September 22, 2017, 01:46:50 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353906 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3360 on: March 31, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »
I started listening to a "top hits of the 2000s" playlist on Youtube and it's fabulous.
I was flipping around on YouTube the other day, and one of the recommended videos was Teens Listen to Music from the 2000s, and one kid looked straight into the camera after being told what the subject was and said "I'm going to do so well on this! I love OLD music."  :huh: :cry: :cry:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3361 on: March 31, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
^Well, what a whippersnapper!

So I found a guitar in the music room that appears to have elixir strings.  Sounds better and plays easier than the others  8)

I should learn some complete songs.  I have a bad habit of learning just intros and pieces and then getting distracted. 

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3362 on: March 31, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3363 on: March 31, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Yeah I felt the same way about it. A bit of a blunt instrument.

If you're just doing it for fun and self-knowledge then, fine I guess, but anybody with an agenda could easily manipulate the results however they wanted. Strange, indeed.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3364 on: March 31, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
For some reason the men in the office seem more interested in playing matchmaker than the women. 

The secretary told me one of the female teachers wasn't getting married-- which gave me all the context I needed for the conversation that followed, wherein the PE and tech. teachers listed the male teachers from neighboring schools and whether they were single or taken.  Lol.  Her overall response was, "ehhh, I don't know."

I wish I knew more Korean to understand the finer details but what little I've gathered is pretty funny  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3365 on: March 31, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
It's strange, right?

When I tell the women that I'm not interested in dating anyone, they accept it.

But the men are always pointing out possibilities to me, in case I change my mind, I guess? xD

And they get kind of pissy with me when I tell them that I'm not planning on having any kids. I'm not against having kids, but I tell them that because it's funny.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3366 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
Oh I can't imagine how they'd react if I told them I don't intend to have kids (though I'd guess mainly confusion/disbelief).  So far only one coT has made a comment of "when you have kids..." and I didn't correct the assumption because I know it'd be a headache involving a lot of "But why???"

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3367 on: March 31, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't know why I think it's funny to push that button, but I do. xD

I never give them the same answers, either. Probably thinking, "This crazy bitch, no wonder she's still single."

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3368 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
Lol it's funny the men care so much.  It's as if they're thinking, "Don't worry!! You won't be alone!! We will find you a match!" 

I'm not sure if the female teacher is completely disinterested in dating or if she just hasn't met anyone she actually likes yet.   I was tempted to ask her if she doesn't like men and likes women instead hahah

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3369 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
I know I'm late but just want to jump on the CO2 love bandwagon today.  I'd quite like to be mates with him; I think we'd get on well.

Sorry to hear about the break up, keep your chin up  :smiley:

Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3370 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

So I found a guitar in the music room that appears to have elixir strings.  Sounds better and plays easier than the others  8)

I should learn some complete songs.  I have a bad habit of learning just intros and pieces and then getting distracted.

I hate elixer, the coating flakes off and they feel weird.  But yeah I would be happy to have them here.  I'm not sure if any of the guitars at my school have ever had their strings changed.

Also, I'm the same way with complete songs. I've been playing for like 15 years and only know a handful of complete songs.  I much rather jam along by myself.  It doesn't really impress people though when they ask me to play something for them.   :sad:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3371 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
I made a very festive "Welcome to English class!" sign and taped it outside my door. No one aside from my main coteacher noticed. I know it's dorky but still. :sad:

And that's why you should never try to do anything nice.

(I'm joking - keep doing nice things because at least that means you're cool)

Re: the coffee in milk thing - when I first came to Korea I used to get refused and given the "You want a latte now?" thing a lot. But that's probably mostly due to the fact that I couldn't really communicate what I wanted.

Now most people will hook you up with that premium milk splash life - but yeah. So amazing when you come across people working in a coffee shop that have never encountered that.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3372 on: March 31, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

I hate elixer, the coating flakes off and they feel weird.  But yeah I would be happy to have them here.  I'm not sure if any of the guitars at my school have ever had their strings changed.

Also, I'm the same way with complete songs. I've been playing for like 15 years and only know a handful of complete songs.  I much rather jam along by myself.  It doesn't really impress people though when they ask me to play something for them.   :sad:

The coating does flake off after time but I like the quality for the price (compared to violin strings, guitar ones are so inexpensive!).  I use them on my guitar back home. 

At any rate, definitely better than whatever cheap strings are usually on the school guitars. 

I'd like to be able to sing and play simultaneously (not that I can sing, but it'd be fun for my solo jam sessions) but Idk if that's a skill that can be learned or if my brain just can't handle those two separate things at once. 

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3373 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »
I ironically posted Will Smith - Miami in that topic about teaching students with 'the rap musics' and unfortunately I've had that song stuck in my head since then.

Nothing can get it out.

Also those "Kids react to _______ from the 90s/2000s are painful and engineered specifically to make people in their late 20s / early 30s feel old and sad."

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3374 on: March 31, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
This is such a bizarre idea. I mean, it's a wonderful gesture - on paper - but I can't imagine how it could be sustainable or effective. This seems like the epitome of a 'look what we're doing to help! Look! Look look look!!' project. Also, the fact that there's an extension cord / power bar in the picture really, really bothers me.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3031633&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

Lotte Department Store in Yeongdeungpo District, western Seoul, opened a Mom’s Lounge on March 29. The lounge is specifically designed to provide services and programs for mothers-to-be.

Last May, Lotte signed a memorandum of understanding with the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. Since then, the company has remained dedicated to supporting women. Pregnant staff members are required to take maternity leave and work fewer hours. In January, the company introduced required paternity leave for the first time in the industry. Additionally, the company provides career development services for women who left the job market to get married and have children.

Mom’s Lounge is part of the company’s “Happy Family, Good Parents” project, and strives to create an ideal environment for people to give birth. In the lounge, pregnant customers can indulge in healthy pumpkin juice, pear juice, and kudzu root juice, complemented by snacks including walnuts and almonds, as well as other healthy snacks.

Also, there is a separate zone for people to listen to music, watch movies and get foot massages, in efforts to help them have healthier babies. On the opening day, the lounge offered Pasteur Mom’s Lactobacillus, a baby formula, to visitors.

The area is designed to be eco-friendly, an ideal environment for women who are soon to be mothers. Lotte built the facility with ash trees to reduce allergy risks and minimized the use of glue in the construction. The walls are painted with water-based paints that are odorless and have less toxic materials.

National Assembly member Kim Young-joo, Korea Green Foundation President Choi Yul, Lotte Department Store Marketing Director Kim Dae-soo and customers who are expecting participated in the opening ceremony. To respond to the current low birth rate, Lotte will continue to encourage giving birth and contribute to forming a better environment for raising children.

“We believe that families, the basic unit of our society, must be happy in order for the entire nation to be happy. Therefore, we opened a lounge where pregnant women can rest comfortably,” said Marketing Director Kim. “Lotte Department Store strives to help people make happy families, which will ultimately brighten our nation’s future.”

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3375 on: March 31, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
It's strange, right?

When I tell the women that I'm not interested in dating anyone, they accept it.

But the men are always pointing out possibilities to me, in case I change my mind, I guess? xD

And they get kind of pissy with me when I tell them that I'm not planning on having any kids. I'm not against having kids, but I tell them that because it's funny.

I'm 40 and childless. Oddly no one has ever asked me why. Maybe they just think I am beyond child bearing age. If I did get the question though, I would probably just say i don't like kids   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3376 on: March 31, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
It's stare-sort-of-cross-eyed-into-computer-screen-with-slight-grin o'clock.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3377 on: March 31, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »

티지어이아프

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #3378 on: March 31, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »
Fire Friday!!!!!
AKA Shopping day, get all the foods!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3379 on: March 31, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »

The coating does flake off after time but I like the quality for the price (compared to violin strings, guitar ones are so inexpensive!).  I use them on my guitar back home. 

At any rate, definitely better than whatever cheap strings are usually on the school guitars. 

I'd like to be able to sing and play simultaneously (not that I can sing, but it'd be fun for my solo jam sessions) but Idk if that's a skill that can be learned or if my brain just can't handle those two separate things at once.

Ah same here! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have any level of coordination.  I can never get more than a few bars of singing and playing before I get horribly off beat from concentrating too much on singing or my voice is off key from concentrating too much on the playing. 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment