demand than supply. 

I edited my last post, but only around 2.3 million units were even made for worldwide distribution. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4096 on: June 28, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
Also I think it's silly that Nintendo wants to focus solely on newer products when they could milk the retro for easy money.  The retail cost of an NES classic was roughly the same price as a single new game for a new console.  I don't think a prolonged production of the NES classic would have necessarily detracted too much from sales of new games.  Near everyone seemed to go nuts over the new Zelda anyway.  I myself would love to have it but I'm not gonna buy a new console just for one game. 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4097 on: June 28, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
Also I think it's silly that Nintendo wants to focus solely on newer products when they could milk the retro for easy money.  The retail cost of an NES classic was roughly the same price as a single new game for a new console.  I don't think a prolonged production of the NES classic would have necessarily detracted too much from sales of new games.  Near everyone seemed to go nuts over the new Zelda anyway.  I myself would love to have it but I'm not gonna buy a new console just for one game.

Nintendo always under produces.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4098 on: June 28, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »

Nintendo always under produces.

Seems to be that way.  I read that they were apparently surprised by how well the Switch has been selling. 

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4099 on: June 28, 2017, 04:38:14 PM »

Well... it didn't help that Nintendo only sold a limited number of them for a limited time. It was released and discontinued in the same year. I think it barely lasted even a half-a-year. And the reason given for this, last I read, was because Nintendo wanted its fans to focus on newer products.

Exactly.  Thank you.  The ebay prices wouldn't be nearly as high if there wasn't such a limited run.  Clearly there was far more demand than supply. 

I edited my last post, but only around 2.3 million units were even made for worldwide distribution.

Oh wow, that is low. I retract my previous statement. But those ebay people don't help that's for sure. I'll actually be back in the states by the end of Sept. It's tempting to wait in line for one. Then again, I'm in the market for a gaming desktop. Decisions.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment