January 23, 2018, 05:39:41 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 470519 times)

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3860 on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

I think living outside the English speaking world for so long is taking its toll on the ol' Mother Tongue, hahaha.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #3861 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
I err on the side of caution with "delicious." It's like if you called every movie you saw "amazing." Yeah, some movies are good. Calling a movie pretty good doesn't do the movie a disservice. It's okay to like ddeokbokki but if you slobber all over every pojang macha ddeokbokki "우와ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ 맛있다!" then it cheapens the word. Sometimes food is just food. Hell, most of the time food is just food.

Those clams I had caught 3 hours prior to eating them over an open wood flame grill? That's delicious.

Louis CK for some philosophy on this. 

:afro: Hey, I brought a cup, you know, in case we need another cup.

:cheesy: Dude, you're a GENIUS.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3862 on: June 26, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3863 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Here are a few (ranked from good to bad):
Spectacular.
Incredible.
Amazing.
Fantastic.

Divine.
Exquisite.
Delicious.
Delectable.

Tasty.
Yummy.
Good.

Not bad (said with enthusiasm).
Not bad (said without much enthusiasm).
Alright.

Okay.
Palatable.
Meh.

Edible.
Pretty bad.
Bad.

Inedible.
Terrible.
Catastrophic.

*Hurk*

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3864 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Lekker. Just all start saying lekker.

And if it's not lekker it's kak.

It really is that easy.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3865 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3866 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
10 years flies by!!

On June 27th 2007, I disembarked from a terrible Aeroflot flight from Moscow into this new country.  It was a little bit humid, but I thought, 'ok'.  My orders were to take the bus to Daejeon and then wait.  I was knackered, smelly but excited.  All this funny alphabet everywhere.  What did it mean?  I got to Daejeon which took a good couple of hours.  On meeting my recruiter in Daejeon, 'Ok' let's go further' 'Erm, ok'  Into a car for another two-hour trip somewhere.  By now I had no idea where I was and I was too tired to really care.  On arrival at the Office of Education I was greeted by the supervisor, school principal and various other teachers, all at the same time.  'Remember your manners'  I kept thinking while, struggling to concentrate.  'Christ, I must look like shit'  'Ok, Dave teacher let's go for dinner'  All I wanted to do was to go to my new apartment, take a shower and go to bed.  'Come on!'  So off we hopped.  'Do you want a fork?' 'Please!'  Never having used chopsticks before.  Sitting on the floor was kind of painful for the first time.  Then off we hopped, back into a car will all others in tow, about six people if I remember rightly.  Cue my new 'room'.  Everyone came in, walking around and checking around to make sure everything was ok.  'Please leave!' I thought, this is all nice and good but I'm knacked.  Eventually, they left.  'We'll pick you tomorrow at 8am, is that ok?'  'Sure, I'll be waiting'  *door shuts*  I sit on my bed exhausted.  I saw a 7/11 by the house.  I lurched out the door and headed there.  It was too late to do proper shopping.  Hmmm, foreign beer.  Sapporo Silver Cup!  So I picked up two and headed back to my house.  'This place is kind of small' I thought as I opened my 'silver can' and set my alarm for the next day......

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3867 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:
Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3868 on: June 27, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »

Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Thirded. Their bread & snacks not only look good, but they TASTE good too! Imagine that.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3869 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Thirded. Their bread & snacks not only look good, but they TASTE good too! Imagine that.
Amen. I saw a girl who was newish to Korea make a post on FB yesterday about how excited she was to find cinnamon rolls at Paris Baguette and how much she loved cinnamon rolls and how these looked so good and how excited she is to try them...

I have tried their rolls. They are not good. Look pretty, sure, but the taste is nada.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3870 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »

Amen. I saw a girl who was newish to Korea make a post on FB yesterday about how excited she was to find cinnamon rolls at Paris Baguette and how much she loved cinnamon rolls and how these looked so good and how excited she is to try them...

I have tried their rolls. They are not good. Look pretty, sure, but the taste is nada.

I haven't been to enough countries yet but Japan has my favorite baked goods. I do have a friend who has been to both France and Japan and prefers the latter's bakeries lol.

Even the prepackaged convenience store breads are good!

@chinguetti-- go alone if you have to! I went solo over golden week and I'm going solo again. There are affordable airbnbs to be found for even the solo traveler!

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3871 on: June 27, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »

As someone who loves baked goods, I too had to come to the realization that most of the bakeries here are a waste of money. If there are any good ones out there, I'd love to know  :cry: I feel a rant coming on about the mediocre uniformity of Korean bakeries and cafes. How is it they all sell just slightly better or worse versions of the same things? Why is there no variety in their menus?! Ah.. but this is the wrong thread for that.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3872 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

As someone who loves baked goods, I too had to come to the realization that most of the bakeries here are a waste of money. If there are any good ones out there, I'd love to know  :cry: I feel a rant coming on about the mediocre uniformity of Korean bakeries and cafes. How is it they all sell just slightly better or worse versions of the same things? Why is there no variety in their menus?! Ah.. but this is the wrong thread for that.
Guess it depends what you're looking for. I have found one bakery that does amazing cinnamon rolls and SF style bagels, I found one this weekend with quite a good sourdough (that you also don't have to break the bank for), and a couple that have quite good tarts and loaves of chocolate bread.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3873 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
Guess it depends what you're looking for. I have found one bakery that does amazing cinnamon rolls and SF style bagels, I found one this weekend with quite a good sourdough (that you also don't have to break the bank for), and a couple that have quite good tarts and loaves of chocolate bread.

Basically. 

There is a small place in Mokpo that has the absolute best macarons. Dunno the name but I know how to get there. Every other macaron I've ever had before that place is crap in comparison. Crisp exterior with chewy/soft inner cookie part and cream cheese based filling. Marvelous. They only sell macarons and beverages. And they often sell out of the former.

There is also a slightly hidden homemade cheesecake place in Yeonggwang that has seasonal flavors. Pretty divine. The apple mango is my favorite.

Good bakeries exist in Korea but are perhaps just harder to find amidst the glut of basic chains. I feel like it's easier to find bakeries in Japan that make goods that are particularly pleasing to my palate.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3874 on: June 27, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »

Basically. 

There is a small place in Mokpo that has the absolute best macarons. Dunno the name but I know how to get there. Every other macaron I've ever had before that place is crap in comparison. Crisp exterior with chewy/soft inner cookie part and cream cheese based filling. Marvelous. They only sell macarons and beverages. And they often sell out of the former.

There is also a slightly hidden homemade cheesecake place in Yeonggwang that has seasonal flavors. Pretty divine. The apple mango is my favorite.

Good bakeries exist in Korea but are perhaps just harder to find amidst the glut of basic chains. I feel like it's easier to find bakeries in Japan that make goods that are particularly pleasing to my palate.

They are really hard to find, at least where I am. Anytime I see a new bakery or one I haven't been in yet, I go in, and it's basically a carbon copy of what they sell at all the other places, down to the glazed bread dubbed as pizza with fake crab, sausage, potato, and corn in the middle.

In general I'm not a big fan of sweet/sugary breads, but I do like things such as pumpkin bread, banana bread, muffins, rolls, whole wheat bread, anything with cheese and herbs. But then again, the sweet things I had in Japan were pretty good!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3875 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
RELEASE DATE FOR SNES MINI HAS FINALLY BEEN ANNOUNCED.  I want one so badly.

Here's hoping they actually make ample units this time.  :undecided: Nintendo claims these mini retro consoles are "for the fans" but doesn't seem to care about supply meeting demand...  even though it's easy money for them. 

Man that game lineup looks great though.  It's a pretty super deal considering the old original consoles tend to be sold for upwards of $60~80 these days for the system alone without any guarantee of how much longer it'll actually live. 

Yeah, yeah, there are ways to emulate, I'm well aware, but this is way more my style.  I still have a good handful of SNES game cartridges back home but my console is dead  :sad:  If I can get one of these, I'd be so happy~ I've never camped out in front of a store before, but this is one of the few things for which I would do so without a second thought if I were back home. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15874154/nintendo-snes-classic-edition-release-date-price-announced

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3876 on: June 27, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »

Basically. 

They are really hard to find, at least where I am. Anytime I see a new bakery or one I haven't been in yet, I go in, and it's basically a carbon copy of what they sell at all the other places, down to the glazed bread dubbed as pizza with fake crab, sausage, potato, and corn in the middle.

In general I'm not a big fan of sweet/sugary breads, but I do like things such as pumpkin bread, banana bread, muffins, rolls, whole wheat bread, anything with cheese and herbs. But then again, the sweet things I had in Japan were pretty good!
Yeah, all of the good bakeries I have been to were in Seoul. Last weekend I had my first ever authentic sausage roll from a British style bakery which was super tasty, and not sweet at all, but still managing to not have pizza sauce or fake crab.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3877 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
I finally made the connection that instant coffee makes my sweat smell. A lot.

Took me a while to figure this out because I don't normally sweat profusely unless I'm at the gym, and I try to avoid drinking instant coffee because the real stuff is so much better.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. Instant coffee is full of all kinds of shit.

Anyone else experience this?

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3878 on: June 28, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »
I have only one class today, 6th period.  I''m not sure if I want to rant or rave about this, so I'll put it in the ramble post.

I'm using my time to plan activities for the free semester, and to hang out on Waygook.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3879 on: June 28, 2017, 08:48:37 AM »
I got home at 11:30 last night and my neighbour left all the shit out for the delivery guy to pick up. There was a wrapped pack of 군만두 that he hadn't even touched, perched upon all of his dirty plates.

Free food.

Nice.

:afro: