October 19, 2017, 04:15:41 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 374458 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3740 on: May 10, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
Renewal paperwork to arrive soon. 

Should I stay or should I go?  I am utterly on the fence right now.
Me too.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3741 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »

Me too.

I convinced myself to stay another year. I shouldn't have. So I have no advice. But I understand where you are right now, mentally. It is a really tough decision.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3742 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

Me too.

I convinced myself to stay another year. I shouldn't have. So I have no advice. But I understand where you are right now, mentally. It is a really tough decision.

I feel like even if I end up thinking I'd rather have not renewed, at least I will know that for certain (should it come to that).  Honestly the financial savings I could gain in another year is a huge motivator.  There are certainly worse things I could do in a year's worth of time. 

And as I still haven't much of a plan yet for afterward... may as well do another year and enjoy another year abroad, maybe.  And have more funds stashed away while figuring out my next step. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3743 on: May 11, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »

Me too.

I feel like even if I end up thinking I'd rather have not renewed, at least I will know that for certain (should it come to that).  Honestly the financial savings I could gain in another year is a huge motivator.  There are certainly worse things I could do in a year's worth of time. 

And as I still haven't much of a plan yet for afterward... may as well do another year and enjoy another year abroad, maybe.  And have more funds stashed away while figuring out my next step.

Yeah, the financial side is what is keeping me going. My savings in the last few months have shot up considerably. I'm like a squirrel hoarding for winter.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3744 on: May 11, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Anybody else watching The Handmaid's Tale?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3745 on: May 11, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Me: Hello!
Student being a smartbutt: Bonjour!
Me being a smarterbutt: Ah! Tu parle français!? Moi aussi! Comment ça va!?
Student wishing he hadn't been a smartbutt:  :huh: ......Uh....No Bonjour....
Me: Oh...  D'accord....

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3746 on: May 11, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »

I had no idea there was a show until a week ago. Kept wondering why everyone was bringing up that old book out of nowhere, I thought it was such a random sudden interest.

I might pick it up, but it's such a depressing story.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3747 on: May 11, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »
I was going to rant about the bathroom cleaning lady in the ranting thread earlier today, but I got sidetracked by work and forgot about it.

I was cranky because lately every time I've tried to go to the bathroom in the morning before classes start, she'd be in there cleaning. "Surely there's a less inconvenient time she could be doing this!", I'd think. "In the US, Janitors do most of their cleaning after school hours are over! Harumph!"

However, I went to the bathroom later, and something occurred to me:  This new cleaning lady is doing a bang-up job. Like... I'm legitmately shocked. The floors are clean. The sinks are clean. When I notice a mess someone has made, it's usually gone by the next day, as opposed to a few messes that were around for an entire year under the former cleaning lady. Best of all, I have yet to see a bathroom without toilet paper since she started.

So yeah. If being mildly inconvenienced in the morning means I actually get clean bathrooms that are consistently stocked with TP, I'll friggin' grin and bear it.  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3748 on: May 11, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »

Dang. My Spanish isn't that good.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3749 on: May 11, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

I didn't use french at all in Canada but when me and my Canadian friend wanna be jerks, or when we're a bottle deep into the soju we speak in broken French to each other. There's also a Korean girl I know who speaks some french but no English so I talk to her a bit in French. Who wouldda thought it'd be more useful here.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3750 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

I had no idea there was a show until a week ago. Kept wondering why everyone was bringing up that old book out of nowhere, I thought it was such a random sudden interest.

I might pick it up, but it's such a depressing story.
Yeah, it's definitely not a binge-able show. It's really well done, but it's also a lot more depressing than the book was. At least that's my opinion.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3751 on: May 11, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

I didn't use french at all in Canada but when me and my Canadian friend wanna be jerks, or when we're a bottle deep into the soju we speak in broken French to each other. There's also a Korean girl I know who speaks some french but no English so I talk to her a bit in French. Who wouldda thought it'd be more useful here.

I used to be able to talk broken French Canadian, too, but after years of not using it and learning Korean, I find that whenever I try, I keep trying to use Korean words instead of French words.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3752 on: May 11, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »

Damn. lucky you. I can barely string a sentence together in Francais anymore. I used to be around 80-85% fluent, when I was younger and in my teens. Kept my level fairly decent in my 20s; living in MTL and working in the service industry keeps your level from getting too rusty, even if you don't use it much beyond the basics.

But now at 35 yrs old after almost 4 years in Korea, I tried having a convo with a French (from France) dude in Japan over the recent holidays and wow, I'm pathetic now. Struggling to remember simple words like "alors" or "donc". Ouch. Guy thought I was some sort of boasty poseur/liar, I think. Use it or lose it, eh?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3753 on: May 11, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »

Damn. lucky you. I can barely string a sentence together in Francais anymore. I used to be around 80-85% fluent, when I was younger and in my teens. Kept my level fairly decent in my 20s; living in MTL and working in the service industry keeps your level from getting too rusty, even if you don't use it much beyond the basics.

But now at 35 yrs old after almost 4 years in Korea, I tried having a convo with a French (from France) dude in Japan over the recent holidays and wow, I'm pathetic now. Struggling to remember simple words like "alors" or "donc". Ouch. Guy thought I was some sort of boasty poseur/liar, I think. Use it or lose it, eh?

It's weird cuz i HATED french class with a passion but there are a few french bands I listen to. I took German in University which screwed up my remembering of words in French. I went to quebec a few years back and accidentally spewed out a sentence in Frengman (Bonjour, Ich veux ein numbero zwei s'il vous plaît), but I've gotten better here... I think I'm just more confident speaking to other people whose first language isn't French... Primarily people who speak French Canadian French...

YoungMin

« Reply #3754 on: May 11, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
Was crushing lemmings on taxing difficulty when my browser crashed.  :cry:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3755 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »
It's weird cuz i HATED french class with a passion but there are a few french bands I listen to. I took German in University which screwed up my remembering of words in French. I went to quebec a few years back and accidentally spewed out a sentence in Frengman (Bonjour, Ich veux ein numbero zwei s'il vous plaît), but I've gotten better here... I think I'm just more confident speaking to other people whose first language isn't French... Primarily people who speak French Canadian French...

Yeah I definitely got accustomed to the Quebecois slang and speaking style, despite having lived in France and doing a year of schooling there when I was 10-11yrs old. It's funny knowing that 12 yr old me could definitely talk circles around current me in a French speaking battle. I'm not overly worried about this scenario occurring, mind you.

French from France is a bunch prettier, but I find they speak a tad faster, and the different slang and word choices through me for a loop, too. Though I feel they do tend to enunciate more (a least Parisians).

I'm with you on the confidence thing, speaking to a native speaker when you're out of practice is nerve-wracking, but speaking with other second language speakers can put everyone at ease. And soju, beer, wine, too. Of course.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:19:55 PM by DMZabductee »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3756 on: May 12, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
At volleyball the other day the ball flew into the giant clock which fell and smashed into the floor in a spectacular fashion.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3757 on: May 12, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
So happy it's FRIDAY!!!!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3758 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
So happy it's FRIDAY!!!!

Muuido camping.

:afro:   :laugh:  :police:  :azn:  :angel:
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3759 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
At volleyball the other day the ball flew into the giant clock which fell and smashed into the floor in a spectacular fashion.

That's kind of sweet, actually.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment