September 25, 2017, 05:10:11 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356478 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3140 on: March 14, 2017, 03:26:42 PM »
Why don't any of my elementary schools have water coolers? All my middle schools have had them and my high school as well, but in the 3 I've taught at they haven't had one...would be nice to fill up my water bottle in the day.
I've been 2 years at this school which has water coolers on every floor and in every teacher office... I'm not going to look forward to changing if that is a common thing. I remember my school before this one had one though.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3141 on: March 14, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Why don't any of my elementary schools have water coolers? All my middle schools have had them and my high school as well, but in the 3 I've taught at they haven't had one...would be nice to fill up my water bottle in the day.

I was shocked to find out that those massive water machines you get in schools don't filter out anything at all, they just cool the water.  In the morning the teachers just fill up the jugs with water from the tap that then gets used in the kettle and coffee machine.   :sad:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3142 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »

I was shocked to find out that those massive water machines you get in schools don't filter out anything at all, they just cool the water.  In the morning the teachers just fill up the jugs with water from the tap that then gets used in the kettle and coffee machine.   :sad:

Why would they?

Most of Korea has modern water treatment plants.

What are you looking to filter out?

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3143 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
My co and I were talking about how wild the kids can be and what we can do to manage them. According to her Korean children used to be better, but after the Japanese invaded their classroom behavior has gone downhill.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3144 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
My co and I were talking about how wild the kids can be and what we can do to manage them. According to her Korean children used to be better, but after the Japanese invaded their classroom behavior has gone downhill.

Did they have schools?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3145 on: March 14, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
Got released from my travel school early and on the way home a random trucker stopped by me.  Initially I was like "oh crud, I'm not even going to understand the question" but then I heard "motel" and was able to honestly respond, "I don't know." Fortunately the mailman was just ahead and able to better help the man.

Then as I passed the mailman he asked if I was going to the middle school.  Indeed I was, so he dropped off the day's mail/parcels on me and I played the part of deliverer.  Lol

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3146 on: March 14, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
That is 100% nonsense.  Japan brought order, discipline, etc. to Korea.

Sounds like your coteacher learned fake history.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3147 on: March 14, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
One of the new teachers asked if I was married and had a son...

I know it's typical here to inquire about one's family and even relationship status but this is the first time someone's asked me if I have a child. 

Somewhat of a surprise as usually I'm mistaken for being much younger, hah

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3148 on: March 14, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »
That is 100% nonsense.  Japan brought order, discipline, etc. to Korea.

Sounds like your coteacher learned fake history.
Yeah she's not the biggest fan of Japan.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3149 on: March 15, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3150 on: March 15, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

It's so weird that he wouldn't agree with that setup!  It sounds pretty standard.

Fill us in tomorrow if you can  :P

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3151 on: March 15, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why keep the mutherf*cking doors open!?

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:44:05 PM by BTeacher »

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3152 on: March 15, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »

I haven't had to focus on the book the last couple of years, and the KETs and I have been working great together. A new KET came this semester and is now complaining that I don't cover the textbook (I cover the main content, but without using the actual book). Complains there is too much work on the KETs part. Although, no other teachers have had the problem (even those with homeroom classes and other "higher positions"), and even encouraged me to not use it, so that the students don't get so bogged down. We shall see...

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3153 on: March 15, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.

Weird. I've seen staff taking their lunch or dinner hundreds of times when I've walked into a restaurant here, and literally never once been refused service. They always immediately get up from eating and take my order and go prepare it.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3154 on: March 15, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »

Tell me about it. So many places do it. The samsung service center shuts down for 90 minutes so all the engineers, CS people etc, like 25-30 of them can all eat at the same time. It's nuts. I can kind of understand a small operation with only one worker. But it's so stupid.
Big hospitals too. Just stagger your goddamn eating time.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3155 on: March 15, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
BT, thanks for the post.

Yeah, it's pretty odd how they all must eat together.

Greece is like the worst, as for two hours every day of the week, banks and the like are all closed so they can eat lunch and have a "μεσημεριανός ύπνος" (siesta) together.

Not to hijack, but before Pizza Hut and the like arrived in Korea (western influence), you could not order an actual "cheese" pizza here.  They would put corn, onions, etc. on their "cheese" pizza.

It happened so many times, I would ask for a pizza with only sauce and cheese, and they would say "NO.  It's not delicious."  I would be like "What? You don't have to eat it.  I'm going to eat it."  They said, "Sorry. It's not possible."  It was a no-can-do.

No coffee shops brewed coffee prior to Starbucks apart from the 4-5 star hotels...it was madness :)  Coffee shops served instant stick coffee with sugar and powdered creamer mixed in those disposable paper cups.  Funny, but sad.

It will take further influence from the west before businesses adopt "best practices".

Be grateful that banks now stagger staff during lunch time.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3156 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »

우리나라, 제발 이해해
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3157 on: March 15, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Is it rice cake day or something? I've gotten four today. Desperately chasing down children so I can give them away.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3158 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
I know most people are opposite, but I actually like the rice cakes. Though not the green grassy type.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3159 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Same here, except I also like the green grassy type.

They're extremely filling, though. I can't eat more than one or two at a time, and yet I always end up with a ton.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment