September 20, 2017, 12:34:55 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351372 times)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4000 on: June 16, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
I miss American television. Not that I watched TV a lot, but I enjoyed watching Food Network and HLN or having it in the background.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4001 on: June 16, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »
I miss American television. Not that I watched TV a lot, but I enjoyed watching Food Network and HLN or having it in the background.
I've just started watching Master Chef Australia and have it on in the background while I grade and lesson plan.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4002 on: June 16, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
I've just started watching Master Chef Australia and have it on in the background while I grade and lesson plan.

Is it any good? I'm quite partial to the Master Chef US judges...

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4003 on: June 16, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Why can't women become men a la Yentil? Or blacks become white, a la Falconhurst ?

They're certainly free to try, but they might be accused of "appropriation", or worse~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Defense of Cultural Appropriation
nytimes.com/2017/06/14/opinion/in-defense-of-cultural-appropriation.html

Don't worry. It's written by a former Indian.

Critics of cultural appropriation insist that they are opposed not to cultural engagement, but to racism. They want to protect marginalized cultures and ensure that such cultures speak for themselves, not simply be seen through the eyes of more privileged groups.

Certainly, cultural engagement does not take place on a level playing field. Racism and inequality shape the ways in which people imagine others. Yet it is difficult to see how creating gated cultures helps promote social justice.
The accusation of cultural appropriation is a secular version of the charge of blasphemy. Itís the insistence that certain beliefs and images are so important to particular cultures that they may not appropriated by others.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:26:39 PM by donovan »

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4004 on: June 16, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

I am so exhausted that I just read an entire locked thread, and in this thread I am pretty sure that a South African commented (I am pretty sure he is a saffa) and then he got attacked for his culture;  which of course only registered with me as "South African", when in fact the point was being made to a particular religious culture, but DAMN it took me a long time to figure that all out.  So for a while there, I was wondering "what kind of ignorant nutcase thinks Saffas don't let women drive?"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm still laughing at myself for the train of thought.

Anyway...added note: In South Africa, many of my female friends are of this religious culture and they drive like bats out of hell. No one "lets" a South African woman do anything. We do what we want!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4005 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
It's always weird to me how same activities work at certain schools. I've done a pretty difficult activity with my two other schools with successful results, but my high level students couldn't get it.  :shocked:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4006 on: June 21, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
Just received my first lowest-grade-possible student. Refused to say a word. I can normally coax an answer for a couple of questions so that I can justify giving this or that student a higher grade. But not this time. It's not his first offense, either -- he's not suffering from some kind of social disorder or anything. He just doesn't like English and wants everyone to feel it, and somehow a refusal to participate hurts us more than it does him?

The amount of effort that goes into the "I don't give a ****" attitude from some of these students is astounding. It would just be easier if they at least tried.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4007 on: June 21, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »

Is it any good? I'm quite partial to the Master Chef US judges...
I can't say, this is the first Master Chef I've ever watched. But these three are very very good at seeming displeased and judgmental then switching it up and saying something nice. One of the judges is incredibly dapper and one is very dad-like.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4008 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
Payday on Friday. Can't come soon enough. I think I'll eat beans and veggies for the entirety of next month so I can buy these beauts.

Also, going to Indonesia in January for a few weeks. But no vacation this August, I haven't planned shit and my Korean friend is coming back for the whole month from Prague.

Wow, this is a pointlewss rambling. Anyway, I'm bored and it's good to write. Peace!
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4009 on: June 21, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
Trying to decide if I should visit Seoul this upcoming weekend. I've got a few things I'd like to pick up from there. But at the same time, I'd be going alone, and I hate going to Seoul on my own.

Also, last time I was there, it felt like I was walking through black tar. I mean, is it really worth it?

In other news, there's a lot of noise going on outside my window again, and it sounds like a wood saw. But it's a cat. Wtf is up with the cats around my school, I swear to God that they're all on PCP.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4010 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
There is a guy I knew in university that I constantly see posting on FB asking for someone to babysit his 2-3 month old baby, always for free. I don't know why it annoys me so much, it doesn't affect me at all, but the way he always adds on "No compensation" gets me.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4011 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
Jeez. The more worrying thing is that he's looking for random friends to take care of an infant.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4012 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »
There is a guy I knew in university that I constantly see posting on FB asking for someone to babysit his 2-3 month old baby, always for free. I don't know why it annoys me so much, it doesn't affect me at all, but the way he always adds on "No compensation" gets me.

This actually annoys me just hearing about it. People seem to expect the rest of the world to drop everything when they need something.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4013 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
The amount of effort that goes into the "I don't give a ****" attitude from some of these students is astounding. It would just be easier if they at least tried.

It is amazing how failing at an English course in South Korea requires more effort than minimal participation.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4014 on: June 21, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »

This actually annoys me just hearing about it. People seem to expect the rest of the world to drop everything when they need something.

Yeah. I'm not sure if people have taken him up on his wonderful offer (once I saw him offer a cookie as payment!), but I feel like grandparents are the only people you should expect free childcare from.

Jeez. The more worrying thing is that he's looking for random friends to take care of an infant.

Hmm yeah. That's a good point. No experience, but based on what I see on TV shows, the moms at least are never willing to leave their babies so soon.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4015 on: June 21, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

I have a dude like that on FB but on top of that he's always crying about how he isn't getting enough on welfare to feed his kids (kids which were planned and born after him and his GF were on disability for 3 years) but then he posts pictures from "mail day" showing off his new 30$ records that just came in.

Some people are trash.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4016 on: June 21, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »

I have a dude like that on FB but on top of that he's always crying about how he isn't getting enough on welfare to feed his kids (kids which were planned and born after him and his GF were on disability for 3 years) but then he posts pictures from "mail day" showing off his new 30$ records that just came in.

Some people are trash.

Agreed. Saying that people on welfare shouldn't be allowed to go to the movies, or buy a coffee, or any other very small luxuries that many affluent people enjoy without a second thought is petty and shortsighted. But if someone has kids to feed and is complaining about not having enough money, it might be better to be avoiding expensive hobbies like record collecting.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4017 on: June 21, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »

Some people are trash.
Ah, well my guy isn't on welfare. He is just being extraordinarily cheap. But in regards to welfare, there are definitely better ways to use it when you have to feed your kids.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4018 on: June 21, 2017, 04:18:47 PM »
Have you ever seen a kid below the age of 15 who actually dressed up for a wedding in Korea, aside from maybe the flower girl or the hanboked kid that attends here or there? It's always a sullied t-shirt and crocs.

I did, however, happen to see my first Korean goth girl at the last wedding I attending. An all black dress with white lace adorning the top that had a macabre feel to it.  Black stockings with black combat boots. Long straight hair with deep, straight-cut bangs that was dyed hot-pink but black at the roots. She was also slightly tall with a super-thin frame that made her seem a little emaciated and enhanced the effect.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4019 on: June 21, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Teach the same lesson more than once can be nice because I get really familiar with the material, and I don't have to prepare a ton of lessons every day, but it's so hard to be enthusiastic in class when it's the 5th time presenting the same information.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment