November 19, 2017, 02:53:48 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402513 times)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3060 on: March 08, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »

Did you get a refund as it was your first few years in public school? 

I'm Canadian so I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes. Even the first couple years  :sad:

http://www.korvia.com/residency-certificate/

Regardless, the refund I received was much smaller than the taxes I paid so I don't think the refund was due to any tax exemption.

The reason I don't really understand how it is done, or whether I trust the admin to do it without me knowing, is the variety I've heard of from other people. 

Exactly. I've got a couple friends on the same pay scale as I am and the tax difference is big. Like scary big. I'm willing to chalk up some of the disparity to different spending habits and poor memories, but it did throw up some warning signs for me.

Thanks for the link and info Mr Stepz! Or are you more of Dave Teacher kind of guy?  :cheesy:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3061 on: March 08, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
Samgyeopsal is honestly one of the most disappointing foods, especially if it's just garden variety low quality meat. If you have decent quality meat that isn't 80% fat, it can be pretty awesome, but four out of five times it's just a basic food for basic people.

Absolutely. Moksal or Dwaej Galbi anyday. So Balgi is really good too.

Balgi? I don't know balgi. Honestly, I think galbi of all forms is extremely overrated. I don't get it, really.

갈매기살 is probably my favourite cut of pork. I couldn't bring myself to romanize that, though.

I think I just prefer marinated meats overall. But seriously, I'd rather have even basic bulgogi anyday. Anything else

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3062 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »
We are exempted for the first 2 years only.

I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes from the get-go. I know I paid something they told me were taxes my first two years here. This link seems to agree with that:

I may be blowing hot air all over the place though.

@other Canucks: do we or don't we have to pay taxes our first two years here?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #3063 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes from the get-go. I know I paid something they told me were taxes my first two years here. This link seems to agree with that:

Maybe it has changed throughout the years then.

Did you get a refund as it was your first few years in public school? 

I'm Canadian so I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes. Even the first couple years  :sad:

Regardless, the refund I received was much smaller than the taxes I paid so I don't think the refund was due to any tax exemption.

The reason I don't really understand how it is done, or whether I trust the admin to do it without me knowing, is the variety I've heard of from other people. 

Exactly. I've got a couple friends on the same pay scale as I am and the tax difference is big. Like scary big. I'm willing to chalk up some of the disparity to different spending habits and poor memories, but it did throw up some warning signs for me.

Thanks for the link and info Mr Stepz! Or are you more of Dave Teacher kind of guy?  :cheesy:
My deduction was just over 500,000 this year which is not bad but I think its because I made a fuss about the amount last year and why I got a such a huge amount suddenly. Also 2 years prior they FORGOT to do my taxes so last year I ended up having to pay double!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3064 on: March 08, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Canadian here. Canadians are not exempt from taxes at any point.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3065 on: March 08, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
Canadian here. Canadians are not exempt from taxes at any point.
Okay...Well my case, I personally didn't have to pay in my first 2 years and was never penalised for it.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3066 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »
Samgyeopsal is honestly one of the most disappointing foods, especially if it's just garden variety low quality meat. If you have decent quality meat that isn't 80% fat, it can be pretty awesome, but four out of five times it's just a basic food for basic people.

THANK YOU. I've heard so many people rave about it and it's just like...meat bandaids. Ugh.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #3067 on: March 08, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
Samgyeopsal is "meh" if you aren't going to a good joint for it, and those are few and far between. I'm talking fresh quality pork, non-generic charcoal, and either getting a solid chunk of samgyeopsal (one whole piece) or really nice selected cuts. Usually you have to get out of Seoul for that.

Generic samgyeopsal is for when you're liquored up and its cold out and you're in some vinyl tent or it's summer and you're outside and the food isn't really the point.

But yeah, moksal for the win when just at a normal place.

I will say this- jokbal and makchang have grown on me. Pig feet were barely tolerable and now are some of the best. And makchange made me wretch and now is a delight if its done right (hard to find).

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3068 on: March 09, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
Omg I want to squeeze the stuffing out of the admin at my school. She sits across from me and is generally adorable but this morning, I could tell she was using google translate to let me know that I should tell her if I need anything. I want to shower her with treats.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3069 on: March 09, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Omg I want to squeeze the stuffing out of the admin at my school. She sits across from me and is generally adorable but this morning, I could tell she was using google translate to let me know that I should tell her if I need anything. I want to shower her with treats.

Lol I thought this was going to go in a darker direction. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #3070 on: March 09, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »

Yeah, what the hell is "squeeze the stuffing" out of someone? hahahaa

Offline schnieppster

• Adventurer
« Reply #3071 on: March 09, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

BIG ENTHUSIASTIC HUGS FRIEND.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3072 on: March 09, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »

THANK YOU SCHNIEPPSTER

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3073 on: March 09, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »
I dig beef bbq more than pork in general and the 양냠 marinated bbq is what dreams are made of. Do we consider things like Dalk-galbi and Duck bulgogi kind of BBQ? Those self-cooking meat places I always kind of grouped together in my mind.

Offline schnieppster

• Adventurer
« Reply #3074 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »

THANK YOU SCHNIEPPSTER

AIN'T NO THANG

When I'm happy and I hold it
Iendupsqueezingthestuffingoutofpeople.
I have a happy happy blow up.

...Getting back into the 1st grade mindset.

Can't decide if this year is gonna be harder for me or them.   :undecided:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3075 on: March 09, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
I would love a good cornbread sweet potato stuffing. Stuffing is my favorite side dish of the holidays.

Once I met some friends of a friend here (we were all foreigners) and we were discussing Thanksgiving food.  One nearly got in a tizzy because I and another person were calling it "stuffing" instead of "dressing."  Kept insisting it was the latter even though I said that it was probably just regional difference-- I mean honestly, the person I was talking to wasn't confused nor was I and we acknowledged that it could be either but according to the other person it was "dressing" and any other term was wrong.  Some people are strange  :undecided:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3076 on: March 09, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
I would love a good cornbread sweet potato stuffing. Stuffing is my favorite side dish of the holidays.
Same, I love a good stuffing. I have never had cornbread stuffing though, I should try making that.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3077 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
Luckily I can combine my five renewal vacation days with the upcoming long May holiday and I'm thinking of travelling abroad.

I've never been to Thailand and I'm thinking about a few days in Bangkok.

When I travel I like a mix of shopping, seeing the main tourist things like temples/palaces, and trying as much street food as I can.

To those who have been, was it worth it?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3078 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »

Once I met some friends of a friend here (we were all foreigners) and we were discussing Thanksgiving food.  One nearly got in a tizzy because I and another person were calling it "stuffing" instead of "dressing."  Kept insisting it was the latter even though I said that it was probably just regional difference-- I mean honestly, the person I was talking to wasn't confused nor was I and we acknowledged that it could be either but according to the other person it was "dressing" and any other term was wrong.  Some people are strange  :undecided:
I really hate when people do that. I get it if you really can't comprehend the conversation because of the word choice, but I hate when people get all indignant that the way they say things is the "right way". I mean, some people do actually stuff their turkey. It's like the "pop" versus "soda" versus "cola" argument.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3079 on: March 09, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
Luckily I can combine my five renewal vacation days with the upcoming long May holiday and I'm thinking of travelling abroad.

I've never been to Thailand and I'm thinking about a few days in Bangkok.

When I travel I like a mix of shopping, seeing the main tourist things like temples/palaces, and trying as much street food as I can.

To those who have been, was it worth it?
I would only spend a few days in Bangkok. It wasn't that great in my opinion, though I don't like to spend a lot of time in big cities. So depending on what you like, I would look into a few days there and then spreading out and away from Bangkok.