September 22, 2017, 01:36:38 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353893 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3580 on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Ran into a gaggle of ajumma aged ladies at the bus stop today.  Their language sounded like Mandarin?  They were clearly asking me what time their bus was going to leave but I wasn't entirely sure when (I only had a guess, as I don't take that bus) though I was pretty certain as to where they were going. 

No common language, but held up my fingers with my best guess, and tried to convey that I wasn't exactly sure.  Somehow they got there in the first place so I can only assume they'll return from whence they came in some fashion.
I don't know why, but I have always loved the term "from whence they came."

It's pretty good, but shouldn't it be "wherce" since it refers to a place and not a time? I would think "whence" would be a time.
I can't tell if you're just joking or not, but according to the Oxford Dictionary whence means, "from which; from where."

I asked my coteacher if she had any travel recommendations for the May break (I'm lazy and haven't made plans yet), and she mentioned a city then went off on a huge tangent/rant about how a man from there was president in the 80s and killed lots of people, and how he's still alive today and is rich. I have no idea whether that city is worth travelling to and it seems like she's completely forgotten that my question was about travel.

She talks incessantly and it's gotten to the point where I'm almost afraid to ask her anything, because she'll talk for 10 minutes about something completely unrelated.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:36:20 PM by flyingspider »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3581 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:11 PM »
Ran into a gaggle of ajumma aged ladies at the bus stop today.  Their language sounded like Mandarin?  They were clearly asking me what time their bus was going to leave but I wasn't entirely sure when (I only had a guess, as I don't take that bus) though I was pretty certain as to where they were going. 

No common language, but held up my fingers with my best guess, and tried to convey that I wasn't exactly sure.  Somehow they got there in the first place so I can only assume they'll return from whence they came in some fashion.

It's pretty good, but shouldn't it be "wherce" since it refers to a place and not a time? I would think "whence" would be a time.
I can't tell if you're just joking or not, but according to the Oxford Dictionary whence means, "from which; from where."

I asked my coteacher if she had any travel recommendations for the May break (I'm lazy and haven't made plans yet), and she mentioned a city then went off on a huge tangent/rant about how a man from there was president in the 80s and killed lots of people, and how he's still alive today and is rich. I have no idea whether that city is worth travelling to and it seems like she's completely forgotten that my question was about travel.

She talks incessantly and it's gotten to the point where I'm almost afraid to ask her anything, because she'll talk for 10 minutes about something completely unrelated.

Gwangju Massacre? It's worth going there and checking out the Uprising museum and the Prison Park. But hey, I'm a poli sci dork, hahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #3582 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »

"Whence" meaning a place, source, cause.  It's like "wherefore".  It doesn't sound like it means what it actually means.

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3583 on: April 18, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »

Gwangju Massacre? It's worth going there and checking out the Uprising museum and the Prison Park. But hey, I'm a poli sci dork, hahaha

Umm probably not the Gwangju Massacre.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3584 on: April 18, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »

"Whence" meaning a place, source, cause.  It's like "wherefore".  It doesn't sound like it means what it actually means.

Like many words in the English language :D

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3585 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
One of the teachers asked me what I thought of their school's new English teacher.  I mean, we haven't worked together long, so I just said that my coT was nice and helpful during class. 

Then I clued in on the look on the teacher's face, "Ohhh.  Why, what do you think?"

Naturally at that precise moment, my coT pops up so I don't get a direct answer but I feel like the facial expression and hesitation of the teacher's face was enough info.   :shocked:

Makes me wonder what kinda drama might be happening at this school.  Hah.  I'm sure they miss the old KET, as do I.  I don't [yet] have anything against the new KET though. 

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3586 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
One of the teachers asked me what I thought of their school's new English teacher.  I mean, we haven't worked together long, so I just said that my coT was nice and helpful during class. 

Then I clued in on the look on the teacher's face, "Ohhh.  Why, what do you think?"

Naturally at that precise moment, my coT pops up so I don't get a direct answer but I feel like the facial expression and hesitation of the teacher's face was enough info.   :shocked:

Makes me wonder what kinda drama might be happening at this school.  Hah.  I'm sure they miss the old KET, as do I.  I don't [yet] have anything against the new KET though.

Things might be getting juicy over this way, too. I have no idea, nor actually care what is going on, but things seem a bit out of the norm. I usually just sit back and let the others handle the gossip and headbutting.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3587 on: April 20, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
I just burped and got a good whiff of lunch from it and I don't like that. It's basically like gaseous vomit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:35:52 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3588 on: April 20, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
I just burped and got a good whiff of lunch from it and I don't like that. It's basically like gaseous vomit.

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago after I ate at a new burger place. I was asked why it smelled like a burger in the living room, and I was like..ummm, my bad, but you have to admit it is pretty weird that it smells just like the burger. :laugh: :-[ :laugh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3589 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
Thinking about going to Vietnam for Chuseok.  Never been and it's on my bucket list.  Love the cuisine though, so I'm already raring to hit up some fine street food. 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3590 on: April 20, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Thinking about going to Vietnam for Chuseok.  Never been and it's on my bucket list.  Love the cuisine though, so I'm already raring to hit up some fine street food.
Vietnam is great, you should definitely go! And the street food is so yummy.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3591 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Do it! SO much tasty food to be eaten. It's almost overwhelming  :laugh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3592 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »

I would love to pick your brain for recommendations.  I'm wondering if I oughta stick to one city (don't even know which yet!) or bounce around.  Food is my number one priority though sights are a close second  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3593 on: April 21, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

I would love to pick your brain for recommendations.  I'm wondering if I oughta stick to one city (don't even know which yet!) or bounce around.  Food is my number one priority though sights are a close second  :laugh:

If you're in Hanoi, I can direct you towards a great goose resto (Ramsay approved), the best Bun Cha and a snake resto.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3594 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
I came up the stairs to my class, turned the corner and BAM! two of my grade 4 students in matching pink clothes tell me, in unison, "Come play with us, teacher."

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3595 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »
I hope I can explain this well...

Why do Koreans struggle with writing out numbers?  I mean if it's a large number in the tens or hundreds of thousands, my students and CTs don't seem to know where to place the "comma" that seperates the digits.

I know our counting systems are slightly different (I guess?) and I can understand not knowing how to speak numbers, but isn't writing out a number universal?

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3596 on: April 21, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »

Why do Koreans struggle with writing out numbers?  I mean if it's a large number in the tens or hundreds of thousands, my students and CTs don't seem to know where to place the "comma" that seperates the digits.

I know our counting systems are slightly different (I guess?) and I can understand not knowing how to speak numbers, but isn't writing out a number universal?

I see a lot of numbers written dsown in a hybrid way, honestly. 2억  10 만.

I very rarely see 100 000W written down.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3597 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I noticed that they don't ever immediately recognize the value of a large number until they've spent a minute or two "calculating" how to say it in Korean first.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3598 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

I see a lot of numbers written dsown in a hybrid way, honestly. 2억  10 만.

I very rarely see 100 000W written down.

Yeah, I was going to say the same. Usually they don't write out the whole number if it's more than 100,000. We would probably do the same in English if our counters were single syllables.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3599 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Haha, Ajahya, can yhou imagine you see a sign for some nice golf clubs?

SALE. Two-thousand four-hundred and ninety nine dollars One thousand six hundred and sixty eight dollars and fifty cents. FIRE SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Chinguetti, this has led to some interesting conversations with co-teachers over the years.

"CO2, your taxes this year are two million and fifty won."

WTF, SERIOUS?

Looks at paper

That's 250 000W. Not two million.

"Ah, sorry."

-------------------------------------

" CO2, your extra pay for the camp will be forty thousand won."

Why bother? Jeez.

Look at paper

That's 400 000W.

"Ah, sorry."

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment