November 22, 2017, 11:55:22 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 405506 times)

Online bigfishlittlefish

• Adventurer
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3760 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Fruit flies are the devil, Mosquitoes their Malaria carrying b**chy aunt

Get all your food waste in the freezer and I really suggest investing in one of these bad boys

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=128645096

Online wanderlust8

• Adventurer
« Reply #3761 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »

Get all your food waste in the freezer and I really suggest investing in one of these bad boys

Ahh thank you! I was just about to ask if anyone knew a way to get rid of the mosquitoes. Also, has anyone gotten the Japanese encephalitis vaccination? My mom keeps mentioning I should get it but my co said the encephalitis is super rare.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3762 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »

Ahh thank you! I was just about to ask if anyone knew a way to get rid of the mosquitoes. Also, has anyone gotten the Japanese encephalitis vaccination? My mom keeps mentioning I should get it but my co said the encephalitis is super rare.

Before I came here (2.5 years ago) the travel health clinic in Winnipeg told me not to bother.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3763 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
Get all your food waste in the freezer

That's the thing. I do! It's the food that can't be refrigerated that's the problem. Damn bananas.

has anyone gotten the Japanese encephalitis vaccination? My mom keeps mentioning I should get it but my co said the encephalitis is super rare.

I got it, but for a trip to India. Not to come here.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3764 on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
It is very rare. If you are going to be in the countryside, real rural and near pig farming or rice farming, especially in Jeju you could maybe consider it. The few people who do get it in Korea would be farm workers.

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3765 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
The risk of contracting the JE virus and it developing into encephalitis is lower than the risk of complications from the vaccine.

Offline SaintsCanada

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3766 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
I've been wondering about rice fields and mosquitoes. I walk through the country side to and from my main school (3 days per week), and it's right through rice farming villages.

Will the mozzies be wild during the summer? Even during daylight hours?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #3767 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Yeah both are annoying, but as long as I'm careful about my trash then fruit flies aren't usually too big of a problem. Mosquitoes on the other hand are sneaky fuckers and are literally worse than Hitler. Tiny flying Nazis.

Anyway, last week after a mosquito-induced sleepless night I went out and got one of these gadgets, thinking it might be healthier for me than the spray. Well...

Unless you like headaches and vomiting, don't forget to turn it off before going to sleep. Trust me. DON'T FORGET.

Got rid of the mosquitoes, at least  :blank:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3768 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
Yeah both are annoying, but as long as I'm careful about my trash then fruit flies aren't usually too big of a problem. Mosquitoes on the other hand are sneaky fuckers and are literally worse than Hitler. Tiny flying Nazis.

Anyway, last week after a mosquito-induced sleepless night I went out and got one of these gadgets, thinking it might be healthier for me than the spray. Well...

Unless you like headaches and vomiting, don't forget to turn it off before going to sleep. Trust me. DON'T FORGET.

Got rid of the mosquitoes, at least  :blank:

Baby Aubergine, care to weigh in?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3770 on: May 19, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
My school had exams this week, so I was let out of school once I was finished with my proctoring. I went to this big old market and found one of those fancypants Japanese melons that are always so expensive here for 5000! So I picked it up and for lunch today I had my first ever melon in Korea (not counting the Korean cucumber melons or watermelon).

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #3771 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
The printer wont print any text if the file is from Microsoft Word. It will print pictures though...
So this means that anything I want to print I need to move it to HanCom (ewwww) and reformat the whole thing.

So annoying......

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3772 on: May 19, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
The printer wont print any text if the file is from Microsoft Word. It will print pictures though...
So this means that anything I want to print I need to move it to HanCom (ewwww) and reformat the whole thing.

So annoying......
If you don't have to make any changes can you save the Word file as a PDF and print that?

Fruit flies are my mortal enemies right now.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3773 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
Would you rather have 2 wily mosquitoes or 20 freakishly large Korean kamikaze fruit flies fluttering around in your one-room?

Fruit flies. Super easy for me to kill while mosquitoes are unseen ninjas that I've got to bait. Not all of us have to worry about masses of bugs hitting our eyeballs from out of nowhere.

So annoying......

What flyingspider said, but also wanted to add that I've been able to get around this problem on other computers by changing the font to something that's available in both programs. Not sure if this will help you with your situation, but worth a shot?

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #3774 on: May 19, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Changing fonts (the ones I used) didn't help.

But I can change the file into a PDF and print it. :undecided: 8)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3775 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I tried to scream at my friend in Korean via kakao and was looking for the caps lock in order to do so. Took me a few seconds to realize why I couldn't find it on my phone's Korean keyboard.....

I'm so awake and alert today...

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3776 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
The risk of contracting the JE virus and it developing into encephalitis is lower than the risk of complications from the vaccine.

If I could turn back time I wouldn't have gotten it. I was very much on the vaccine train.

Now I have autism that inexplicably goes in and out like the tides. I thought that the clap was bad.

Changed a made-up word to an actual word.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:13:38 PM by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3777 on: May 20, 2017, 06:12:27 AM »
I was just thinking about a certain user's penchant for using meat puns where they must be had, so I searched for poems about meat.

I was not disappointed.

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3778 on: May 20, 2017, 06:30:38 AM »

If I could turn back time I wouldn't have gotten it. I was very much on the vaccine train.

Now I have autism that inexplicably goes in and out like the tides. I thought that the clap was bad.

Changed a made-up word to an actual word.

LOL.

The JE vaccine issue isn't one of those 'vaccines cause autism' deals.

Any medicine can have side effects, and with the risk of contracting JE in Korea being extremely low and the risk of the virus actually causing encephalitis in a young adult being negligible too, it doesn't make sense to have the vaccine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8708368

I stopped trusting doctors after having a serious adverse reaction to hardcore antibiotics that a stupid doctor in Korea had been prescribing for colds and other unnecessary stuff. Bad side effects do occur from medicine and the existence of wacko health scare people shouldn't detract from the real problems that do exist in medicine.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3779 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Kinda funny observation at a bus terminal.

Some youngish looking guy (maybe late HS or early college) was smoking right outside the door. A worker came over and told the kid not to smoke by the doors. So the kid migrates to the parking lot. After finishing his cig he drops it onto the ground. The same terminal worker shows back up and firmly berates the kid for littering, insisting he pick up his stub. The kid obliges.

Think I just saw my favorite bus terminal employee  :laugh: :laugh: