September 25, 2017, 08:03:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356122 times)

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3040 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
After what was a taxing year, I seem to have landed up in a very sweet gig this year. Although the travelling is new to me, I am absolutely loving being back in rural schools.

I am cautiously optimistic, as I know full well how horribly things can go wrong, but I really am enjoying being at a school where an effort is being made to include me and it is okay for me to ask questions if I feel that I do not understand. I really am just enjoying not feeling overly stressed and anxious, and it is only day 3 - I really have no idea how to catch the correct buses, all my schools have different textbooks, but I feel calm, because I am not constantly worried that someone is going to fly into an insulting rage to  belittle and criticize and break me down at every opportunity. Here's to new beginnings.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3041 on: March 03, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
Bought a bar of dairy milk from ministop. Well 3 actually cos it was 2+1. Just had one and it tasteless absolutely nothing like dairy milk from England. It's been made in the middle east judging by the arabic on the wrapper. It tastes like plastic. What's wrong with this world? We've stooped so low to save a few pennies that we've started producing absolutely disgusting bars of dairy milk now. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't go on like this.

I heard that some familiar brands are reformulated for warmer climates.

The cost is flavour and texture.

YoungMin

« Reply #3042 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
New teacher on the desk to my left.

All I can see out the corner of my eye is her staring at me.

She's not actually staring at me. She's staring at herself in a mirror that she's put on the side of her desk.

Doing my head in.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3043 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
After what was a taxing year, I seem to have landed up in a very sweet gig this year. Although the travelling is new to me, I am absolutely loving being back in rural schools.

I am cautiously optimistic, as I know full well how horribly things can go wrong, but I really am enjoying being at a school where an effort is being made to include me and it is okay for me to ask questions if I feel that I do not understand. I really am just enjoying not feeling overly stressed and anxious, and it is only day 3 - I really have no idea how to catch the correct buses, all my schools have different textbooks, but I feel calm, because I am not constantly worried that someone is going to fly into an insulting rage to  belittle and criticize and break me down at every opportunity. Here's to new beginnings.

I hope things continue swimmingly for you. I've not experienced otherwise but I appreciate my rural schools for being inclusive and generally laid back. So far two schools have the same principal and coTs so I know things will be the same.

I know I'll have one new coT and one new VP at other travel schools I've not yet been to yet. Not sure if the other principals will be the same. But as I'm only at travel schools once a week, it won't be too much suffering if a new person turns out to be less than savory.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #3044 on: March 06, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
A new teacher of an unknown subject started at my school last week.  She is the spitting image of that mother in law in all the Korean dramas (style, hair, demeanor all of it), and I fear she may also have the personality of one too. Subtle things so far makes me think she may be a handful.  She sits next to me now in the teachers office and the first day she sad down next to me when  was preparing a PPT for my class. I could feel her looking at me but many people do that to foreigners so I've learned to ignore. Then in a tone as if I had done something wrong she was like "excuse me? 안녕하세요?" So I politely greeted her back and she looked quite huffy. Relax lady.

I go to that school in the afternoons and I'm at a different one in the morning, but its been my main school for about 3 years. I came in on Friday after school and allll her shit is all over my desk and chair, so I moved it over so I could sit down (she was in class). When she came back (out of the corner of my eye I could see) she looked at me, looked at the stuff, then my chair and desk, about 2 or 3 times and sits down. She asks me in Korean. "Um, do you come here everyday?" Still glancing at the stuff. "Yes I do, except Tuesday" "Oh,...I see." Maybe this seems like nothing... but I can see her becoming a pain in the future.... But we shall see. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3045 on: March 06, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
Would be a shame if you accidentally spilled coffee all over your desk and all her things just happened to be in the way....  :angel: In seriousness though, hopefully she won't be too big a pain.

So apparently the vice principal at my travel school has already been transferred-- I asked my coT, "After only 1 year???" to which she said that there were "lots of stories" but that I didn't need to worry and that that VP had been moved to an island even further out... lol.  Man, wish it were my former travel coT cause then she'd give me all the juicy details! Hahah

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3046 on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
A new teacher of an unknown subject started at my school last week.  She is the spitting image of that mother in law in all the Korean dramas (style, hair, demeanor all of it), and I fear she may also have the personality of one too. Subtle things so far makes me think she may be a handful.  She sits next to me now in the teachers office and the first day she sad down next to me when  was preparing a PPT for my class. I could feel her looking at me but many people do that to foreigners so I've learned to ignore. Then in a tone as if I had done something wrong she was like "excuse me? 안녕하세요?" So I politely greeted her back and she looked quite huffy. Relax lady.

I go to that school in the afternoons and I'm at a different one in the morning, but its been my main school for about 3 years. I came in on Friday after school and allll her shit is all over my desk and chair, so I moved it over so I could sit down (she was in class). When she came back (out of the corner of my eye I could see) she looked at me, looked at the stuff, then my chair and desk, about 2 or 3 times and sits down. She asks me in Korean. "Um, do you come here everyday?" Still glancing at the stuff. "Yes I do, except Tuesday" "Oh,...I see." Maybe this seems like nothing... but I can see her becoming a pain in the future.... But we shall see.

Ugh. Yeah, I can see where that's going. The 'I'm old and have a massive sense of entitlement so I'm just going to be a miserable pain' coworker. Aren't there other people in your office?

Although, if I were you, after moving her stuff, when you saw her come back in, I would've just said, "Hey, sorry, your stuff was on my desk so I moved it here for you." Same thing accomplished, but it's a bit more diplomatic and might encourage her to treat your desk with some more respect.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3047 on: March 06, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »

Ugh. Yeah, I can see where that's going. The I'm old and have a massive sense of entitlement so I'm just going to be a miserable pain coworker. Aren't there other people in your office?

Although, if I were you, after moving her stuff, when you saw her come back in, I would've just said, "Hey, sorry, your stuff was on my desk so I moved it here for you." Same thing accomplished, but it's a bit more diplomatic and might encourage her to treat your desk with some more respect.
Yes that would be her...hopefully it will change..

I suppose I could have said something...but as I am sitting here, she just put her empty cup and teabag as well as used tissues on my desk next to me and continues to work at her own.  :huh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3048 on: March 06, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Dude! What a tool!! Don't put up with that! Nip it in the bud!

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3049 on: March 06, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »

Ugh. Yeah, I can see where that's going. The I'm old and have a massive sense of entitlement so I'm just going to be a miserable pain coworker. Aren't there other people in your office?

Yes that would be her...hopefully it will change..

I suppose I could have said something...but as I am sitting here, she just put her empty cup and teabag as well as used tissues on my desk next to me and continues to work at her own.  :huh:

I've had two different people do that exact same thing with me. Realistically there's not much you can do about it, but you could try something along the lines of, "Sorry, but I like to keep my area really clean, can you please not put your garbage here next time? Thanks."

As always, gotta be deferential because olds can do no wrong.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3050 on: March 06, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
Kill her with kindness?  :undecided:

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #3051 on: March 06, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »

I came in and allll this venting shit was all over the pointless Friday ramblings thread

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3052 on: March 06, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »

I came in and allll this venting shit was all over the pointless Friday ramblings thread

Ok.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3053 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »

Ok.
Happens all the time.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3054 on: March 06, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »

Ok.

The Camden-replacement could use the ranting thread rather than making individual posts every time there's a common issue but it's generally entertaining and honestly who cares that much?

Camden don't care.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3055 on: March 07, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
camden would never use the friday thread to rant

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3056 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
Please, Camden could use the Friday thread to rant and turn it into the new Rant thread.

Because Camden does as Camden wants and who are we to question that?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:23:32 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3057 on: March 07, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
Why do new principals always say to me and my CT that "at other schools, foreign teachers hit the students to please be nice to them!"

It's never the previous guest teacher who did it, but some one at some other school. Is it really common or are they all referring to the same incident or rumor? I'd be shocked to find out that more GETs than KETs hit students. That's a pretty big no-no where we are from and has been for a long time...anyone else get told this too or is it just me? Maybe I'm really intimidating looking and I just didn't know it  :evil:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3058 on: March 07, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
Why do new principals always say to me and my CT that "at other schools, foreign teachers hit the students to please be nice to them!"

It's never the previous guest teacher who did it, but some one at some other school. Is it really common or are they all referring to the same incident or rumor? I'd be shocked to find out that more GETs than KETs hit students. That's a pretty big no-no where we are from and has been for a long time...anyone else get told this too or is it just me? Maybe I'm really intimidating looking and I just didn't know it  :evil:

I call bullshit. Some idiot wayg in 2003 prob slapped a kid on the back too hard and now we're all monsters.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3059 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »

I've gotten this literally every time I've moved to a new school or had a new P or VP come. It's always - "I heard about / I dealt with this one foreigner who [did bad thing], so I want to warn you not to do that."

Every time, I gasp in horror, and say no, no, really? That's terrible. Would I be like that? Of course not. That person was clearly bad. And they smile because they were able to shock me into good behavior and they are satisfied at their proactive approach to dealing with foreigners.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment