November 19, 2017, 11:48:06 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402772 times)

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
I can't decide if a Canon 70D is worth the swivel screen compared to a nikon 7200 or something.... the struggle is real.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
I'm tired of eating weeds for lunch. We may as well graze on the mountainside.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
I can't decide if a Canon 70D is worth the swivel screen compared to a nikon 7200 or something.... the struggle is real.

Watched the Apple keynote yesterday and now am waiting for Microsoft's in October.  I've decided I want a high-end tablet for traveling instead of a computer, and I can't decide between an iPad Pro or a Surface 4.  First world problems, eh? :rolleyes:

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »

Speaking as someone who opted for the option with no swivel (before), my opinion is to get the swivel. It becomes more useful than you can imagine.
Open your mind.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »

Speaking as someone who opted for the option with no swivel (before), my opinion is to get the swivel. It becomes more useful than you can imagine.

as someone with a canon 70D - don't bother the autofocus is freaking awful. If you are going to end up going for a canon and want to save a bit of money go with the 60d and put the difference into a decent lens, or in saving for when you want to upgrade the body. I hate the 70d and wish I had saved a bit of my money to plump my savings for the 5D mark 3.

having said that my previous camera was a nikon d300 which had great autofocus but was poor in low light, which had become a problem for me.
Also I personally find nikon is better with skin tones colour wise so it depends on your subject.
Personally I barely use my swivel screen unless i need to hold my camera over my head to get the shot.

ETA: All my friends who also have the 70d regret the purchase and have problems with the autofocus so it's not poor handling on my part, and I use a 70-200 L f2.8 IS 2, it's not the lens because my friend use the tamron equivilent lens and have the exact same problems. If you want to camera for low light/high speed photography it's a nightmare because the autofocus is horrific below f 3.5 and even then it is constantly 'wandering'.
It's good at video though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:15:44 PM by youwontsendmeavalidatione »

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »

as someone with a canon 70D - don't bother the autofocus is freaking awful. If you are going to end up going for a canon and want to save a bit of money go with the 60d and put the difference into a decent lens, or in saving for when you want to upgrade the body. I hate the 70d and wish I had saved a bit of my money to plump my savings for the 5D mark 3.

having said that my previous camera was a nikon d300 which had great autofocus but was poor in low light, which had become a problem for me.
Also I personally find nikon is better with skin tones colour wise so it depends on your subject.
Personally I barely use my swivel screen unless i need to hold my camera over my head to get the shot.

ETA: All my friends who also have the 70d regret the purchase and have problems with the autofocus so it's not poor handling on my part, and I use a 70-200 L f2.8 IS 2, it's not the lens because my friend use the tamron equivilent lens and have the exact same problems. If you want to camera for low light/high speed photography it's a nightmare because the autofocus is horrific below f 3.5 and even then it is constantly 'wandering'.

Good to know,

I was actually thinking about the Nikon 7200 because it had a audio out, and a little bit better specs. However no swivel.

Only reason I was looking at the 70D, everyone says Nikon has terrible video, and swivel screen would be nice for video...

5D mark III is out of my price range.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

Good to know,

I was actually thinking about the Nikon 7200 because it had a audio out, and a little bit better specs. However no swivel.

Only reason I was looking at the 70D, everyone says Nikon has terrible video, and swivel screen would be nice for video...

It depends on what you want the camera for, what you are shooting, which features are more important, how much you are willing to spend including accessories, and what kind of level you are at, how frequently you will end up using the camera etc... Like I want to 5D mark 3 because I use my camera at least 3 times a week and the pictures I take need to be the kind of quality if I want to print them large or use them for goods I can.

Nikon...aren't that great at video until you get to their higher range, while canon are great for video across the board. And at their top range canon still trumps Nikon for video whuch is why canons are used for music video shoots and television recordings but Nikons tend to not. I used a Nikon for 4 years for street and studio which was perfect. I then needed a fast camera that could handle low light which is why I switched to canon. The general rule is Canon for video/sports (or any fast photography), Nikon for any studio and portraits with them kind of tied for landscape and wildlife (though canon have more speed/accessories for wildlife).

((I worked for 3 years as an adviser in a camera store selling SLRs. I don't know everything about new cameras on the market but I know enough about both brands and their ranges to point you in the right direction XD)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:30:26 PM by youwontsendmeavalidatione »

YoungMin

« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »
youwontsendmeavalidatione's username taking up half my screen pisses me off.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2015, 02:57:47 PM »

I would change my username but (as my UN might suggest) this account had to be made after an attempt on changing my password or something on a previous account lead to me being locked out as i repeatedly failed to receive a validation email.
in anger I signed up again as 'you won't send me a validation email'.
If I try to change my username I, once again, will likely be locked off the site.
Not my fault to mods/admins on this sight suck.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »

Good to know,

It depends on what you want the camera for, what you are shooting, which features are more important, how much you are willing to spend including accessories, and what kind of level you are at, how frequently you will end up using the camera etc... Like I want to 5D mark 3 because I use my camera at least 3 times a week and the pictures I take need to be the kind of quality if I want to print them large or use them for goods I can.

Nikon...aren't that great at video until you get to their higher range, while canon are great for video across the board. And at their top range canon still trumps Nikon for video whuch is why canons are used for music video shoots and television recordings but Nikons tend to not. I used a Nikon for 4 years for street and studio which was perfect. I then needed a fast camera that could handle low light which is why I switched to canon. The general rule is Canon for video/sports (or any fast photography), Nikon for any studio and portraits with them kind of tied for landscape and wildlife (though canon have more speed/accessories for wildlife).

((I worked for 3 years as an adviser in a camera store selling SLRs. I don't know everything about new cameras on the market but I know enough about both brands and their ranges to point you in the right direction XD)

Yeah I am leaning towards canon.

I don't really do a lot of studio portrait stuff, but I am going to be doing a lot of video work.

Maybe I should just save and get the 5D III

Offline calypso_queen

• Adventurer
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »

I would change my username but (as my UN might suggest) this account had to be made after an attempt on changing my password or something on a previous account lead to me being locked out as i repeatedly failed to receive a validation email.
If I try to change my username I, once again, will likely be locked off the site.

be nice to the moderators...they helped me change my username without any issues!

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »

there are a few people here who's names go over the little box thingy. kinda messes with my OCD tendencies a bit  :laugh: could be easily fixed by working out how many characters that box can fit, and imposing a character limit on usernames.

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »

be nice to the moderators...they helped me change my username without any issues!

How! i wanna change my user

Offline DireneedofDrPepper

• Veteran
« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »
This thread kinda makes me want other pointless day of the week threads. Can't you just see Moany Mondays and Twisted Tuesday Thoughts? Or a Humpday thread?

Offline Sillyleaf

• Adventurer
« Reply #334 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
My poor MacBook pro is on its last legs. It got me through my degree and 3 years in Korea.   :sad:   7-ish years of use and abuse seems like a good amount of time.

Since I have a windows laptop I use for moderate gaming  I don't really need a new MacBook. (I don't have a preference for either OS)

I'm looking into ipads and tablets as a more light  and easy to travel with option.  No clue what to look into specifically , I want to  read, watch some videos and possibly doodle/sketch when bored.

Anyways, my pointless little ramble~

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #335 on: September 18, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »
Did this week go by SUPER fast for anyone? I woke up kind of in disbelief that it was already Friday.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #336 on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
I have used this pointless Friday to decided which movies I will go to see at BIFF. I made my pointless Friday a little less pointless.

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #337 on: September 18, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »
My poor MacBook pro is on its last legs. It got me through my degree and 3 years in Korea.   :sad:   7-ish years of use and abuse seems like a good amount of time.

Since I have a windows laptop I use for moderate gaming  I don't really need a new MacBook. (I don't have a preference for either OS)

I'm looking into ipads and tablets as a more light  and easy to travel with option.  No clue what to look into specifically , I want to  read, watch some videos and possibly doodle/sketch when bored.

Anyways, my pointless little ramble~

Well I cannot give you any technical advice but I do suggest NOT getting a Kindle Fire. I was impressed with it's spec's but it is clunky and slow and it's really hard to multitask - especially when you decide to switch programmes from the multi tasking bar and then it closes down the previous item which you discover when you switch back and end up at the start up window for the programme you were using. It drives me nuts, I wish I had sprung for an actual android tablet. That's my ramble back at you.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
Who else is really sick of the video trend of people smiling at their camera while holding up pre-written-on flash cards while an inspirational song plays in the background

I was going to say Bob Dylan would be spinning in his grave but then I remembered he is still alive.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
decided to go with the 7DmII instead of the 70d or the nikon 7200