November 18, 2017, 11:50:11 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401889 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3320 on: March 30, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
So I just ordered a melodica.  I need an odd little instrument to learn.  Stoked~

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3321 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
So I just ordered a melodica.  I need an odd little instrument to learn.  Stoked~

Yo let's start a band. You play that, I'll play my otamatone. We'll call ourselves "Memories of Camden"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXIDN11fYyY

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3322 on: March 30, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »
You have an otamatone?!?  We need to be friends!!!  Have you seen the yappy little dog ones?!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3323 on: March 30, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
You have an otamatone?!?  We need to be friends!!!  Have you seen the yappy little dog ones?!

Lol yeah I got it in the summer and use it to annoy the poop out of my hamster. I bought too many dumb instruments here otherwise that melodica would be mine... I haven't seen the dog ones. I'm intrigued now and might need one to enhance my hamster annoying abilities... Jarvis has been being a terrible room mate lately and needs to be put in her place...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3324 on: March 30, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »

Lol yeah I got it in the summer and use it to annoy the poop out of my hamster. I bought too many dumb instruments here otherwise that melodica would be mine... I haven't seen the dog ones. I'm intrigued now and might need one to enhance my hamster annoying abilities... Jarvis has been being a terrible room mate lately and needs to be put in her place...

You can certainly annoy your hamster with one of these:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3325 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »

You can certainly annoy your hamster with one of these:

Ahahah that's fantastic. I need 12. Too bad I don't have room for 12 >.< or even one :'( I need to have less random stuff....

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3326 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Now I need to figure out what little weirdo flittered off with it, and to what end.

Maybe the same kid someone mentioned that's making off with nice high heeled shoes  :wink:

Well now the spoon is back in its cup.

Someone is definitely ****** with me today. xD

Pardon me while I go wash this spoon.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3327 on: March 30, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Well now the spoon is back in its cup.

Someone is definitely ****** with me today. xD

Pardon me while I go wash this spoon.

My mind went immediately to

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3328 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
My wife and I went to snag some lunch today. I got my usual coffee + milk. I pick up the cup and it's like half full. Take a sip and it's ice cold and tastes like milk.

Upon hearing Americano + milk the lady behind the counter took an espresso shot and then dumped a full thing of milk in with it.

We go back up and the manager just looks at us, listens to what my wife says and knows what I need instantly. He's doing this massive eye roll response as the adjumma behind him is saying she had never heard of that before. The other two college kids behind the counter + adjumma watch him make the drink like he is turning water into wine.

I was surprised as this was on the campus of a major university with a large contingent of foreign students (and I imagine exchange students). I can't be the first white guy who can't handle black coffee.

I've been denied a dash of cold milk in my coffee several times in Korea. They tell me I have to order a latte if I want that and don't seem to see the difference between steamed milk filling the majority of the cup vs. a teaspoon of cold milk. I know it's not that common here to put milk in coffee, but it's funny how some people can't even comprehend it. It's weird how it never even crosses their mind to put something other than sugar in their bitter coffee.

A Korean friend told me to tell them that they drink it that way in Europe, even if it's a lie, because it'll get them to do it lol

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3329 on: March 30, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »

I've been denied a dash of cold milk in my coffee several times in Korea. They tell me I have to order a latte if I want that and don't seem to see the difference between steamed milk filling the majority of the cup vs. a teaspoon of cold milk. I know it's not that common here to put milk in coffee, but it's funny how some people can't even comprehend it. It's weird how it never even crosses their mind to put something other than sugar in their bitter coffee.

This is the best part, they act like you've invented a new category of beverage.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3330 on: March 30, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »
My wife and I went to snag some lunch today. I got my usual coffee + milk. I pick up the cup and it's like half full. Take a sip and it's ice cold and tastes like milk.

Upon hearing Americano + milk the lady behind the counter took an espresso shot and then dumped a full thing of milk in with it.

We go back up and the manager just looks at us, listens to what my wife says and knows what I need instantly. He's doing this massive eye roll response as the adjumma behind him is saying she had never heard of that before. The other two college kids behind the counter + adjumma watch him make the drink like he is turning water into wine.

I was surprised as this was on the campus of a major university with a large contingent of foreign students (and I imagine exchange students). I can't be the first white guy who can't handle black coffee.

A Korean friend told me to tell them that they drink it that way in Europe, even if it's a lie, because it'll get them to do it lol

I've only been to one place that straight up refused to do it. It was ofc the one right next to my school. That's just how life works...

I also get the latte thing a lot (full disclosure,  prior to your explanation I had no clue what a latte was other than that it was not the same as what I wanted).

But yeah, that was the most amusing part of the experience. The three employees watching the boss mix up a coffee with milk like it was magic was just priceless.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3331 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
I made a very festive "Welcome to English class!" sign and taped it outside my door. No one aside from my main coteacher noticed. I know it's dorky but still. :sad:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3332 on: March 30, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
I know I'm late but just want to jump on the CO2 love bandwagon today.  I'd quite like to be mates with him; I think we'd get on well.

Sorry to hear about the break up, keep your chin up  :smiley:

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3333 on: March 31, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
That teeth sucking noise is the loudest noise on the planet. It penetrates my music like nothing...it never..goes...away... :huh:

Sssssst!!! I really enjoy it actually.  That and 'nng'.  Both serve a distinct purpose in the language.  Sssst to me is like 'Oh I don't know about that' or when you have to stop to think about something for only a nanosecond before continuing your response.  And 'nng' is the best way to agree with something without going through the effort of actually saying words.  It makes me wonder what kinds of things we do in English that we never really notice as native speakers.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3334 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:37 AM »
I started listening to a "top hits of the 2000s" playlist on Youtube and it's fabulous. 

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #3335 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
I like the look of confusion when i hold the door open for Koreans.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3336 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
I started listening to a "top hits of the 2000s" playlist on Youtube and it's fabulous.
I was flipping around on YouTube the other day, and one of the recommended videos was Teens Listen to Music from the 2000s, and one kid looked straight into the camera after being told what the subject was and said "I'm going to do so well on this! I love OLD music."  :huh: :cry: :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3337 on: March 31, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
^Well, what a whippersnapper!

So I found a guitar in the music room that appears to have elixir strings.  Sounds better and plays easier than the others  8)

I should learn some complete songs.  I have a bad habit of learning just intros and pieces and then getting distracted. 

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3338 on: March 31, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3339 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Yeah I felt the same way about it. A bit of a blunt instrument.

If you're just doing it for fun and self-knowledge then, fine I guess, but anybody with an agenda could easily manipulate the results however they wanted. Strange, indeed.