November 19, 2017, 08:19:23 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402631 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3700 on: May 08, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
My CTs are so obsessed with marriage it's starting to rub off on me and I'm not even interested in getting married! But now I think of all their checklists they talk about like job, savings, whether or not a guys grandparents have a retirement fund, etc. (basically everything besides whether or not they actually like the guy) when I meet someone new. Honestly, it's kind of a buzzkill I think I need to distance myself from their constant stories.

Also, said CTs happen to not be here today and I have no idea if I'm supposed to come into work tomorrow or not...  :undecided:

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #3701 on: May 08, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
tomorrow is a national holiday (just for this year only) because it is presidential election day. that day is normally in november. but with the impeachment it is now a holiday. Most adults will be voting that day so no school.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3702 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
My CTs are so obsessed with marriage it's starting to rub off on me and I'm not even interested in getting married! But now I think of all their checklists they talk about like job, savings, whether or not a guys grandparents have a retirement fund, etc. (basically everything besides whether or not they actually like the guy) when I meet someone new. Honestly, it's kind of a buzzkill I think I need to distance myself from their constant stories.

Also, said CTs happen to not be here today and I have no idea if I'm supposed to come into work tomorrow or not...  :undecided:

You're not. It's a national holiday, so if you're at a public school you 100% don't have to work, and if you're at a hagwon, you shouldn't have to work, unless your hagwon is super awful.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3703 on: May 08, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
Anyone got any sordid tales of time off they wish to share?
My SO and I decided that we would like to head out to Yeongdeok to check out Sunrise Park and hike the Blue Road.
   So we make our merry way over the freeways, enjoying the sunshine and the exfoliating effect of AQI 250 wind blowing in our faces.
 And then we get past Pohang and realize our mistake: we went on a road trip.... on a national holiday!
Oh god, the horror.
Bumper to bumper for a solid 2 and a half hours. And why? Because all these good folk are also set on hiking on such a gorgeous day? No. The traffic disappeared completely once we were past all the crab vendors. You know, the same crabs that you can buy at E-mart and Homeplus for half the price.  >:(

Also, I nearly killed a taxicab while running a stale orange light... but that hardly makes up for the hours of gridlock...

The hike sure was nice, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3704 on: May 08, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3705 on: May 08, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now 'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

There are signs all over the immigration office that you need an appointment. I know some people have managed to go without one, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. Making an appointment is pretty easy, so I'd do it just to be on the safe side, since you never know who you'll get there or what their mood is going to be like.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3706 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now 'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

There are signs all over the immigration office that you need an appointment. I know some people have managed to go without one, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. Making an appointment is pretty easy, so I'd do it just to be on the safe side, since you never know who you'll get there or what their mood is going to be like.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking, but because of the projected wait time, was hoping not. Thanks.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3707 on: May 08, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
There's a screaming baby chick in the teachers room right now. It's been passed around/frightened by) the kids all day, most likely terrified and now I get to hear it cry for the next few hours while they keep it in a tiny box :C Poor thing...

Offline atemporaryaccount

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3708 on: May 08, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

What's the purpose of this certificate? Why might one need it?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3709 on: May 08, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »

What's the purpose of this certificate? Why might one need it?
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I'm transferring over to EPIK and they require it to validate the transcripts and paperwork at immi. I had never heard of this paper before, as every other time I moved schools they just dealt with it themselves.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3710 on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
You MUST make an appointment. No walk ins at all anymore.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3711 on: May 10, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
Renewal paperwork to arrive soon. 

Should I stay or should I go?  I am utterly on the fence right now. 

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3712 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »

Me too.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3713 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »

Me too.

I convinced myself to stay another year. I shouldn't have. So I have no advice. But I understand where you are right now, mentally. It is a really tough decision.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3714 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »

Me too.

I convinced myself to stay another year. I shouldn't have. So I have no advice. But I understand where you are right now, mentally. It is a really tough decision.

I feel like even if I end up thinking I'd rather have not renewed, at least I will know that for certain (should it come to that).  Honestly the financial savings I could gain in another year is a huge motivator.  There are certainly worse things I could do in a year's worth of time. 

And as I still haven't much of a plan yet for afterward... may as well do another year and enjoy another year abroad, maybe.  And have more funds stashed away while figuring out my next step. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3715 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »

Me too.

I feel like even if I end up thinking I'd rather have not renewed, at least I will know that for certain (should it come to that).  Honestly the financial savings I could gain in another year is a huge motivator.  There are certainly worse things I could do in a year's worth of time. 

And as I still haven't much of a plan yet for afterward... may as well do another year and enjoy another year abroad, maybe.  And have more funds stashed away while figuring out my next step.

Yeah, the financial side is what is keeping me going. My savings in the last few months have shot up considerably. I'm like a squirrel hoarding for winter.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3716 on: May 11, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
Anybody else watching The Handmaid's Tale?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3717 on: May 11, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
Me: Hello!
Student being a smartbutt: Bonjour!
Me being a smarterbutt: Ah! Tu parle franšais!? Moi aussi! Comment ša va!?
Student wishing he hadn't been a smartbutt:  :huh: ......Uh....No Bonjour....
Me: Oh...  D'accord....

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3718 on: May 11, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
Anybody else watching The Handmaid's Tale?

I had no idea there was a show until a week ago. Kept wondering why everyone was bringing up that old book out of nowhere, I thought it was such a random sudden interest.

I might pick it up, but it's such a depressing story.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3719 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
I was going to rant about the bathroom cleaning lady in the ranting thread earlier today, but I got sidetracked by work and forgot about it.

I was cranky because lately every time I've tried to go to the bathroom in the morning before classes start, she'd be in there cleaning. "Surely there's a less inconvenient time she could be doing this!", I'd think. "In the US, Janitors do most of their cleaning after school hours are over! Harumph!"

However, I went to the bathroom later, and something occurred to me:  This new cleaning lady is doing a bang-up job. Like... I'm legitmately shocked. The floors are clean. The sinks are clean. When I notice a mess someone has made, it's usually gone by the next day, as opposed to a few messes that were around for an entire year under the former cleaning lady. Best of all, I have yet to see a bathroom without toilet paper since she started.

So yeah. If being mildly inconvenienced in the morning means I actually get clean bathrooms that are consistently stocked with TP, I'll friggin' grin and bear it.  :laugh: