November 19, 2017, 01:46:03 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401999 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3140 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
I know most people are opposite, but I actually like the rice cakes. Though not the green grassy type.

When I eat them, I feel like I'm eating a week's worth of calories - and not the good kind of calories.

I can't stand the slimey taste of the white and green ones.  I avoid them at all costs.  I still don't get the '맛있어!' comments when people eat them, considering Korean people are so obsessed with spicey or tasty food, that they can taste something that is soooooooo subtle that it doesn't exist.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3141 on: March 15, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »
Same here, except I also like the green grassy type.

They're extremely filling, though. I can't eat more than one or two at a time, and yet I always end up with a ton.
Yeah, they are really filling. I can only eat one or 2 at a time.

But they are so heavy and calorie dense probably.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3142 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Why was the BBC interview nanny/mother thread deleted?  :lipsrsealed:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3143 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

I haven't had to focus on the book the last couple of years, and the KETs and I have been working great together. A new KET came this semester and is now complaining that I don't cover the textbook (I cover the main content, but without using the actual book). Complains there is too much work on the KETs part. Although, no other teachers have had the problem (even those with homeroom classes and other "higher positions"), and even encouraged me to not use it, so that the students don't get so bogged down. We shall see...
Oh man, last year I had freedom doing almost all after school classes and this year I'm at a school where my ct is super nervous but dedicated to teaching together and he wants only book. That's tons of fun for our ONE STUDENT IN THE ENTIRE 5TH GRADE CLASS. After the horror show that was last week he let up and is allowing me to do a bomb game for a review lesson. it's painful to go by the book and especially with small classes! I can't drag out the "talk with friends" parts if there's one or no other kids in the class o.o He's 100% babying the kids and holding them back because if they even go outside of the book sentences he tells them off. No more of 4th graders being hungry apparently... They can only be good, fine, or not so good...

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3144 on: March 15, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

I haven't had to focus on the book the last couple of years, and the KETs and I have been working great together. A new KET came this semester and is now complaining that I don't cover the textbook (I cover the main content, but without using the actual book). Complains there is too much work on the KETs part. Although, no other teachers have had the problem (even those with homeroom classes and other "higher positions"), and even encouraged me to not use it, so that the students don't get so bogged down. We shall see...
Oh man, last year I had freedom doing almost all after school classes and this year I'm at a school where my ct is super nervous but dedicated to teaching together and he wants only book. That's tons of fun for our ONE STUDENT IN THE ENTIRE 5TH GRADE CLASS. After the horror show that was last week he let up and is allowing me to do a bomb game for a review lesson. it's painful to go by the book and especially with small classes! I can't drag out the "talk with friends" parts if there's one or no other kids in the class o.o He's 100% babying the kids and holding them back because if they even go outside of the book sentences he tells them off. No more of 4th graders being hungry apparently... They can only be good, fine, or not so good...

That's frustrating. I religiously use the book as a baseline for the minimum of what the kids need to learn and know. For higher level students, I can add some more challenging or interesting material, but as far as low level kids, the main goal is to a) make them feel at least a little comfortable with English even though they're not excelling at it, and b) get them to be able to at least approximate knowing the material they're required to learn.

But yeah, if he actively discourages them from using English not found in that lesson, that is dumb.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3145 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why keep the mutherf*cking doors open!?

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.

Lol one time I went to a restaurant to find it literally empty of people-- the door was unlocked and nobody was to be found.  Guess they took a break and didn't bother putting a sign on the door nor locking it. This was way out in the countryside so I guess they weren't particularly concerned with theft.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3146 on: March 15, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why keep the mutherf*cking doors open!?

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.

Lol one time I went to a restaurant to find it literally empty of people-- the door was unlocked and nobody was to be found.  Guess they took a break and didn't bother putting a sign on the door nor locking it. This was way out in the countryside so I guess they weren't particularly concerned with theft.

아싸! 득템!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3147 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »

That's frustrating. I religiously use the book as a baseline for the minimum of what the kids need to learn and know. For higher level students, I can add some more challenging or interesting material, but as far as low level kids, the main goal is to a) make them feel at least a little comfortable with English even though they're not excelling at it, and b) get them to be able to at least approximate knowing the material they're required to learn.

But yeah, if he actively discourages them from using English not found in that lesson, that is dumb.

When I met my new 3rd grade elementary kids, I was about to start a video (about St. Patrick's day!) and asked them, "Ready??" to see if they would respond "Go!"

I was delighted to hear some kids yell, "ACTION!!" until my coT immediately stomped on all of them and told them all to only say, "Go!"  :rolleyes:  >:( 

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3148 on: March 15, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »

When I met my new 3rd grade elementary kids, I was about to start a video (about St. Patrick's day!) and asked them, "Ready??" to see if they would respond "Go!"

I was delighted to hear some kids yell, "ACTION!!" until my coT immediately stomped on all of them and told them all to only say, "Go!"  :rolleyes:  >:(

Eye roll. That's dumb. Everyone is dumb. UGH.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3149 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »

My biggest class at that school is 5 kids so I;m not opposed to doing some textbook stuff but it's the games I change. I don't think this CT looks at the book before class because I told him I was changing the rules of a game because we don't have enough students to play it (it was supposed to be groups of 6 kids and there were 3 in that class) and he's like "the students must learn the book". I have no problem doing the book sentences and I encourage kids to use other words that they can use with the target sentences, but this guy wants to do the exact lesson plan the book gives and it just doesn't work. I prep backup games for the lesson anyways because it's pretty likely that we'll need them.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3150 on: March 15, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
Did someone say Greengrass?

You, sir, have baffled me once again. I'm sure there's something really nerdy and dad-jokey there that I would probably appreciate if I actually got the ref. xD

Why was the BBC interview nanny/mother thread deleted?  :lipsrsealed:

Because we're savages.

As an update, they've posted an updated video on the interrupting kids/mother: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39267005

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3151 on: March 15, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
Did someone say Greengrass?

You, sir, have baffled me once again. I'm sure there's something really nerdy and dad-jokey there that I would probably appreciate if I actually got the ref. xD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_(UK_TV_series)

He's the schemer on the show. Any Brit here over age 25 will know this show. My parents watched it on TVO in Canada so I grew up watching it with them. Which explains why I'm so weird now. While y'all were watching cartoons, I was studying the interpersonal relationships of a small police station in York. hahahahha

Basically I saw an excuse to trigger some Brits nostalgia button on Waygook.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3152 on: March 15, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »

Ugh.  :rolleyes:

I've encountered this before. Strict book-believers who'd rather I play the stilted videos (NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT WHERE DO THEY EVEN FIND THESE PEOPLE) than have the kids do an activity in which they'd actually use the language on their own. I don't know, man. I don't know.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3153 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »

Ugh.  :rolleyes:

I've encountered this before. Strict book-believers who'd rather I play the stilted videos (NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT WHERE DO THEY EVEN FIND THESE PEOPLE) than have the kids do an activity in which they'd actually use the language on their own. I don't know, man. I don't know.

The YBM books have a Korean Mom, in the video portion, who sounds like the female, Korean, Vincent Price.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3154 on: March 15, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
My KET at one of my schools has requested that I only teach for 20 minutes, then he will take over. So I see each grade once a week for 20 minutes. Part of me is horrified, and part of me is pretty happy about the lack of work I have to do.

Also, I am so used to having to do a shit ton of work prepping for classes (as was required last contract) that now when the after school coordinator came to speak to me and I had all the lesson plans done for the semester with an overview for reference and it was all filed, he told me that I am crazy to do that much work and I just need to "pretend that I planned". I am starting to understand why other people like their public school gigs. So glad I requested transfer.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:27:17 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3155 on: March 16, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
New classroom is near the music room, so I get to hear it whenever the kiddies are practicing for whatever.

Right now, someone is piano-jamming that sad theme song from Inuyasha. I'm actually a little impressed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:10:28 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3156 on: March 16, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »
My KET at one of my schools has requested that I only teach for 20 minutes, then he will take over. So I see each grade once a week for 20 minutes. Part of me is horrified, and part of me is pretty happy about the lack of work I have to do.

Also, I am so used to having to do a shit ton of work prepping for classes (as was required last contract) that now when the after school coordinator came to speak to me and I had all the lesson plans done for the semester with an overview for reference and it was all filed, he told me that I am crazy to do that much work and I just need to "pretend that I planned". I am starting to understand why other people like their public school gigs. So glad I requested transfer.

I had a similar arrangement with my ct last year but it was basically her hurrying through the textbook and doing all the garbage parts and then I'd plan a game or activity for the end of class. I liked that cuz I hate pressing play on a video then telling the kids to repeat it. Granted I still saw each class 2-4 more times a week for after school, but those coteaching classes were nice and easy.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3157 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
The YBM books have a Korean Mom, in the video portion, who sounds like the female, Korean, Vincent Price.
Speaking of Vincent Price, they are remaking The Fly again.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3158 on: March 16, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
Found this in my odengtang.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3159 on: March 16, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Found this in my odengtang.

This is the best.