June 25, 2018, 12:26:23 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 707420 times)

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4080 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
 It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up whose relatives own electronics companieswants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

That's sadly probably true.

I know schools can only buy electronics and materials from approved places though, to combat this type of thing. One of my old co teachers explained to me that they wanted to buy new monitors but they were so expensive.

They could have picked them up from a local mart for half the price but the pre approved companies jack up the price.

Doesn't that just mean that the "approved places" just come from higher up.... with jacked up prices as mentioned  :rolleyes:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4081 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Doesn't that just mean that the "approved places" just come from higher up.... with jacked up prices as mentioned  :rolleyes:

Yep. Cronyism runs deep in Korea. Straight to the top as is evident from presidents past.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4082 on: August 29, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
I'm just sitting here considering that I might actually stay in Korea for another year, this year has been good so far, but I really need the ocean, but also if I move provinces it's the whole reapply to EPIK think again, and risk landing at a crap school or with a psycho nut CT. 

What I would really like is rural on the beach with a mountain in the background.... Yeah that would be good. 

Also I had to find and open this thread and I had a fleeting moment of nostalgia for "Englishrose".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:30:36 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4083 on: August 29, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
^I'm not on directly on a beach but secluded beaches are nearby (if you have a car).  Pleasant mountain backdrop pretty much anywhere you turn.  Super rural though.  Should apply for my gig, haha, I'm headed back home.  Couldn't tell ya how COTs would be, one's leaving and the other two haven't decided what they're doing yet.  The kids are great though. 

My main principal leaves tomorrow morning.  If anyone works at his next school, you are so lucky.  Hope the new one's not a tool~

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4084 on: August 29, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
^I'm not on directly on a beach but secluded beaches are nearby (if you have a car).  Pleasant mountain backdrop pretty much anywhere you turn.  Super rural though.  Should apply for my gig, haha, I'm headed back home.  Couldn't tell ya how COTs would be, one's leaving and the other two haven't decided what they're doing yet.  The kids are great though. 

My main principal leaves tomorrow morning.  If anyone works at his next school, you are so lucky.  Hope the new one's not a tool~

Well that sounds super perfect. I love super rural. Are you leaving now or in Feb?
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4085 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Well that sounds super perfect. I love super rural. Are you leaving now or in Feb?

Finish up at the end of October (I'm from one of the weird late intake periods).  I haven't heard anything about a replacement yet though.  I imagine most might not wanna hoof it on an island that's still not connected to the mainland by bridge (projected to finish late next year, I think).  The ferry ride is actually super cool and one of my favorite things, but sometimes the cancellations due to weather can be annoying.

I ended up here by chance-- in my interview I expressed interest in living in the countryside.  Some time later, my recruiter sent a mass email asking if anyone was interested in volunteering for an island school.  I myself didn't know if I wanted to be that rural so I left it up to chance and didn't volunteer but apparently nobody else did either as I got slotted in anyway lol.  Wouldn't change a thing though.  I'd stay longer if I didn't have a long distance relationship to worry about. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4086 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Well that is exactly what I am looking for, although I suppose there is only place for 1 teacher around your parts? I come in a pair....  I hear you on the long distance relationship though, been there too.
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4087 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
As someone who's lived in Seoul for and only Seoul for a long time, what's it like working and living in rural land? I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be out of an urban setting.

Do you get to know all the restaurants and shops around you? Is it boring has heck? Do you need a car? What do you... do?

Are the apartments way nicer and bigger?

Haha, I probably have some similar questions about city life (never lived in a big one before).

The scenery is real nice.  It honestly does feel like I'm living in a Miyazaki film sometimes.  There's a pleasant lack of sewage smell, though the tradeoff is farmland/manure smell during certain seasons.  The air generally seems cleaner and there are usually lovely blue skies. 

Yeah, you get to know all the restaurants pretty quickly (even if you don't dine out a lot-- teacher dinners explore most of the options).  Pretty sure there's less than 10 total in my myeon (I can only think of 7 but there might be more).  All Korean and one Chinese place (owned by a Cambodian family, if I recall correctly, though the general offerings do cater toward Korean taste).  Not even a fried chicken joint nor a convenience store (though there's a bigger island two bridges away that does have those). 

I don't think it's boring, but I like the peace and quiet.  Social butterflies would probably lose their marbles though.  If I feel like socializing, I just hit up the mainland on a weekend.  Living here does make something as simple as seeing a movie in the theatre or chilling in a cafe become a treat.  Most of my hobbies aren't affected by location though. 

I don't need a car though it would make some things easier (in terms of accessing the fried chicken and pizza joint two islands away...lol.  It's too expensive to order delivery unless you order A LOT). 

Space seems to be pretty good.  But I've never lived in a closet.  I got lucky and have my own little 2 bedroom house; most housing here is houses, some are connected (kinda like duplexes but not necessarily symmetrical in layout).  Some islands do have more apartment style lodging and they're constructing a new apartment building behind my main school as we speak. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4088 on: August 29, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
As someone who's lived in Seoul for and only Seoul for a long time, what's it like working and living in rural land? I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be out of an urban setting.

Do you get to know all the restaurants and shops around you? Is it boring has heck? Do you need a car? What do you... do?

Haha, I probably have some similar questions about city life (never lived in a big one before).

The scenery is real nice.  It honestly does feel like I'm living in a Miyazaki film sometimes.  There's a pleasant lack of sewage smell, though the tradeoff is farmland/manure smell during certain seasons.  The air generally seems cleaner and there are usually lovely blue skies. 

Yeah, you get to know all the restaurants pretty quickly (even if you don't dine out a lot-- teacher dinners explore most of the options).  Pretty sure there's less than 10 total in my myeon (I can only think of 7 but there might be more).  All Korean and one Chinese place (owned by a Cambodian family, if I recall correctly, though the general offerings do cater toward Korean taste).  Not even a fried chicken joint nor a convenience store (though there's a bigger island two bridges away that does have those). 

I don't think it's boring, but I like the peace and quiet.  Social butterflies would probably lose their marbles though.  If I feel like socializing, I just hit up the mainland on a weekend.  Living here does make something as simple as seeing a movie in the theatre or chilling in a cafe become a treat.  Most of my hobbies aren't affected by location though. 

I don't need a car though it would make some things easier (in terms of accessing the fried chicken and pizza joint two islands away...lol.  It's too expensive to order delivery unless you order A LOT). 

Space seems to be pretty good.  But I've never lived in a closet.  I got lucky and have my own little 2 bedroom house; most housing here is houses, some are connected (kinda like duplexes but not necessarily symmetrical in layout).  Some islands do have more apartment style lodging and they're constructing a new apartment building behind my main school as we speak.

Weeeeeird. I can't imagine what I'd do without convenience stores. I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. Like, if you suddenly want a beer (or some sugar poison or something, whatever) there's really no way to just walk out your door and grab something 24/7?

Do you guys have a bank? Or like... any little mart or something?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4089 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
Well that is exactly what I am looking for, although I suppose there is only place for 1 teacher around your parts? I come in a pair....  I hear you on the long distance relationship though, been there too.

Dammit, I had a post written but it disappeared into the internet ether.  I'll try to recap.  I'm the only teacher for my schools, but this past year there was a NET on a different island (Aug. intake).  If they kept to their original plan, they transferred to the mainland already.  Not sure if there's a replacement. 

A goodly number of the island teachers are married couples; they'll live in the same house but work at different schools.  If only I coulda got my bf to apply to that other school... hahah.   :P

Anywho, plenty of rural placements down in Jeollanamdo if you ever fancy applying!  There's an island called Wando that's connected to the mainland by bridge already and has a handful of NETs.  It's possible there's a couple placement somewhere in a rural area.  Yeosu is also a nice little peninsula/archipelago.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4090 on: August 29, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »

Weeeeeird. I can't imagine what I'd do without convenience stores. I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. Like, if you suddenly want a beer (or some sugar poison or something, whatever) there's really no way to just walk out your door and grab something 24/7?

Do you guys have a bank? Or like... any little mart or something?

Nope, nothing 24/7 far as I'm aware (not sure what the hours are for the lone convenience store on the other island, haven't been there often).  There is an NH bank and an adjacent NH mart.  There's also an island mart that's a little bigger.  Produce selection is pretty limited though (if you're like me and love broccoli and potatoes, anyway.  Never seen either in either mart). 

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4091 on: August 29, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
No convenience stores? No chicken "house"? No BROCCOLI?? (seriously I love broccoli)

No way. I'm kinda rural as in not smack-dab downtown but that's next level. I mean island living is nice but...

Kudos for making that placement work for more than a year yirj17  :smiley:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4092 on: August 29, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
No convenience stores? No chicken "house"? No BROCCOLI?? (seriously I love broccoli)

No way. I'm kinda rural as in not smack-dab downtown but that's next level. I mean island living is nice but...

Kudos for making that placement work for more than a year yirj17  :smiley:

Hahah my coT is one of the best.  Super motherly.  Sometimes she'll ask if I'd like her to get me anything on the weekend when I'm staying on the island.  Paraphrased:

coT:  Do you want potatoes?  You like potatoes.
Me:  Oh no, you don't have to.  I'm okay! 
coT:  Are you sure?  It's no problem! 
Me:  Well, all right, if you insist! 
coT:  What else? 
Me:  Oh potatoes are plenty.   
coT:  But what can you eat?  There aren't many vegetables in the mart and they are too expensive!
Me:  Err, I really like broccoli. 
coT:  Okay!  See you next week! 
Me:  Wow!  Thank you!   :shocked:

:laugh: :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4093 on: August 29, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
There's a Peep Show meme for everything.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4094 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
Damn, Wando looks great. Look I hate humans in general so rural is not an issue for me, and I'm sure gmarket will deliver? Plus without the convenience stores maybe I will lose the extra ass I've grown. Thanks for the all the info, really looking into it on our side.
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4095 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »
Damn, Wando looks great. Look I hate humans in general so rural is not an issue for me, and I'm sure gmarket will deliver? Plus without the convenience stores maybe I will lose the extra ass I've grown. Thanks for the all the info, really looking into it on our side.

Ahaha.  Yeah, I'm not really looking all that forward to "rejoining" society but oh well.  Things one does for love, right?  Hah.  And yep!  I've ordered once from gmarket before with no issues.  I'm a fan of coupang though, it's so easy to get free shipping if you order a certain monetary amount! 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4096 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
I bought one of those hand grip exerciser things. I brought it to work for something to do while I'm deskwarming but discovered it made a clicking noise. So, I moved my hand under the desk to muffle the sound a bit, but it didn't work. I only succeeded in looking like I"m doing something weird under my desk to the cadence of a weird clicking sound.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4097 on: September 04, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
I bought one of those hand grip exerciser things. I brought it to work for something to do while I'm deskwarming but discovered it made a clicking noise. So, I moved my hand under the desk to muffle the sound a bit, but it didn't work. I only succeeded in looking like I"m doing something weird under my desk to the cadence of a weird clicking sound.

A metron-oh-oh-oh-ome

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4098 on: September 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
I don't think my Co-T understands how inappropriate Western Pop music can be. I think Koreans here this shit everywhere and just assume that it's friendly, why else would it be playing at the mall.

All About That Bass
'Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
And all the right junk in all the right places
----
I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop
We know that shit ain't real, come on now, make it stop
----
She says, "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night"
(That booty, uh, that booty booty)
----
I'm bringing booty back
Go 'head and tell them skinny bitches that

Lazy Song
Throw my hand in my pants
Nobody's gonna tell me I can't
----
Meet a really nice girl, have some really nice sex
And she's gonna scream out: 'This is Great' (Oh my God, this is great!)

Uptown Funk
Stop
Wait a minute
Fill my cup put some liquor in it
----
If you sexy then flaunt it
If you freaky then own it
Donít brag about it, come show me
Come on, dance
Jump on it
If you sexy then flaunt it

I'm no prude, but they're f'in 10 years old. I'll never forget going to the MLB store in Times Square YDP,

"F her in the ass, I ain't got no class
More of the same etc etc"

:police: WHERE AM I?

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #4099 on: September 04, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
I don't think my Co-T understands how inappropriate Western Pop music can be. I think Koreans here this shit everywhere and just assume that it's friendly, why else would it be playing at the mall.

(dirty lyrics from songs)

I'm no prude, but they're f'in 10 years old. I'll never forget going to the MLB store in Times Square YDP,

"F her in the ass, I ain't got no class
More of the same etc etc"

:police: WHERE AM I?

My first year here, the school played "The Bad Touch" (do it like they do on the discovery channel) quite loudly during Sports Day (note: middle school).

Me:  :huh: