November 24, 2017, 03:28:42 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 407648 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4080 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Chinguetti!  You dabes.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4081 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
Need some movie choices for camp.  Suggestions?  So far I nabbed "Kubo and the 2 strings" that someone posted.  I'm fine with downloading as long as I can get Korean subtitles. 

I also have Netflix now but I have no idea what all's on it that would be good for middle schoolers.  Anyone wanna spare me the effort of digging around on there?   :laugh:

Moana has been a huge hit for me.

Same for The Croods -- most Korean students have never heard of it, and some will even try to argue about it because they'll think the idea of it is stupid, but it's been the most successful film I've shown so far. They all get super into it.

Inside Out

Zootopia

Dr. Strange

The Amazing Spiderman

Coraline

Coraline is on Korean Netflix.

I generally stick with animated films because most of the students like them, even the ones who claim they don't, while the non-animated films are real hits/misses (a lot of students get bored with the build-up to the main storylines), so it really depends on how much humor, action and/or slapstick is part of the film during that build-up.

... Mean Girls is also a huge hit, but it's got a lot of inappropriate stuff, so I wouldn't suggest showing it unless you can do so on the D/L and feel that your kids are mature enough to handle it.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it.  Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

I've been meaning to get around to watching Kubo and the two strings myself, and Moana.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4082 on: July 20, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

Only 'cuz you're dabes.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it. Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

I've been meaning to get around to watching Kubo and the two strings myself, and Moana.

Yeah, my kids generally don't get really into it until the first time Coraline goes through the little door. After that they become invested in the film. The difference between liking and loving the film depends on the class and even the time of year it is.

I've found Kubo to be in the same gray area as Coraline, but my kids tend to prefer Coraline.

Yes to Lego Movie -- this is another film that a lot of my kids will scoff at but then will totally get into it once I start showing it. They all have a certain idea about what it is but don't actually know much about it. xD

And I keep getting demands for Boss Baby, too, but haven't shown it, yet, because I feel like it might be one of those hit-or-miss kind of things.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4083 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »

Only 'cuz you're dabes.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it. Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

Yeah, my kids generally don't get really into it until the first time Coraline goes through the little door. After that they become invested in the film. The difference between liking and loving the film depends on the class and even the time of year it is.

I've found Kubo to be in the same gray area as Coraline, but my kids tend to prefer Coraline.

Yes to Lego Movie -- this is another film that a lot of my kids will scoff at but then will totally get into it once I start showing it. They all have a certain idea about what it is but don't actually know much about it. xD

And I keep getting demands for Boss Baby, too, but haven't shown it, yet, because I feel like it might be one of those hit-or-miss kind of things.

Even my rowdiest kids loved Boss Baby. They all showed up to class early today so that we could start the movie sooner. I definitely recommend it.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4084 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
The VP and secretary are silently bouncing (not a full on jump) with their eyes closed,on opposite sides of the room. I don't know what's happening but there's music from Steamboat Willy (Willie?) playing in the background and I feel uncomfortable. I'm typing this as quietly as I can so as not to break their concentration.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4085 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Are these people angry at each other or is that just how they talk?: A Typical Day in Korea  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4086 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
You talk the talk, but do you 딱 the 떡?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4087 on: July 20, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
Even my rowdiest kids loved Boss Baby. They all showed up to class early today so that we could start the movie sooner. I definitely recommend it.

It shouldn't surprise me since Boss Baby has a lot of that insane humor that the kids tend to love here. But, originally, I thought a lot of the older students might think it was too weird and awkward.

The tests say it's a go, though, so I guess I'm downloading it as a future option.

Thanks for the feedback.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:55:19 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4088 on: July 20, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:11:15 PM by Chinguetti »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4089 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »

Wooooaahhhhhhhhhhh! WWIII incoming.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4090 on: July 20, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
Follow-up to the movie recommendations:

I haven't shown it myself, but KTs are reporting that the students are really enjoying Sing in their classes.

Also, Wreck-It Ralph goes over well with the students, too. The Korean name for it is something else, but I don't remember what that is. Translates to something like King Ralph or Big-Hand Ralph or whatever.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4091 on: July 20, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Follow-up to the movie recommendations:
I haven't shown it myself, but KTs are reporting that the students are really enjoying Sing in their classes.

One of the best film related channels on Youtube; I Hate Everything

The best? Ralph the Movie Maker

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:40:44 PM by CO2 »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4092 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
Ah, finally the last day of classes (unless I'm mistaken again and there are classes next Wed. but the last day of school is usually a funky schedule)!  I thought today's travel school had tests (the original schedule was for last week but ended up teaching classes that day) but turns out that was yesterday.  Good thing I double checked with that coT. 

Me:  Today is a fun day!

Students:  Ohhh no study??

Me:  Yes!  No studying today! 

Students:  Game?!? Game?!

Me:  First we'll watch a video, and then we'll play games!

Students:  YAYYYY

That kid:  Teacher!  I'm hungry! 

I'm a little obsessed with marble sodaI downloaded the video and edited out the profanity (near the middle and at the very end), so I don't advise showing it to your students as is.    One of the kids was so entranced he wrote down the title of the video.   8)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4093 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
Are these people angry at each other or is that just how they talk?: A Typical Day in Korea  :laugh:

I think it was either a strange exercise routine or they were trying to establish dominance. They did that for a while and ignored a few phone calls. Then they eventually started swinging their arms and clapping (while still bouncing). After about half an hour of this they started talking about the popcorn I brought in for the kids this morning and how strange it was but it smelled good (it was microwave popcorn, I didn't know it was such a rarity). The arm flailing calmed down then they sat down at their desks and started doing their work(?).

It was a very strange occurrence.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4094 on: July 20, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
The teacher sitting next to me just burst into song without any warning. 

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4095 on: July 20, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

My sympathies.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4096 on: July 20, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »
Finally! I got to inflict 떡 onto to everyone else (a snack I am not a fan of).  But I did feel a little like Santa, going around and giving rice cake to all the teachers and staff.   mwhahahahahahaha ... 'twas nice.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4097 on: July 20, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Finally! I got to inflict 떡 onto to everyone else (a snack I am not a fan of).  But I did feel a little like Santa, going around and giving rice cake to all the teachers and staff.   mwhahahahahahaha ... 'twas nice.

Did you just get married / have a child / have a child reach 100 days of age?

If so, good job. And congratulations.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4098 on: July 20, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

Did you just get married / have a child / have a child reach 100 days of age?

If so, good job. And congratulations.

C.

Nicely guessed (I did leave out that info didn't I?) Yes, child made to 100 days without incident. 

Thank you and thanks.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4099 on: July 20, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

This is awesome. I wish the world around me would do that sometimes.  You know, like an 80's movie, where people randomly start dancing and singing at just the right moment...... I would probably understand life better if this happened more often.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne