November 19, 2017, 02:50:48 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402502 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3480 on: April 12, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »
I've been thinking about taking up an instrument to learn.

Plenty of guitars being sold for cheap right now and it's tempting, but the hipster in me says to go for something not so "mainstream" with the foreigner community here.

Maybe a banjo cuz whynot.

Banjo is like curry or chili. Mandolin is like cumin. The Mandolin is really what makes bluegrass come alive, same as cumin with chili and Indian food.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3481 on: April 12, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
I've been thinking about taking up an instrument to learn.

Plenty of guitars being sold for cheap right now and it's tempting, but the hipster in me says to go for something not so "mainstream" with the foreigner community here.

Maybe a banjo cuz whynot.

Get a bass and we'll start an all bass band that no one including ourselves will want to listen to.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3482 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
I'm getting off my lazy arse and learning how to play me some volleyball.  My main goal is to get the damn ball over the net consistently from the far line, dammit.  After hitting the ball around some, I realized that I don't actually lack the strength to get it over the net (as I previously thought).  I just need to fix my stance, aim, and the point of contact when I hit the ball. 

Today I found the PE teacher in the gym after classes and got him to teach me how to properly serve (I recalled a few basics from when I was in school but he definitely fixed a lot of things) along with some methods for solo practice.  While I'm not as shite as I thought I was, I'm definitely far from being where I'd like to be.   

With his limited English and a lot of physical demonstration he was able to teach me exactly what I needed to know.  He's a legit good teacher.  He told me that the women teachers just sit when others practice and told me not to sit.  Hahah.  I was able to convey that I didn't previously know the exercises I learned today but now that I know, I will practice every day.  I think he understood

Also, I feel SO good after exercising when I was feeling pretty down earlier today.  Everyone should deliberately exercise, e'eryday.  Feels great  8)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3483 on: April 13, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
I'm getting off my lazy arse and learning how to play me some volleyball.  My main goal is to get the damn ball over the net consistently from the far line, dammit.  After hitting the ball around some, I realized that I don't actually lack the strength to get it over the net (as I previously thought).  I just need to fix my stance, aim, and the point of contact when I hit the ball. 

Today I found the PE teacher in the gym after classes and got him to teach me how to properly serve (I recalled a few basics from when I was in school but he definitely fixed a lot of things) along with some methods for solo practice.  While I'm not as shite as I thought I was, I'm definitely far from being where I'd like to be.   

With his limited English and a lot of physical demonstration he was able to teach me exactly what I needed to know.  He's a legit good teacher.  He told me that the women teachers just sit when others practice and told me not to sit.  Hahah.  I was able to convey that I didn't previously know the exercises I learned today but now that I know, I will practice every day.  I think he understood

Also, I feel SO good after exercising when I was feeling pretty down earlier today.  Everyone should deliberately exercise, e'eryday.  Feels great  8)

Ugh. I know. I don't like team sports, but exercise is so fantastic. But pushing through that first week of doing it regularly is so dang hard. I've gained like 8kg in the past two years or so, and also I just feel miserable when I don't exercise. But. I need to motivatttttteeeeeeee.

There aren't any parks near my house, though, and the gyms are all expensive as heck. But - I'll have to make myself go.

Waygook.org user yirj17, I'm happy you're having fun with volleyball and practicing.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3484 on: April 13, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »

I started doing school volleyball and I totally forgot how to play too but I somehow got better after not playing for at least 10 years... Probably cuz I was a jerk kid who refused to do sports and barely passed gym class every year, but now I'm trying to not look like a jerk so actually play.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3485 on: April 13, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »
Please be careful...

I've known too many foreigners who have ended up with injuries from playing volleyball here.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3486 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
Please be careful...

I've known too many foreigners who have ended up with injuries from playing volleyball here.

It's because of our frail, weak foreign bodies. We cannot eat spicy food or play sports like volleyball.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3487 on: April 13, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Please be careful...

It's because of our frail, weak foreign bodies. We cannot eat spicy food or play sports like volleyball.

I actually can't eat much spicy food...  :cry: hahaha I fit that stereotype. 

One of the good things about living on school grounds is that there's a gym and I can go there anytime.  This year I'm gonna actually take advantage of that!  I think I'll get the teacher who's good at badminton to let me practice/learn from him too. 

But, fair advice, Pecan.  My school's not very extreme about it (they cheer whenever anyone hits the ball, even if it goes flying nowhere near where it ought to go), so I'm not too worried. 

I started doing school volleyball and I totally forgot how to play too but I somehow got better after not playing for at least 10 years... Probably cuz I was a jerk kid who refused to do sports and barely passed gym class every year, but now I'm trying to not look like a jerk so actually play.

Yesterday I went to the gym to play the usual weekly volleyball but it turned out to be a meetup with other schools so there were waaay more people than usual present.  Usually I just hit the ball from the halfway point and make it over 2/3rds of the time but this time they had told me to go from the furthest point.  Naturally I didn't make it over the net once.   :-[  Ugh, so embarrassing.  No wonder most of the other lady teachers didn't even bother showing up. 

So it's equal parts just wanting to not look like a fool along with a desire to get decent in general.  Also, I need to exercise.  Health and stuff. 

But today, with nobody watching except for some occasional glances from the PE teacher, of course I hit the ball further and higher than ever before.   Hahh

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3488 on: April 13, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
Please be careful...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Today I was asked if I was certain I wanted red pepper paste with my bibimbap. I said yes. There were ooohs and ahhhhs and everybody watched me eat. Seriously it was kiddie red pepper paste, it had no spice or burn to it... NONE and everyone was so shocked that the foreigner could eat it.

While I admit I felt cool, I really wanted to make sure that they didn't think I was now starting to become one with Korea and understand all unique situations, so I made a hoo haa about really not liking Kimchi.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3489 on: April 14, 2017, 08:35:28 AM »
There was some really loud / near yelling coming from the room next to the teachers' office.  I couldn't tell if the teacher was being emphatic or upset.  Maybe both? 

Later the teacher returns to the office followed by the token arsehat.  Ah, now it all makes sense. 

Literally the only times I hear yelling or abnormally loud conversation, that a*hole is always involved.  If the teachers have disagreements among themselves, they discuss things far more peaceably. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:41:06 AM by yirj17 »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3490 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
If I ever get a pet chicken, hen or rooster, I'm naming it Samurai Jack.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3491 on: April 14, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me... So far I have:
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil
Easter chocolates (primarily eggies)
Half a billion boxes of Maple Cookies for my billions of coteachers...

I feel like I can't think of more stuff I need from Canada... Give me suggestions! What am I forgetting?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3492 on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Twinkies.

Canada has twinkies, right?

And Snackwells. Omg I miss Snackwells so much.

Coupang needs to up its game and start including Hostess and Little Debbie products. This is bullshit.

Why is it the only food I ever miss from home is all the junk? No one ever complains about missing veggie chips (which you can buy from the Lotte or Shinsegae department stores, btw).

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3493 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me... So far I have:
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

I feel like I can't think of more stuff I need from Canada... Give me suggestions! What am I forgetting?

Nyquil, obviously.
And Kraft mac n cheese.
I don't know what "eggies" are but if they are Reese's eggs then definitely those.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3494 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

Hawkins Cheezies.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3495 on: April 14, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me

I have a Korean friend who is studying for a masters in England.  He came to Korea last week to see his wife and new baby.  I asked him to bring some marmite, maybe one or two.  He brought me twelve 250 gram jars.  12!!!  That is 3 kgs of Marmite.   ;D

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3496 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

Hawkins Cheezies.

Salt & vinegar chips!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3497 on: April 14, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

Nyquil, obviously.
And Kraft mac n cheese.
I don't know what "eggies" are but if they are Reese's eggs then definitely those.

Eggies are like the candy coated Hershey's chocolate eggs. They're fantastic.
Usually I ask for mac n cheese but I picked some up from costco about a week ago.

I've added pretty much everyones suggestions thusfar. Keep em coming til theres no room in his suitcase for his stuff!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3498 on: April 14, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

You might also want medicine like Midol or Pepto Bismol, too. Vaporub?

I have an incredibly hard time finding quality bras here that will both fit and be something I'll like (because I'm not ****** spending 60K+ won on an ugly bra)... not sure if you have the same problem or if you feel comfortable with asking a male friend to bring you a few of a favorite brand that you might be missing. Because **** the lack of options here.

An epilator, if you hate shaving and also don't want to fuss with wax?

Like, Jello products (especially pudding -- super cheap, makes for great dishes for camps and such, too). You can have some fun with your coTs and make them Jello shots using flavored soju... present them during a 회식 or something.

Ummm, what else... favorite perfume? Good foreign perfumes are hard to come by in Korea unless they're from the most popular lines (like Chanel), not all are available even by post, and many of them are expensive as all **** here. Some more than others.

Favorite scented things in general, like lotions (bath and body works, as an example). They have nice scents here, but don't have the same variety as back home. As such in my own case, nothing here really appeals to my own smelly needs.

Sorry, you're getting my own wishlist.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3499 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

You might also want medicine like Midol or Pepto Bismol, too. Vaporub?

I have an incredibly hard time finding quality bras here that will both fit and be something I'll like (because I'm not ****** spending 60K+ won on an ugly bra)... not sure if you have the same problem or if you feel comfortable with asking a male friend to bring you a few of a favorite brand that you might be missing. Because **** the lack of options here.

An epilator, if you hate shaving and also don't want to fuss with wax?

Like, Jello products (especially pudding -- super cheap, makes for great dishes for camps and such, too). You can have some fun with your coTs and make them Jello shots using flavored soju... present them during a 회식 or something.

Ummm, what else... favorite perfume? Good foreign perfumes are hard to come by in Korea unless they're from the most popular lines (like Chanel), not all are available even by post, and many of them are expensive as all **** here. Some more than others.

Favorite scented things in general, like lotions (bath and body works, as an example). They have nice scents here, but don't have the same variety as back home. As such in my own case, nothing here really appeals to my own smelly needs.

Sorry, you're getting my own wishlist.

Your wishlist is overwhelmingly 'practical-femme.' I like your steez.