September 25, 2017, 07:03:37 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356591 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3480 on: April 10, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
Alright friends -- who's going out on a limb and requesting a day off/unpaid for May 2nd?

I already have the day off on the 2nd. =/

Go me.

:sad:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3481 on: April 10, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
I walked in to see a brand new, nice looking ceramic mug with a coaster. No notes, no news, no nothing. I have no idea where it came from or why I got it, but some other teachers did as well. Hmm.

Also, I'm debating about the unpaid/sick leave on Tuesday and Thursday. My school isn't giving us the sandwich day, and I'm also not sure about the Labor Day on May 1st.

If you're public school, the MOE just sent out an email stating that it's mandatory that we are not to show up to work on May 1st.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3482 on: April 10, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Seems like it was a slow day in Waygook World.

To continue an expired topic, I bet the Szechuan sauce wasn't all that good and that IF McD's decides/is planning on bringing it back for the Mulan live-action film (per R&M's begging) I bet it won't be as good as everyone remembers.

Don't mind me, just bustin' ballz my way outta here for the day.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3483 on: April 10, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »
I walked in to see a brand new, nice looking ceramic mug with a coaster. No notes, no news, no nothing. I have no idea where it came from or why I got it, but some other teachers did as well. Hmm.

Also, I'm debating about the unpaid/sick leave on Tuesday and Thursday. My school isn't giving us the sandwich day, and I'm also not sure about the Labor Day on May 1st.

If you're public school, the MOE just sent out an email stating that it's mandatory that we are not to show up to work on May 1st.
I'm a weird in between. I'm a private (sort of) high school, but not international.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3484 on: April 10, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
They're gonna ask about renewals soon.  I'm contemplating doing another year.  Pretty on the fence about it though.  Sure would be nice to have that extra year's worth of savings though.  Hmm. 

I'm annoyed they ask for November renewals at the same time as August renewals.  Much less time to think on it.

I know that feeling.

Even though I'm not particularly enjoying my job these days, I'm glad I renewed.  I'm 99% that if I had gone back home I would have regretted it and wished I was back here.

Good luck with your decision; it's sometimes a really tough one  :sad:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3485 on: April 10, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Alright friends -- who's going out on a limb and requesting a day off/unpaid for May 2nd?

I already have the day off on the 2nd. =/

Go me.

:sad:

Wait I think I meant the 8th. Ahh she-ball.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3486 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »

I did.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3487 on: April 11, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
Some of my Tuesday morning students found out that I have 2 schools on Tuesdays. Their first question was what other school. Their second questions was "(school 2's name) students ugly?"

Their faces were so serious as they asked too. Like they were concerned about being my prettier Tuesday school...

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3488 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
There... is actually someone cleaning the windows here. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3489 on: April 11, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
There... is actually someone cleaning the windows here. I don't think I have ever seen that before.
Please take a photo...I have never seen anyone ever clean a window here.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3490 on: April 11, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3491 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
I watched a cat take a shit that I would've thought came from a dog had I not witnessed it. It was impressive. But the dirty ****** didn't even bother to cover it with sand like any decent cat would.

Animals, these days.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3492 on: April 12, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
I watched a cat take a shit that I would've thought came from a dog had I not witnessed it. It was impressive. But the dirty ****** didn't even bother to cover it with sand like any decent cat would.

Animals, these days.
His plan is to blame the dog.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3493 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »

Animals, these days.

Typical cat.

Dogs get blamed for everything, these days.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3494 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »

Animals, these days.

Looks like he's going all out, he wants rid of the dog.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3495 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
THE MELODICA IS HERE, Y'ALL. 

Gonna open it up after lunch when I have a goodly break.  Fingers crossed all is well and functional.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3496 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
THE MELODICA IS HERE, Y'ALL. 

Gonna open it up after lunch when I have a goodly break.  Fingers crossed all is well and functional.

Yusssss.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3497 on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen :)
Oh man. I missed the opportunity. If I see it again, I'll for sure bust out my phone and snap some.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3498 on: April 12, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Anyang Halla are the Asia Hockey League Champions for the second year in a row. Went last night. They beat the Russian Sakhalin team in OT.

Great game.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3499 on: April 12, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »
'Lotte' Group is named after Charlotte from Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther"?

'You Know What This Company Needs? More Sturm und Drang'

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-know-what-this-company-needs-some-gloomy-german-literature-1491849521

Walking the grounds of the new Lotte Tower you see this 5 meter bronze statue that looks completely out of place, much like the Trevi-looking fountain that adorns the Jamsil subway station. Look closer and you find out it's apparently a statue of Goethe, the 18th century German poet. You read the placard and you learn that the founder named his chewing gum company after the character Charlotte from "The Sorrows of Young Werther". It sounds completely laughable, like they are retroactively trying to justify the oddly-placed statue by making up some completely implausible origins story for the company (is 롯데 even how the diminutive would be spelled in Korean?!), giving it far more profound associations than seems to be warranted for a Korean snack company. But it's in fact true! The founder Shin Kyuk-ho sounds somewhat obsessed with the work, actually.

As the company navigates one of the rockiest periods in its history, Goethe’s anguished tale has served as a “spiritual and moral guide,” says Park Hyun-chul, chief executive of Lotte Corp., in an interview.

Executives like Mr. Park and the Lotte founder’s son, current Chairman Shin Dong-bin, say they were particularly struck by the intensity of the passion that Werther felt for Charlotte, and the fact Charlotte was so beloved that men would die for her.

I wonder if any Koreans have the same anguished passion for the LOTTE Group.

Anyway, kudos to them for getting the Duty Free license back.

“It’s a good-luck charm,” says Mr. Park, who first read “The Sorrows of Young Werther” about 30 years ago. He says he was struck by how unlike a typical love story it was. “I felt the anguish of not being able to fulfill your dreams,” he says.

The founder's son and current chief executive Shin Dong-bin fashions himself as more of a "Faust" guy, though.

Mr. Shin, who wrested control of the business empire from his older brother, argues that, even though Faust makes a pact with an agent of Satan, “he is hardworking and tries to find the truth, and that is very important.”

http://koreabizwire.com/statue-of-goethe-erected-in-seoul/71131

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment